F1 2012 Review threadF1 2010-2016 

• Thread starter kimi123
  • 44 comments
The online Lobby info is driving me crazy; 2011 online was so much better; the online confusion is threatening the appeal for me! I mostly race online rather than in game

Decided to try and see how close I could get to my lap time at Austin with the four slowest cars in the game. Here's the time I managed with the Lotus E20:

1'42.202

And here's the lap times I got with the other cars:

Marussia MR01: 1'43.282

HRT F112: 1'44.384

Caterham CT01: 1'43.483

Toro Rosso STR7: 1'42.829

The Marussia is very neutral, but the Toro Rosso is the most stable of the four. It was actually on the verge many times of being faster then the Lotus.

I'm not very into CM games but I bought F12012 and I'd share all your opinions. I'd also add a pro: good engine sound emulation.

After doing one GP weekend and some quick races this are my pro & cons for now.

Pro's:
- Graphics, everything looks good (if you step up from F1 2011(ps3) to F1 2012(PC))
- Fun to drive (after spending alot of time to setup the wheel)
- Rain and a wet track still looks awesome

Cons:
- Still only 5 years career. why you can't do 20 years like Barichello or Schumacher.
- At starts you can jump from the back to the front even on a high AI difficulty
- Still auto-pilot pitstops, no formation laps or be able to jump-start, still those weak grid scenes just before the start where you see the polesitter, your TM and yourself. The rest of the grid isn't importent.
- some bugs in the graphics (cars look black at singapore, surface of spa looks like a static tv in the wet.
- Still a very weak damage model
- Still the game has that brown-ish filter
- Still a arcade feel

my own problems:
I have learned to drive whit shifting very recently.(more or less) It took me a very long time to switch from AT to MT.
I am certainly not used to drive a car whit 7 gears combined whit using Kers and DRS at the same time. Using it all at once it happens my fingers get stuck between the wheel :dunce:

tested demo on PC and PS3 since I have F1 2010 and didn't want to buy unless it was a worthy upgrade - verdict -> not impressed

graphics are so poor in this day and age - it's actually quite sad. can't understand some comments i read about how great PC looks - I have a GTX 670 and it just doesnt look good in my book. PC looks better than PS3 but that is not saying much, since PS3 version looks like a Wii. LOL it's their 3rd version of the game, at least they could have nailed it by now.

physics are more than arcade but a lot more forgiving than a sim - powersliding in a F1, driving on grass, flashback mode - are they serious? maybe include an option for sim vs default. can't say for weather, tire wear and fuel since i dint have options in demo

AI - omg first corner sums it up. to be fair AI isnt great in any game yet

only cool thing i can say is that it includes the new F1 track in Texas and includes Hockenheim (unfortunately only Monza and parts of Yas Marina in demo). too bad they don't look anywhere as good as GT5, but at least track list is great

Force feedback. it's there but i get a better feel with T500RS in GT5. on a positive note, at least T500 is supported this time unlike 2010 (emulation mode was just sad)

wanted to finally give F1 20xx some love, but not for me it since i enjoy other racing games much more. owning F1 2010 and not playing it, I just don't see the point of buying F1 2012. TBH i have better memories of F1 championship when it was developed by SCE, but then again I haven't played that in years. maybe I being unjust or suffer from nostalgia - i should dig up a copy and check it out, i remember the reflections and weather effects in that game were sick looking. in the end who cares the driving just doesn't give me a good feel in F1 20xx

I guess i'll just watch F1 on TV. great season so far . Alonso, Kimi or Webber FTW

my 2 cents

Last edited:
I play it on the 360 but here is my opinions

. Love the physics, they are a lot better they 2011. I have heard a lot of people complain of under steer but for me at least I have no such problems.

. A.I is quite bad when bunched up, when the pack thins out how ever you can have some really great races with them. I had a particularly good race with mr Schumacher at spa just yesterday.

. I have heard bad things about the PS3 version graphics but on the 360 they look good in my opinion, especially the rain effects which are the best out there.

. The career mode is still one of the highlights and I enjoyed champions mode, for me this is the best in the series and of any f1 game ever

The demo almost put me off. I'm a ps3 user. I hated the skittish handling on straights that the demo had. Any way I went and bought it after trying not to for a few days. Well...best purchase this year for me. The graphics are slightly better than last year's but you wont even notice this as you will be to busy attacking and defending. The game is awesome for racing. I'm on pro level in a caterham and done three races so far as well as the other modes for a bit. This is a much better game than 2011. Oversteer has not been an issue for me as it only happens if you brake too late and are forced off the racing line (makes sense, less grip), or if you start to accelerate before your front wheels have hit/passed the apex. This is all well for me as I imagine this to be reasonable to expect in real life too. The rewards come from staying on the racing line. I use a gtpro Logitech and have my wheel feeling nice, in fact nicer than 2011. Have encountered a few bugs but not game breakers and am now worried the patch will change things I already like, for example the AI speed on pro level which I hear might be upped. I can have a reasonably realistic battle at current AI speed but the next level down is too slow so this is a concern for me. Otherwise do yourselves a favour if you haven't already, buy this game and teach Maldonado some road manners! ...Oh another little gripe, you can't save replays which are more watchable now although a bit repetitive with the camera angles.

I think they should make a f1 game where u start in the 90s and threw out the years when to 2012. So like life in f1

For the people that say there is no understeer, I have to disagree. Yes, it's not F1 2011, I get that.

The problem is that it's impossible to throw the car around, and even if you try, they've made it so that there are no consequences other than understeer for 'throwing it' around too much. Oversteer is non-existent, even with setups like 11/1 wings.

Melbourne, for example. The first turn is a 4th gear turn, not 3rd gear. The hairpin at the end of the circuit is a 2nd gear turn, not 1st gear. Even if you modify the ratios in setup, you're still required to brake far too early, and the acceleration out of corners is not accurate. It's very difficult to put the car into a spin if you are in the 'correct' exiting gear.

I have only started playing the game, so these are initial reactions, but to me one of the biggest factors in fast formula lap times is carrying speed through corners and late braking, which they seem to have disabled that aspect in F1 2012. They 'reward' you for braking too much, and too early. Even at low speeds, the turning radius of the cars is too broad.

Last edited:
I think they should make a f1 game where u start in the 90s and threw out the years when to 2012. So like life in f1

I guess they could but spending 10-20 times the amount of money on the license doesn't seem economical, I guess. Especially since it wouldn't appeal to most players.

I have played the demo (Which took 10000000000 sextillion years to download), and i REALLY don't hope that when you crash with your rival, it's out in the real game. So that means, if am in a race and in the final lap and i spin out at the final corner, and then my rival JUST happens to pass by and crash into me, I'm out.

I have to say, I bought the game today... Pretty dang good, did some adjustments for my g27 and i did 200 miles at Austin... No problem... Fun Game!

I like it a lot, better than 2011. The braking is the only thing really that I wish was a little different. All of the new game modes were good additions, I think.

This was another one of my grievances for sure. Especially running off on street circuits, flipping the car around like that is very helpful, yet it doesn't work in game. Especially after watching Singapore, I saw that quite often, and when I go to do it on the same track in the same car in the same place, and fail, its really disappointing. I even tried it with a completely lowered car and no downforce. The understeer feels scripted, like a speed barrier, and once you hit a certain speed it goes away.

On the console with no wheel, I haven't really noticed any of the understeer.

And I think you could flick it around if they didn't have that dumb automatic speed-murderer thing when you go a little off-track :/

Back