Expert AdviceF1 2010-2016 

• Thread starter SHaDe-
  • 16 comments
I'd not use such extreme camber angles. Especially if you have tyre wear on. Thoses setups are for TTs I think.

While extreme negative camber will provide increased cornering grip it is detrimental to braking and acceleration, both very important at Monaco. If you shift your camber back towards the centre slightly you'll notice braking distances decrease and traction improves.

Personally I run with max. downforce at Monaco and my best was a 1.12.9xx in TT mode.

Just use the 2nd preset setup the enigneer gives you and practise practise practise.
I qualified 13th and got 12 in the race on expert in a HRT (20% race dist).
For the race, keep especially concentrated after turn as as you have to brake on the right time. If you won't, your front wing is toast and you have to get a new one = finishing somewhere around the last places.

I thought expert didn't allow aids?

Correct you have to change to a custom difficulty, you can still keep the a.i.'s difficulty at the same level as expert though.

Just use the 2nd preset setup the enigneer gives you and practise practise practise.
I qualified 13th and got 12 in the race on expert in a HRT (20% race dist).
For the race, keep especially concentrated after turn as as you have to brake on the right time. If you won't, your front wing is toast and you have to get a new one = finishing somewhere around the last places.

Tip for the first corner, if you carry too much speed in and you know it (for instance a lockup) turn in early and cut the curbing, you MAY get a penalty if you keep doing this over and over, or if you overtake another car doing this, but it's better than having no wing. Penalty is 10seconds, a lost front wing at the first corner will probably cost you 40seconds.

I am struggling with this manual shift business.

1) Especially downshifting after a long straight going into a slow corner. I find myself clicking, clicking away and most of the time entering in the wrong gear (eg. want to be in 2nd but ending up in 1st/3rd or even neutral).

2) How do you optimise engine braking with downshifting? ( I dont use ABS)

3) When is the best time to up shift? In the redline or just before hitting the red line?

Any advice from the experts? Thanks for your time

I am struggling with this manual shift business.

1) Especially downshifting after a long straight going into a slow corner. I find myself clicking, clicking away and most of the time entering in the wrong gear (eg. want to be in 2nd but ending up in 1st/3rd or even neutral).

2) How do you optimise engine braking with downshifting? ( I dont use ABS)

3) When is the best time to up shift? In the redline or just before hitting the red line?

Any advice from the experts? Thanks for your time

1. Heavily depends on the track, your appointed gear ratios, and your downforce. The higher the downforce, the faster your car will halt, therefore bringing about more rapid downshifting. Ideally, you'll want to downshift subtly as downshifting too quickly tends to cause the front end of the car to become slight unstable. The quickest way to counteract this is to upshift.

2. Whether you use ABS or not (I do) don't stomp on the brake as if you were in a GT racer, feather it lightly but with enough momentum that you can tell there's enough applied pressure that won't cause you over cook the corner entry.

3. Just before. If you allow it to redline you'll actually lose speed (and time) as opposed to gaining it.

I'll PM you one of my videos to show you what I mean.

Thank you T12 I will take your advice. Brilliant quality video. You sure as 24 Nov are a smooth driver. I have never been able to take that 1st corner at Bahrain so fast. (and that little chicane thingy after the 2nd turn). I think I am stomping the brakes too much ala Shift style :scared:

Zeekon are you a pad or a wheel? I'm a pad and also use automatic. I'm getting a dfgt for Christmas and I want to learn to shift then.

Zeekon are you a pad or a wheel? I'm a pad and also use automatic. I'm getting a dfgt for Christmas and I want to learn to shift then.

You're a pad, Luke?

Must have had a very tough childhood, with everyone wanting to press your buttons and all. :P

Can't imagine being a wheel is any easier.... :dopey:

I have the DFGT since Shift days Ak. I have been happy with it so far, no breakdowns or problems. I understand it will be the wheel to support GT5 as well. Manual shift is a lot of fun when you get it right. I wish I started doing it a long time ago. Definetly the faster way around the track. I bet you cant wait for Christmas mate :nervous:

I'll PM you one of my videos to show you what I mean.

I have been watching the video a few times now. You really nailed the gearing on that track absolutely spot on. Must be nice to be so clever :dopey:

Yes terronium I'm a pad. And it was a tough childhood.:lol:
But what a good Christmas it will be. I tried learning how to shift in f1 2009 but then I realized that it would be impossible to use kers. I might try with gran turismo 4 because I'm doing the hold r2 trick on that. Also zeekon, are you using the buttons at the back of the wheel or the stick at the side of the wheel?

I use the paddles Luke. Trying to brake,downshift, checking traffic and not spinning out dont allow you to take your hands off the wheel. I use the stick to hang my scarf on :sly:

I'm really struggling through on Expert at the minute, driving for Red Bull.

I'm at Monaco now, and using these set ups: http://www.racedepartment.com/f1-2010-setups/

With them I finished 10th in Catalunya and I'm struggling to crack the top 20 in Practice at Monaco... with a RED BULL.

Any tips for me?

use the preset on the far right - has oversteer characteristics, then change to: front downforce 10, rear 8, ride height 2. I won the Monaco gp in my lotus (expert) you lose so much downforce when you increase ride height and don't really lose much with it very low :)

Latest Posts

Back