Dodge/Mobil 1 Series GAD 100KM at Rome, room opens 12 pm est Sat

• Thread starter Ganon83
  • 332 comments
You read my mind, I was thinking about doing that for SSRX. :lol:

Great racing today all, I'm really looking forward to next week.

In order to build up the race this weekend, I'm going to start a new "monster" post to tie up all the storylines and going ons heading into Saturday's race- and it begins right now.

Can Niop make it two for two?
Niop won the very first DM1 race last Saturday. Will he show up on Saturday to defend his points lead?

Road Racin' Time
This weekend will mark the 2nd race ever in DM1, but more importantly it will be our first road course. Suzuka East is a pretty "tame" road course- it's basically an oval with esses on the back straight- but it will be interesting to see how our drivers will adapt to this new style of racing. It will also be interesting to see if we have any "road course ringers" who join specifically for this race.

Aceboy is ready to go
Ace led the very first lap in DM1 competition but was one spot away from the cigar. Ace enters Suzuka hungry and loaded for bear- while hoping to surprise Niop for the first championship. :scared:

Third place throwdown!
An amazing finish for third place had Stormtrooper spinning across the line as both RPH and Crazy were trying to pass each other. RPH might have the most momentum of anyone in GTP right now- coming off the heels of a huge win in Sprint Cup that established him as a championship contender.

Connection problems? (Mostly) Solved!
After the horrible start last Saturday, the room became much more stable because I turned off Fixed Host (Thanks again, Niop!). While there is still a mic issue or two to sort out (In specific, Vanilla), the room should be running much more smooth now.

Strategy time?
There are a number of ways you can win races. One is simply to drive hard. Another way is to drive smart. And some use a combination of the two to win races and championships. With the mandatory pit rule in effect, the 44 lap race at Suzuka will have plenty of different strategys coming in- not related to fuel, but to tires. When is the best time to pit to maximize tire wear? That is the question many will attempt to answer on Saturday...... and one will be correct.

An extended schedule?
There's a possiblity of DM1 to extending from 4 races to 8 races (And offically making this Season 1) if there is a good turnout for Saturday. The new races would probably be Laguna, Motegi, another RC, than ending the first season at Indy.

Finally...... What's in a Race Name?
The Elmo Langley 100km is named in honor of an often forgotten NASCAR legend named Elmo Langley. Elmo was born in Landover Maryland, just a couple of hours where I live. After a pretty good career (535 starts in Cup and a pair of wins), Elmo's biggest two claims to fame came after his career ended- he was the offical Winston Cup Pace Car driver for a number of years, and in 1991, in a special Legends race at Charlotte (Which featured such greats as Fred Lorenzen, Richard Childress, Tim Flock, and Junior Johnson among countless others), Elmo beat Cale Yarborough by 3 feet in the only lap Cale didn't led that day.
Elmo passed away when, before a NASCAR exhibition race at Suzuka, he experienced chest pains and was pronounced dead when his heart stopped beating while transporting him to a hospital.

Nice write up Ganon. 👍
I'm looking forward to SuzE, hopefully we get a good turnout.

Saturdays are difficult for me, I really don't know if I can race until its time for race start. I really like the looks of this though, so if I can free myself up, I'll be there with a #7 on my door. :D

...meh...

photo-17.jpg

That's better. :cool:

Updated the OP to include Mudd on sign up and changed thread title.
So, anybody up for some practice tomorrow/today? I'm free for whenever.

Updated the OP to include Mudd on sign up and changed thread title.
So, anybody up for some practice tomorrow/today? I'm free for whenever.
I'll probably be on tomorrow night after some Sprint Cup practice.

I'm down for an extended season but will not and I mean 100%, will not attend any road course races. I retired from those after the first road course race in Nationwide this past season. Prior to that I had a 6.33 avg finish at road courses. But I somehow unseemingly fell off pace on those types of tracks. Ill stick to all the oval events. Just a headsup.

That was a great write-up, ganon. 👍

I'm in favor of an extended season. Perhaps High Speed Ring could be the new road course added to the schedule?

High speed ring may be the only Road Course I would participate in. And indeed, a very nice monologue Ganon 👍

Last edited:
Actually, the #7 isn't a tribute to any particular driver, it's simply allready on all of my number plates. :lol:

Actually mates, I was thinking of a very oft forgotten track in GT5, Rome, which is more of a roval then a road course.
Might even get rid of Laguna to make room for HSR. Nothing will be final until when/if it is announced. Laguna, though, feels more like your typical road course then any of the others, so IDK.

No love for Robby Gordon either.

You're seriously comparing Robby Gordon to the last great owner/driver to win the Winston/Sprint Cup championship (in 1992, on a relative shoestring budget)? Yes, I know Stewart is technically a champion owner/driver, but he's a half-owner, and gets all of his equipment from someone else's shop. Kulwicki did everything independently in his own shop, including building his own engines. His 10-point championship win in 1992 against Bill Elliott (Junior Johnson's team) and Davey Allison (Robert Yates's team) might be the most unlikely upset win in Winston/Sprint Cup championship history.

The other guy is Robby ****ing Gordon. In fact, Robby Gordon even chose the number 7 because he was inspired by Alan Kulwicki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Kulwicki

You have to give credit to Robby, though- he didn't take the money when Danica offered to buy his number.

You have to give credit to Robby, though- he didn't take the money when Danica offered to buy his number.

Did he even race this past year? I know I saw a lot of him out in 2011, but it seemed like his car wasn't even at the track most weekends in 2012, not even with a different driver. I know Robby does a lot of off-road racing, and all sorts of other stuff, but he's usually still good for 25-30 starts a season in his own Sprint Cup car.

Did she really.
Yeah, that's my guess.
Granted, Robby isn't a saint, but I'd rather have an independent owner driver honor Kulwicki then the very opposite of what Kulwicki stood for (That if you work hard enough, you can accomplish anything without big dollars or a big team)
And yes, Robby ran the first few races and Sonoma. He hopes to run part time again in 2013.

I'm all for Kulwicki, polish pride here if u haven't noticed my name. I would love to win so I could do a polish victory lap!

To answer your question Ryan & a reply to Ganon. Robby Gordon will probably run a few races next season. He created a Indoor Trophy Truck Series & runs an energy drink company. So he will probably run what he can in NASCAR with the #7.

In light of the tragedy that happened in Connecticut today, there will be an extra pace lap this week. After the first pace lap we will stop on the front stretch for a moment of silence.

Just found out about that on the Opinions/Events forum. :( Absolutely disgusting. 👎:yuck:

Back