Formula 1 2021-2022 Off-Season and Mid-season break threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 767 comments
770 drivers, 111 race winners and 34 Champions. So statistically speaking you have a 15% chance of being a race winner and a 5% chance of being Champion.

It seemed like in the 70's anybody who could afford a Cosworth engine and a Hewland transaxle had a fair chance of being competitive.
Partial myth? A Cosworth and a Hewland gave anybody a fair chance at being on the grid but not automatically competitive.

The British GP of '74 was interesting. 25 cars started and another 10 failed to qualify. Two seconds covered the first 19, and one second covered first nine.

Imagine thinking that a 5-30s flyover ban will make a marginal difference in the aviation sector.
I would imagine the jumbo jet flyovers have more of an impact, but I don't know anything about the sustainable fuel they want them to use.

The flyovers are just cliche at this point, I don’t care if they go away.
It's also something that I don't get why it's a big deal. Flyovers, at least as I understand it, are generally seen as a way for pilots to log hours with a particular plane so that they remain qualified to fly it. If the flyovers aren't happening at races, they're still gonna happen somewhere else, so the environmental aspect seems kinda moot.

Last edited:
It's also something that I don't get why it's a big deal. Flyovers, at least as I understand it, are generally seen as a way for pilots to log hours with a particular plane so that they remain qualified to fly it. If the flyovers aren't happening at races, they're still gonna happen somewhere else, so the environmental aspect seems kinda moot.
Eh I wouldn’t call it hour logging flights. There’s a lot of training and preparation that goes into these flights even for how simple and short they are. There’s an aerobatic team at my local field and even though they’re just mostly retired airline pilots flying their experimental planes.

But stopping the 30 seconds of flyovers isn’t going to put a dent in the hours of airtime for training.

So the first test, in Barcelona, will not have any live coverage or fans as Formula 1 wants to treat it as a shakedown rather than full blown test. Journalists will be there to post whatever they want though, so autosport live text will have to be how you keep up.

The second test, in Bahrain, will however be broadcast in full with TV coverage and everything, once the teams have had the first test to iron out any troubles from the first running.

So the first test, in Barcelona, will not have any live coverage or fans as Formula 1 wants to treat it as a shakedown rather than full blown test.
Or rather they don't want to admit that while Bahrain is paying to be the exclusive pre-season testing venue, the teams need two weeks of testing. So they just called the first week "not testing" because it isn't in Bahrain and banned fans from attending the first week of testing.

Literally nobody is going to treat it as a shakedown, which is why some teams have planned a real shakedown ahead of the "shakedown".

Or rather they don't want to admit that while Bahrain is paying to be the exclusive pre-season testing venue, the teams need two weeks of testing. So they just called the first week "not testing" because it isn't in Bahrain and banned fans from attending the first week of testing.

Literally nobody is going to treat it as a shakedown, which is why some teams have planned a real shakedown ahead of the "shakedown".
Exactly, they're not fooling any big fans with the change to calling it a "shakedown session". Shakedowns are short 100km events solely to check the car works at all and do a bit of filming for promos. They're done alone, with no other teams there.

Three full days driving on a circuit with all teams present is a test, no matter what they want to claim.

This Donkey Dong waving contest about being the 'first' or 'official' test venue is absolute cringe. I just can't understand that level of patheticness or that desperate need for affirmation.

This Donkey Dong waving contest about being the 'first' or 'official' test venue is absolute cringe. I just can't understand that level of patheticness or that desperate need for affirmation.
It seems to be a common trait for Middle Eastern countries. Look at Saudi Arabia with it's "MOST CORNERS!" "FASTEST STREET CIRCUIT!" nonsense. As @NICKname says clearly Bahrain has paid handsomely to be the first place to officially see the 2022 cars in action, both with the test and being the first race of the season.

Tiny news story with massive implications for F1 (and in particular its fans). IQONIQ has gone under.

I... stupidlynamedcompany was the "Official Fan Engagement Partner" of a bunch of F1 and FE teams - McLaren, Alfa Romeo, DS Techeetah, Mahindra, Dragon Penske - and basically sold IQQ "tokens" to fans which granted VIP access, advanced/discounted ticket sales, "experiences" and the like. Apparently it forgot to pay several of its partners (including La Liga side Real Sociedad, to the tune of £700,000) and is now in liquidation.

Which should be fun, as it doesn't appear to actually have any assets. IQQ tokens were of course a cryptocurrency, and the tokens are right now worth about a tenth of a penny each.

So fans are out whatever they paid for the tokens and have no experiences to show for it. Likely it will harm the teams expecting payments too.

Tiny news story with massive implications for F1 (and in particular its fans). IQONIQ has gone under.

I... stupidlynamedcompany was the "Official Fan Engagement Partner" of a bunch of F1 and FE teams - McLaren, Alfa Romeo, DS Techeetah, Mahindra, Dragon Penske - and basically sold IQQ "tokens" to fans which granted VIP access, advanced/discounted ticket sales, "experiences" and the like. Apparently it forgot to pay several of its partners (including La Liga side Real Sociedad, to the tune of £700,000) and is now in liquidation.

Which should be fun, as it doesn't appear to actually have any assets. IQQ tokens were of course a cryptocurrency, and the tokens are right now worth about a tenth of a penny each.

So fans are out whatever they paid for the tokens and have no experiences to show for it. Likely it will harm the teams expecting payments too.
I'm willing to bet they didn't forget so much as the person at the top cashed out the value of all the tokens into Bitcoin or Ethereum and then bolted, leaving the worthless shell of a company behind. We'll probably be seeing this happen more often as the year goes on as more and more people pile into the bottom of the crypto pyramid thinking it won't happen to them, no sir.

So from what I gather from this article, Masi's position may end up being divided between multiple people, they're apparently considering doing some form of green-white-checker finishes, and team bosses are no longer allowed to directly communicate with the race director (but team managers can, out of necessity).

Expanded grandstand map of Alber Park
GP22_002_Web_Tiles_Website_GA_Graphical_Map_1080x1800_NEW-GRANDSTANDS-1200x799.jpg

T3 is still the best for action. The Piquet stand in front of the gravel trap, sees passing, crashes and easy access from the train. Sun isn't in your eyes and the spectators were cool.

Last edited:
So from what I gather from this article, Masi's position may end up being divided between multiple people, they're apparently considering doing some form of green-white-checker finishes, and team bosses are no longer allowed to directly communicate with the race director (but team managers can, out of necessity).
Ah yes. GWC finishes in a series you can't refuel. Unless they mean they will be more liberal in using red flags late in the race?

I'd go Lauda and Alonso - a driver who can build and set the car up magnificently, and the other who can drive anything and get the best out of it. May not win everything but will win the Constructor's championship at the very least.

Latest Posts

Back