Exhaust sound

Germany
Germany
Hi all,
sorry if this has been discussed before.

First of all, i would like to note that I highly appreciate the work PD has put into the sound design. Overall I believe they made a great job. Some cars sound better than others of course.

As the PD team is obviously obsessed with details (visuals in particular), I was wondering why some cars are missing their unique sound features. Is it due to technical limitations?

What comes to mind are missing dual clutch transmission up shift „bangs“ (e.g. for all 2010s AMGs) or the typical DSG „fart“ of the VW GTI (which I own IRL). It seems like most games do not get that right…

Have you noticed any other „wrong“ or missing sounds? Maybe some PD developer is reading these forums and may get some improvement ideas for the next big update ;).

By the way, my GTI is completely stock and it really is only the upshift bangs that i am missing. Other than that they nailed it.

Thanks for your opinions.

Have you tried driving in every camera view and testing this? The car sounds different depending on your camera view. For example, race cut gears are much louder in your are in cockpit view. You don’t really hear them with a bumper or hood cam.

Have you tried driving in every camera view and testing this? The car sounds different depending on your camera view. For example, race cut gears are much louder in your are in cockpit view. You don’t really hear them with a bumper or hood cam.
Yes. Unfortunately no „bangs“ 💥 (the Super Formula cars however do have them, that is why i do not believe it is a technical limitation).

This may be „nitpicking“ for some, but I just enjoy engine/exhaust sounds so much 🤪

To better understand what I am talking about:

The AMG in the vid probably has the so called AMG Performance Exhaust which was optional. But I do not know if that had any effect on the upshift exhaust noise. You wont find a clip of an A45 without that bang sound. The GTI is completely stock.

Last edited:
While this certianly is physically correct for sound related to camera position, it should be an exception to your own cars sound to fully enjoy the quality instead of having it muffled for being up front or on top of the car instead of on the inside.

The sounds coming from under the hood of this car while driving are like ASMR

Camera: On the hood
1721631061415.png

The 2006 Ford GT with exhaust installed sounds like a Honda Civic. I'll always be salty about that for as long as this game is relevant.
Honestly, where's the:

and the:

and the:

Also, the LFA! It sounds fantastic in the cockpit, but the TV cam leaves a lot of that wailing sound out:

While this certianly is physically correct for sound related to camera position, it should be an exception to your own cars sound to fully enjoy the quality instead of having it muffled for being up front or on top of the car instead of on the inside.
IIRC GT6 had this feature, letting you choose which camera's POV sound you wanted to hear in every view.

Last edited:
We'd need a bug to switch the camera sounds only, keeping the chosen view stuck.

Honestly, where's the:

and the:

and the:

Also, the LFA! It sounds fantastic in the cockpit, but the TV cam leaves a lot of that wailing sound out:

IIRC GT6 had this feature, letting you choose which camera's POV sound you wanted to hear in every view.

It's unfortunate how it sounds in teh game because it sounds nothing like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEjLTsNzSBQ

Idk if it's supposed to sound that way or if its something wrong with my copy but when you let off the gas in the 88 Toyota Supra(with anit-lag), it sound like static. Also, the Mustang GT and the Shelby Gt500 do NOT sound the same.

-2015 Mustang and GT350R both sound the same as mentioned above, which they shouldn't.
-The 1970 challenger, Super Bee and Superbird all sound quiet and flat, whether tuned or not.
-The Honda Beat sounds like a 4-cylinder unless you upgrade the exhaust, then it sounds like the 3 cylinder it actually is.
-The Volvo V40 sounds like a 5-cylinder stock, which is great, but if you fit too many upgrades it sounds like a 4 cylinder. Boo and hiss.
-Most cars have an increased redline when upgraded, but many of their sounds don't change in pitch. If you upgrade your Golf GTi, it'll rev to over 8000rpm, but it'll still sound like the stock rev range, which barely goes to 7.
-Certain cars like the Mk 4 Supra and TVR Tuscan sound waaaay too muted when upgraded. If you've ever heard a straight-piped Tuscan, you'll know it's loud, guttural and borderline terrifying. In GT7 you can have it running 600hp and it'll sound like any stock straight-6.

The sounds is not perfect. But they have come a very long way since gt6.
Some are better than others, depending on the car upgrades can have a major sound differences, most of the time better than stock in my opinion.
And that was never the case with gt6 and previous gt titles.

Not many racing games nowdays changes it sounds with the depth gt7 does with car upgrades. I think gt8 will improve om this even futher.

Last edited:
I believe they changed/fixed some sounds with the latest update.

Ford GT 06 does not sound like a Civic anymore; i tried all exhausts except for racing and they sound fine to me. @Talon16 What do you think?

Ford GT 06 does not sound like a Civic anymore; i tried all exhausts except for racing and they sound fine to me. @Talon16 What do you think?
I need to hear a before and after... I tried the different exhausts just now, it sounds fine up to the semi racing exhaust, but the racing exhaust sounds very civic-y.

I'll have a listen next time I am on, but mine has the racing exhaust installed. If a lower level exhaust makes it sound better, I may just install that instead despite the power reduction.

This is pre-1.49, but listen to this... does anything about this engine tone say big-boy V8?!

Last edited:
Gt7 has a pretty good sound design overall. Ford gt 06 was sadly not one of them it sounded so weak have not tried after the new update. Need to,go through more cars to see if there is anymore changes. The gallardo sounded really fantastic,

I quite liked the Ford GT '06 honestly. The rasp added by the racing exhaust gives it a bark like the flat pane crank Ferrari V8, but I get how it could be an acquired taste when it's an old school V8. I'm pretty certain that the other exhausts retained the muscle car sound though, even pre-update.

For example, a car that sounds really good, the Mangusta, with a semi racing exhaust:

Most other muscle cars don't come even close, it's odd, they lack the grunt.

-2015 Mustang and GT350R both sound the same as mentioned above, which they shouldn't.
-The 1970 challenger, Super Bee and Superbird all sound quiet and flat, whether tuned or not.
-The Honda Beat sounds like a 4-cylinder unless you upgrade the exhaust, then it sounds like the 3 cylinder it actually is.
-The Volvo V40 sounds like a 5-cylinder stock, which is great, but if you fit too many upgrades it sounds like a 4 cylinder. Boo and hiss.
-Most cars have an increased redline when upgraded, but many of their sounds don't change in pitch. If you upgrade your Golf GTi, it'll rev to over 8000rpm, but it'll still sound like the stock rev range, which barely goes to 7.
-Certain cars like the Mk 4 Supra and TVR Tuscan sound waaaay too muted when upgraded. If you've ever heard a straight-piped Tuscan, you'll know it's loud, guttural and borderline terrifying. In GT7 you can have it running 600hp and it'll sound like any stock straight-6.
Yup, that's almost all of the complaints I have with the engine sounds. I've also got a bit of a problem with some of the race cars sounding way more calm and muted than they should, especially stuff like the Zonda R and DBR9.

Yup, that's almost all of the complaints I have with the engine sounds. I've also got a bit of a problem with some of the race cars sounding way more calm and muted than they should, especially stuff like the Zonda R and DBR9.
I feel like a lot of the Gr.3 V8 cars like the Corvette and F-Type sound a tad clean for what they are. The Sauber C9 and Chaparral 2J both sound guttural but a lot of the Gr.3 V8's sound kinda dull.

For example, a car that sounds really good, the Mangusta, with a semi racing exhaust:

Most other muscle cars don't come even close, it's odd, they lack the grunt.

Its sounds great, but i think challanger demon proably take the top spot for the best muscle car sound in the game, its so good,
And that supercharger whine is just incrediable, pd nail this one, witch is not always given with american cars.

I stand by what i said earlier gt7 has quite good sound design, and how far it come since gt6 is incrediable, there is some cars that could sound better for sure, but overall its pretty good still, what they could really work on for gt8 is to give the cars more rawness to the sound,
Some still has in gt7 once upgraded, but it dosen’t apply to all of them sadly.

Last edited:
Its sounds great, but i think challanger demon proably take the top spot for the best muscle car sound in the game, its so good,
And that supercharger whine is just incrediable, pd nail this one, witch is not always given with american cars.
There's a good few american cars (or engines) with great sounds. The Demon is definitely up there. Both De Tomasos sounds excellent, the '69 Camaro sounds really good, especially on a semi racing exhaust, the Hellcat sounds pretty raspy too. My favourite, though not a muscle car, is the C6 Corvette ZR1. when you tune it, the pitch goes up with the revs unlike some, and it sounds insane. I've done a couple of videos for best (and one for worst) cars sounds, and the ZR1 is pretty much top of my list so far.

Last edited:
Back