Exporting photos (the lack of)

• Thread starter syntex123
  • 110 comments

How do you want to export your photos?

• By sharing them and grabbing them from the website

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • By screenshotting and exporting them on a USB stick thru the gallery on the Playstation itself

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • By screenshotting and sending them to another psn acc and grabbing them from the PS App on my phone

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • By taking a photo of my tv screen

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other: I want to export from game directly to USB stick

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Other: I want a companion app and grab full resolution photo from

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Other: Specify

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

syntex123

Staff Emeritus
Norway
Færder
syntex123
Syntex260Z
Now that most of us have gotten in a few hours of gameplay, it makes sense we soon want to export our photographs and upload them here in its full resolution.

But I have a question, how exactly do you export a photo this time ‘round? If it has 4K resolution (I’m on base PS4) it doesn’t make sense to screenshot it and lose quality. Hitting triangle does nothing. Share button just shares it on Showcase. I want to export to USB..

UPDATE:

Current best way to export high resolution photos, follow this guide:

OK, you really really really really have to want to do this, and you can't do it with a picture already saved, or even a screenshot. You have to do it while you're using the camera. Take your picture at high resolution. It can be scapes or from a replay. Once you have the picture and are looking at it, zoom all the way in. Move to the top left, share button, triangle. Move to top center, share button, triangle. Top right, same thing. Repeat across the center of the image, then across the bottom of the image. You have 9 screen shots. You might be able to cover the image with just two passes across, but more overlap makes compositing easier.

Go to Library, Capture Gallery. Pull each one up and save it to USB.

Take the USB to your PC or Mac, Open all the files in Photoshop (or something) and crop them to remove any black borders, the control button prompts at the bottom, and so on. Save each crop.
The easiest thing now is to do a File, Automate, Photomerge in Photoshop, pick the collage format. (I actually ended up with a couple of bad seams in the overlaps, so I manually built the composite. A bit more work.)

This is the Pig at Flugplazt, 3804x2140, from a PS4. Click the image and zoom in.

52016677788_f68123df55_o.jpg

Last edited:
Think I know how he managed to share that picture with the GT logo on it.

He must've gotten that photo from the GT community page by right clicking the photo then clicking the "open image in new tab" and that's how he managed to get the photo with the GT logo on it.

Last edited:
I got it.

it's a screenshot directly during the photo in the scape mode and not in the media library.

Think I know how he managed to share that picture with the GT logo on it.

He must've gotten that photo from the GT community page by right clicking the photo then clicking the "open image in new tab" and that's how he managed to get the photo with the GT logo on it.
Yep, like this too

Last edited:
@Stephan But will that method grant the 4K photos you take or downscaled 1080p ones like if you just take a regular screenshot? 🤷🏼‍♂️

There you have GTP downscaling on your hands as well. :lol: Awesome shot though!

I really hope it is possible to export from the game. Doesn’t make sense the base PS4 captures 4K pictures and not being able to export them.

I was looking for this option too, I could not find an answer rather than Share/screenshot in the photo mode itself in .png format or view and expand in the library. I am not sure if they will add/fix this missed option in a patch or removed it on purpose?

It just doesn’t make sense. Almost frustrating.

Maybe something our good lord and savior Jordan needs to ask Kaz if he gets another interview soon, if it either is a bug, or just not patched in yet.

I repeat myself: it doesn’t make sense to play on base PS4 which isn’t capable of 4K, but it still makes 4K images like GT Sport. Hitting triangle to open scape with existing settings, delete, export…should be there. Must be a bug.

Last edited:
Removing a feature from GT4 with no direct replacement is downright stupid. I thought I was going crazy when I couldn't find it but here we are. One of the many downgrades over GTS, but I won't make another rant thread because I don't want to get twenty poo emojis in an hour.

@max351

Same for PS4 users. Done that since forever. But it doesn’t solve the problem.

Repeating myself a lot here:
I’m on base PS4. Which means 1080p. Game takes 4K photos. I want to export those 4K photos. Not take a poor 1080p screenshot.

Last edited:
Mine are coming out terrible quality - so bad I couldn't bear to post them! Really hoping we get an export feature soon otherwise I can't see myself posting anything...

It seems odd, more like an oversight than intentional as it serves no purpose than to detract from image quality, images they indirectly rely on for promotion. I'd expect this to be fixed pretty sharp.

So currently the best way to do it is make a screenshot and export that to a USB drive from the PS' gallery?

Do you not have access to them via your gallery at gran-turismo.com or via the PS app?

I remember Sony making a big deal out of the app for screenshots and gameplay videos recently, perhaps it's another facet of trying tp push players there.

Last edited:
Really the only option is to have a direct screen grab on a 4K monitor. That way you won't have compression or low resolution, but it'll be a hassle to set up. Perhaps some capture cards allow it?

Does anyone have the issue where if you save shots on the iPad, it downloads a format that Flickr & Lightroom Mobile can’t recognise. And when it comes to the missing export feature all I can say is the following. It’s a stupid oversight. :banghead:

In GT Sport, the 'Export to USB Storage Device' function was essential as it enabled me to transfer my Scapes and Race Photos over to PC in the best possible quality. That was especially important for showcasing my liveries on GTP in ways not possible in the Livery Editor alone.

I do hope that the 'Export' function returns in a future update, but in the meantime it looks like I will have to change my approach for obtaining livery and racing-related screenshots in this game. Could see this being an extra hurdle for those wanting to do LECs from this point on.

So currently the best way to do it is make a screenshot and export that to a USB drive from the PS' gallery?
That’s what I do, usually send them on psn to a diff acc and grab there but for LEC I do USB
Do you not have access to them via your gallery at gran-turismo.com or via the PS app?

I remember Sony making a big deal out of the app for screenshots and gameplay videos recently, perhaps it's another facet of trying tp push players there.
Odd. They don’t upload as 4K do they?
Really the only option is to have a direct screen grab on a 4K monitor. That way you won't have compression or low resolution, but it'll be a hassle to set up. Perhaps some capture cards allow it?
The PS4 doesn’t support 4K so you’re still screwed then

Back