Formula 1 2021-2022 Off-Season and Mid-season break threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 767 comments
giggling lol GIF by Crossroads of History

He's heard all the jokes before...

Although I did have to check this wasn't the Motorsport Memes thread before carrying on :lol:

The revolving door at Alpine is why the team will never live up to it’s former glory. What is it about this team that makes the big names walk away?

Also, lol

1642175572041.png

Last edited:
McLaren CEO Zak Brown has suggested the team will not be in a position to contend for F1 titles until 2024.

The Woking-based outfit has vastly improved in recent seasons under the watchful eye of American Brown and team principal Andreas Seidl after struggling in the middle of the last decade.

Zak... why you do this to me?
Sad Season 9 GIF by The Office

I worry about the future of McLaren, they have become my favourite team since Zak took the helm.

Last edited:
I can't link the thread because the title has language, but a user on Reddit shared what his compensation was for the Spa fiasco.

I believe @Dennisch attended the race. Have you received anything of the sort?
I was there on Saturday only. We did get the action and a lot of rain, so I get nothing.

I’m seeing reports that Merc would make a move for Gasly if Lewis retires. Can’t say I could think of a better option. He has way outdriven that car the past couple of years.

I feel bad for Gasly cause it seems like he’s stuck at AT. Even if he gets promoted to up to Red Bull (again) he’s going to get the #2 driver treatment. It doesn’t seem like he has much of a Future with Red Bull.

If Lewis goes, Gasly and Ocon seem like the two options Mercedes would pursue. Ocon because he was at Merc in 2019 and is a known quantity there. Gasly because of the reasons above.

Both are race winners in midfield cars, so they have already got that monkey off their back which will help with removing an extra layer of pressure for a late promotion to a top team.

Ladies and gentlemen,

Pastor Maldonado on an alternate reality:
I get a massive feeling of doubt. Maybe his manager emailed Ferrari and they organised a meeting that never happened for a GT 3 drive or something.

I worry about the future of McLaren, they have become my favourite team since Zak took the helm.
I wish the days of Ferrari vs Mclaren can comeback.

I hope Ferrari and Mclaren can bring the old days where both fought to the top.

Really miss those days.

Last edited:
I don't know, Interlagos Sprint was pretty amazing, Silverstone was good.
Agreed, and Monza contributed to a McLaren 1-2. Also, with the new cars there was potential for them to be more exciting. I always looked at the 2021 sprints as a test of format rather than racing.

I’m seeing reports that Merc would make a move for Gasly if Lewis retires. Can’t say I could think of a better option. He has way outdriven that car the past couple of years.

I feel bad for Gasly cause it seems like he’s stuck at AT. Even if he gets promoted to up to Red Bull (again) he’s going to get the #2 driver treatment. It doesn’t seem like he has much of a Future with Red Bull.
This is, I think the biggest issue with F1 in general. Very few seats that are genuinely worth a damn, short of "Well I got to drive F1 for a while". Look at someone like Danny Ricciardo. Nice guy, suitably quick, maybe could have been a contender. But he's now been out of a top-tier car for so long and has more or less aged out. I mean, would any team pick him as a key driver in a world championship winning car? Not likely.

There is a small glimmer of hope when engines and cars change, that you could end up with another Jenson Button one-off WDC. But for most of these drivers the ceiling is already there, despite being an F1 driver. With drivers like Lewis and Max more or less ruling their team for 7-10 years at a time, and only 2-3 teams being genuinely competitive, plenty of F1 drivers do an entire 10-15 year career without so much as a podium.

Look at guys like Hulkenberg. I'm not saying he had the talent to be WDC but...just an entire career of accomplishing nothing of note in the sport, etc.

As you said - where would Gasly go if not a random surprise move like replacing Hamilton, etc. I hope new cars move toward changing this, but it sucks knowing that if you don't start as a phenom with some luck in the right team, your F1 future is already limited.

Last edited:
Considering the number of top seats vs total seats on the grid, there has always been a three stooges syndrome with regards to great drivers never getting the drive they might have earnt or that one chance at realistically going for the championship. Every passing F1 generation has its drivers whom you might feel are talented but never got the chance because of the elite drivers occupying the top spots.

A front-running driver with race-winning experience is the literal definition of "best of the rest" but that phrase itself carries negative connotations.

80s: Alboreto, de Angelis, Pironi, Warwick (didn't win any races but undoubtedly a great driver at his peak)
90s: Alesi, Berger, Coulthard; Häkkinen looked this way for a long time until McLaren got it right in 1998
00s: Barrichello, Montoya, maybe Ralf Schumacher
10s: Perez, Leclerc, Ricciardo

That's not to say that each of these groups are (or were) as equally strong as each other in terms of skill and potential. And of course there are other factors as to why some drivers never made it like career choices (Alesi and Warwick not going to Williams) or politics (Warwick's move to Lotus when they were still sort of competitive was vetoed by Senna; Barrichello's obvious number two status). The 1980s was peculiar in particular because between Prost, Piquet, Senna and Mansell, it was arguably the most competitive era ever at the elite level so you might not look at their best of the rest as the most potentially talented because all of the exceptional talent actually did make it.

Simple fact is that there can only ever be one winner. Somebody's going to miss out no matter how much potential they might have. Drivers like Leclerc and Sainz still have time and I'm sure Russell will join them in terms of reputation and calibre.

Last edited:
Sure, but I don't accept "it's always been that way" as an excuse for a weakness in the sport. Sure, there will only be one winner, but when we generally know each season is between 2-3 drivers, that's pretty slim pickings. It's one of the reasons I'm not particularly fond of F1 with the "eras" which are dominated so heavily by one driver or team or manufacturer, etc.

It could be better, but as it is, a lot of talented drivers with nothing to aim for (except stumbling upon an accidental dream).

Last edited:
Short of making F1 a spec series like Indy, what can you do though? It's just the nature of the sport sadly. BOP? I'm sure a lot of purist will be against that also.

I don't see how it's different to any other "open" sport. Yes F1 has a rulebook but I mean it the same way that any sport can be dominated by someone head and shoulders above the rest, whether it be a humans natural ability (e.g. Usain Bolt) or because one team has built the best machine, or created the best team with the best manager.

The history of sport is dominated by, well, domination. How many sporting series can you NOT regularly predict the winner from one of a few? There are obviously outliers but they're rare.

Back