Favorite Engines/Transmissions

United States
Indiana
camaroyenko
No....just no.
What's everyone's favorite engines? Three allowed.

1. Big Block Chevy, preferably 572 cubic inches
2. Small block Chevy, preferably 350 cubic inches
3. Tough one, but I'd say Ford 427.

Then you can pick favorite transmissions if you want to.

1. Chevy Powerglide (Auto)
2. Chevy Turbo 400 (Auto)
3. Muncie M20 (Manual)

What's everyone's favorite engines? Three allowed.

1. Big Block Chevy, preferably 572 cubic inches
2. Small block Chevy, preferably 350 cubic inches
3. Tough one, but I'd say Ford 427.

Then you can pick favorite transmissions if you want to.

1. Chevy Powerglide (Auto)
2. Chevy Turbo 400 (Auto)
3. Muncie M20 (Manual)

You have a nice well rounded taste in cars.

1. 426 Hemi backed by a Tremec T-56 (adapters can make this possible)
2. Detroit Diesel 6V-92 backed by the Eaton-Fuller T14607A 7-speed non-synchronized transmission. Double-clutching should be fun :lol:
3. Twin-turbocharged Porsche M64/60 (a la air-cooled 911 GT2) backed by the G50 6-speed, especially if stuffed into something unsuspecting such as a VW Bus :D

Last edited:
^I've noticed on a few occasions that when someone replies in response to a comment of yours, you're suddenly not allowed to have an opinion.

My picks:

1. Toyota 1UZ-FE
2. VW VR6
3. Nissan SR20DET

1. Subaru EJ20
2. The LFA's 1LR-GSE V10
3. The Ford Mustang Boss 302's engine.

^I've noticed on a few occasions that when someone replies in response to a comment of yours, you're suddenly not allowed to have an opinion.

Yes, because it does seem that way.

At least I don't come out and say it. "Oh these foreign cars are pieces of crap". I've NEVER said it like that. Some people just are too touchy, apparently.

I guess I can't have an opinion, eh?

I'm sorry, but I just hate foreign cars. They don't have enough horsepower to suit my taste.

You might consider a little research first.

This is an extreme example, and it's a race car: Let's take a stroll back to 1973: in qualifying tune, the Porsche 917/30, with it's air-cooled 4.5L flat-12 engine, produced 1,580 bhp.

For a more realistic, slightly more modern engine, the M64/60, in the Porsche 911 GT2 (993 model, last of the air-cooled Porsche 911s) cranked out 450 hp, with a displacement of 3.6 liters.

In 1987, the Ferrari F40, with its twin-turbocharged 2.9L V8, cranked out 471 hp.

The 2012 Nissan GT-R's twin-turbocharged 3.8L V6 cranks out 530 hp.

As a juxtoposition, Ford's twin-turbocharged 3.5L, found under the hood of the F-150, Flex, and Taurus SHO, cranks out 365 hp.

Ultimate example of a street-driven vehicle from overseas? The Bugatti Veyron, with its quad-turbocharged 8.0L W16 cranks out 1,001 hp (and drinks a LOT of gas to do it! :lol:)

While I can understand a favorable opinion of large-displacement carbureted V8 engines, having owned a couple of them myself, there is something to be said for the engineering that goes into making an air-cooled flat 6 that displaces less than 4 liters that can produce in excess of 400 hp.

DOHC Ford Modular motors of any description.

So 4.6 DOHC, 5.4 DOHC, and I'll include the Coyote.

While not at the top of my list, those easily make #4. Bet you can't guess why ;) :lol:

I guess I can't have an opinion, eh?
Oh, you can have an opinion. You clearly do.

I was just suggesting maybe you have legitimate reasons to back it up, rather than some numbers you've seen online.

I'm sorry, but I just hate foreign cars. They don't have enough horsepower to suit my taste.

Of course, if you wanted to invalidate your opinion, saying things that are blatantly false does a mighty fine job.

OBVIOUSLY the only high-powered Japanese car is the X1. :lol:

smcut.gif

You lost me. Foreign cars = Japan? And only a race car is powerful?

1. SR series
2. B18C
3. those e36 BMW inline 6ers

amd :banghead: at foreign cars don't have power. Power is nothing without control and American cars are definitely lacking in control.

1. The Cadillac Northstar series(that includes the Aurora)
2. Chevy 350
3. Cadillac V16(The ones from before the war as well)

Hrmm I suppose it depends if it's for racing or street use.

26B would be pretty high up, as is the BRM V16. A well set up high revving 4AGE is pretty nice as well.

For street use, Chev LS3, 3SGTE (biased) or a ported 13B turbo...

You all know I'm a hot rod and muscle car guy, but I've got engine tastes that are a bit wee different than saying SBC or Ford 5.0...

I really like Ford's SOHC 'cammer from the 60s, just because of how absolutely exotic they were back then. Heck, still now they are really way off. And they look awesome. close second would be the Boss 429.

The new-gen HEMI engine, I've never seen such breathing capabilities from a stock factory head. If only they were easier to swap... they'll never be as cheap as an LSx, but they are eyery bit as good in making monster power... and every bit as ugly as well. I just like the architecture of the engine.

The 500 inch Cadoo from the 70s, stupid torque pigs will put down 500 lb/ft on the stock exhaust logs, are really light for being a big-ass big block and can make stupid power with just a few bolt ons. You open the hood and this insultingly big engine erupts. "what is it?" -"a Cad" -"wtf..." And it's cheap cheap CHEAP!

And fourth, the 392 HEMI from the 50s, heavy as hell, WIDE as hell, but cool as no other. They predated the strips back in the day with blowers atop them, yet they look right at home with three Strombergs on a hoodless street rod or a low-to-teh-ground lead sled. Yup.

Three favourite engines:

1. GM 3800 Series II - solidly reliable, gets me from point A to point B, and I can personally attest to its low end torque and relatively good fuel consumption.

2. Alfa-Romeo 2.5 L 90° V6 engine - the one in the '90s DTM 155 - I love the naturally aspirated, insanely high RPMs (~12,000) generated! :D

3. AMC 401 V8 - these sound awesome, and there's something to be said for shaking the ground at every stoplight!

Also, honourable mention to the Northstar V8, even though they are slightly cantankerous at times - they're so smooth and powerful, with all the nice doodads that come one modern engines, and a good compromise between the styles of engines I described above.

Engines:

-Barra 310T (Ford Performance Vehicles FG F6)
-S65B40 (E90/92/93 M3)
-EJ20T (countless WRX and WRX STi variants)
-RB26DETT (R32-R34 GT-R)
-VR38DETT (R35 GT-R)
-Ford 351 Cleveland
-LS3
-F20C (AP1 S2000)
-Lamborghini L539 (Aventador LP700-4)

Yep...I love me a lot of engines.

Transmissions (I don't know the specific transmission names for most of these...so sue me...):

-2012 R35 GT-R double-clutch 6-speed
-FPV F6's ZF 6-speed auto
-CL9 Accord Euro 6-speed manual (seriously, Honda do some pretty damn silky manuals)
-Lamborghini ISR
-Holden Trimatic
-TR6060 MM10 (HSV GTS E3)
-Getrag V16x [V160/V161] (Toyota Supra MkIV)

amd :banghead: at foreign cars don't have power. Power is nothing without control and American cars are definitely lacking in control.

The Z06 would like to disagree.

At this point, every continent has capable cars in every segment, more or less. Minus the USA only segments that the Challenger and Camaro are in, since they don't do much of anything well in my opinion. Mustang can turn pretty dang well now too.

Trying to disprove dumb stereotypes with dumb stereotypes doesn't work.

My Engines:
-Toss up between the Ford FE (390, 427) and Windsor (289, 302, 351)
-GM LSX series, especially the LS6/7. Most versatile V8 ever.
-BMW 3.0 Twin Turbo.

Volvo B234F - Very robust and versatile motor. In NA form, it can be bored and stroked from 2.3l to 3.2l and ~400bhp, and with forced induction you can get easily to over thousand horsepowers. Not bad for a 4-banger. :cool:

Mazda wankels - Because pistons can be boring. And you can keep stacking them up with long crankshaft. :lol:

WWII airplane motors - Because american V8's are too small and quiet. And have those pesky pushrods. ;)

Back