F1 2012 Classic F1 DLC?F1 2010-2016 

• Thread starter tribolik
  • 71 comments
The real issue is classifying the cars. However Lotus with their current F1 involvement would stand a chance, Ferrari, Mclaren and Williams as well.

I have a idea how about they make one game within the next few years . Then they constantly update that game every year releasing cars from the next season . This would be all through download from the psn store. They could add new features to that one game instead of making a new game every year. Codemasters would be able to make more bug fixes making the game more playable.

See I said a similar idea on the F1 2012 wishlist thread, yet many don't seem to like the idea at least the comments I got about it. I think it is a great idea similar to what you do in iracing. Yet it would be with CMs F1 game. Old tracks could be added as well and so on.

Oooh please yes..

1984, 1985, .. 1988, 1994, 1998, all would be good:dopey:

An "GTR" or "RFactor" kind of mod approach of things :sly:

with Ayrton Senna OMG i would def pay 20$ :)

Really? I'd pay for classic seasons as quick as the next guy, and , at a push, I'd download a classic car set as long as it was done well. But I care more about the handling than whether there's a virtual representation of Ayrton Senna's helmet. Or Prost. Or even Jochen Rindt. They could paint the helmets pink for all I care. Are you really that excited by a graphic?

Really? I'd pay for classic seasons as quick as the next guy, and , at a push, I'd download a classic car set as long as it was done well. But I care more about the handling than whether there's a virtual representation of Ayrton Senna's helmet. Or Prost. Or even Jochen Rindt. They could paint the helmets pink for all I care. Are you really that excited by a graphic?

I think he meant the whole thing by "Ayrton Senna": the cars, most likely, and the kick-ass helmet design, why not? Perhaps better grip under terrible rain conditions? :dopey:

I'm also willing to put my money into a 80's based F1 game, being it a DLC or a full game. In fact I'm throwing my money at the screen and I can't understand why this game isn't showing up on my desk right away. Weird.

I heard that for future F1 titles, Codmasters are trying to get the licenses from defunct teams and tobacco sponsors with the classic F1 cars.:) Imagine the look of Mild Seven in a game with Marlboro.:drool:

The law wouldn't allow it. Sorry to be a killjoy :(

The law allows it, hell it is even possible to have naked grid girls smoking and drinking whisky in a racing game (and shooting people and zombies and so on)... but the downside would be - PEGI 18+ (in europe because I dont know how they classify games outside europe)
And that would mean a big loss of sales just to have tobacco and alcohol sponsers in a game.

I think he meant the whole thing by "Ayrton Senna": the cars, most likely, and the kick-ass helmet design, why not? Perhaps better grip under terrible rain conditions? :dopey:

I'm also willing to put my money into a 80's based F1 game, being it a DLC or a full game. In fact I'm throwing my money at the screen and I can't understand why this game isn't showing up on my desk right away. Weird.

I like the idea of a classic F1 game (even though I have many seasons covered with old games and mods, but being able to play as Senna, or anyone for that matter doesn't make a difference for me. The handling and tracks are far more important to me than something like that.

The law wouldn't allow it. Sorry to be a killjoy :(

Not so. The biggest hurdle would be licensing agreements. Get past that and you're fine. Although as Tribolik mentioned, it may affect age classifications.

If it's DLC then the game could be rated E, while the DLC would be rated M? This could work fine in my opinion.

Well the classic cars sound like an awesome idea. I remember F1:CE had some but they were only playable on time trials.

I would love to see some classic f1 cars in this game. Specially if we could race them online.
Witch brings up another question. Does anyone know where I can get the F1 1994LE mod for rfactor?
I live in the US and I've been looking. I can't get it from their website.

Edit: I found the mod! So never mind.

Last edited:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-19-codies-looking-to-introduce-classic-f1-cars

Am I the only one that thinks they are doing a DLC of classic F1 cars prior to release date just to get a few more bucks when they could release the game with them initially? or am I missing something here?

That's great, I've been suggesting that since I heard F1 2011 was going to be released. To me the idea of releasing F1 every single year is absolutely ridiculous. There are hardly any changes in F1 each year, it's even worse than all the EA sports games, because at least those change the stats of each team, and add all the new players. F1 2010 to 2011 to 2012 has only had a handful of changes, yet they still charge $60 each time. It's ridiculous

Either they need to add a random classic F1 season each time to keep people interested, or do it like moto GP does it and release F1 2012/13, and update the teams/tracks with a patch. It's not hard to do.

They also should add karts, and GP2, and some lower end open wheel series, so you can progress to F1.

They also should add karts, and GP2, and some lower end open wheel series, so you can progress to F1.
When people buy a Formula 1 game, they buy it to race Formula 1 cars. The last thing they will want is to be forced to go through the ranks of karting, GP3 and GP2 before they can even get to Formula 1.

Perhaps the only way it could reasonably be implemented is to include one GP2 race weekend as a tutorial, with the practice sessions teaching you the basics, and the qualifying session and race giving you the chance to put what you know into practice. But F1 2012 is already going to do that with the Young Driver Test mode.

From what I understand, it's sort of an extended tutorial set over the course of three in-game days, with each session introducing more and more sophisticated gameplay elements. So the first day is the basics of driving the car, the second introduces KERS and DRS and so on and so forth. There is no word on whether or not the tests can be skipped so that experienced players can just jump straight in, but it may be possible that by completing the tests and meeting certain objectives, experienced players will get offered drives with midfield teams.

When they showed off the game at E3, Codemasters said that the focus for F1 2012 is to give the sport more of a global appeal. They think they've got the gameplay mechanics and graphics right, so now they really want to cater to the wider gaming community, and get interest going among people who might not have much knowledge of what Formula 1 actually is - when it was announced that Formula 1 would go to New Jersey, I noticed a lot of comments from residents who said they weren't familiar with the sport, but they wanted to know more about it, because the idea of the sport held their attention. One that stood out in my mind was a guy who said he couldn't imagine driving down those streets at fifty miles an hour, so the idea of people driving at two hundred miles an hour had him in awe. He then got online, started finding out more about the sport, and is now a dedicated fan. That's the kind of people Codemasters want to reach with this game. They get that Formula 1 has a global appeal, but they don't want to limit the game to people who are already fans of the sport. But in order to do that, they need to ease new players in gently, which is why they introduced the Young Driver Test mode. This should address one of the biggest issues with F1 2010 and F1 2011 - the phenomenally-steep learning curve. When I started playing F1 2011, I jumped into the Virgin and started doing laps of Melbourne, and I was struggling to complete a lap without spinning, much less set a time that was anywhere near anyone else. And when it came time to actually race, I struggled to lap consistently and stay in touch with the guy in twenty-third position. I've never seen a game with a learning curve like that; not even FINAL FANTASY VIII, which has a very complex gameplay mechanic that allows you total freedom in what you do, but the tutorials only give you the very basics.

All this talk of DLC naturally begs the question of what Codemasters should include, assuming that they pretty much have a blank cheque to add whatever they thought was the most important content from history.

I want to know how they would decide what f1 cars from the past to add. Also I think they should just do a decade thing. 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s best season as voted upon by the fans I think. We'll have to see.

Alright, I've been thinking about the kind of DLC that I've want to see included, and I've come up with a list. Some of these might not be obvious choices, but I will explain why later.

Circuits
Österreichring - from the halycon days of the turbo era.
Kyalami - the 1961-1988 version, of course.
Long Beach - it was always one of the better street circuits.
Montjuïc Park - one of the most awesome circuits ever built.
Oscar Alfredo Gálvez - the 1974-1981 version, not the glorified go-kart circuit used from 1995 to 1998.
Imola - using the pre-1994 layout.

Cars
The Gentlemen Racers
Alfa Romeo 158/159 Alfetta - the car Juan Manuel Fangio won his first World Championship in.
Ferrari 246 F1 - Mike Hawthorn's championship-winning car.
Lotus 49 - one of the most important racing cars ever built.
McLaren M7A - the car that scored McLaren's first win.
Matra MS80 - Jackie Stewart's car from 1969.

The Decade of Downforce
Lotus 72 - won three World Championship (including, sadly, Jochen Rindt's).
Tyrrell 003 - the first Tyrrell to win a championship.
Tyrrell P34 - because it has six wheels.
McLaren M27 - the car James Hunt won with.
Lotus 78 the first ground-effect car.

The Age of Turbos
Brabham BT52 - one of the most unusual-looking (and best) cars ever raced.
Williams FW07 - won Williams' first championships.
Toleman TG184 - the car Ayrton Senna took to second place in Monaco.
Renault RE30 - the car Alain Prost used in his first victory.
Williams FW11 - complete with the Red 5.

The 1990s
Leyton House GC91 - one of the first cars Adrian Newey designed.
Benetton B194 - from Schumacher's first World Championship.
McLaren MP/4-13 - the car Mika Hakkinen used to beat Schumacher.
Jordan 199 - Eddie Jordan proved that privateers could still be competitive.
Stewart SF3 - one of the last big surprises of the 1990s.

The Nearest Past
Honda RA107 - one of the worst cars in recent memory ...
Brawn BGP-001 - ... juxtaposed against one of the best.
Renault R25 - Fernando Alonso's first title-winner.
Ferrari F2002 - the car Schumacher used to win (almost) everything.
Williams FW26 - won Williams' last race before 2012.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back