Folding@home GTP Team is #55702 (PS3 and PC) - Team is once again ranked #700!

• Thread starter Eric.
  • 389 comments
...So I'm running the PC program on my NES-PC which has a Core 2 Duo running at 2.9GHz and a GeForce 9300. So from what I can tell here my folds take 5-6 hours to finish. I could make that faster if I overclock the CPU and GPU(make my 9300 into a 9400 perhaps). Though I'm kinda worried about heat if I overclock.

You might have to monitor your temps and add a few more fans on your PC lol.

I do have Folding setup to come on as my PS3 screensaver so that anytime I get busy around the house without turning of the system it will get some Folding in.
How do you do that? From time to time I start up the program before I go to sleep and let it do one and shut down. Didn't know you could set it to come on with the screensaver.

Look for the Life w/ Playstation icon on your XMB and press triangle. Then you can change some options! You can set it to auto-start 10 minutes after the PS3 is idle on the XMB I think.

I haven't been in this thread for a while although I'm always keeping an eye on the rankings. I'm sitting in 4th position and I think that's taken around 3 years, maybe longer.

I have been running FAH on two computers at work for about three years, normally both are left on 24 hrs a day apart from some weekends. My home computer does some folding but only a couple of hours per week.

FAH is a great way to help, it doesn't require any effort or personal time. The more people we get the higher we can get GTP on the rankings list, we've definitely fallen back over the years.

How do you do that? From time to time I start up the program before I go to sleep and let it do one and shut down. Didn't know you could set it to come on with the screensaver.

This.
Look for the Life w/ Playstation icon on your XMB and press triangle. Then you can change some options! You can set it to auto-start 10 minutes after the PS3 is idle on the XMB I think.

And on top of that, if you are concerned with power conservation or wear and tear you can also set the PS3 to auto-shutdown after a set number of hours in the PS3 settings, that way you get a bit of both worlds.

Thanks for the new posts in this thread, yous have reminded me to install this software on my laptop and when I get the PS3 back online I'll start using it there too again.

This is a great simple way to help out humanity and I'm always trying to explain to people with PS3s what it is, but the majority I know have never even opened the program. :rolleyes:

we've definitely fallen back over the years.

Yeah I can't run the PS3 all the time during the summer, its just way too hot in here. And I haven't been running any PC clients on my own machine lately.

Has anyone tried setting F@h to start up with all the other programs when you turn your PC on? I can't figure out a way to do it unless I install a program that will allow me to mess with what programs are run during start-up (I've tried msconfig.exe on windows vista and couldn't figure out how to do it there either).

As for some folding news; Stanford just recently released a new set of beta clients - SMP-2 and GPU-3. I read about it in the Folding@home blog - http://folding.typepad.com/

Anyone going to give these new clients a go? I wonder if these new beta's will give even more points than the previous ones.

EDIT: I see someone's knocked me off the top 50 :sly:. Will have to get folding for the team again!

Last edited:
I have recently started folding on my PS3 Slim, mainly for the cool earth background, the whole "helping cure cancer" is just a bonus.

I haven't been in this thread for a while although I'm always keeping an eye on the rankings. I'm sitting in 4th position and I think that's taken around 3 years, maybe longer.

I have been running FAH on two computers at work for about three years, normally both are left on 24 hrs a day apart from some weekends. My home computer does some folding but only a couple of hours per week.

FAH is a great way to help, it doesn't require any effort or personal time. The more people we get the higher we can get GTP on the rankings list, we've definitely fallen back over the years.
I might start doing it during the days. On weekends when I am not using it and during the day when I am at school. I would do it overnight but then my PS3 would be on 24/7 which I dont like the sound of. I am not sure if people have had issues with Second Gen 80gigs but I am keeping careful.

EDIT: Downloading now.

EDIT 2: So why is it that I download the base 120 something MB and then the second it installs that it needs further 150mb in updates? Cmon, I live in Australia.

Last edited:
I just joined the team and started folding... using PC and console version, since I can't send the finished WU's on PS3... lost 3 Work Units and now I moved to PC...

Previously I was folding for no team... will my current points (890 I think) be transferred to the GTP Team?

Cheers!

I'm using the GPU3 client program(Geforce 9300 without any overclocking) and so far I am in 67th place! I only use the program whenever I boot up my NES-PC so I never run it for long time(at most 4 hours a time). Will be getting my 34th WU done in a few hours.

I'm using the GPU3 client program(Geforce 9300 without any overclocking) and so far I am in 67th place! I only use the program whenever I boot up my NES-PC so I never run it for long time(at most 4 hours a time). Will be getting my 34th WU done in a few hours.
Looking at your score you have 376 points with 33 units completed, I have one completed and have a score of 251. I am using it on PS3 and each unit takes 5 hours, I am just about to have a second one complete in about 20 minutes. That is from me leaving it on all night, I guess PS3 users are more effective and therefore get more points?

I rather not use my PS3 since it's an original 60GB and I can't risk losing it. Sure it's pretty easy to put out 300 bucks for a new PS3 now but mine cost $600. I would rather not spend extra money getting a new one since I want to play GT5.

Also you could say that PS3 users have it better with higher scores but a person with a lower score but higher amount of WU's would have a larger impact.

I rather not use my PS3 since it's an original 60GB and I can't risk losing it. Sure it's pretty easy to put out 300 bucks for a new PS3 now but mine cost $600. I would rather not spend extra money getting a new one since I want to play GT5.

Also you could say that PS3 users have it better with higher scores but a person with a lower score but higher amount of WU's would have a larger impact.
True that.

I wouldn't use an original 60 if I had one either 👍.

I didn't think about the whole, more units thing gets more done, my bad :D.

Wow everyone is soldiering on. I've got this massive 900+ point work unit for the PC and its taking forever to finish! I haven't folded on the PS3 for almost a week now because the room needs a good old clean (don't want to get too much dust in the PS3).

I just joined the team and started folding... using PC and console version, since I can't send the finished WU's on PS3... lost 3 Work Units and now I moved to PC...

Previously I was folding for no team... will my current points (890 I think) be transferred to the GTP Team?

Cheers!

Sorry dude, they won't be transferred :(. What are you running it on? PS3 or PC?

The GPU3 client seems to give you less points than the GPU2 (for more work units - unless you're sending in unfinished work units for some reason...). GPU2 work units usually are worth around 450+ points aren't they?

Guys I'm running it on both my ps3 and pc however how do I know if it is running. I have the control pannel of it running and the viewer running however the molecules don't seem to be changing.

Edit looked in the bottom corner of my screen and found out it was working.

Guys I'm running it on both my ps3 and pc however how do I know if it is running. I have the control pannel of it running and the viewer running however the molecules don't seem to be changing.
For the PS3: That's just a graphical filler thing and not any kind actual representation of what it is doing, as far as I can tell.

The way you can tell it is running is it will say how far through the current work unit (WU) it is working on in the top right corner of the screen.

I am assuming your screen looks like this:
Folding@home_540x357.png

For the PS3: That's just a graphical filler thing and not any kind actual representation of what it is doing, as far as I can tell.

The way you can tell it is running is it will say how far through the current work unit (WU) it is working on in the top right corner of the screen.

I am assuming your screen looks like this:
Folding@home_540x357.png

I knew that for the ps3 its just the pc I had trouble with but I think I have it working now.

I just received a 2000 point certificate and I am rank 66 apparently but that isnt true as I have completed 6 more work units since then.

Overnight all of us have pushed GTP from 851st to 849th position of 185 448.

Right now my client is doing a 20000 WU. Takes quite a bit of time now with only 5400 done. I should have it finished in a day or two.

I just finished my WU during the night and my score went for 376 to 1159. Now that is progress. It seems like that one big WU was about 6 WU's since my WU went from 34 to 40.

I'm really getting left behind. 52nd place now :(. But that 900 point WU is nearly complete ;).

Anyway does anyone know where I can find some pointers on cleaning the inside of a PS3 slim? I didn't realise how dusty my one's become until I cleaned my room and looked at it under light.

Always use a can of air to clean it. You can't use a vacuum because the static electricity from the motor could fry the electronics.

EDIT: I'm now on #57 with 56 WU's.

Lol, haven't run the program since almost 1.5 years ago and still on rank 23 :P
Don't run it any more because the PS3 consumes too much power and I want my laptop to run smoothly.

I finished that 900 point WU on the PC last night...and it didn't register!!! :(

Its deadline wasn't until the end of September but since they've taken down the link in Stanford's project summary page maybe they weren't going to award anymore points for it regardless if you finished it :( - http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html

EDIT: Managed to finish a few work units on the PS3 and the PC. Back in the top 50 again...

Last edited:
Did anyone get a quick update message/screen on their PS3 for LwP/F@h lately?

I'm starting to fold on the PS3 again and I got that message you get when a software update is being checked/downloaded (although it wasn't there for very long).

Wondering if there was actually an update with new features or not...

Well I've decided to do some more folding now since I've built myself a new computer months ago. It's too bad that the SMP client is not out of beta yet and the GPU3 does not support the AMD graphics cards. Anyways, I'm back on the team and doing some folding on the regular PC client.

This is after 16 minutes folding:
Completed 10000 out of 250000 steps (4%)

Got a while to go before this WU is finished.

Back