F1 2012 Classic F1 DLC?F1 2010-2016 

• Thread starter tribolik
  • 71 comments
Putting it to a vote seems like a bad idea.

Why? The charts you put down are nice, but a somewhat realistic season of cars from each decade would be better. All the cars from 1988 or 1990 seasons, and not just one car from that season and another from this season.

Because nobody would ever be able to agree on anything.

The charts you put down are nice, but a somewhat realistic season of cars from each decade would be better. All the cars from 1988 or 1990 seasons, and not just one car from that season and another from this season.
Hang on, you call for a "realistic" approach, but then you suggest that Codemasters replicate an entire season of cars. Twenty-one different cars raced in 1988; twenty-nine raced in 1990 (it's eighteen and nineteen if you don't count variants like the Tyrrell 018 and 019). That's just too many - and what do you do about people who don't want to buy the likes of the EuroBrun ER188?

The idea behind classic DLC is that Codemasters recreates historic racing cars, cars with actual achievements to their names, not "failed to qualify in twelve races". They're not making F1 1988 and working it into F1 2013. They are picking cars that are significant to the sport, which is what I tried to do (yes, I know I suggested the RA107, but I was hard-pressed for ideas by then).

Because nobody would ever be able to agree on anything.

Okay, but a simple poll would be a way to fix such an issue to an extent and a general majority would be what wins. It's not as if it couldn't work, or hasn't before for other things.

Hang on, you call for a "realistic" approach, but then you suggest that Codemasters replicate an entire season of cars. Twenty-one different cars raced in 1988; twenty-nine raced in 1990 (it's eighteen and nineteen if you don't count variants like the Tyrrell 018 and 019). That's just too many - and what do you do about people who don't want to buy the likes of the EuroBrun ER188?

The idea behind classic DLC is that Codemasters recreates historic racing cars, cars with actual achievements to their names, not "failed to qualify in twelve races". They're not making F1 1988 and working it into F1 2013. They are picking cars that are significant to the sport, which is what I tried to do (yes, I know I suggested the RA107, but I was hard-pressed for ideas by then).

Those are example for one and just quickly used to show the difference between ideals. You worry about disagreement or flak but picking just certain cars is that much more difficult than seasons. I know there are plenty of failed attempts from nearly every season now and all the way back. Those people who don't want to buy certain cars wont buy them obviously, not all cars (even the good ones) will sell. Some people want full on seasons, just a point I'm bringing up. I have no where said that they should implement what I've shelled out.

Also let's look at it from a realistic stand point, shall we? A B195 and a MP4/2 or F2004 aren't going to be on the same levels. Online races will be unbalanced or hard pressed for equality and people wont want one make f1 historic races. Also the boys at CM would basically be adding these cars for what then? Time trials?

You dont need all the cars from one season - 8 would be enough IMO - 2 per team to allow 16 players online championships.
If it was up to me I would pick 8 cars from the best season from each decade (70s, 80s, 90, 2000) and 2 or 3 iconic tracks from each decade also.

Alright, I've been thinking about the kind of DLC that I've want to see included, and I've come up with a list. Some of these might not be obvious choices, but I will explain why later.

Circuits
Österreichring - from the halycon days of the turbo era.
Kyalami - the 1961-1988 version, of course.
Long Beach - it was always one of the better street circuits.
Montjuïc Park - one of the most awesome circuits ever built.
Oscar Alfredo Gálvez - the 1974-1981 version, not the glorified go-kart circuit used from 1995 to 1998.
Imola - using the pre-1994 layout.

Cars
The Gentlemen Racers
Alfa Romeo 158/159 Alfetta - the car Juan Manuel Fangio won his first World Championship in.
Ferrari 246 F1 - Mike Hawthorn's championship-winning car.
Lotus 49 - one of the most important racing cars ever built.
McLaren M7A - the car that scored McLaren's first win.
Matra MS80 - Jackie Stewart's car from 1969.

The Decade of Downforce
Lotus 72 - won three World Championship (including, sadly, Jochen Rindt's).
Tyrrell 003 - the first Tyrrell to win a championship.
Tyrrell P34 - because it has six wheels.
McLaren M27 - the car James Hunt won with.
Lotus 78 the first ground-effect car.

The Age of Turbos
Brabham BT52 - one of the most unusual-looking (and best) cars ever raced.
Williams FW07 - won Williams' first championships.
Toleman TG184 - the car Ayrton Senna took to second place in Monaco.
Renault RE30 - the car Alain Prost used in his first victory.
Williams FW11 - complete with the Red 5.

The 1990s
Leyton House GC91 - one of the first cars Adrian Newey designed.
Benetton B194 - from Schumacher's first World Championship.
McLaren MP/4-13 - the car Mika Hakkinen used to beat Schumacher.
Jordan 199 - Eddie Jordan proved that privateers could still be competitive.
Stewart SF3 - one of the last big surprises of the 1990s.

The Nearest Past
Honda RA107 - one of the worst cars in recent memory ...
Brawn BGP-001 - ... juxtaposed against one of the best.
Renault R25 - Fernando Alonso's first title-winner.
Ferrari F2002 - the car Schumacher used to win (almost) everything.
Williams FW26 - won Williams' last race before 2012.
What about the MP4-4? Did it win nearly every race? It should be an 80's icon on you list.:)

I only allowed myself to pick five cars. And I felt that the MP4-4 was too obvious a choice. I wanted to pick cars that were historic and would make sense within the context of the game, but weren't necessarily the first cars that came to mind. If it came down to it, I'd much prefer to drive the Toleman TG184 than the McLaren MP4-4. Sure, Senna won his first World Championship in the MP4-4 - but any idiot can win a World Championship if he has the right car. Narain Karthikeyan probably could have been World Champion in it. But the Toleman TG184 was the car that Senna first made his mark with when he came second in Monaco, and when making that list, I could not help but wonder whether Senna would have driven the MP4-4 if he had never driven the TG184. Perhaps, but what if he had been driving the Osella FA1F, the ATS D7 or the Spirit 101B in that race instead?

And "iconic" is perhaps my least-favourite word in the English language. To me, it implies certain qualities that automatically make it superior than everything around it to the point where people don't consider the merits of everything else and that there should be no debate about it.

They did something similar with DIRT 3, which wasn't too popular. They started releasing additional content every two weeks, most notably the Monte Carlo stages, claiming that they didn't want to overwhelm new players by including the ultra-difficult stages in the game that was launched. And they weren't asking an extortionate amount of money for it, either.
My initial thought. As good as this might sound, I smell DiRT 3 all over again. Codemasters at its finest. I ditched the game pretty quickly after Monte Carlo and the Power and Glory car pack.

:yuck:

I hope they aren't doing the same mistake once more and release a proper and comprehensive DLC worth the money.

The difference between DIRT 3 and F1 201X (whenever Codemasters get around to adding DLC) is that the DLC in F1 won't be stuff that probably should have been included in the original release. Say they get around to DLC in F1 2013 - they're not going to hold Ferrari and McLaren back and release is separately. Anything they add will be extra content that builds on the original game.

Alright, I've been thinking about the kind of DLC that I've want to see included, and I've come up with a list. Some of these might not be obvious choices, but I will explain why later.

Circuits
Österreichring - from the halycon days of the turbo era.
Kyalami - the 1961-1988 version, of course.
Long Beach - it was always one of the better street circuits.
Montjuïc Park - one of the most awesome circuits ever built.
Oscar Alfredo Gálvez - the 1974-1981 version, not the glorified go-kart circuit used from 1995 to 1998.
Imola - using the pre-1994 layout.

Cars
The Gentlemen Racers
Alfa Romeo 158/159 Alfetta - the car Juan Manuel Fangio won his first World Championship in.
Ferrari 246 F1 - Mike Hawthorn's championship-winning car.
Lotus 49 - one of the most important racing cars ever built.
McLaren M7A - the car that scored McLaren's first win.
Matra MS80 - Jackie Stewart's car from 1969.

The Decade of Downforce
Lotus 72 - won three World Championship (including, sadly, Jochen Rindt's).
Tyrrell 003 - the first Tyrrell to win a championship.
Tyrrell P34 - because it has six wheels.
McLaren M27 - the car James Hunt won with.
Lotus 78 the first ground-effect car.

The Age of Turbos
Brabham BT52 - one of the most unusual-looking (and best) cars ever raced.
Williams FW07 - won Williams' first championships.
Toleman TG184 - the car Ayrton Senna took to second place in Monaco.
Renault RE30 - the car Alain Prost used in his first victory.
Williams FW11 - complete with the Red 5.

The 1990s
Leyton House GC91 - one of the first cars Adrian Newey designed.
Benetton B194 - from Schumacher's first World Championship.
McLaren MP/4-13 - the car Mika Hakkinen used to beat Schumacher.
Jordan 199 - Eddie Jordan proved that privateers could still be competitive.
Stewart SF3 - one of the last big surprises of the 1990s.

The Nearest Past
Honda RA107 - one of the worst cars in recent memory ...
Brawn BGP-001 - ... juxtaposed against one of the best.
Renault R25 - Fernando Alonso's first title-winner.
Ferrari F2002 - the car Schumacher used to win (almost) everything.
Williams FW26 - won Williams' last race before 2012.

Well thought-out list.

I'm with you on the learning curve, as I had to do a lot of practice laps in F1 2010 before I felt comfortable taking on a career-track race (Bahrain, which, as it happens, I won; much hate for sector 2 anyway).

I'd be a little more amenable to the come-up-through-the-ranks approach, if it were offered as an option. Sure, some people will be willing and able to dive right in but others might not find the YDT to be sufficient preparation. Rise-through-the-ranks is common in other sports games (I'm thinking Tiger Woods Golf and MLB The Show, just as examples) and it could be made to work here. Including it could also give Codemasters a reason to include whichever of the German tracks is off a given year's calendar, or to keep Spa in if the much-rumored Paul Ricard switcheroo ever materializes. But don't make it an requirement to go through the early ranks, just offer trophies and other non-essential swag as an incentive for doing so.

I know I bought all the DLC and then I was presented with a complete edition for a less than a 3rd of all the money I spent. And thats why I named the thread like I did.

I just bought F1 2011 used for $20 and Dirt 3 Complete Edition new for $30.

I hate paying full price for games, especially when they're only good for a year. I find the only games that really hold their value for several years are the 'time frame free' games. GT5, Fallout 3, and Call of Duty come to mind. I would happily buy one of those games full price because I know it would be at least a year before they drop in price, whereas F1, Fifa, NHL etc are half the price 3-4 months after release if you buy used.

The only downside to used is you don't get the online pass, which I never use anyways, so it doesn't bother me :)

Sure, Senna won his first World Championship in the MP4-4 - but any idiot can win a World Championship if he has the right car. Narain Karthikeyan probably could have been World Champion in it.
I don't know about that...lol
Would have been an expensive season for McClaren :scared:

I get your point though :)

Sorry for the double post I'm on a tablet and it's much too cumbersome to multi quote

Latest Posts

Back