Formula 1 Qatar Airways Austrian Grand Prix 2024Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 165 comments
Well done to the Haas boys, especially Hulk. He’s just missed the points a lot recently so well driven today.

Dirty Max reappears as soon as he gets a proper challenger.

Frustrating race. Damn damn damn.

Glad Mercedes and George got their win.

Congrats to Oscar on his P2, and Sainz on his P3.

Good to see Ricciardo get some points.

Nice points for Haas.

That... that's about all the positivity I can muster.

a54.gif

Last edited:
If Max had just run this line, what would the odds have been that Lando got himself a 5 second penalty?

This started out pretty boring but with a rather interesting finish. Congrats George for picking up the pieces. Drove well all weekend and considering what happened at the front, he truly deserved that.

Max driving like he was back in 2021 when push come to shove and leaving no quarters.

Hass seriously capitalized on this one. Good job to them too.

Last edited:
He was given a 5 second penalty for track limits right after the contact.
Hence my point that Max ruined his own race to punt Norris wide(r). Unless the DRS on the Red Bull was broken, he would have still been behind him for 1 to 2 laps to challenge.

Let's not forget that Max pushed Charles off in that same corner in 2019 and the stewards' decisions that day effectively opened the floodgates to new levels of aggressive driving. In some ways, it came full circle today with Max being on the receiving end of that type of driving and it cost him a potential victory.

I haven't seen the Crashstappen name in a while but it's coming back with vogue.

I don't deny Lando could've made some of that cleaner what with track limits and all but having watched the footage again that's all on Max. Was kind of hoping he'd learnt not to do this stuff again but.. Disappointed I'll be honest.

So Max is back to close racing and so back crashing into his opponents even if they are trying to avoid it. Nice. But he is so matured :boggled:
Seems so, funny to see people saying we haven't seen that side of Max for a while, like, yeah, he's been in a rocket ship with no one near him. As you say, gets a challenge and reminds us he's still incapable of fair racing. Also, this mindset of win at all costs or lose everything is clearly manifested from the team, no one is trying to reign in his tendency to lose the plot, Horner on the radio saying he wasn't in the wrong, GP telling him Lando was complaining and in the wrong regarding moving under braking etc, he won't change his ways if everyone around him is saying it's fair.

Maybe those 2 falling out and a proper rivalry sparking will kick this season into some action. Lord knows it needs it.

Happy for George, he knows it's a win he's inherited rather than gone and won but you have to be in the position to take advantage and he was. Piastri can consider himself unlucky, without the qualifying lap deletion or the turn 1 contact even, he would have won today.

I want to say Silverstone just got spicy but I think it's a track that should comprehensively suit Red Bull, all we can hope for is Mclaren have enough pace to make it interesting.

Guess that's another friendship down the drain over F1.

Listening to Horner telling Max he didn't do anything wrong just reminds me so much of 2021 and many of times where Max pushes people off track and gets away with it driving the way he does. As Martin Brundle said over the commentary after Horner's comment, when you keep condoning this kind of driving behavior, nothing will ever change.

Hence my point that Max ruined his own race to punt Norris wide(r). Unless the DRS on the Red Bull was broken, he would have still been behind him for 1 to 2 laps to challenge.
I keep thinging, if officials wouln't have taken that long to give Lando his penalty, this incident would not have happen.

"I mean there’s rules for what you’re not allowed to do and allowed to do. He was doing things you’re not allowed to do and not getting penalised," explained Norris.

"So look, I expected a tough battle against Max, I know what to expect. I expect aggression and pushing the limits and that kind of thing, but all three times he’s doing stuff which can easily cause an incident. And in a way a bit reckless. It seemed a bit desperate from his side.

"Doesn’t need to be, he’s got plenty of wins. But a bit desperate to do what he could to not let me past and I know he’s going to be aggressive, so I’m in a way not surprised. But I just expected a tough, fair, respectful, on the edge bit of racing. And I don’t feel like that’s what I got in return."

-------------------------------------------------------------

"For me it was not moving under braking because every time I moved I was not braking already," said Verstappen.

"Of course from the outside it always looks like that. But I think I know fairly well what to do in these scenarios. Also a few of those were really late divebombs, so it was a bit of a sending it up the inside and just hope the other guy steers out of it, which is not always how you race.

"But it’s just the corner here lends to that as well. I’ve been in the other position as well when you go for it and it’s just the shape of the corner.

"I think the move that we got together was something that I didn’t expect because I saw him coming of course I had the front a little bit the inside and then under braking we touched the rear tyres and we both get a puncture from it, which is of course something you don’t want to happen."

via https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/live-f1-2024-austrian-grand-prix/

So Max had to run half a lap with a flat tire, took an extra pitstop, got a 10 second penalty and still finished ahead of Perez...
He probably could have stopped and had an ice cream for 2 minutes and Perez would have magically frozen for that period of time.

Back