Favorite Engines/Transmissions

-Mazda R26B (because they are awesome.)
-Toyota 4A-GE 20v Silver top (High-revving and awesome sounding)
-Honda F20C
-Lexus 1LR-GSE
-Toyota 2L-TE Diesel (I have one)

1. Judd 3.5 litre EV V8
Just listen to that!

2. Judd 3.4 litre DB V8
Yeah, I'm Judd fanboy, when it comes to engines. The sound is just so glorious.

3. Chevy's LSx engines, for fitting into basically anything (including Miatas) and making things manly.

Honorable mention goes to the SR20DET, I think.

BMW S85 - 40 valve V10
Lexus/Toyota 1LR-GSE - 40 valve V10
Nissan RB26DETT - Twin-turbocharged 24-valve Inline-6.

Just trying to even out the bias from the OP. :lol:
As pointed out, you can say what about the American engines, but to say that cars from outside the US are underpowered has to be as far you can get from the truth.

Last edited:
Most of them do, yes.

Apart from the 79.2% that don't.

According to data posted by Ward’s Auto (sub. req.), the V8 engine powered a mere 20.8 percent of the total North American light-vehicle output in 2010, down from the 22.8 percent in 2009. In contrast, the four-cylinder engine powered 64.5 percent of all cars built in 2010, an increase from the 61.9 percent in 2009.

Mazda R26B
Lexus 1LR-GSE
Porsche 911 series of Boxer 6 engines (I can't pick a single one lol)

I'd throw in aircraft engines, but seeing this is an automotive oriented part of the forum....

Indeed. But a VERY (emphasize very) select few. 90% of my foreign-car-hate is directed toward Japanese cars. British cars, I don't mind them as much.

And what's wrong with Japanese cars? They are usually (needs correction) properly engineered and reliable. Is it that the sporty models usually do not have gigantic OHV V8's, but go for something that is using forced induction or high-revving I4s? :P

[terrible joke] Is there some kind of childhood trauma we don't know about? [/terrible joke]

In no particular order

Aluminum 572ci Supercharged Methanol-burning Ford Wedge
Aluminum 572ci Supercharged Methanol-burning Kieth Black Hemi
Chrysler 426 Hemi
Hudson 304 Straight Six Twin H-Power
Toyota 4A-GE
Cosworth YB
RB26DETT
VQ35DE
VR38DETT
Detroit 12V671
Rolls Royce Merlin
Any GM V8 that's not a Chevrolet or Chevrolet-based.

Stuff I can't stand
Big Block Chevrolets
Small Block Chevrolets
Electro-Motive Division 645
Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive
Audi V10

No particular order, but three of my favorite engines:
Aston Martin P1 V12 - holy sound, screams so smooth.
Dodge Viper V10 - child hood dream, unique approach to an exotic car
Jeep/AMC I6 - first engine I built, stroked to 4.6 over 4.0. Makes great torque for fun street driving. It sounds different from most anything.

As far as transmissions, I think you have to drive one in order to like it or dislike it. I like my AX15 5spd, but compared to most everything else it's just a truck trans, nothing to see here.

LOL at the OP. Drop your bias now and try to like automotive stuff from other parts of the world; it will be healthy for you. When you find you start to like other things, then revisit American engines. Not saying you won't like American engines anymore, you will just be better well-rounded and people will likely take you seriously. Yes it's true American engines (big performance ones, anyway) can be huge, simple and make huge power. Several of the newer ones are great and winning awards. But when you drop your blindness you will see there is something to be said for engineering rather than limiting yourself to muscle car engines.

Last edited:
Trying to disprove dumb stereotypes with dumb stereotypes doesn't work.

Definitely, the stereotype has been disproven as of late. but at least in the 80s and 90s they were definitely true. Those front heavy cars turned like an oil tanker. My dad once told me a story of when he tried to drive a v8 trans am in the snow. the rear stepped out on flat ground in a straight line. He's an experienced driver with track time so he knew how to control a car. He ended up parking it somewhere and walked home. Just an anecdote. Maybe he didnt have appropriate tires on it, but that's what I learned when i was 12 years old and that story helped to develop my tastes into what they are now. I prefer cornering agility over tire-burning power. One can make you a better driver, the other can't. I really respect what LS and ford engines have done power wise, it's just that the rest of the car around it is (more like was - the new track weapon and v6 mustangs are great, as are the newer vettes as someone said) built for straight line speed only.

But what do I know, I want a miata :ill:

Last edited:
The only reason the 4-cylinder engine number is so high is because of the emissions crap. No offense to environment-crazy people, but I've got strong opinions on that, and to be completely honest, I don't feel like even more off topic posts in the thread.

1. RB26DETT
2. 5.0 L V8 (Boss 302)
3. VR38DETT
4. SR20DET
5. 2.3 L I4 (BMW M3 E30)

The only reason the 4-cylinder engine number is so high is because of the emissions crap. No offense to environment-crazy people, but I've got strong opinions on that, and to be completely honest, I don't feel like even more off topic posts in the thread.

Then why did you post at all?

4 cylinders are around because people want good gas mileage. Running a car is expensive, and that stuff adds up. Emissions can be met with any layout, it is just a matter of how much power you want to put out at a certain point. But then the new turbo 4's are making excellent power and great fuel economy.

Please educate yourself before you go off talking about your strong opinion. You will just keep having it thrown in your face till you can show some valid reasons for what you think.

The absolute best engine, trans combo ever has to be a 358 gen 2 small block chevy with NASCAR heads, hooked up to a t-56. It is the thing gear heads dream about and gives the EPA nightmares.:D

I think I'll just leave this here...

4164860093_676653a3df_b.jpg

Yes, it's a 4-cylinder. And yes, it wore the Yenko name, the same name that's used in your forum name, Camaroyenko.

Seems even Don Yenko saw potential in economy cars with 4-cylinder engines.

Then why did you post at all?
Because everyone's making a huge freaking deal out of it!

There are VERY few on-topic posts in this thread, just thought I'd throw that out there

Yes, it's a 4-cylinder. And yes, it wore the Yenko name, the same name that's used in your forum name, Camaroyenko.

Seems even Don Yenko saw potential in economy cars with 4-cylinder engines.

They didn't give a crap about gas mileage back then though. Gas was what, 80 cents a gallon? The reason for the turbocharged 4 cylinder is for fast response. The ONLY advantages small engines have over big ones are response, and higher RPMs. Now don't flame me, I'm going to explain why, so people don't make a huge deal out of it.

Due to smaller parts (crankshaft, pistons, etc.), it is much faster to reach the redline. These so called smaller parts have less material, which in turn equals less weight. Now for big blocks, there's more material which means heavier parts, which of course means slower revving.

Simple stuff, guys.

Last edited:
Bleeding obvious stuff aside, what was the relevance of any of that again?

Because everyone's hating on me saying that I need to "educate" myself. That shows that I DO know what I'm talking about. Not to toot my horn, but I'm tired of getting handed all this crap, bub.

And also, I don't care what car a 4-cylinder may be in, I still don't like those engines. I like CUBIC INCHES....

Don't know much about transmissions, but here are my favorite engines:
S65
S85
S38
13B
2JZ-GTE
RB26DETT
930.6X
EDIT: Oh and pretty much every Ferrari engine there is

Back