Formula 1 Rolex Belgian Grand Prix 2024Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 170 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
The final race before the summer break takes us to Spa-Francorchamps for the high-speed romp through the Ardennes. The longest circuit on the calendar has played host to some of the most iconic moments in the sport's history, so will it do so this weekend? A tense race last time out filled with team radio disasters leaves everyone guessing as to what the form will be and the fallout from the exchanges will give us. Are McLaren about to kick into gear for a title challenge? We will find out at the BELGIAN GRAND PRIX!
Screenshot_20240724-133428.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
7.004 km

Race Distance
308.052 km

Lap Record
1:46.286
Valtteri Bottas (2018)​

Some chat that Max will take a grid penalty for a new power unit, as he's done here in the past.
Chance of some rain disruping qualifying on Saturday but the race on Sunday should be dry.

Such a weird & funny headline.

"F1 team sets bed time for its driver".
There's only so long being a night owl just to keep himself in race trim is going to help Max before it starts doing him serious harm. Red Bull have done the right thing. The last thing they need is a driver who's slowly developing insomnia. At worst, that could have happened.

There's only so long being a night owl just to keep himself in race trim is going to help Max before it starts doing him serious harm. Red Bull have done the right thing. The last thing they need is a driver who's slowly developing insomnia. At worst, that could have happened.
I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It's just a humorous headline to see published that a grown professional athlete is being told to not stay up late playing a game. It's even lead to great memes joking about Toto calling up Max and telling him, "You can sim all you want w/ pumpernickel if you come to Mercedes, Max."

Ultimately though, we all know Red Bull's current struggles go well beyond Max staying up late. His reactions during the GP would've likely still occurred if he went to bed at 8pm instead, but this picked up traction because Crofty kept poking fun at it.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It's just a humorous headline to see published that a grown professional athlete is being told to not stay up late playing a game. It's even lead to great memes joking about Toto calling up Max and telling him, "You can sim all you want w/ pumpernickel if you come to Mercedes, Max."

Ultimately though, we all know Red Bull's current struggles go well beyond Max staying up late. His reactions during the GP would've likely still occurred if he went to bed at 8pm instead, but this picked up traction because Crofty kept poking fun at it.
Never said it was a bad thing but in the long run it could have been.

Verstappen has been told no more sim racing until 3 am before F1 races.
Looks like we all got bamboozled. Max has denied this today.

"Max Verstappen contradicts SIM ban: 'I don't tell them what they can do in their private time' ".

Looking forward to this one. Last couple of years, this has been really Red Bull's strongest circuit. Mercedes look to be bringing the goodies here so hopefully that allows them to compete right at the sharp end with the others. Toto did say a couple races ago, they have high expecations for these upgrades so hopefully they deliver.

Big weekend coming up for Checo, this is probably his best chance to win on paper. If he can't manage that then hopefully he at least takes points of Max! It will be great if they struggle to qualify at the front, that would mean championship battle is truly on. There are a lot of fast cars on straights in the midfield too so hopefully they can stall Max's progress this race if they can get in a DRS train and there is no safety car.

Pretty sure if I'm doing something that negatively affects my performance at work it might be something to be reprimanded for by my boss but what do I know?

Max & Yuki are confirmed with their 10 place/back of grid penalties for taking extra engine parts.

Going by FP1, Max looks like he has good chance of winning with pace he has shown. He seems to have found a shortcut in the middle sector from all his sim racing. I don't think Checo has same spec car so at least he looks within range to compete with. I think others should go up in rear wing like Max has as they all seem too slow in the middle sector which will hurt race pace. A lot of cars currently look like they are at risk of getting disqualified if they used their current ride heights in the race.

Mercedes upgrades seem to be having the same effect as the one Ferrari had recently. Not looking positive so far, hopefully they can work it out or revert to Silverstone spec.

Max & Yuki are confirmed with their 10 place/back of grid penalties for taking extra engine parts.
Yuki actually has a 60 place penalty, meaning he'll start back in Brussels. I believe that's the "biggest" penalty since Button's 110 place with the McDumpster back in 2015.

Looked much more positive for McLaren, hopefully they have enough margin for plank wear. They must be odds-on favourites to win constructors going by today's performance as it means they have a proven all-rounder this year. If their future upgrades deliver like clockwork, it might even be a comfortable win. Been so long since last win in 1998. Hopefully Lando can get the drivers title too and end the Red Bull dominance!

Looked much more positive for McLaren, hopefully they have enough margin for plank wear. They must be odds-on favourites to win constructors going by today's performance as it means they have a proven all-rounder this year. If their future upgrades deliver like clockwork, it might even be a comfortable win. Been so long since last win in 1998. Hopefully Lando can get the drivers title too and end the Red Bull dominance!

I can imagine a future where McLaren could very well win the WCC. Their car works everywhere and they have 2 solid drivers that can maximize the result if the team don't screw up their strategies.

For the WDC, that's a different story. I think Max has that in the bag. As things stand, Lando would need to win every race from Spa onward to really have a shot at this championship and that's assuming Max doesn't DNF and finish 2nd for the remaining races. Seeing how inconsistent Lando has been with that car, I really can't see that happening.

Last edited:
Yuki actually has a 60 place penalty, meaning he'll start back in Brussels. I believe that's the "biggest" penalty since Button's 110 place with the McDumpster back in 2015.
Why not just apply it then over every race to make sure it gets fully assessed?

Why not just apply it then over every race to make sure it gets fully assessed?
Firstly because that would penalise the back of the grid teams disproportionately more than the front teams. In that situation Yuki would start at the back of the grid for the next 5-8 races, whilst Max would clear the penalty in 4.

Secondly because if you're starting at the back for 25% of the season, you might as well throw new engines etc. at the car every race, start at the back every time with maximum engine performance (no long term reliability concerns) and a bucket of fresh tyres (due to not taking part in qualifying because why would you bother?). Which sounds great to me but would make a mockery of the reasoning behind the FIA introducing the 3-power-units-per-season rule - to save costs.

Well, it's only 7am. C'mon, changing conditions! 😅

edit: Haven't watched FP3 highlights. Moist out there for Q1.

moar edit: Whoa, very wet for FP3 highlights. Glad it let up for qualifying.

Last edited:
Back