Formula 1 2021-2022 Off-Season and Mid-season break threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 767 comments
Toto's post season press conference:

13:40 for a question and response to a question about the FIA's statement that was released. He mentioned that at the time the statement was made the FIA didn't know whether they were going to withdraw the appeal.

FB_IMG_1639900170930.jpg

This season with Max was the toughest one for Schumacher yet and the fractious action on track is because there is a subconscious hangover that "Hamilton" is racing against his former teammate's son.

Last edited:
Article from July about the new regulations:

Excerpt:
To put some numbers on it, research shows that current F1 machines lose 35% of their downforce when running three car lengths behind a leading car (approximately 20 metres, measured from the lead car’s nose to the following car’s nose), while closing up to one car length (around 10 metres) results in a 47% loss.

The 2022 car, developed by Formula 1's in-house Motorsports team in collaboration with the FIA, and putting a heavy onus on the aerodynamic phenomenon known as ‘ground effect’ (more on which later…), reduces those figures to 4% at 20 metres, rising to just 18% at 10 metres.

That sounds promising, but they'll need to sort out the stewarding because in theory there will be more battles and more incidents.

Last edited:
Is it finally happening?

Cue the conspiracy theorists Internet journalists ramping on about how Mercedes is going to sell their operation to Audi and leave Formula 1 in protest, I heard it from Toto Wolff himself no really you'll see I'm right!!!!!!!!!!!

Mick shares he's Scuderia's reserve driver; looks like the Schumacher name could return back on a Ferrari next season if Sainz/Charles have to miss a race.

Edit* According to RaceFans, he'll be the reserve at 11 of the races. Apparently, he will share reserve duties with Giovinazzi for Ferrari & Alfa Romeo. Gio will also be a reserve for Haas alongside Pietro Fittipaldi.

Last edited:
Insight by an anonymous mechanic from one of the teams on why the ever expanding calendar is unsustainable.

International travel is a very stressful thing in and of itself. Having to do so after rushing to pack up the mountain of expensive equipment that a Formula 1 team needs for each race (which only get larger every year as the IT side of things continues to become more prominent), and then immediately start working to unpack and set it all up again the moment you get off the plane, and doing that multiple weeks in a row without any form of break or home time has to be immensely soul crushing at times.

I'm not expecting mass walkouts, but it won't surprise me to see more key people exiting the sport in the next couple years as the pressure outweighs the benefits of being involved, and they'll likely take a few of their best workers with them when they go. Eventually that's going to have a cumulative effect that will be noticed on the track.

International travel is a very stressful thing in and of itself.
I've worked with several developer advocates in my previous company: folks who travel across timezones almost continuously. Very hard to relate to if you've never done it, but by crossing timezones and going back and forth in them they completely lose track of time and their biorythm gets upset; it's almost like they live in a timezone of their own. Often with health issues as a result. It's really nasty.

What is the point of NFTs?
Short answer? None.
Long answer? An attempt to create artificial ownership of an item that supposedly is certified with your ownership. The problem is all you own is the link to the digital item. If the actual holding site goes down, you own nothing. Also, people can still use the digital item. (Extremely condensed and likely misses a few things but this is not the place for NFT discussion I'd gather).

No Checo feels quite surprising, esp. behind Mick.

Edit* Official site shows Checo didn't participate in the voting, so that explains it maybe?

Last edited:
No Checo feels quite surprising, esp. behind Mick.

Edit* Official site shows Checo didn't participate in the voting, so that explains it maybe?
Hamilton and Verstappen didn't participate either. I think it just means they didn't vote. Perez wasn't that impressive this year, though he did seem to get better and more comfortable as the season went on but my memory may be short on that.

Here's a piece of artwork I found on Reddit for this season, replicating the famous Porsche at Le Mans poster, but as an ad for Red Bull's fastest pitstops of 2021.
Screenshot_20220105-091713.png

Mercedes F1's FB page today shared a post titled, "An incredible 103 F1 wins and counting for Lewis Hamilton. But which one is your all-time favourite...".

I haven't seen any recent news on Lewis regarding the rumors of, "Is he retiring?", but perhaps 'and counting' is a subtle sign Mercedes knows he's returning.

Back