Formula 1 Grand Prix de Monaco 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 513 comments
adg4qBQ_460s.jpg
alomonaco.jpg

So Albon held up Leclerc for an entire lap passing blue flags and lights in double figures, cost him nearly 4 seconds and third place. Even at the end of the lap he didn't actually let him pass, he locked up and wait straight on at T1.

Meanwhile Latifi held up Sainz from pit exit to the tunnel entrance also passing multiple blue flags, maybe costing him the win.

I guess the FIA just don't bother penalising Williams any more.

Not sure how much of the Saudi car could be recycled, likewise this Monaco chassis, there's not much I can see they could salvage from that except maybe the T-Cam and a wheel.
Rear wing looked in tact.
Halo(assuming this is not a free part)
While their are risks to using parts that have suffered a high G-Load with a proper budget cap this year, it might force teams to see what they can recycle/reuse rather than simple insert a few credits into the part vending machine.

1653883490346.png

If there hadn't been team orders in Spain, it'd be one point and they'd be 1-2 in the championship.
If they had the same amount of DNFs, the gap would be 36 points.

Also, how does a 15 point gap become a 1 point gap if Perez led the 1-2 in Spain rather than Verstappen? That would make it an 8 point gap.

Last edited:
If they had the same amount of DNFs, the gap would be 36 points.

Also, how does a 15 point gap become a 1 point gap if Perez led the 1-2 in Spain rather than Verstappen? That would make it an 8 point gap.
Because Pérez gains seven and Max loses seven. Though in reality Max would've won without team orders.

Because Pérez gains seven and Max loses seven. Though in reality Max would've won without team orders.
Hard to say, while he was on fresh rubber, he had no DRS.
So he would gain in the corners and out of the corners for the straights, but if checo deployed ERS in a defensive manner he could've kept max at bay.

Last edited:
I was rooting for Leclerc to win this one and that was pretty disappointing. After re-watched some of the highlights, I can't help but think that unless Ferrari has a seriously dominant car where the drivers can compensate for their odd/flawed strategic decisions, Ferrari will not win another championship. At this point, Red Bull is just going to run away with it bar more reliability issues/DNFs.

I wonder, mainly because it was clear that the chassis of Ferrari is the best of the field. It rotates fast and smooth.
Hamilton needed to use the throttle to turn and Verstappen also couldn’t turn as smooth as Leclerc and Sainz.
That is a big advantage for the Red Brigade.

I expect RedBull to be faster in Baku, because they have less drag in their car design.
Would love to see those big rule changes every other year. Different concepts deliver different results. Didn’t expected that upfront of the season.

Still don't think this track is worthy of being on the calender. This was one of the better modern Monaco races and it was still a highspeed parade. If we absolutely must keep it for tRaDiTiOnS, maybe we should turn this into an exhibition race of sorts. Or hell just give the F1 drivers go karts. 🤣

It's a 14-point swing. Perez gains seven (18 -> 25), Verstappen loses seven (25 -> 18).

Edit: I know it's several hours later, and we don't really observe double-posting etiquette in race threads but...

... I've just read the rejections of the Ferrari protest and I need to double-check that I've read what I think I read.

Ferrari claim both Red Bulls put a portion of their left wheels over the yellow line demarcating pit exit. Red Bull agree that this was the case. The race notes say that the cars must remain fully to the right of that line...

... but the stewards say that the notes are derived from 2021 rules on pit lane exits, where the 2022 ones only say cars may not "cross" the line, so the notes are wrong because they can't override the rules, and as only a bit of the tyre crossed the line the car didn't.

Right?

Last edited:
Still don't think this track is worthy of being on the calender. This was one of the better modern Monaco races and it was still a highspeed parade. If we absolutely must keep it for tRaDiTiOnS, maybe we should turn this into an exhibition race of sorts. Or hell just give the F1 drivers go karts. 🤣
I said this last year and honestly if they want to keep this track on the calendar, they should probably turn it into a time attack event. Don't race there because with the current car, that track is not a "race-able" track. Qualifiers on the other hand are quite fun there which I why I think a time attack even might work.

They could still have the 2 practice sessions (Friday), 1 round to eliminate the bottom 10 (Saturday) and then the last round can be top 10 shootout (Sunday) and points are still awarded on Sunday. I don't know if that would work but it's an idea.

Wildly mediocre race, which is par the course for Monaco. Happy to see Perez get the win after the silliness in Spain. Leclerc should rightly be mad with the clown car that is Ferrari F1.

It's a 14-point swing. Perez gains seven (18 -> 25), Verstappen loses seven (25 -> 18).

Edit: I know it's several hours later, and we don't really observe double-posting etiquette in race threads but...

... I've just read the rejections of the Ferrari protest and I need to double-check that I've read what I think I read.

Ferrari claim both Red Bulls put a portion of their left wheels over the yellow line demarcating pit exit. Red Bull agree that this was the case. The race notes say that the cars must remain fully to the right of that line...

... but the stewards say that the notes are derived from 2021 rules on pit lane exits, where the 2022 ones only say cars may not "cross" the line, so the notes are wrong because they can't override the rules, and as only a bit of the tyre crossed the line the car didn't.

Right?
Right.

On another note, here are the on-boards of Leclerc being held up

Albon POV, passing just the 21 blue flags/boards.

How has he got away with that?

Last edited:
Right.

On another note, here are the on-boards of Leclerc being held up

Albon POV, passing just the 21 blue flags/boards.

How has he got away with that?
Albon claims he would've re-passed Charles, so it was quicker to stay in front.
Albon defended his refusal to make way, saying his slick tyres meant he would have quickly been able to re-pass Leclerc had he let the Ferrari through.

“It’s tricky because we went out on slicks and we had a massive pace advantage,” Albon explained. “It would take three corners to let him past and then I would have been straightaway quick enough to re-overtake him again.

“You get into a position where, in my eyes, for both of us, it was quicker if I just stayed ahead, because I would have pulled away pretty much straight away. So that’s it really.

“It’s one of those awkward situations. But in my eyes it was a bit like if we let him right past we’re going to overtake him straight back again.”

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

I think Alex forgot this is Monaco. They don't just overtake each other here. Once Charles was in front, that would've been it.

Last edited:
Well that's batcrap nuts then.

Section 15 of the race notes deals with track limits, which are always different from the official regulations ("for the avoidance of doubt, any white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not") - pretty much exclusively more lax (there may be situations where it's more stringent, but I'm not aware of it). If these notes cannot override the rules, there cannot be any corner-specific guidance at any race, but there always is.

If the guidance given to drivers was "stay right of the line", that's the guidance everyone drove to and - while pretty typical of the FIA - insane to change that after the fact.

Still, Derek Warwick up there in the decision box, so to be expected.

A different point of view (front not the rear) shows Verstappen actually not hitting the line.
I saw this one on a Instagram story, but can’t see the actual footage somewhere else to share. Perhaps other people can.

Well, water under de bridge anyway.
Of to Baku, and hopefully a better race.
And not a parade.

Well after watching the excellent 24 hours of Nurburgring I thought I'd check out the highlights of Monaco. I saw a car pass another car. That was a shock. Anyway how come the two Red Bull drivers didn't get either a drive through or a five second penalty for crossing the pit out line?

rsh
A different point of view (front not the rear) shows Verstappen actually not hitting the line.
I saw this one on a Instagram story, but can’t see the actual footage somewhere else to share. Perhaps other people can.
Red Bull would appear to disagree with that point of view:
Stipulation:
All parties agreed that Car 1 did have part of its front left and rear left tyre on the left side of the yellow line.
All parties agreed that most of the left front and left rear tyres of that car remained on the yellow line.
The ruling is that the race director's notes were from last year's Sporting Code (Appendix L) not this year's, and that "the Notes issued by the Race Director cannot contradict the Code or the Formula One Sporting Regulations" (despite doing so at every race that's ever happened when it comes to allowing cars to exceed track limits at certain points), so even though part of the tyres did indeed touch and exceed the yellow line and the race notes said not to do that, that rule is from the 2021 Code and the car itself did not "cross" that line as per the 2022 Code.

Bit sad after Gasly Vettel passed Zhou and Ricciardo too on track. Also both not at the nouvelle chicane. Haven't seen any external footage but than again Monaco TV director.

Red Bull would appear to disagree with that point of view:

The ruling is that the race director's notes were from last year's Sporting Code (Appendix L) not this year's, and that "the Notes issued by the Race Director cannot contradict the Code or the Formula One Sporting Regulations" (despite doing so at every race that's ever happened when it comes to allowing cars to exceed track limits at certain points), so even though part of the tyres did indeed touch and exceed the yellow line and the race notes said not to do that, that rule is from the 2021 Code and the car itself did not "cross" that line as per the 2022 Code.
From the official FIA statement of the hearing:
Red Bull’s arguments in defence:
That car 1 was still to the right of the yellow line.
That in any case, there was no breach of the International Sporting Code.

rsh
From the official FIA statement of the hearing
The document to which I just linked you, yes.
rsh
Red Bull’s arguments in defence:
That car 1 was still to the right of the yellow line.
That in any case, there was no breach of the International Sporting Code.
Yes. As stated twice now, Red Bull's argument was that the 2022 Sporting Code (Appendix L, Ch4) states only that the car may not cross the line, and the car didn't. Ferrari's argument was that the Race Directors Notes (to which I've also linked you) for the 2022 Monaco Grand Prix states that the car must remain to the right of the yellow pit exit line and as the tyres partly touched and exceeded the line it did not.

The FIA Race Stewards conclusion was that the Race Directors Notes cited the 2021 Sporting Code (Appendix L, Ch4) and the 2022 Code says something different, but the Notes cannot contradict the Code (even though, as I stated, Notes routinely redefine track limits in a different manner to the Code) so that point of the Notes is invalid.

Red Bull conceded that the tyres partly touched and exceeded the line, while the car did not cross the line, so regardless of what camera angles you think there are that show the tyres didn't touch or exceed the line, they did. Red Bull admitted it. The defence was that it wasn't against the rules to do so.

Checo letting it known he's signed a deal with Red Bull, apparently.

The worst kept secret in the F1 paddock since Sunday: Sergio Perez signed a new contract in Monaco last weekend. After two one-year contracts, now a two-year deal for the Mexican at Red Bull. So until 2024. #F1

Also, Bono was on radio to Lewis after Alonso took off to keep Ocon back for Valtteri & Vettel. Apparently, Valtteri's engineer proclaimed they owed Lewis a beer for it.

Also, Bono was on radio to Lewis after Alonso took off to keep Ocon back for Valtteri & Vettel. Apparently, Valtteri's engineer proclaimed they owed Lewis a beer for it.
He already gave him a photo of his butt...

rsh
Not the point. Not even close.
Yes, the point. You said it didn't happen. Red Bull itself did. It's in the document I linked you to which you then referred to while ignoring it:
All parties agreed that Car 1 did have part of its front left and rear left tyre on the left side of the
yellow line.
All parties agreed that most of the left front and left rear tyres of that car remained on the yellow
line.
I don't even know why you're continuing to argue the toss. Red Bull's argument wasn't that it didn't happen; it agreed that it did. The argument was that the rules in the Notes didn't apply because it cited an outdated section of the Code.
rsh
Insta Real screenshots Verstappen pit exit
That's Perez, emerging between Schumacher and Sainz (Ferrari "conceded that car 11 did not have any part of its front or rear tyres on the left of the yellow line"). Verstappen came out behind nobody but with Leclerc right up his chuff. Here's the first frame of the three-second video from which that's taken.

1654008198916.png

Here is the same moment from the race:

Also the fluorescent yellow T-cam is a bit of a giveaway. Nice try though.

Back