F1 2020 General Discussion ThreadF1 2020 

Aitken was weak for me too and when he moved to Mclaren he has been soundly trounced by Sainz.

Norris however, won the championship for me in S3 with 7 wins from the last 10 races. Then I went for Russel from midway through S4. So far in S5 he has won 6 from 9 races, rated 98 and is almost untouchable in qualifying.

When you hire a new driver they seem to inherit s lot of the development from the driver they replace. Russell was 82 rated or soemthing when I hired him and he jumped right up to 95 immediately while Norris slipped back to 85 from 94. I may take an F2 driver for S6 to see if you can actuslly bring an avaerage F2 driver up to front running standard. Might take on Matsushiita.

Aitken was weak for me too and when he moved to Mclaren he has been soundly trounced by Sainz.

Norris however, won the championship for me in S3 with 7 wins from the last 10 races. Then I went for Russel from midway through S4. So far in S5 he has won 6 from 9 races, rated 98 and is almost untouchable in qualifying.

When you hire a new driver they seem to inherit s lot of the development from the driver they replace. Russell was 82 rated or soemthing when I hired him and he jumped right up to 95 immediately while Norris slipped back to 85 from 94. I may take an F2 driver for S6 to see if you can actuslly bring an avaerage F2 driver up to front running standard. Might take on Matsushiita.

And as soon as i say that about Aitken,he out qualifies me at Baku,and later on in the race i end up pinching 10th off him and end up finishing 7th. He faded at the end and finished 13th - still,his best performance ha!

Wow,how have you done all those seasons already?! i just managed 10 seasons on F12019 just before the new game came out. (50% length).

Yeah, any facility upgrades you purchase for driver improvement are a flat bonus that applies immediately to whoever your second driver is. Timeline activities are a temporary boost, but I think the more of them you do the better a driver's chances of improving their base stats between seasons will be. Not 100% sure on that, but just on my observations that seems to be what's happening.

Wow,how have you done all those seasons already?! i just managed 10 seasons on F12019 just before the new game came out. (50% length).

I dont go back to work till February as me and my wife swapped maternity leave. So while the kids are in bed or at nursery I get some good quality tine to knuckle down a smash out some races. I've simmed probably 6 races total, I run 25% races with full qualifying and I now simulate practice sessions as my car is fully upgraded so see no value in doing them which significantly speeds up the race weekends.

I just found out that you can save camera settings per car brand. This is awesome as it enables me to get the right settings by looking through the upper part of my wheel. Really ads to the immersion.

I dont go back to work till February as me and my wife swapped maternity leave. So while the kids are in bed or at nursery I get some good quality tine to knuckle down a smash out some races. I've simmed probably 6 races total, I run 25% races with full qualifying and I now simulate practice sessions as my car is fully upgraded so see no value in doing them which significantly speeds up the race weekends.

When you (or anyone else) finished a season, did you get a cut of the prize money? Here's a link below for reference.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/03/03/formula-1-teams-prize-money-payments-for-2019-revealed/

Hello F1 people, first time visiting this part of the forum as I have some questions for y’all!

So I’ve recently fallen back in love with F1 and started following it very closely and tbh it’s kinda become an obsession, which hasn’t happened since like the late 2000s for me :lol:

Now obviously I really want to get an F1 game for this reason, I’ve played a bit of F1 2016 like 3 years ago and really enjoyed it, but since I wasn’t really into F1 back then, that was sort of it.

But now I’m dying to get an F1 game and I wanna know which one of them I should go for? Obviously I’m thinking of getting 2020 as it’s the latest, but maybe 2019 would be good as well? What are the benefits of 2020 over last years game? And how’s the game on the One X? Anything specific I should know?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers and I’m sorry if this was a lot, but I’ve just wanted to hear honest opinions from the best possible people!

Hello F1 people, first time visiting this part of the forum as I have some questions for y’all!

So I’ve recently fallen back in love with F1 and started following it very closely and tbh it’s kinda become an obsession, which hasn’t happened since like the late 2000s for me :lol:

Now obviously I really want to get an F1 game for this reason, I’ve played a bit of F1 2016 like 3 years ago and really enjoyed it, but since I wasn’t really into F1 back then, that was sort of it.

But now I’m dying to get an F1 game and I wanna know which one of them I should go for? Obviously I’m thinking of getting 2020 as it’s the latest, but maybe 2019 would be good as well? What are the benefits of 2020 over last years game? And how’s the game on the One X? Anything specific I should know?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers and I’m sorry if this was a lot, but I’ve just wanted to hear honest opinions from the best possible people!
Get the 2020 edition.

You have the My Team feature which is a huge plus compared to 2019. Also there is alot of daily, weekly and monthly challenges which can earn you different rewards. I also feel that with the new ERS button mapping (basically on/off), it made it alot more interesting to race. And made me focus more on the actual race and not the menu options all the time. :lol:

The great thing about this game is when the weather changes things up - went into France GP in Q2 and got an early lap in,it started raining in the last quarter but i managed to get a good time - others drivers like Hamilton & Leclerc went out too late into the rain and didnt make Q3 hehe. But alas,in the race Hamilton played a blinder with a one stop and managed to win in from 12th on the grid...

So the game is free to play this weekend on the Xbox One. Gonna give it a go, see if I like it. If it's as good as I think (should given I've read it's the best game in the franchise & I haven't played since... 2014 I think?), I'll pick up the Schumi Edition on Steam so I can use my wheel.

Just started season 2 with de Vries as my team mate. With the current upgrades his overall rating is 82, not bad for 2.5 mil. Turned the AI up to 92. season 3 it will be 95.

Right after the last race of season 1, I tried developing a part so it would be ready for season 2. This used to work in the previous games, but this time the part didn't develop and I lost 1175 resource points, ouf. Now I'm on the back foot in development. My engine and aero is among the top 5 teams, but my chassis is amongst the worst. Started the season as the 7th best team yet again.

Thoroughly enjoying this game, 'My Team' career in particular.

A mate and myself are now 3 races in to season two (trying to do a pseudo-coop career) and finding it a bit odd how different our results are.

We pretty much match each other for pace and throughout Season 1 our results reflected that. I got gifted a couple of strong results courtesy of well-timed SC/VSC/weather changes but other than that we both finished towards the top end in most races after battling to get out of Q2.

We changed the difficulty from 95% to 100% for season 2. I switched from Honda to Ferrari at it seemed to be significantly faster and he switched from Renault to Mercedes as it was the highest rated of performance and reliability in his.

In Season 2 he has yet to get of Q2, falling to the back of the grid at Hanoi whereas my worse start was P4 and I have won all three races with the fastest lap on each occasion.

It's cool to see how much of an impact a small things make in it. It'll be interesting to see if reg-changes change the order at all for season three.

------------------------------

With that said, the Qualifying Pace program is driving me insane. I managed to get purple on it once (Bahrain, because I like the track) but have been able to touch it at all at the other two races.

At Hanoi I was a full second off the 'green' time yet was able to qualify on pole by 6 tenths come Q3. It just seems that the time expected is a bit too quick (especially with the MAX a.k.a. party mode available).

The other programs, whilst very marginal in some cases, have been just doable.

------------------------------

Another thing I found was that there was a bit benefit to getting a better driver mid-way through S1.
Whilst the results didn't change, Perez always got 2-3 times more resource points than Correa was able to.

Guys, I have a question about the online multiplayer race strategies.
Can I choose my race strategy during the qualifying session, or only in that short window before race start? ( in my case, I race a 50% long race with 18 min qualifying session)
I'm having hard times struggling to quickly set the race strategy in that short window before race start.
Thanks

Patch 1.08 has landed on PC, console folks should be seeing it within the standard timeframe.

Details:
  • Xbox One wheels controls will no longer control the car and camera at the same time.
  • In Driver Career players with driver moves set to off can now move teams.
  • In My Team Career the vehicle performance index will correctly update when unprotected upgrades are lost due to a regulation change.
  • Nvidia DLSS anti aliasing is now available on graphics cards that support it.
  • Azerbaijan pit building now has correct collision.
  • Venom Hurricane wheel is now supported on PS4.
  • Team HQ interviews will now trigger in the second season and beyond.
  • F1 Championship winner garage celebration will now correctly play.
  • Championship points are now shown in Classic era.
  • Fixed a crash in Splitscreen when P1 retires from OSQ.
  • Multi Function Display how shows New or Used for tyre compounds.
  • Custom race strategies will no longer under fuel the car in wet weather.
  • Some sponsor bonuses will no longer incorrectly be awarded for multiple practice or qualifying sessions in addition to the race.
  • Results of previous seasons which are shorter than your current season will now be displayed correctly.
  • Fuel Assist will no longer force the player to use Rich mix in the race Strategy Practice Programme.
I was wondering why I always seemed to be far short of fuel during wet races. That bit about Baku's pit building has me wondering too as I wasn't even aware you could collide with it, unless they meant when the car was being moved in and out of the garage area.

Bought the Schumacher Edition on Steam, have only done a few Time Trials & a couple Grand Prixs to get familiar with the game more. I forgot how much fun these games actually are, kind of sad I've passed over the franchise for a few years now. Haven't decided whether to jump into Career or MyTeam mode, although the latter looks super worth time investing in.

Bought the Schumacher Edition on Steam, have only done a few Time Trials & a couple Grand Prixs to get familiar with the game more. I forgot how much fun these games actually are, kind of sad I've passed over the franchise for a few years now. Haven't decided whether to jump into Career or MyTeam mode, although the latter looks super worth time investing in.
Def try the myteam mode!!

So I'm back after my holidays and I've been playing through my driver career.

I've completed year 1 with Racing Point and I came second in the championship and lost by only 5 championship points to Valterri Bottas.

Had set the difficulty at 50 (medium) and had some good races and managed to complete all free practice training programs with purples and only a few times I wasn't able to perfect so I was happy with that and with a bit of practice under my belt I thought I'd up to hard difficulty and also moved teams since I met conditions for a move to Red Bull.

Here in I now encounter a problem. I am posting good free practice times at Australia but I cannot complete any of the practice program's full stop!

At first I thought I must have done something wrong with the car so I gave a bit of practice and then I tried resetting the difficulty back to medium thinking I'd gone too far on the hard setting but the problem persists so I do not know if it's the way the Red Bull is setup from the previous season or if it's the game.

Are the time delta's determined by team or purely set based on the difficulty you set because I had no problems at all at RP but the Red Bull is a headache and I don't think it's the car because it handles better than the RP and feels faster too, can anyone help/advise?

Don't want to have to wimp out on easy difficulty and I don't feel I should have to because how can it change so much between a season?

Thanks for any replies/answers!

Here in I now encounter a problem. I am posting good free practice times at Australia but I cannot complete any of the practice program's full stop!

At first I thought I must have done something wrong with the car so I gave a bit of practice and then I tried resetting the difficulty back to medium thinking I'd gone too far on the hard setting but the problem persists so I do not know if it's the way the Red Bull is setup from the previous season or if it's the game.

Are the time delta's determined by team or purely set based on the difficulty you set because I had no problems at all at RP but the Red Bull is a headache and I don't think it's the car because it handles better than the RP and feels faster too, can anyone help/advise?

Don't want to have to wimp out on easy difficulty and I don't feel I should have to because how can it change so much between a season?
  1. Are the practice programs the same as in MyTeam? I haven't done the career mode.
  2. I believe the delta times are based off the car's capabilities. For example, my car is ranked right above Williams (by a wide margin) yet is still a "back-marker" compared to the midfield. When I complete the quali and race programs, and look at the projected times, they're slightly above the Williams driver's times when all three practice sessions are finished.
  3. Are you using the same setup from the RP for the Red Bull, or the default setups? From my brief experience with driving the Red Bull and Alpha Tauri, the setups will vary slightly. I know you can get away with a softer rear suspension for the Red Bull, as compared to the Alpha Tauri. Also to note, the AI runs the front and rear wings at 4 by default on most tracks. 8 for high downforce.
EDIT: Then again, it might be an issue with the game. See below.
https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/59731-practice-session-qualifying-lap-challenge-issue/

Last edited:
  1. Are the practice programs the same as in MyTeam? I haven't done the career mode.
  2. I believe the delta times are based off the car's capabilities. For example, my car is ranked right above Williams (by a wide margin) yet is still a "back-marker" compared to the midfield. When I complete the quali and race programs, and look at the projected times, they're slightly above the Williams driver's times when all three practice sessions are finished.
  3. Are you using the same setup from the RP for the Red Bull, or the default setups? From my brief experience with driving the Red Bull and Alpha Tauri, the setups will vary slightly. I know you can get away with a softer rear suspension for the Red Bull, as compared to the Alpha Tauri. Also to note, the AI runs the front and rear wings at 4 by default on most tracks. 8 for high downforce.
EDIT: Then again, it might be an issue with the game. See below.
https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/59731-practice-session-qualifying-lap-challenge-issue/

Thank you for the reply! 👍

That does make sense about the car capabilities and Red Bull I think are second top chassis on the grid so that may have an effect, I am going to do some more testing tonight on my main account as I'm playing F1 on another profile and see if the issue presents itself again in Season 1.

Mostly I have been using the default setup's the game gives you rather than changing settings but I may try a custom setup based on what you suggest and that link does seem to suggest I am not the only one with the issue. I'll report in again in a couple of hours as I have some video's of my season and some pics to share for the other thread's.

Anyone figured out which tracks the AI is "better/faster/more overpowered" on compared to normal?

By normal, I mean I can smash the AI at Monaco at 100 difficulty in My Team, struggle like hell at France with 95 difficulty, then have a really competetive and good fight at Austria and Silverstone at 103 difficulty.

So normal for me would be around 95-100% AI on most tracks. But I haven't figured out which ones yet they are harder to race against on.

I can of course do practice programs and adjust slider each race up and down, but you only have like 3 (maybe 4 with qualifying) chances to change it before actual race day. And doing the qualifying program at say 100% AI and get like P5-10, then the actual qualifying I will put down a great time compared to teammate, but still be like P19. Because the AI crank it up. :lol:

Anyone figured out which tracks the AI is "better/faster/more overpowered" on compared to normal?

By normal, I mean I can smash the AI at Monaco at 100 difficulty in My Team, struggle like hell at France with 95 difficulty, then have a really competetive and good fight at Austria and Silverstone at 103 difficulty.

So normal for me would be around 95-100% AI on most tracks. But I haven't figured out which ones yet they are harder to race against on.

I can of course do practice programs and adjust slider each race up and down, but you only have like 3 (maybe 4 with qualifying) chances to change it before actual race day. And doing the qualifying program at say 100% AI and get like P5-10, then the actual qualifying I will put down a great time compared to teammate, but still be like P19. Because the AI crank it up. :lol:

PJTierney did a great vid for Ckdemastwrs regarding AI levels on YouTube. There's also a few lists around with rough AI scaling per circuit. Catalunya seems to be the benchmark, in that that is the circuit to set your base difficulty on.

I've been using this one as a rough guide. I forget the author but it was a member at Codemaster forum.
SmartSelect_20200826-092448_Gallery.jpg

PJTierney did a great vid for Ckdemastwrs regarding AI levels on YouTube. There's also a few lists around with rough AI scaling per circuit. Catalunya seems to be the benchmark, in that that is the circuit to set your base difficulty on.

I've been using this one as a rough guide. I forget the author but it was a member at Codemaster forum.View attachment 952247
Interesting, that is similar to how I run my "career" but with AI set about 3-5 points lower

Back with my update, got distracted by Miku and button bashing after my F1 session yesterday! :lol:

@alx42 was correct in that the practice program's do link to the position in the table of research & development as I joined Mercedes kicking out Hamilton from the season (cruel I know :cheers:) and the delta times seem impossible to do with the stock default setups.

So I am now in a "What do boss?" meme situation in that I appear to have created myself my own problem and should have stuck with the Racing Point though I am sure this problem would have occurred when we moved above Ferrari etc

I really want to learn and improve myself to be able to do these practice program's but I am clearing missing something when it comes to the car setup and is one reason I never really bothered with the F1 series before this, at least My Team mode I don't have this hurdle yet sine the car is still mid-field in the development and I plan to keep it that way even if it means loosing the championship's.

Advice appreciated as always!

I've been using this one as a rough guide. I forget the author but it was a member at Codemaster forum.View attachment 952247
Appreciate this.

But for me, Austria and Great Britain was good at same difficulty, which in this chart is way different. Hmm. :confused:

I've seen the guides about using Catalunya as a reference, but thing is I don't wanna spend more time there then I absolutely have too. :lol:

Appreciate this.

But for me, Austria and Great Britain was good at same difficulty, which in this chart is way different. Hmm. :confused:

I've seen the guides about using Catalunya as a reference, but thing is I don't wanna spend more time there then I absolutely have too. :lol:

There's no definitive number to set the AI. The AI difficulty and performance will vary from track to track, just like us.

The main thing to keep in mind is that the AI is set to balance tire life and outright pace. So if you set up your car for outright pace in qualifying, the AI should perform better than you during the race, and vice versa. However, if you turn off tire wear, damage, parc ferme rules, and have lower race distance lengths, then this will not matter as much.

Last edited:
There's no definitive number to set the AI. The AI difficulty and performance will vary from track to track, just like us.

The main thing to keep in mind is that the AI is set to balance tire life and outright pace. So if you set up your car for outright pace in qualifying, the AI should perform better than you during the race, and vice versa. However, if you turn off tire wear, damage, and have lower race distance lengths, then this will not matter as much.
Yeah I get that, I just find it interesting that it can be so different for people.

I mean its good that its not the same for everyone. But still.

Will do some more testing though. :D

The main thing to keep in mind is that the AI is set to balance tire life and outright pace. So if you set up your car for outright pace in qualifying, the AI should perform better than you during the race, and vice versa. However, if you turn off tire wear, damage, parc ferme rules, and have lower race distance lengths, then this will not matter as much.
Is it worth doing full races? I've done 2 GPs at half distance which I believe have been around 28-30 laps each race. I haven't run into any tire wear issues during the race, but I'm guessing it's due to the weird strategy my team comes up with. In my first race, they switched me on to the Hards at Lap 11 to finish the race on.

In the 2nd race at Bahrain, they put me on Mediums around lap 8, & then wanted me to do another pit stop around lap 20 for another set of Mediums. I ignored it though b/c of an accident that forced the Safety Car to come out for 3 laps as everyone caught up; if I had pitted, I think I would've dropped a number of places & doubt 5-6 laps was enough to get them back. Otherwise, I run tire wear, parc femme, & my damage is set to Reduced.

What is the best way to manage pace as well? In the older games, I could run much harder consistently but in the newer games, I fear I'm going to struggle turning down the pace for longevity (which I get is what makes the game realistic in a sense). I've even added a couple extra laps of fuel to offset an issue I ran into an older title where I was burning up gas by keeping a constant fast pace. Guessing I need to spend some time in MFD setup?

Is it worth doing full races? I've done 2 GPs at half distance which I believe have been around 28-30 laps each race. I haven't run into any tire wear issues during the race, but I'm guessing it's due to the weird strategy my team comes up with. In my first race, they switched me on to the Hards at Lap 11 to finish the race on.

In the 2nd race at Bahrain, they put me on Mediums around lap 8, & then wanted me to do another pit stop around lap 20 for another set of Mediums. I ignored it though b/c of an accident that forced the Safety Car to come out for 3 laps as everyone caught up; if I had pitted, I think I would've dropped a number of places & doubt 5-6 laps was enough to get them back. Otherwise, I run tire wear, parc femme, & my damage is set to Reduced.

What is the best way to manage pace as well? In the older games, I could run much harder consistently but in the newer games, I fear I'm going to struggle turning down the pace for longevity (which I get is what makes the game realistic in a sense). I've even added a couple extra laps of fuel to offset an issue I ran into an older title where I was burning up gas by keeping a constant fast pace. Guessing I need to spend some time in MFD setup?
You can do full race lengths if you want. I was referring to players that prefer the very short race distances (<5 laps). I personally use 50%.

Your experiences with tire wear will vary depending on a lot of variables. Driving style, pace, car setup, track temp, and track conditions to keep it high-level. For me, tire wear becomes noticeable over 50%. Very noticeable once you come close to end of the tire's useful life span. This tends to be between 60%-80% depending on the compound.

I'm not the best guy to ask about managing pace, as I tend to drive at 8 or 9 tenths at all times, while hitting my marks and timing. Yet from my experiences the easiest way to modify pace without changing your driving style is to change the engine mapping, or chose a different tire compound, or change the car's setup so it's not as optimal (e.g add more/less understeering characteristics) . Outside of that, you can lift and coast before corner entry, and get on the gas later after the apex.

Last edited:
Back