Explosions at Brussels' Zaventem airport and Maelbeek metro station

• Thread starter Ken
  • 267 comments
Please point out instances where I have said that this isn't a problem.
So we should try to find a solution instead of repeating what our politicians said for years.
Because there are much more chances that normal people will die in a terrorist attack instead of politicians.
That's the point. They are not solving our problem and some of us are dying meanwhile.

No, I meant that there are a lot more sympathisers out there than people are willing to admit. The guy in Molenbeek could stay hidden there because you have a community willing to protect him.

There's more going on than just sympathizers. For instance ABC news is reporting that Brussels is the #1 European city for supplying "foreign" fighters to the war in Syria. This means actual trained fighters are likely involved.

There's more going on than just sympathizers. For instance ABC news is reporting that Brussels is the #1 European city for supplying fighters to the war in Syria. This means actual trained fighters are likely involved.

It's no secret that Europe is failing to contain those who have returned from Syria.

Is it true that the Belgian police have no access to certain parts of cities due to Sharia Law installations or am I being a bit ridiculous about that being an issue in Europe?

Rubbish. Specifically blaming the EU for ruining a previous harmony is complete bull:censored:. I'm not here to praise the EU but before the EU Europe went through its worst military destruction in the whole of its history; WW2. And before that? We've done the number of wars in Europe before. France vs Germany. England vs France. Russia vs Germany. Hungary vs Slovakia. Turkey vs Hungary. Austria vs Germany. Sweden vs Czechia. Russia vs Poland. Poland vs Germany. Turkey vs Greece. And so on...

And what about the homegrown terrorist cells within Europe such as ETA, the IRA, UVF, UDA and RAF? Some of those predate the EU by many decades.

You can speculate and champion your Islamaphobia or Xenophobia, whatever it is specifically, all you want but you can't talk as though Europe was a safe place before the rise of Islamic theocratic fascism. It never was and it's a constant issue whether it has been through war or diplomacy. This is the latest development on a problem which has plagued Europe, and the whole damn world, since time immemorial. It isn't new.

Somewhat off topic, but apart from the IRA (who my parents said really caused a wave of fear) I do not know who the others are (I assume RAF is not the Royal Air Force). Can you just list them for me please?

Going back to this: I still cannot fathom in my brain why someone would do things like this. Am I just naive or what? And also, how did this slip through the government nets if it is, as assumed, something that was planned for a while?

An international train at the station of Hoofddorp, the Netherlands has been stopped and is now being searched for suspicious persons. Heavily armed forces have now locked down the station.

Going back to this: I still cannot fathom in my brain why someone would do things like this.
Hate, ignorance, cruelty. Their goal is to impose sharia all around the world and kill all "the faithless".
Basically they want to kill everyone not on their side.

Wars happens unfortunately. We either do something or the only thing we can do is to hope to not being in wrong place at the wrong time. Problem is "wrong places" are increasing more and more these days, thanks to our politicians.

Hate, ignorance, cruelty. Their goal is to impose sharia all around the world and kill all "the faithless".

Wars happens unfortunately. We either do something or the only thing we can do is to hope to not being in wrong place at the wrong time. Problem is "wrong places" are increasing more and more these days, thanks to our politicians.

But running on those lines, killing the faithless goes against the very core of Shariah law fundamentals in itself... :boggled:
So surely they have some other motive... Nobody kills people who are not on their side for no reason? Right?

Is it true that the Belgian police have no access to certain parts of cities due to Sharia Law installations or am I being a bit ridiculous about that being an issue in Europe?
It's not true. But it is rumored that they are somewhat scared to enter the Molenbeek city section.

Somewhat off topic, but apart from the IRA (who my parents said really caused a wave of fear) I do not know who the others are (I assume RAF is not the Royal Air Force). Can you just list them for me please?

Ulster Volunteer Force and Ulster Defence Association are Irish loyalist paramilitaries. Make no mistake they are as equally despicable in their paramilitary operations and extrajudicial judgments. There is also evidence of collusion with the RUC and British Army.

Euskadi Ta Askatasuna is a Basque separatist organisation which has been responsible for the murder of over 800 people since 1968 through bombings and shootings, in addition to the kidnapping of dozens more.

Rote Armee Fraktion was an ultra left-wing West German paramilitary organisation supported by the Stasi of East Germany. They were responsible for multiple murders, robberies, kidnappings and bombings and almost brought the country to its knees in 1977. You could also add RZ (Revolutionäre Zellen) of West Germany too, who undertook 296 bombings and arson attacks between the 1970s and the 1990s.

You do realise that ECGadget is a Muslim? That's a pretty outrageous statement to make, regardless whether you were applying it to just these cells or not.

Treed.

It's not true. But it is rumored that they are somewhat scared to enter the Molenbeek city section.
Is that due to foreign presence or for some other reason? Sorry if I'm being naive on this.

Of all the muslim members here, whose actions have supported that insane theory the most?

The only members I've ever seen imply some kind of divine judgement for members who don't believe are actually christian, interestingly enough.

Is that due to foreign presence or for some other reason? Sorry if I'm being naive on this.

It's rough and inner-city. There are equally plenty of areas considered "white" in Europe where police prefer to attend en-masse rather than travel alone or in pairs.

Was on the internet with the missus quoting my trip to go to the Spa 24h when this popped up on the news, we both feel extraordinarily weird right now,

Thoughts are with the families of those who were taken by these vulgar acts by pathetic specimens of human beings....

There is supposedly a Russian connection (terrorists, Syria fighters) with these attacks. Not 100% confirmed yet.

You do realise that ECGadget is a Muslim?
So?
That's a pretty outrageous statement to make, regardless whether you were applying it to just these cells or not.

Treed.
I just reported what Isis said many times in their propaganda or are you trying to pretend that didn't happen?
Of all the muslim members here, whose actions have supported that insane theory the most?

The only members I've ever seen imply some kind of divine judgement for members who don't believe are actually christian, interestingly enough.
I was talking about Isis propaganda, not all the muslims.
Interestingly enough, why you feel called upon?

Last edited:
Going back to this: I still cannot fathom in my brain why someone would do things like this. Am I just naive or what? And also, how did this slip through the government nets if it is, as assumed, something that was planned for a while?

I've been giving it some thought myself (even before the attacks this morning), I just want to note this is theorising on my part, I'm not claiming this as fact, and that it's not my intention to cause offence;

I can imagine there are quite a few places in the world where communities are living almost side-by-side but with a gap (sometimes huge) in terms of well being and general contentment, be it health, wealth e.t.c. It stands to reason that people who are less well-off may well feel resentment to those on the other side. In most cases, this wouldn't result in anything as serious as what we've seen today and in the past, but when you take radical Islam into account (and their promises of an eternity in paradise for blowing yourself up along with the "infidels") it tilts the scales considerably.

Let's not forget, when you're struggling to make ends meet and the future in general looks utterly bleak, suicidal tendencies may already start to creep in. Whilst the reasoning from going to taking you own life to those of everyday people in the process is a massive gulf for me, you and just about every right-minded person out there, when you're indoctrinated into a way of thinking such as those that Daesh teach, it's merely one small step I fear.

Revenge is another to consider; your family getting wiped out by a drone/air strike (a morbid example) is a powerful trigger to "hit back"; for some they won't even attempt to make the distinction between whether it was the US, Russia... just to hit back at "them", I can imagine the ring-leaders of the extremists are very good at blurring the lines in that regard.

I also remember reading an article or two a little while ago about the problems second-generation Muslims have with growing up in "the west", leading to something of a conflict of identity, I'll try to find it later. Overall though, I fear it's very much a case of emotion/passion clouding reason; in most cases I think they're too far gone to actually stop and consider what it is they're doing, it's all bottled up until the very end.

As an aside, some of the reports I saw of Salah Abdeslam's arrest mentioned that he was "co-operating with police" (specifically, the police had released that info). In hindsight, that now seems very ill-judged indeed, as it may well have spurned today's cell into action in case Salah had anything on them.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of those involved are recent arrivals to Europe, they suspect many ISIS fighters have sneaked in during the migrant crisis.

No TPA bombs as in Paris but the Zaventem bom (one of these bombs) was filled with nails.

The Russian connection is being investigated. Russia warned Belgium to look out for two Russian Syria fighters whom came back to Belgium in Februari.

But running on those lines, killing the faithless goes against the very core of Shariah law fundamentals in itself... :boggled:
So surely they have some other motive... Nobody kills people who are not on their side for no reason? Right?
Ignorance. A good amount of the so called "Isis fighters" are illiterate. And a good amount of "normal" people have never read the Koran and never will. They take parts to terrorists attack just because someone they trust says them they will be recognized as "heroes" so they will find virgins when they die.

If you are not with them you are against them, no matter your religion, race, sex. We need to realize this people is a threat for ALL of us. And no, another stupid TV show debate, won't solve the problem.

A bomb vest has been found at Zaventem, so there is a great possibility that a 3rd blow uppie retard has chickened out and is now on the run.

Update on the Casualty count: At least 28 killed and over 100 injured from the two attacks according to Belgian media.

There have been reports of controlled bomb detinations by the bomb squad. It seems that things could have been much worse.

In Leuven the university and a hospital was also targeted. Luckily these bombs did not go off.

Update on the Casualty count: At least 28 killed and over 100 injured from the two attacks according to Belgian media.
More than 28.

20 in the metro, 106 injured and 14 in Zavemtem.

So glad my folks are no longer in Brussels. They would have likely been coming back from my cousin's match day here in the states and would have been caught in that chaos. That airport has so much sentimental value to me and I'll never forget my time there after greeting and later saying goodbye to my family that I hadn't seen in years.

Back