Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
So it's $150 US? And it's a one time thing, must be used within 3 months of it's purchase.

"This maintenance pack is valid as a one-time recourse and for a period of up to 3 months after its purchase"

So essentially, for $150 they will "refresh" the wheel.

I jumped the gun on this post so I edited it.

The service pack seems like a good deal since it is for out of warrenty work.

Last edited:
It says on their site that it's for when you are Out Of Warranty.

I shall delete my previous rant, that's a good offer. I got a little excited on that one :)

Could you also delete my quote so people do not read it and believe what I said? I looked on their site and didn't see the out of warrenty part.

So it's $ €150 US? And it's a one time thing, must be used within 3 months of it's purchase.

"This maintenance pack is valid as a one-time recourse and for a period of up to 3 months after its purchase"

So essentially, for $ €150 they will "refresh" the wheel.

How long is the warranty after you done the maintenance service?

That is a good question really, but it may have been answered in the post preceding yours.

That is pretty common policy regarding out-of-warranty servicing for consumer electronics.
For example, in the USA, the well-known fruit company provides 90 day warranty for service performed on out-of-warranty iDevices and computers.

------------------------------------------
Just have to throw this one out here guys and gals, some math might be in order.
Lets say you have a functional CSW B nearing end of warranty, maybe even a few months away from end of standard warranty period (2 years).

Selling it for a loss of about €150 or even a bit more, and then ponying up for a new unit could potentially be less expensive than the out-of-warranty "Maintenance Pack" service plan (MSP). For example, if the CSW B were to fail again after the "one time" 90-day MSP period has expired. That could potentially add up to €150 + €150 + shipping? For example: 2nd failure 90+ days after MP servicing.

Trotting out the well-known fruit company again, they offer something called "Fruit"Care, its a bit different though, it actually extends the initial warranty period of 1 year for its iDevices by an additional year, and by two years for its computer products in the USA.

"Fruit"Care costs roughly 25% to 35% of covered product's retail price and must be purchased before the initial one year standard warranty expires. The MSP is about 33% of CSW B retail price and offers 90 days warranty.

* Referenced USA fruit company warranty policies because laws regarding warranty may differ in other countries.

Last edited:
I think that you buy the MSP and then they have to receive your wheel within three months after that? So you can´t purchase it and then if the wheel brakes after 6 month use it? Why you would do that I don´t know though.

I think that you buy the MSP and then they have to receive your wheel within three months after that? So you can´t purchase it and then if the wheel brakes after 6 month use it? Why you would do that I don´t know though.

I think it is saying that you can purchase the MSP up to three months after you purchase your wheel.

I think it is saying that you can purchase the MSP up to three months after you purchase your wheel.

NO!
The MSP is valid 3 months after your purchase of the MSP! so if you buy the CSW Base now you have 2 years warranty until January 2015. If you buy the MSP, lets say in July 2017, because you want to exchange the spare parts, you have time until October 2017 to send them your wheel. :)

NO!
The MSP is valid 3 months after your purchase of the MSP! so if you buy the CSW Base now you have 2 years warranty until January 2015. If you buy the MSP, lets say in July 2017, because you want to exchange the spare parts, you have time until October 2017 to send them your wheel. :)

Correct.

Perhaps the PSP's terms for purchase are being confused with the MSP's terms by some.

Per Fanatec:

Last edited:
I find it to be a lot of money... 150 euros, excluding initial shipping costs.
To be honest, it would only be useful is your wheel has serious issues you might not be able to fix yourself. Especially when there are multiple issues at hand here.

Still good that they offer this service though. I am sure many people will be happy to know that Fanatec doesn't completely abandon them after the warranty period ends. So in that respect... 👍

Now I hope Fanatec will get my account on their website sorted. It seems my email address is in use according to the registration form, but the login and pass reset forms can't find my email in the records.
Already mailed them about it today. :)
After that I will inquire them about some stuff so that my CSW Base and Rims will get up to the latest specs, as well as asking about the belts and stuff.

As HoiHman told me last night via PM, I tried the belt dressing but it doesn't work. Though it helps a little, a new belt would be a better investment. Belt dressing is like a sort of glue that doesn't dry completely. It helps a bit, but you get that kind of velcro sound back for it. Plus it's a pain to clean up and if you're not careful will get everywhere because of the wide spray coming out of the nozzle. Also there will be tiny drops flying everywhere that are hard to remove as well.

Next to that I later found that both Gates and Optibelt also both say not to use this stuff and get a new belt instead. Guess they are right, though sometimes stuff like that is said to enhance sales so had to try (also for the sake of everyone wondering).

Also I want to ask Thomas if he can devise a way (as upgrade and for future CSW Bases) to offload the stress on the motor pulleys by putting them on their own bearings. This would then solve the issue of too quickly over tightening the belts and maybe then the little belt will be able to have a more proper tension where it will not slip so quickly over time. Also it will be far easier to tighten it for everyone then.

As HoiHman told me last night via PM, I tried the belt dressing but it doesn't work. Though it helps a little, a new belt would be a better investment. Belt dressing is like a sort of glue that doesn't dry completely. It helps a bit, but you get that kind of velcro sound back for it. Plus it's a pain to clean up and if you're not careful will get everywhere because of the wide spray coming out of the nozzle. Also there will be tiny drops flying everywhere that are hard to remove as well.

Next to that I later found that both Gates and Optibelt also both say not to use this stuff and get a new belt instead. Guess they are right, though sometimes stuff like that is said to enhance sales so had to try (also for the sake of everyone wondering).

Also I want to ask Thomas if he can devise a way (as upgrade and for future CSW Bases) to offload the stress on the motor pulleys by putting them on their own bearings. This would then solve the issue of too quickly over tightening the belts and maybe then the little belt will be able to have a more proper tension where it will not slip so quickly over time. Also it will be far easier to tighten it for everyone then.

Hi Logi
what you are experiencing is also the drive and driven pulleys grooves have become slightly polished due to the long term slippage of the belts.
therefor it would be preferable to lightly sand the pulley grooves with either a scotchbrite or 400 grit sandpaper before replacing the belts - if not the new belts will again start to slip earlier than normal

Hi Logi
what you are experiencing is also the drive and driven pulleys grooves have become slightly polished due to the long term slippage of the belts.
therefor it would be preferable to lightly sand the pulley grooves with either a scotchbrite or 400 grit sandpaper before replacing the belts - if not the new belts will again start to slip earlier than normal

Thanks for the tip! 👍
Will do that when I get some new ones. These ones are practically done for now I think. Was busy all evening today to disassemble the wheel and remove belts and pulleys and clean them with brake cleaner and later some good old water and soap. So much rubber has let go (due to the use of the Loctite 8005) that the grooves were fully filled up with rubber.

On the positive side, I do now know how to replace the belts. :sly:
You'll have to remove the back, sides and plastic window. Making sure to not loose any parts of the start button, and disassembling the cables on the right hand side of the electronics board. As well as the thin white cable going to the power button. Then loosen the belts by moving the pulley on the left and the motor assembly on the right towards the center. Take off the belts partly. remove the motors and then remove the belts from the motor assembly. Remove the rest of the screws on the front and you'll be able to take it off. Though be carefull as there is a thin plastic 'washer' or gasket around the steering column bearing. This needs to be placed back. Remove the belts, and then reverse my whole ramblings after you've done cleaning (removing any rubber debry and (as suggested) sanding.

I'll probably be temporarily using G27 pedals with the CSW. Have others been able to do so and connect to the PS3 reliably?

I know the product page says it works, but I thought I'd check with others here as well.

Thanks!

I'll probably be temporarily using G27 pedals with the CSW. Have others been able to do so and connect to the PS3 reliably?

I know the product page says it works, but I thought I'd check with others here as well.

Thanks!

I used the CSR-Elite with the G25 pedals, which is basically the same.
Worked flawless ;)
But you need the adapter cable to connect them.

I needed to contact Fanatec support about my BMW rim having a wobble in the conection to the base. I sent a email to them on Saturday and on Monday they replied giving the option of sending the rim to them or sending me a new spring to replace myself. I choose to replace the sprimg myself and on Tuesday they sent a email they would send the spring. I recieved the spring today (Friday). So Im happy with the response time. I installed the new spring and Im happy to report it has solved my issue. I no longer need to use the screw to remove the wobble from the rim. So if 1 of your rims has a wobble, but not the other I would say give Fanatec a call and try the new spring. Only took about a minute to replace.

I've got the formula and BMW rims for the CSW. Lately I have been running cars in iRacing that use the formula style rim, so I have been using it on my base. Today I jumped in the MX-5 and the FF was almost non existent when compared to the formula rim. I would love to have a new version of a normal sterring wheel that is much lighter then the BMW rim. I don't think I will ever be able to use it again after trying it today. It might have been the track car combo because I had never ran it before, but even when I hit wall or lossed control it still felt really weak. I also had the FF turned up to max in game. I just couldn't believe the difference int he two wheels.

Another funny thing was how huge it felt. I always thought it felt kind of small before I got use to the little formula rim.

@ Fatkrakr
It really does seem they have stepped it up with customer service. I haven't seem to many complaints about them lately.

Last edited:
I've got the formula and BMW rims for the CSW. Lately I have been running cars in iRacing that use the formula style rim, so I have been using it on my base. Today I jumped in the MX-5 and the FF was almost non existent when compared to the formula rim. I would love to have a new version of a normal sterring wheel that is much lighter then the BMW rim. I don't think I will ever be able to use it again after trying it today. It might have been the track car combo because I had never ran it before, but even when I hit wall or lossed control it still felt really weak. I also had the FF turned up to max in game. I just couldn't believe the difference int he two wheels.

Another funny thing was how huge it felt. I always thought it felt kind of small before I got use to the little formula rim.

@ Fatkrakr
It really does seem they have stepped it up with customer service. I haven't seem to many complaints about them lately.

Sometimes you have to turn the force setting in the tuning menu set to a high value. Also iRacing seems to be a little hit and miss with the CSW. Some cars feel good, other... no so much. IDK why.

I'm sure that I read by 'Fanatec' or 'Thomas' on here or 911 that it was due to ship in the first week of January.

That I heard in late December, so I thought it might become reality soon.

I check the Fanatec Wheel page on an hourly basis, but no sightings yet, obviously...

Back