Formula 1 Qatar Airways Austrian Grand Prix 2024Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 165 comments
Checo showed the damage he had today.
5opw0aqnxq9d1.jpeg

Listening to Horner telling Max he didn't do anything wrong just reminds me so much of 2021 and many of times where Max pushes people off track and gets away with it driving the way he does. As Martin Brundle said over the commentary after Horner's comment, when you keep condoning this kind of driving behavior, nothing will ever change.
Just like with Stroll when he rammed Daniel.
Keep the golden child happy.

That's what WE think is his assignment. It's actually to be not challenging Max remotely.
Well getting points for 1st in the WCC for the team is important to the team because MONEY.

Last edited:
I love Formula 1, have been watching it since I was kid. What I wonder these days is consistency in penalties, example from Austria. Hulkenberg and Alonso, Hulkenberg dive brakes in turn, slow down Alonso, Penalty 10 second PLUS 2 POINTS, for SLOWING DOWN Alonso, while Max and Lando, Max punishment 10 seconds, no Penalty points while Lando got to park the car, not only slow down...

This was (one of) the inevitable result(s) of letting Verstappen keep the win at this track after virtually the same manouevre at the same corner in 2019, which is more or less what I said in the relevant thread at the time.

Although he did hit Leclerc much later in the corner (by virtue of missing the apex by 20 feet), so not identical I guess.

Monza 2021, Max Verstappen's Red Bull collides with Lewis Hamilton's Mercedes and McLaren end up as the beneficiaries but the win goes to Lando Norris' teammate.

Spielberg 2024, Max Verstappen's Red Bull collides with Lando Norris' McLaren and Mercedes end up as the beneficiaries but the win goes to Lewis Hamilton's teammate.

What a coincidence.

(Yes, I know Max didn't retire this time.)

This is just getting blown out of proportion. Neither of them were squeaky clean, the touch was minor but had huge consequences. Max earned his penalty, but let’s not pretend like he murdered someone here. That was just hard racing, I did not see this amount of whining from the media when all the shenanigans in Spain were happening.

I personally loved that battle, and I can’t wait to see how the next race goes. This is a lot better than last season.

Last edited:
This is just getting blown out of proportion. Neither of them were squeaky clean, the touch was minor but had huge consequences. Max earned his penalty, but let’s not pretend like he murdered someone here.

I did not see this amount of whining from the media when all the shenanigans in Spain were happening.
My thoughts exactly.
I dont see anybody calling out Alonso for an attempted murder ;) when colliding with Zhou.

My thoughts exactly.
I dont see anybody calling out Alonso for an attempted murder ;) when colliding with Zhou.

The difference is clear though - Alonso did hit Zhou, but he never tried to pretend it was anyone else's fault but his own; also, there was only one incident, Max weaved and moved in the braking zones on more than one occasion.

Finally, and most importantly, Max has reverted back to his old ways of 'give way or crash, your choice'. The FIA had to create rules to prevent this from happening and he's still at it.

While it wasn't the biggest crash we've ever seen, it's a dangerous portent of things to come if it remains unchecked.

What difference makes if Max accepts resposabilty or not?. Either by accident or deliberately, penalty was given for it, liked it or not. (well deserved, though).
What FIA needs to do is give penalties (or not) way faster and with enough severity. Not wait until drivers see red and start divebombing or moving in braking zone. This is my beef with what happenedon sunday.

What difference makes if Max accepts resposabilty or not?. Either by accident or deliberately, penalty was given for it, liked it or not. (well deserved, though).
What FIA needs to do is give penalties (or not) way faster and with enough severity. Not wait until drivers see red and start divebombing or moving in braking zone. This is my beef with what happenedon sunday.
Yeah, they looked to be quick enough at handing out penalties to Lewis, Alonso, Checo, & Albon (all justifiably), but even dating back to the pit stop interaction between Norris & Verstappen much earlier in the race (I still don't know at point they finally announced their call on it), they really seemed to be hesitant to make any quick call when it came to those two. I'll assume they didn't want to make any decision to affect the outcome, but we all know that shouldn't have mattered; at that point, the drivers' actions ruined their race, not the stewards. In this instance, Lando unfortunately would've cost himself a win anyway.

TMU, I wonder why GP did not reassure Max that he had victory in hand knowing a 5-point penalty was coming for Lando. Obviously, you don't just concede 1st place, but that information on hand should relax your defense a bit.

This is just getting blown out of proportion. Neither of them were squeaky clean, the touch was minor but had huge consequences. Max earned his penalty, but let’s not pretend like he murdered someone here. That was just hard racing, I did not see this amount of whining from the media when all the shenanigans in Spain were happening.

I personally loved that battle, and I can’t wait to see how the next race goes. This is a lot better than last season.
It's just almost every time the guy is in pressure battle situation he will cross straight into dubious sportsmanship - he is reinforcing my opinion he is the weakest sportsman of any multi world champion I've seen race. Prost might falter 1 in 30 battles, Vettel 1 in 20, Hamilton 1 in 15, Schumacher 1 in 10, Senna 1 in 5... but Max is like 4 out of 5. almost every time.

Max dangerously moved so mch under braking and created some accidents and debate earlier in his career. The sports organisers weighed up the "entertainment" versus the "safety" and have the rules adjusted to make that dangerous manouver made "legal" which still blows my mind.

I haven't seen much comment on the previous lap (63), do people think Norris got the nose closer to the apex and should Max have yielded position for running off track?
He was on the racing line while Norris bombed in, could he have used the extra grip racing line to slow down and cut in behind to retake the position fairly? Was he really forced off the track?

Norris ran wide on lap 59 and immediately yielded the position approaching the next corner, if he drove like Max should he have taken the off track penalty and just tried to gain the 5 second lead?
Would he have ended up with track limits penalty and a further gaining a lasting advantage penalty?

Back