Do you enjoy reading?

• Thread starter Barracuda
  • 149 comments

Do you enjoy reading?

• Total voters
And on the subject of reading at school. I don't think I ever read a book in school completley from start to finish, I'd jump around the book and read the bits that I had to write up on, or I'd just copy someone elses stuff.
Ever since leaving school, reading would have to be one of my favourite things to do.

Now that is a very aussie thing to do! I did the same for anything I was forced to read, but I always read my own material in my own time and still do.

I'm currently reading Anthony Kiedis' autobiography, and I'm telling you, It's astoundingly good. Not because he is the lead singer of my favorite band, or a personal hero, but he tells it all so well. A short review from a google search:
Anthony Kiedis’ Scar Tissue might be the best book I’ve read in three or four years.

Yeah... never in a million years did I imagine I’d ever type that out. But I mean each and every word of it. Scar Tissue is an amazing read. I chalk that up to Kiedis' ability to tell a story, and tell it well. He could spend 300 pages talking about unfolding a brown paper grocery bag, and it would read like the most compelling piece of literature you’ve seen in five years.

Fortunately, he doesn’t talk about grocery bags. He talks about being a kid and hanging out at clubs with his dad and Keith Moon. He talks about being baby-sat by Cher. (Yes, the Cher.) He talks passionately about his one true love: The Red Hot Chili Peppers (which he fronts, for those of you who ignored music during the last quarter of the 20th Century). And he talks about his battles with being an addict. A lot.

Despite this seemingly bleak subject matter, the book is not a big, glum diary about drug use. It’s a book about a man who genuinely loves life, the music he makes, and the brothers he makes it with. It’s the story of a man who has one detrimental weakness that prevents him from having absolute control over his life. But, time and time again, he defeats it because he appreciates what he has, and doesn’t want to lose it.

If anything, Scar Tissue transcends being a 465-page Hollywood name-drop and instead sits as a thick tome of vulnerability, where Kiedis opens himself up completely and leaves you wanting to hug him like a troubled big brother afterward.

Do yourself a favor and spend a weekend reading Scar Tissue. You’ll be sad when it ends, because good stories like that aren’t told often enough.
For this, I truly enjoy reading.

I'll read just about anything so long as it holds my interest, but I tend to lean towards non-fiction. I particularly love military history and can spend hours browsing the section at the bookstore.

I just finished Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely. Very interesting, I highly recommend it.

Just finished the Fountainhead again, it was so much more inspiring the second time through, as I don´t think I could fully appreciate it when I read it the first time at 17. It truely makes me want to become a better person. Problem is, I really don´t feel like reading anything else right now as I know it´s going to pale so much in comparison.

Yeah, that is a problem when you finish an Ayn Rand book. :lol: Once you’ve given yourself a few months to decompress, consider picking up Atlas Shrugged.

I just finished Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman!, which of course was excellent (holy hell do I wish I were as smart as he was – he’ll be telling a story about learning to play drums in Brazil, and he’ll casually mention that on the side he found a new fundamental theory of physics). And now I’m reading The Extended Phenotype by Richard Dawkins (have you ever seen tinier text in a book before‽).

Brad, how many times do I have to tell you? No more sticky icky icky…

BTW, I think I might&#8217;ve mentioned earlier in this thread that I was reading The World is Flat. I gave up halfway &#8211; it&#8217;s good info, but he gets way too damn repetitive (if I were writing that book, I would&#8217;ve made it <100 pages).

If you like Clancy...
You NEED to check out Vince Flynn.
His books feature a "hero" named Mitch Rapp.
Mr. Rapp makes Mr. Clark look like a panty-waist.

BTW, I think I might’ve mentioned earlier in this thread that I was reading The World is Flat. I gave up halfway – it’s good info, but he gets way too damn repetitive (if I were writing that book, I would’ve made it <100 pages).

I was thinking of reading its successor, Flat, Hot and Crowded, but I'm sure that I'd be unable to get it finished in time before the next semester starts. My guess is that I'm going to read the second Twilight book, just because I can, and maybe (finally) give one of my Howard Zinn (New Deal Thought) books a run through.

Just finished the Fountainhead again, it was so much more inspiring the second time through, as I don´t think I could fully appreciate it when I read it the first time at 17. It truely makes me want to become a better person. Problem is, I really don´t feel like reading anything else right now as I know it´s going to pale so much in comparison.
I've been listening to the Fountainhead audiobook on my way to work/home for the last month and I'm thinking of getting the actual book once I finish this.

Also, I just started reading Op-Center by Tom Clancy. Average story so far but I'll keep reading it.

I figured instead of creating a new thread would just bring this one back since it seems to be a book discussion.

What are some similar authors to Tom Clancy?
Also, does anyone know of books that involve heists(kind of like the Ocean's films)?

Well, I know a few authors that have done books under the Tom Clancy name, but were "written" by someone else. One of my favorites like this was written by David Micheals, entitled "Endwar". To my knowledge it came out before the game, and I don't know if they have anything in common other than the name, but I would diffidently recommend it. And if you like aviation, and books filled with air combat, read some of the ones. There are a bunch of good ones written by Stephan Coonts.

I hope that gives you a few good ideas.

Well, I know a few authors that have done books under the Tom Clancy name, but were "written" by someone else. One of my favorites like this was written by David Micheals, entitled "Endwar". To my knowledge it came out before the game, and I don't know if they have anything in common other than the name, but I would diffidently recommend it. And if you like aviation, and books filled with air combat, read some of the ones. There are a bunch of good ones written by Stephan Coonts.

I hope that gives you a few good ideas.
That is because Tom Clancy is now a brand. That is why you will see book covers now that say something like, "Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, By Tom Clancy." I do believe any stories not written by Tom Clancy do have to meet some sort of approval, either by him directly or by a set of standards he has put in place, but that is just me guessing on that part.

Basically Tom Clancy books and games have become like Star Wars. George Lucas just gives some approval and collects his royalty checks.

It would be interesting to see if Endwar's story is the basis for the story in the game.

As for similar to Tom Clancy stories, I think Robert Ludlum (Bourne series) has a similar feel, although a bit more wordy. Just know that Ludlum's books and movies based on them are completely different stories.

Last edited:
And The Bourne Identity (#1) is the only one really worth reading out of those, though Ludlum has written other books well worth reading. The Rhinemann Exchange is a good start.

I don't read anything with Clancy's name on it that Clancy didn't actually write.

For a heist book, try reading The Golden Gate by Alistair Maclean or The Anderson Tapes by Lawrence Sanders. Older stuff, but good.

And The Bourne Identity (#1) is the only one really worth reading out of those,
I agree. I was reading them in college and I honestly cannot remember anything from the second, and I think I quit halfway through the third.

&#304; enjoy reading a lot. like, a LOT. &#304; read books- or rather, consume them. &#304; couldnt imagine a life without books.

Oh, and John Steinbeck is one of my all time favourite authors, together with Bill Bryson.

Everyone should read The grapes of wrath- if you havent already, do so...immediately.

I read :gtplanet: and I read people's expressions on the TV, does that count?

Jerome

i only say kind of because my ADD keeps me from sitting still for any amount of time. so lately ive been getting into audio books, especially while at work. its fun to stock shelves and listen to harry potter haha

i only say kind of because my ADD keeps me from sitting still for any amount of time. so lately ive been getting into audio books, especially while at work. its fun to stock shelves and listen to harry potter haha
I use audiobooks a lot because of my long drive to work and if you are interested I can point you to some resources for free online stuff by independent authors or a monthly fee service I use that gets me one mainstream title a month. PM me if you want the information, so as to avoid spamming the thread.

I use audiobooks a lot because of my long drive to work and if you are interested I can point you to some resources for free online stuff by independent authors or a monthly fee service I use that gets me one mainstream title a month. PM me if you want the information, so as to avoid spamming the thread.

Or you can just use the library where the books are you know, free. I get audiobooks all the time from the library and just rip them onto my Zune so I'm not holding up someone else who might want the book. I typically get the abridged stuff too since most book do not require the full text to be entertaining.

I used to work at an audiobook store too which rented them sort of like a Blockbuster deal, so I sort of got used to listening to certain stories rather then reading them.

===

Right now I'm reading the Engines of Light trilogy by Ken MacLeod. They aren't bad but like most science fiction they get a bit wordy at times.

Or you can just use the library where the books are you know, free. I get audiobooks all the time from the library and just rip them onto my Zune...

Copyright infringement much?

Oh, yeah, I forgot - you don't give a crap about that.

Copyright infringement much?

Oh, yeah, I forgot - you don't give a crap about that.

Accusations and personal attacks much?

I worked at an audiobook rental store and I was told by numerous audiobook reps that it was fine to put copies onto an MP3 player if you only used it one time and then deleted it...which is what I did. I see no difference between renting or checking out a book from the library, putting it on my MP3 player, and then deleting it after I have listened to it and just using the CD's.

As long as you delete it after one use... right.

And the accusation once again, I'd appreciate it if you stopped.

Why would I keep an audiobook after I listened to it once? Look if an audiobook rep, who is employed in the industry, says it is OK, then I'm going to assume it's OK. Not to mention just about everyone who rented material through the store I worked at did the exact same thing, including police officers.

And by doing it through the library I fail to see how I'm breaking any laws since I can sit at a library all day and make photocopies of every page from a reference book.

This is not even mentioning the 100's of free, legal books I download through Gutenberg.com.

And the accusation once again, I'd appreciate it if you stopped.

Why would I keep an audiobook after I listened to it once? Look if an audiobook rep, who is employed in the industry, says it is OK, then I'm going to assume it's OK. Not to mention just about everyone who rented material through the store I worked at did the exact same thing, including police officers.

And by doing it through the library I fail to see how I'm breaking any laws since I can sit at a library all day and make photocopies of every page from a reference book.

This is not even mentioning the 100's of free, legal books I download through Gutenberg.com.

Not to mention the fact that if you just used the audiobook directly it would be the same thing as burning it onto an mp3 player.:dunce:

Actually by burning it onto the mp3 player you are helping the library since they will get it back faster which means they can lend it back out faster.

Back