Formula 1 2021-2022 Off-Season and Mid-season break threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 767 comments
I see someone's been taking notes from 50 Cent :lol:

IIRC, didn't Horner also donate a large amount to a McLaren charity event so that he could get a private tour with Zak Brown?

Very interesting article on Autosport's website today about the simulation work which went into designing the new rules. Really nerdy bit was about the sheer amount of computational power needed:
Smedley explains: "The key technological barrier was that we needed to have a CFD simulation with two cars.

"A CFD simulation with one car, if you run that under the team's aerodynamic test restrictions, then that half car with something like 200 cores is around about five hours.

"And just to geek out for a minute: that's about 100 million cells within that simulation. When you go to a full car, you get up to about 200-250 million cells. So using the 192 cores of the team's simulation, that then puts that full car up to 14 hours.

"If we wanted to use that same technology and computational power within the teams, then a two-car simulation with double the number of cells gets you to 550-600 million cells - and that would be four days.

"So when we first set off on this journey, it was four days to do a single iteration. It's just something that's prohibitive. It's a barrier to the research and development needed."

F1 knew it needed to find another solution, which is why the AWS offering proved such a benefit in drastically cutting down the time it took to do runs.

"I think the first iteration was spinning up in their [AWS] EC2 service, at 1000/1100 cores, and version two, we're up to about 2500 cores," continued Smedley.

"It got that design iteration down from four days to around about six to eight hours."

Very interesting article on Autosport's website today about the simulation work which went into designing the new rules. Really nerdy bit was about the sheer amount of computational power needed:

Yeh Interesting stuff.. are you confident that AWS can provide to the teams more processing power than the teams can purchase or build?

For a long time I was following the regulations re combined wind-tunnel and CFD and for quite a few year they were reducing the maximum total CFD calculations to less as seasons went on.. which is pretty illogical as compute power increases / get cheaper...

It was getting so low that I think even the poorest teams would have been doing more CFD and just reporting a made up number for the audits. It looked like a massive loophole and I don't know why we never heard anyone complain about it, but I guess there was very limited way the rules could be improved.

I just had a look an sporting regulations Appendix 8 section 4 seems to have this part added now :
"g. The limits for RCFDs will be revised periodically, to take account of advances in CFD simulations."

I just hope any team other than Merc or RBR absolutely nails the new regulations and smashes the year.

'Action over gestures'. Great! Looking forward to this year's calendar being reduced to three races.

I seen on reddit that Oracle will be a title sponsor for 5 years at 100 mil per year. 😳

Last edited:
I seen on reddit that Oracle will be a title sponsor for 5 years at 100 mil per year. 😳
Maybe they had some money to burn after JPMorgan spent $300m for the naming rights for the GS Warriors' new arena after a decade the Oracle. :P

Yeh Interesting stuff.. are you confident that AWS can provide to the teams more processing power than the teams can purchase or build?
I believe that in addition the number of hours and number of runs allowed, there's also a maximum computational power limit.

I believe that in addition the number of hours and number of runs allowed, there's also a maximum computational power limit.
Yeh, the restriction I think it still a combination of windtunned time and total computation calculation. They can use all wind tunnel, or a maximum computation (computer power * time)...

I've always been surprised it's never been raised, I checked sporting regs and they seemed comprehensible in plain english total FLOPs * time... for a few seasons of the turbo era when they introduced it, they kept reducing the total computer time and it seemed to be relative to the compute power available to a F1 team super computer in 2009.

So issues with the rule are:
1. considering computing advances the limits were ridiculously low.
2. the policing is reliant on the team declaring to the fia how much compute they did.

The updated rules are far harder to read, and seem to take computing advance into account - but I believe point 2 still stands...

even if there was an audit process I think the teams could make up log files for the right number of calculation runs to fit the rules, and there is no way an FIA audit person would get full access to the IT system logs etc?

Also The integrity of the sport is dumped on every time the stewards say some corner the track limits are not enforce, or broadcaster show a safety driving on the kerb saying the limit is the outside of the kerb.

The rules are specific the edge of the track is the white lines.

I guess we should not be surprised by make-it-up-at-the-time safety car procedure when every weekend the sport is fine with very selective application of rules.

27.3 Drivers must make every reasonable effort to use the track at all times and may not deliberately
leave the track without a justifiable reason.
Drivers will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with it and,
for the avoidance of doubt, any white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of
the track but the kerbs are not.
Should a car leave the track the driver may re-join, however, this may only be done when it is
safe to do so and without gaining any lasting advantage. At the absolute discretion of the Race
Director a driver may be given the opportunity to give back the whole of any advantage he
gained by leaving the track.

To me, Aston Martin is starting to look like a shady international villian organization from a fictional movie. Aramco Cognizant kind of sounds like one too.

To me, Aston Martin is starting to look like a shady international villian organization from a fictional movie. Aramco Cognizant kind of sounds like one too.
Aramco Cognizant is definitely an amoral mega corp from our cyberpunk future.

It wouldn't be the Jordan factory without dodgy mismanagement.

Ironic that they keep supplying the "goodies" in the Bond films then :P

Perennially irritating and compulsive liar William Storey of Rich Energy (are they still a thing), apparently had dinner with F1 engineers who all agree Verstappen should be stripped of his title.

Obviously complete rubbish, when will this man be stopped and why do the media still pay him any attention?

Perennially irritating and compulsive liar William Storey of Rich Energy (are they still a thing), apparently had dinner with F1 engineers who all agree Verstappen should be stripped of his title.

Obviously complete rubbish, when will this man be stopped and why do the media still pay him any attention?
Clickbait...whatever it takes to get the views

You can't strip Verstappen of the title, he did nothing wrong in the situation. It's Red Bull, Mercedes and Masi who were in the wrong and they need to be the ones punished in the situation.

That dummy must be desperate for headlines; thought I read late last year he was trying to attach his name to one of the teams again.

It's Red Bull, Mercedes and Masi who were in the wrong and they need to be the ones punished in the situation.
I don't even know that I would say Red Bull and Mercedes are in the wrong. Their job is to give their respective teams every advantage they can within the rules and as annoying as it is lobbying for race control to call things their way is fair game under the current rules. The entire race control structure is what's broken, the race director should have 1-way communications and there needs to be permanent stewards so we can have more consistent rulings.

Radio messages to the race director add to the entertainment but they shouldn't affect the race director's decisions...

It's just the integrity of the sport that is the issue... Masi might be the scapegoat, and I think he is getting way too much Hate. I think the order was phoned in but he will keeps his job or a big $ confidentiality clause so we will never know.

Hulkenberg has an interesting article, honest and obvious : It's all about the entertainment.

Should we just not care too much about the sporting integrity and just be entertained?

the-office-no.gif

For Williams? Most reports are saying there's a new colour for them in the new livery. I can't see anyone else left it would be suitable for - Alfa Romeo definitely not, Alpine has BWT, Merc won't align themselves with Rich Energy; Aston, Red Bull, Alpha Tauri, Haas, Ferrari and McLaren all have their livery and sponsorship tied up.

Back