FIA GT1 Nurburgring 24h Endurance Challenge - Sunday 1st April

• Thread starter DaxCobra
  • 99 comments
Phew! Panicked when you said room open. :lol:

When you say "entrance to the Nordschliefe is that the first split we reach there (Nordschliefe start line)? :)

Green flag at the Nordschleife start line, yes.

Oh.. A few more..

The guys who signed up these last few hours are not listed in the OP.. Are they in?
Biffy and carracerptp comes to mind..

And about the start, where do we start?
Cause I doubt we're doing a full formationlap, correct?

Wait, biffys coming too, sounds like a great line up 👍

Lost 2 minutes on lap 1 from being on the wrong tyre, was closing in a bit until I needed to pull over and retire soon after, ah well, shame about it, but I'm going to get my dinner now.:D

P.S. SLR handles like crap, Dax.;)

Struggling with a broken pedal...

Well, there is one thing we can learn from this test... and that is that we still have no idea who is the fastest or what is the fastest car.

Rain kind of missed the point of it. Haha.

Well that was excellent fun. But by far and away the greatest thing to take from the race was:

MY CONNECTION LASTED! :D With no lag whatsoever.

So at first I thought the SLR was a tank, heavy and understeery, but after I got used to it, it came alive. Especially in the wet.

The Viper looked like a handful..... and that was in the dry. :lol:

My race: Was going well, had a few offs to start with and took a pitstop after 2 laps and found myself 50 seconds down. I began pushing like mad and managed to close from 57ish seconds down to just 28.

Then it went dark.... :lol:...... and it all went wrong as I could hardly see a thing. Still I battled on and was dicing with Sumo and Biffy despite being on different strategies.

I was looking good for 3rd as I only had one stop left to make at the end of lap 9 and then I got the call for dinner. :( And it was getting light- something I was sure would help me pull out a gap on Biffy.

But, I never expected to finish really, I just wanted to have a bit of fun and test the my connection. :)

Excellent racing folks. 👍

Magnificent racing.

And yeah, if you want to see what a handful looks like, watch my 1st few laps...

:scared:

The SLR is faster I think, not by much but its limit is slightly higher than the other cars.... I think.....
I had a great time, I was about to use the SLR but decide on running the Viper because of it's more fun to drive.

I think in the rain at night I was a little faster than Denilson/Chorla, but in the daytime he was getting better tire wear and lap times.

For a 2 hour race I can live with 12s loss for 1st. It was closer than I would have hoped.

Great Job Denilson 👍

Crazy ****, I had no chance to keep up when it was getting too wet and then night came and i didn't even remember where on the track i were at some times.. so yeah my only goal in the end was to keep away from being lapped and i managed just that by about ten seconds ;) so i'm satisfied with my race.

Edit: Carracer was fastest though, last lap was a 10:04 or something like that.. :)

Edit2: 10:02.105 it was.. i'm baffled over how fast it was.. in contrast my fastest was 10:57.522 and yeah that was really a one time thing..

Last edited:
The SLR is faster I think, not by much but its limit is slightly higher than the other cars.... I think.....

I disagree. In the wet, sure. In the dry not so much- it has a lot of understeer in slower turns.

My main problem was I wasn't familiar enough with the track to know exactly what was coming next in the pitch black. A couple of times I misjudged corners because I thought it was a different corner. :lol:

I disagree. In the wet, sure. In the dry not so much- it has a lot of understeer in slower turns.

My main problem was I wasn't familiar enough with the track to know exactly what was coming next in the pitch black. A couple of times I misjudged corners because I thought it was a different corner. :lol:

You can tune the understeer out. I was pushing the cars hard at Mazda race way.

Could go .3 faster in SLR. I think I was within about a second of both cars limit.

Hmm, i don't know what happened to my car. My tuning must have been the complete opposite of what anyone sensible would drive. I could barely touch the throttle without spinning out. Even at the end of 3rd gear the car would slide out randomly. I don't know how you guys do it!

It was fun just being there though. If there's going to be any lapped cars out there it might as well be me..

Hmm, i don't know what happened to my car. My tuning must have been the complete opposite of what anyone sensible would drive. I could barely touch the throttle without spinning out. Even at the end of 3rd gear the car would slide out randomly. I don't know how you guys do it!

It was fun just being there though. If there's going to be any lapped cars out there it might as well be me..

Glad you hung in right up to the finish.

I was short shifting my car to death. I was launching out of corners in 3rd gear.

What was your ride height? I was using 30/30.

I had a great time, I was about to use the SLR but decide on running the Viper because of it's more fun to drive.

I think in the rain at night I was a little faster than Denilson/Chorla, but in the daytime he was getting better tire wear and lap times.

For a 2 hour race I can live with 12s loss for 1st. It was closer than I would have hoped.

Great Job Denilson 👍

Well, my first stint was 4 laps, and after that, I pit at lap 4, 7, 9..
I had some trouble during my 2nd and 3rd stint with a lot of unforced errors. So I have a hard time to determine our pace.. It seemed to me that I was gaining thru the laps pretty constantly.. But mistakes made me loose my hard earned seconds.. :banghead:
But I agree that I was a tad slower as a whole during the dark hours.. But I always have trouble in the dark, cause my LCD is soo dark.. Can't see **** from time to time.

My fastest lap was on my last lap on 3 lap old tyres in 100% wet conditions.. 10:10.4XX or similar.. And I made 2 huge mistakes on that lap as well.
Should've hit sub 10 with ease if I stayed on the track.

But all in all, it was a great race, and I'm really happy to perform like I did concidering my sub par wet skills.

It's defenetly something that I really want to improve, and today was a step in the right direction.

Thanks you DaxCobra for putting this together! 👍
A few tips for the future..
Carspecs need to be 100% accurate to not have issues to sort over the chat. It's much better and smooth to have all set prior race start.
Same goes for where to start.
Also, the quali procedure was'nt exactly fair.
The first driver on track had a less wet track. I had to quali in 50% wet with Sport Softs. It was'nt the end of the world for a 2 hour casual spot race.. But for the championship, this needs to be sorted.

And about the cars.. Since we're allowed to tune our cars, and also have LSD and fully costomaizable suspension, any over/understeer can be tuned out. So that's not an issue.
As far as the pace of the cars I have no say.
I picked the Aston cause it looks good, so did'nt try any other car.
It seemed pretty even tho.

Won't happen, can't race next sunday ^^ can't even do the last lotus race next saturday.

Well, my first stint was 4 laps, and after that, I pit at lap 4, 7, 9..
I had some trouble during my 2nd and 3rd stint with a lot of unforced errors. So I have a hard time to determine our pace.. It seemed to me that I was gaining thru the laps pretty constantly.. But mistakes made me loose my hard earned seconds.. :banghead:
But I agree that I was a tad slower as a whole during the dark hours.. But I always have trouble in the dark, cause my LCD is soo dark.. Can't see **** from time to time.
I could see either, I'm better at racing at night on this track than in daylight.
My fastest lap was on my last lap on 3 lap old tyres in 100% wet conditions.. 10:10.4XX or similar.. And I made 2 huge mistakes on that lap as well.
Should've hit sub 10 with ease if I stayed on the track.

But all in all, it was a great race, and I'm really happy to perform like I did concidering my sub par wet skills.

It's defenetly something that I really want to improve, and today was a step in the right direction.

Thanks you DaxCobra for putting this together! 👍
A few tips for the future..
Carspecs need to be 100% accurate to not have issues to sort over the chat. It's much better and smooth to have all set prior race start.
Same goes for where to start.
Also, the quali procedure was'nt exactly fair.
The first driver on track had a less wet track. I had to quali in 50% wet with Sport Softs. It was'nt the end of the world for a 2 hour casual spot race.. But for the championship, this needs to be sorted.
I think that needs to be fixed too. hated that last season (I had to run Monza under the power limit with less aero because the PP was too low ).
And about the cars.. Since we're allowed to tune our cars, and also have LSD and fully costomaizable suspension, any over/understeer can be tuned out. So that's not an issue.
As far as the pace of the cars I have no say.
I picked the Aston cause it looks good, so did'nt try any other car.
It seemed pretty even tho.

Some cars like the SLR just have more "Grip" even with proper tuning. But I think the cars are all within 1.4 seconds~ of each other depending on the track.

Glad you hung in right up to the finish.

I was short shifting my car to death. I was launching out of corners in 3rd gear.

What was your ride height? I was using 30/30.

I was shifting at 5-6000rpm and launching out of most corners in 3rd (2nd only for engine braking) which was possible because of the SLR's huge amount of torque. :D

Is GT5's night time really that hard to see in or is my TV just rubbish? (It is at least a 10 year old CRT but still. :lol:)

It is really dark.. at least on my LCD television ^^ The ferrari had no need for short shifting by the way..

I was shifting at 5-6000rpm and launching out of most corners in 3rd (2nd only for engine braking) which was possible because of the SLR's huge amount of torque. :D

Is GT5's night time really that hard to see in or is my TV just rubbish? (It is at least a 10 year old CRT but still. :lol:)

Yes, it's dark :lol:

I had SERIOUS visibility issues in the night. I think that for whatever reason the lightbox for the headlights wasn't rendering, thus I could only see the basic lighting on the barriers and immediately in front of me.

That wasn't the reason why I kept crashing into you though, that was just sloppy driving. >_<

I had SERIOUS visibility issues in the night. I think that for whatever reason the lightbox for the headlights wasn't rendering, thus I could only see the basic lighting on the barriers and immediately in front of me.

That wasn't the reason why I kept crashing into you though, that was just sloppy driving. >_<

Did you try changing from high to low beams then back to high beams?

That's what I had. I just aimed for the apexes that lit up in front of me and had to anticipate what was coming up.

At one point you must have been following me rather than the track though because I misjudged a braking point and slammed the barrier and then you piled right into the back of me. :lol:

Some cars like the SLR just have more "Grip" even with proper tuning. But I think the cars are all within 1.4 seconds~ of each other depending on the track.

As I said, the cars seem to be on par from what I could tell.

And about the tuning. Even tho I've not driven the cars in this series apart from the Aston, I'm pretty sure the cars can be tweaked to similar handling.
Then we have the obvious fact that all cars are different, ofc. Some will feel more over/understeery or have better/worse braking performance etc.
That's the nature of cars, and what it all comes down to in the end is personal preference imo. 👍

Did anyone else have problems with the Karussells? I was having to ride the brake all the way through to stop the back kicking around. :nervous:

The carousel was really treacherous .. i spun there twice in some real weird spins, it came so sudden and just spun the car around. Otherwise my car was really stable and not like the monsters some of you seemed to have but there it was tricky.

The carousel was really treacherous .. i spun there twice in some real weird spins, it came so sudden and just spun the car around. Otherwise my car was really stable and not like the monsters some of you seemed to have but there it was tricky.

Yeah, it was literally like driving on ice- No matter how much I counter steered, the car continued going around. :nervous:

My car was a bit of a truck but the Viper just looked dangerous. :scared:

Back