Formula 1 2021-2022 Off-Season and Mid-season break threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 767 comments
Let's have some fun and a debate.
Every single one of these drivers can win a championship, if they have a good enough car, unless they're up against someone who's better than them that year. Which is why they're all champions, ofcourse. But some of the drivers in the lower tiers have directly beaten drivers in higher tiers (e.g. Verstappen beat Hamilton last year). And you don't need two champions to win a championship (i.e. Mercedes only needed Hamilton and Bottas, Red Bull only needed Verstappen and Perez).

I'd just take Verstappen and Raikkonen, pray for a competitive car, and spend the remaining $60 million on booze for the two gentlemen.

I’d like that Mika and Alonso for big $$$, Alex. Both fearless drivers that can lead a race and that other drivers don’t want in their mirrors.

Hamilton and Verstappen as a pairing would be Senna-Prost levels of dominance and internal fighting I think.

Schumacher and Mansell would be a funky pairing.

Senna and Alonso seems like a potent pairing of raw talent, Piquet and Clark could be a pairing that will quietly dominate.

Clark and Lauda - would be just too fast for the competition in combination with tenacity and consistency that would have the car setup right and could be a great team...

but I think I would go :

Fangio & Kimi - The maestro was crushing in at 46yrs old in scary 1950s machinery, if you have this time machine to put his car control in to a modern, safe and reliable car and he is probably going to take in 10-15 titles in the modern era, Kimi was less experienced than Max and almost won the WDC in this 3rd season, has mega speed and staying power so this pair would dominate for years.

Something from Reddit which really shows just how crazily long Kimi Raikkonen's career was:

Taking other drivers from F1 history and going "if they stayed in F1 past their final race for the 20 seasons Kimi did, what would have been their final race". Some of these are so surreal.

The correct answer is Prost and Clark but that's too expensive.

Clark and Stewart or Clark and Alonso would be nifty.

Something from Reddit which really shows just how crazily long Kimi Raikkonen's career was:

Taking other drivers from F1 history and going "if they stayed in F1 past their final race for the 20 seasons Kimi did, what would have been their final race". Some of these are so surreal.

Interesting. Some of these suprise me not for how long their career would've been, but how much earlier their F1 careers would've finished compared to their actual, competitive, top-flight careers; Mario Andretti and Emerson Fittipaldi were still winning in Indycar a number of years after their "last" F1 race, for example.

Then there's a few that don't need photoshopping:

800px-Michael_Schumacher_2011_Malaysia_FP1_2.jpg

2021-monaco-gp-fernando-alonso-alpine-1024%C3%97768.jpg

Fernando Alonso being in Formula One 21 years after his debut is equivalent in longevity to Alain Prost and Nigel Mansell still racing in 2001 when Alonso debuted.

Having fewer races person season does stretch some results a bit. If Farina had done as many races as Raikkonen he wouldn't have retired until three races into 1982, aged 75.

Having fewer races person season does stretch some results a bit. If Farina had done as many races as Raikkonen he wouldn't have retired until three races into 1982, aged 75.
I think that's why the post above uses "seasons" rather than races.

I think it's quite fitting that Gilles's last race would have been the one where his son won the title.

The '22 Ferrari will be called F1-75, because Ferrari having a naming convention that makes sense for more than 3 years would be too hard.

The '22 Ferrari will be called F1-75, because Ferrari having a naming convention that makes sense for more than 3 years would be too hard.
Never one for consistency, they had a reasonable spell from 2000 (F-2000) until 2005 (F2005) but then went 'quirky' with 2006's 248 F1. (Two point four litres, eight cylinders, get it???) Been a mess ever since. Noöne cares about your milestones, your cars have horrendous names.

Got to throw in a curveball to make sure you are paying attention.

View attachment 1109824
I always find these exercises to be somewhat futile because in most cases, the assumption is the use of modern equipment. Therefore, advantage to the more modern drivers. Not to say that the drivers of the past couldn't adapt but there's no guarantee.

That said, I will go with an interesting answer and say Kimi and Mika for one reason. Out of all these drivers, that's the pairing I believe will last the longest before ultimately self-destructing.

Last edited:
I always find these exercises to be somewhat futile because in most cases, the assumption is the use of modern equipment. Therefore, advantage to the more modern drivers. Not to say that the drivers of the past couldn't adapt but there's no guarantee.
I think it also depends on when in a driver's career you're comparing in any particular era. For example, if you took the Ayrton Senna of, say, 1991, sent him 30 years into the future and put him in an RB16B, he would probably get up to Perez speed eventually, and prehaps match Max with enough time. But if you took 8 year old Senna and had him rise through the junior formulae to get to contemporary F1 at age 20, it's more likely he'd be on Max's pace straight away.

Similarly, if you sent 2021 Verstappen back 50 years and made him Stewart's teammate, he'd struggle. But if 12 year old Max went back in time so that he reached 1970s F1 in his early-mid 20s, he'd be right on Stewart's pace.

But ultimatly, futile is the word!

If you provide safety car for 20 years you can get on fia team for about 7 years,

If you bring in a new young prodigy driver that somehow adds many many thousands of new fans, you get the front seat in the bus.

not sure for how long, if Verstappen fulfills all the prophecies of greatness they will probably have similar caveats to all the 'lewis had the best car' whinging, which does have some merit...

One of the big problems with F1 is the polemics that seems unstoppable and somehow perpetuated by almost everyone involved, main media, pundits, punters they almost all buy in to arguing.

Roo
I think it also depends on when in a driver's career you're comparing in any particular era. For example, if you took the Ayrton Senna of, say, 1991, sent him 30 years into the future and put him in an RB16B, he would probably get up to Perez speed eventually, and prehaps match Max with enough time. But if you took 8 year old Senna and had him rise through the junior formulae to get to contemporary F1 at age 20, it's more likely he'd be on Max's pace straight away.

Similarly, if you sent 2021 Verstappen back 50 years and made him Stewart's teammate, he'd struggle. But if 12 year old Max went back in time so that he reached 1970s F1 in his early-mid 20s, he'd be right on Stewart's pace.

But ultimatly, futile is the word!
yeh, Max was almost the youngest pole sitter ever...

However just a few races off getting that achievement, when he did get his first pole he was among the most experienced drivers of all time to get their first pole (maybe 5 drivers have their first pole with more races)...

Any of the old legends dropped in against some consistent domination of the mercedes team might have ended up with similarly blunted their statistics / achievements?

Would the old drivers cope with the sustained intensity of pressure in modern cars?

The new drivers would fail many times to keep the cars on the road with the old cars, they can't keep the current cars on the track and the old days drivers could get stuck in gravel traps - who knows how many times the modern greats would end up watching from the side of the track.

The new drivers would fail many times to keep the cars on the road with the old cars, they can't keep the current cars on the track and the old days drivers could get stuck in gravel traps
It's not necessarily that they can't keep the cars on the track, it's more that they don't have to because the deterrent of gravel traps aren't there any more. Look at Austria - turns 4-6 resulted in far fewer excursions off the road than 1,3 and 7 because of the traps. It's gotten far too easy now to break the confines of the circuit and we need to go back to a simple law - minimum of 2 wheels within the white lines at all times; 3 warning notices, 4th time 5s stop-go penalty, 5th time black flag.

A penalty should be scaled due to the severity of the time lost by the driver(s) they wronged. Push a driver off so they run a bit wide and stay behind you? 5 seconds. Tap them into a spin on lap 1 so they drop to the back? Drive through. Hit them at a fast corner and see them retire from the race while you carry on? 10-second stop/go. A collision or driving infraction should take the timed result of the collision into account just as much. Any penalty for an incident where the wronged driver loses less than 30 seconds can easily make sure the one in the wrong is forced to drop behind them after a penalty is applied.

Say hello to the Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One™ Team.

Rolls right off the tongue, I tell ya'. The claim is that the partnership aims to help Aston Martin meet F1s target of being powered by sustainable fuels by 2025, while also developing more fuel-efficient engine technology for road cars, and better hybrid technologies for motorsport. It's likely all marketing talk, but perhaps this means Aston will have their own engines down the line, or have Aramco-branded PUs in some capacity?

Last edited:
A penalty should be scaled due to the severity of the time lost by the driver(s) they wronged. Push a driver off so they run a bit wide and stay behind you? 5 seconds. Tap them into a spin on lap 1 so they drop to the back? Drive through. Hit them at a fast corner and see them retire from the race while you carry on? 10-second stop/go. A collision or driving infraction should take the timed result of the collision into account just as much. Any penalty for an incident where the wronged driver loses less than 30 seconds can easily make sure the one in the wrong is forced to drop behind them after a penalty is applied.
This is understandable in theory but I doubt it would work in practice because all sorts of inconsistencies will pop up.

Say hello to the Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One™ Team.

Rolls right off the tongue, I tell ya'. The claim is that the partnership aims to help Aston Martin meet F1s target of being powered by sustainable fuels by 2025, while also developing more fuel-efficient engine technology for road cars, and better hybrid technologies for motorsport. It's likely all marketing talk, but perhaps this means Aston will have their own engines down the line, or have Aramco-branded PUs in some capacity?
Not likely. It's just like the deal between Mercedes and Petronas.

What it could signal is a brighter green livery, or at least brighter elements with some blue sprinkled in.

Last edited:

View attachment 1109824
Since my knowledge only goes to the early 2000s (2004 being when I actually got into F1 thanks to Speed Channel), that realistically leaves me only 8 drivers I even remotely have ANY idea of. Right off though, Hamilton and Button would be my choice purely both being fast and smooth (Jenson arguably abit smoother but I feel Hamilton over the years has gotten abit closer to that WHILE also extracting the insane pace he's shown).

Last edited:
Mercedes has decided to hold a factory tour and put it up for auction at a charity event.

The winning bidder is.... Oh sorry now there's no more tour.

Latest Posts

Back