FITT-Hot Hatch Tuning Challenge - Final Results are in!

Actually, was hoping someone would try it. Originally tested 8 or 9 cars, same LSD and stock racing suspension. Picked 1 of 2 weights and let them fly. Beetle was third fastest behind the scirocco and Focus which also did not get used.

Edit: Imagine if everyone had to use a different car, no duplicates.:mischievous:
No Beetle should be that fast, it's just plain wrong :odd:

Actually, was hoping someone would try it. Originally tested 8 or 9 cars, same LSD and stock racing suspension. Picked 1 of 2 weights and let them fly. Beetle was third fastest behind the scirocco and Focus which also did not get used.

Edit: Imagine if everyone had to use a different car, no duplicates.:mischievous:

Beetle was third fastest!!?? Got the PD love then!

Congrats Brian. Sounds like you might be on a winner there.
Let us know how the test of the hybrid goes.

For me the hybrid settings didnt work. The Engine did rev better but the -ve toe settings on the front didnt inspire confidence. I found it a bit floaty on entry. I like to chuck it in with confidence and and needed the exit grip +ve toe gave me.

Beetle was third fastest!!?? Got the PD love then!

For me the hybrid settings didnt work. The Engine did rev better but the -ve toe settings on the front didnt inspire confidence. I found it a bit floaty on entry. I like to chuck it in with confidence and and needed the exit grip +ve toe gave me.
Handled like a wet noodle though.

Use - toe on the rear to give exit grip and - toe on the front to get it to turn in. stiffer rear and softer front will help it rotate as well and give you a solid feel turning in, go too soft and and the fronts over load past grip point.

Edit; buying all these cars is helping my paint supply lol

Last edited:
Use - toe on the rear to give exit grip and - toe on the front to get it to turn in. stiffer rear and softer front will help it rotate as well and give you a solid feel turning in, go too soft and and the fronts over load past grip point.

Thanks, it was a suggestion from @JujiroMatsuda about a combined tune that he thought might work for him. I wasnt expecting it to work for me, but you never know so i gave it a few laps. i`d used the break bias and ballast to get the front in so i could have +ve toe on the front for better exit, get it straight sooner. Cheers for the reminder tho! Very concise!

Thanks to all the reviewers! One of these days I'll beat Hami with a street car! :D For now it looks like I'm right in the middle where I'm supposed to be. I think I may have adapted too well to my car over the months I tuned it. Ah well, more experience. I'll poke around the other 'roccos and see if I can improve it.

Somewhere in the 20s seems like a good number of cars. Depending on how many classes there are then more cars works. As far as budgets and earning credits I don't know if I've mentioned this or if everyone is aware I do the red bull chalenge with tc=1 racing softs and srf on. It takes 20 minutes to win the first 4 races and skip the last one and with full login bonus it nets 2 million. Takes a little practice but it is easy to repeat once you get the hang of it.
Bah! There's enough downforce on those things that you don't need SRF at all, even with hard tires. Still working on the fan car laps but Monza was a piece of cake, even without cutting the chicanes. Poor Vettel can't catch a break. Has to follow Riccairdo and me to the line! :sly::lol:

I gave the Beetle some serious testing but couldn't figure out what to do to get it to not handle like a wet noodle or a sack of potatoes. I learned a lot about tuning FF from this shootout and I've been working on my own Scirocco at 470pp. I think I'll try to tame the Beetle now too at 470pp and see how fast I can get it around Brands Hatch GP:P. I'm having way too much fun with FFs now!

Bah! There's enough downforce on those things that you don't need SRF at all, even with hard tires. Still working on the fan car laps but Monza was a piece of cake, even without cutting the chicanes. Poor Vettel can't catch a break. Has to follow Riccairdo and me to the line! :sly::lol:
Yeah I know SRF and racing softs is a little overkill, but I'm lazy and it is just easier to slam the throttle throughout the track and get 4 quick wins and 2 million credits

I gave the Beetle some serious testing but couldn't figure out what to do to get it to not handle like a wet noodle or a sack of potatoes. I learned a lot about tuning FF from this shootout and I've been working on my own Scirocco at 470pp. I think I'll try to tame the Beetle now too at 470pp and see how fast I can get it around Brands Hatch GP:P. I'm having way too much fun with FFs now!

Yeah I know SRF and racing softs is a little overkill, but I'm lazy and it is just easier to slam the throttle throughout the track and get 4 quick wins and 2 million credits
LSD IS KEY! I pushed weight to the rear which helped it turn but it flopped around the corners. Tough one to tune. Glad you are enjoying:tup:

Thanks to all the reviewers! One of these days I'll beat Hami with a street car! :D For now it looks like I'm right in the middle where I'm supposed to be. I think I may have adapted too well to my car over the months I tuned it. Ah well, more experience. I'll poke around the other 'roccos and see if I can improve it.

Try @Motor City Hami Scirocco.

Last edited:

I have 2 words for Sebastian Vettel

TOUGH LUCK :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :D

So I was disappointed in my tune (obviously), just spent 5 mins looking at it and made a few quick changes. If anyone is interested in trying please do and let me know. Still loose but better entry and exit. Ran 3 laps and already 1:29.867:dunce:
Why couldn't I do this 2 weeks ago. Here's the changes

Height 70 / 60 (same)
Springs 9.50 / 14.00 (changed)
Comp 4 / 5 (changed)
Ext 7 / 6 (changed)
ARB 4 / 3 (rear changed)
Camber 0.0 / 0.0(same)
Toe fixed
Brakes 4 / 6(same)

LSD 8 / 21 / 5 (same)

Trans: Final 5.500, Top 112
1st 2.410 (changed)
2nd 1.786 (changed)
3rd 1.435 (changed)
4th 1.200 (changed)
5th 1.030 (same)
6th 0.905 (changed)
final 3.700 (same)

Downforce 150 / 120 (changed)
Ballast 30kg (same) @-40 (changed)
Power limit 89.2% (same)

This is for piece of mind only!!!! Not for testing in this shootout!!!!
Edit: May have turned SRF on:banghead::banghead::banghead: but still if someone could try and tell me if it's better I would appreciate it. :cheers:

Hi Bowtie. I did a few laps (14) using your updated tune...

Best Lap= 1.30.874 DC=8

Much quicker over one lap ( I also did a 1.30.928 ), but my consistency was poor.
Huge oversteer moments and over-rotation are gone. Also, rear squat leading to understeer is gone.
Instead, this car now has an on the nose feel and the more direct front-end combined with the increased rear aero allows for real fast corner entry.
Exit rotation is not great and this is what probably hurt my consistency ( quick lap time requires perfect entry ).

As an end note, I didn't notice the weighty/heavy feeling rear on this tune with uneven ride heights.
Does that suggest that the Motor City Hami and Otaliema cars were perhaps bottoming-out during squat/roll.
I did try setting my front ride height to 60 during my own set-up work and the front was washing-out under braking.
Hmm...

Hi Bowtie. I did a few laps (14) using your updated tune...

Best Lap= 1.30.874 DC=8

Much quicker over one lap ( I also did a 1.30.928 ), but my consistency was poor.
Huge oversteer moments and over-rotation are gone. Also, rear squat leading to understeer is gone.
Instead, this car now has an on the nose feel and the more direct front-end combined with the increased rear aero allows for real fast corner entry.
Exit rotation is not great and this is what probably hurt my consistency ( quick lap time requires perfect entry ).

As an end note, I didn't notice the weighty/heavy feeling rear on this tune with uneven ride heights.
Does that suggest that the Motor City Hami and Otaliema cars were perhaps bottoming-out during squat/roll.
I did try setting my front ride height to 60 during my own set-up work and the front was washing-out under braking.
Hmm...
Thanks for checking it out, just played with it a little more and changed it again. Definately better with weight forward. As for the others bottoming out? That's a good question. That updated tune was a quick fix to see if I could make it better and unfortunately I had SRF on which obviously changes everything. That's what I get for trying to get gold at the final Goodwood event:banghead::banghead::banghead: still not there. Oh well, your tune and Hami's were the class of the field in my opinion. Obviously I got yours to go REAL FAST:D Guess if I had more downforce to begin with I might have been better off. Gamble failed. Really appreciate the feedback:tup:

Last edited:
Thanks for checking it out, just played with it a little more and changed it again. Definately better with weight forward. As for the others bottoming out? That's a good question. That updated tune was a quick fix to see if I could make it better and unfortunately I had SRF on which obviously changes everything. That's what I get for trying to get gold at the final Goodwood event:banghead::banghead::banghead: still not there. Oh well, your tune and Hami's were the class of the field in my opinion. Obviously I got yours to go REAL FAST:D Guess if I had more downforce to begin with I might have been better off. Gamble failed. Really appreciate the feedback:tup:
Did you manage to get gold on the final Goodwood event? I am stuck on that too. I get frustrated after 30 mins and only making it to the end a couple of times so I move on to something else in the game. I even tried SRF on. TCS 5, ABS 1, Steering sensitivity 6 (DS3 pad user here) and I still can't get close. All this for a hundred thousand credits and a citroen.

Did you manage to get gold on the final Goodwood event? I am stuck on that too. I get frustrated after 30 mins and only making it to the end a couple of times so I move on to something else in the game. I even tried SRF on. TCS 5, ABS 1, Steering sensitivity 6 (DS3 pad user here) and I still can't get close. All this for a hundred thousand credits and a citroen.
NO, still 0.400 off, faster with SRF and TC 1, sensitivity at 2. Every once in a while I load my best replay and try for 20-30 minutes, when I'm ready to throw DS3 through the flatscreen, it's time to move on. This event and the shifter karts at GTArena are what's holding me back:banghead::banghead::banghead:.

NO, still 0.400 off, faster with SRF and TC 1, sensitivity at 2. Every once in a while a load my best replay and try for 20-30 minutes, when I'm ready to throw DS3 through the flatscreen, it's time to move on. This event and the shifter karts at GTArena are what's holding me back:banghead::banghead::banghead:.
0.400 has got to be the most annoying figure when you are in the Red Bull car. Its like one squirt of the accelerator almost. I have to refrain from throwing the controller at the TV as I don't have a spare HD television ready if i did! I did drop the controller on my fiancees laptop the other night though. that didn't go down too well as she was using the laptop at the time doing some college work. oops!

0.400 has got to be the most annoying figure when you are in the Red Bull car. Its like one squirt of the accelerator almost. I have to refrain from throwing the controller at the TV as I don't have a spare HD television ready if i did! I did drop the controller on my fiancees laptop the other night though. that didn't go down too well as she was using the laptop at the time doing some college work. oops!
Can't do the event too often, cannot improve and it infuriates me to no end....On a side note, Happy Wife = Happy Life. Words to live by even if you are not married yet. But don't worry, she will get over it in say....2-3 years:lol:

NO, still 0.400 off, faster with SRF and TC 1, sensitivity at 2. Every once in a while I load my best replay and try for 20-30 minutes, when I'm ready to throw DS3 through the flatscreen, it's time to move on. This event and the shifter karts at GTArena are what's holding me back:banghead::banghead::banghead:.
I'm hearing you loud & clear on this. I had the thrill of getting Gold in the Go-Kart only to be rewarded with the game freezing :mad: :banghead:
To say I was not impressed is a serious understatement :crazy:

I need bionic thumbs for that :lol:

On another point, I say No Wife = Happy life. No 'outlaws' to put up with at Easter either :D
Love the wife! In-laws are fine but those outlaws:mad:

Does golding the final Goodwood effect completion percent? Anyone know?

Try not to over think it. Go in one gear higher than you normally would and use partial throttle is my advice. Getting a feel for how it reacts to the course is easier that way. Sounds rudimentary but going balls to the wall and crashing out will teach you nothing. :lol:

Shifter karts is pure luck as far as I'm concerned. :grumpy:

@backnfourth @biffa3 @jules283 @JujiroMatsuda Can you please tell me if you tested @xande1959 MiTo at 115 or 116 front ride height? Rules were for only a 15 point difference and it is listed at 16. Somehow we all missed this.

@DigitalBaka @Motor City Hami suggestions on whether or not to retest or disallow the tune. I think it could be a typo but somehow it was overlooked.

I'm afraid quite sure I tuned his car as exactly as it was listed, didn't really know that there was a max difference rule, partly my fault I guess but I just took for granted tuners knew what they were doing and I trust them 100%.

Having said that, IMO there's no need to retest his tune I doubt it would produce any different result. Actually, I might go faster as I've done quite a number of laps on AR I now know the good racing line.

I know there is this bug, that if you for example set your toes like 0.05/0.05 and exit and after awhile you'd re-enter the setup I sometimes found my toes were like 0.05/0.06 and I immediately knew the culprit, the PD.:mad:

I always round my numbers to nearest 0 or 5, like many tuners do, and I rarely use other numbers so I'd notice the anomaly straight away.

It's more than likely, that xande1959 is another victim to this PD's masterful programming that's designed to perfection that annoy you enough to feel pissed off but not enough to make you leave the game.lol

I'm counting number the days till official versions of pCARS, Asetto Corsa and Occulus Rift VR goggle come out and then I'm going to give my console to my friend. But then PD just started GT Academy so I'm still in it just for the sake of that. PD is really good at that, it's like a bad husband, just when you thought you'd dump him the guy does something wonderful or finds a job so you reluctantly stay with him.lol

I'm afraid quite sure I tuned his car as exactly as it was listed, didn't really know that there was a max difference rule, partly my fault I guess but I just took for granted tuners knew what they were doing and I trust them 100%.

Having said that, IMO there's no need to retest his tune I doubt it would produce any different result. Actually, I might go faster as I've done quite a number of laps on AR I now know the good racing line.

I know there is this bug, that if you for example set your toes like 0.05/0.05 and exit and after awhile you'd re-enter the setup I sometimes found my toes were like 0.05/0.06 and I immediately knew the culprit, the PD.:mad:

I always round my numbers to nearest 0 or 5, like many tuners do, and I rarely use other numbers so I'd notice the anomaly straight away.

It's more than likely, that xande1959 is another victim to this PD's masterful programming that's designed to perfection that annoy you enough to feel pissed off but not enough to make you leave the game.lol

I'm counting number the days till official versions of pCARS, Asetto Corsa and Occulus Rift VR goggle come out and then I'm going to give my console to my friend. But then PD just started GT Academy so I'm still in it just for the sake of that. PD is really good at that, it's like a bad husband, just when you thought you'd dump him the guy does something wonderful or finds a job so you reluctantly stay with him.lol
I agree, there is no need to retest with what appears to be a PD error or typo. I understand that the tuner should make a last check when submitting their tune, I have helped a few people before with a small mistake like this, I just didn't notice it before the tuning deadline.

@backnfourth @biffa3 @jules283 @JujiroMatsuda Can you please tell me if you tested @xande1959 MiTo at 115 or 116 front ride height? Rules were for only a 15 point difference and it is listed at 16. Somehow we all missed this.

@DigitalBaka @Motor City Hami suggestions on whether or not to retest or disallow the tune. I think it could be a typo but somehow it was overlooked.

I would also have built and tested as shown in his post. Four cars left in the hot hatch group, results should be posted in the next hour or so.

Back