DTM Season 4 - Interest Thread

• Thread starter TS
  • 73 comments

TS

Anybody game for another season of the DTM championship? I want to to something different than before, shorter season (10 races max) different tracks, and maybe a couple new rules.

I'm open to suggestions.

I'm up for another go in both M and K Klasses. :D Reducing the series to 10 rounds would be a good idea as well to get more in line with the real-world DTM.

Tracks: Until GT gets the Hockenheimring, we need a GT equivalent to it(Maybe Grand Valley Speedway?). Also, I think Seoul Central would make for a better Norisring than Motorland. I printed out the post from Season 3 in regards to the schedule and tracks that were used and I'll go over it to see what can be done for it in a tracks sense.

Points: You think we can reduce the points awarded for pole and fast lap along with eliminating the 'Minuteman' bonus? I think the latter may have played a hand in deciding the drivers titles a little too soon along with I think people leaving before the series was over.

One thing i'd like to suggest - could this start after GTPLMS? Its just that there are not that many people entering series at the mo so running 2 high profile ones at the same time may reduce participation in both.

I think i'd be up for DTM but running GTPLMS is/will take up too much of my time to do both.

Andy

I'm interested, but as I've never participated, I don't have any rule suggestions. 👍

It's been a fairly competitive series the last couple years I've been in charge of it, when we have enough interest into going for season 4, I'll start the signups.

One thing i'd like to suggest - could this start after GTPLMS? Its just that there are not that many people entering series at the mo so running 2 high profile ones at the same time may reduce participation in both.

I think i'd be up for DTM but running GTPLMS is/will take up too much of my time to do both.

Andy

It's fine with me.

I did a little work on a possible track list today, based on the size/shape of tracks in GT4 compared to the actual tracks raced in DTM.

Hockenheim - Fuji '05 GT
Eurospeedway - Apricot Hill
Norisring - Seoul Central or Clubman Stage Route 5
Zandovoort - Deep Forest, Grand Valley or Motegi
Oschersleben - Midfield
Nurburgring - Laguna Seca
Brands Hatch - Motegi West or Suzuka East
Barcelona - Deep Fores or GV East
Dijon - Suzuka West or Motegi East

Tell me what you guys think. :)

TS
I did a little work on a possible track list today, based on the size/shape of tracks in GT4 compared to the actual tracks raced in DTM.

Hockenheim - Fuji '05 GT
Oschersleben - Midfield

Hmm...Well, i'd probably go with Seoul Central as the "Norisring" race (Even though i LOVE Clubman, Seoul is a better fit in the series IMO), Deep Forest as "Zandovoort", Suzuka East as "Brands Hatch", Grand Valley East as "Barcelona" and Motegi East as "Dijon".

I feel that a championship like this should feature a little bit of everything as well as having lesser-used versions of Suzuka, Motegi & Grand Valley (That i've NEVER seen used in a race series on GTP)...I'll Probably participate in this series when the time comes, but i'm (Mostly) focused on the GTPLMS for now...

I like the sound of the track list a la Kingofweasles - not just the same old Fuji 90s, Suzuka, Infineon etc. etc.

TS

Hockenheim - Fuji '05 GT
Oschersleben - Midfield

I'd think a little differently from Kingofweasles and ABud. Clubman is definitely closer to Norisring, although Seoul would be fine, too; I'd also choose Grand Valley for Zandovoort, Suzuka East for Brands Hatch, Deep Forest for Barcelona, and... hm... none of the above for Dijon. :dopey: It's actually a tough one to find a match for, excluding the ones you've already chosen. El Capitan is too long to match perfectly but seems like the best fit overall to me.

I disagree with you on a couple of the ones you didn't give us a choice for. Eurospeedway, especially after watching an onboard lap, bears no resemblance to Apricot Hill, IMO. Motegi East seems much better. Oschersleben is vaguely like Midfield, but SSR5, Suzuka West, or Apricot Hill would be much more accurate.

Last edited:
I just based my picks on distance and a comparison on track shape.

I can and will make changes, it's still gonna be a while before the sign ups start.

Alright, I did some testing last night around a couple courses and came up with some basic car settings in arcade mode:

M-Klasse
440HP/1000kg

K-Klasse
350HP/1000kg

I'm in. You always need somebody to finish last. LOL. But like Abud mentioned. After GTPLMS. Not knowledgeable enough to offer any decent suggestions. But would like to participate

I'm in. You always need somebody to finish last. LOL. But like Abud mentioned. After GTPLMS. Not knowledgeable enough to offer any decent suggestions. But would like to participate

:lol:

I did a pretty good job at that last season.

TS
:lol:

I did a pretty good job at that last season.

You obviously haven't seen my times lately. LOL. But I have fun and the times are coming down.

Last edited:

Same goes for me. 👍

As crazy as my online racing schedule is about to become, I'm up for it.

As for race distance, what do you think it should be? Today's race at the Norisring was about 180 km, so I was thinking the proposed race distance for each round should be either...
  • 100 km
  • 120 km or 2/3rd's distance
  • 150 km/3/4th's distance
  • 180 km/Full Distance

Waiting for GTPLMS results. Went over to dtm.com. Here is the race info for the season.

HTML:
Track	Km	Laps	Length

Hock	4.574	39	178.38
ES	3.478	52	180.85
Nor	2.300	80	184.00
Zand	4.307	39	167.97
Ob	3.696	47	173.71
Nur	3.629	48	174.19
Brands	1.929	93	179.39
Barc	2.977	59	175.64
Dijon	3.801	52	197.65
Hock	4.574	38	173.81
Just a thought.

Maybe have a team competition also. This could be established only after the completion of race 5. That way we would have an idea of the standings and number of drivers still in. Driver #1 paired #10, 2+9, 3+8 and so on. Team placing based on the cumulative time of both drivers in the races going back to #1. Could be done probably with as little as 4-6 drivers. 1+6, 2+5, 3+4. This way the drivers who are in the 2nd & 3rd tier of the standings 4-7 and 8-10 would still have the motivation of racing til the completion of the race series.

Last edited:
As for race distance, what do you think it should be? Today's race at the Norisring was about 180 km, so I was thinking the proposed race distance for each round should be either...
  • 100 km
  • 120 km or 2/3rd's distance
  • 150 km/3/4th's distance
  • 180 km/Full Distance

I want it to be as close to full distance as arcade mode will allow me.

It's been a long time, I've gone through hellish exams, and I know I've missed a HELL of a lot of races in the previous seasons. But I'm back, and ready to join in. :)

And in both classes too. Long races will do me fine, I agree with you on that, and the track ideas all look good, I'm not too fussed about those. 👍

I'm interested, but I'm new to this whole "online racing league" thing. Is there a certain time that I should be shooting for in order to participate? One might say a minimum qualifying time? Or would you take someone who'll always be towards the back? :)

I'm interested, but I'm new to this whole "online racing league" thing. Is there a certain time that I should be shooting for in order to participate? One might say a minimum qualifying time? Or would you take someone who'll always be towards the back? :)

None that I know of. Just have fun!

Back