Formula 1 Rolex Belgian Grand Prix 2024Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 170 comments
He could drive like Mick Schumacher by splitting cars in half every race and he will still be given a contract extension.
Gotta feel bad for Alonso who has to deal with him.

Daddy will just sign up with Mercedes again or ask Audi for engines.

I can see Audi selling engines for more money to help offset some costs, plus 2 extra engines is 2 extra sets of data points for improvements to be made to the engine.

I feel for Lance a bit. I don't think Lawrence is spending so many millions on formula 1 because Lance loves racing, I think Lance races because Lawrence loves racing.

A couple of times I thought he sounded like giving in after a couple of big accidents. I think he enjoys the sport, but the passion comes from his dad. Lance has stayed on since then so he is clearly enjoying himself because he got this far - which you wouldn't do in a sport you had no interest in - and certainly the parent / son relationship protects him (and also will inevitably have an impact on his demeanour in interviews because he's just not under the same kind of job pressures that other drivers are under, but... if Lance retires I think Lawrence will carry on.

Lawrence will also move Lance on if it's the only way to keep his team going. This is Lawrence's sandpit, not Lance's. My opinion.

Hence I don't buy the "daddy" putdowns either. Partly because I reckon Lance, while not having the same performance based job security stress that other drivers have, I reckon he has his own unique set of stresses to deal with. I'll bet he doesn't have a Disney Prince life, and Lawrence doesn't seem like the loving, nurturing dad type, either. Maybe he's different at home than at work. Most people are.

Also, if my dad had been rich enough to sponsor a motor racing career for me, and had done so, I'd grab that with both hands. Not for one second would I consider saying no dad, put your money towards a more worthy driver instead of me.

Last edited:
Checo has job security unlike anything I've ever seen before. It rivals CEO positions, for crying out loud. :lol:

Kvyat, Albon and Hartley were all let go for significantly less than what Perez has done. I don't get it.

Yeah, I facepalmed when I read the news this morning myself. Red Bull just lost themselves the constructors’ championship 100% with that move. McLaren and Mercedes are both fighting for race wins now and all four of those drivers are equally capable of taking it.

And with all these top-tier drivers hungry for wins and with cars that are able to perform to that level now, Max is going to have one hell of a fight for the rest of the season to stay on top of the drivers’ championship.

There’s a pretty high chance this could be a titleless season for Red Bull now, which is pretty exciting tbh.

That is wild.

Completely off topic- does anyone know what happened to VCA/RB ??... I saw that Tsunoda pitted and changed from M to H and I thought "ok maybe they're going for a one stop" - and then RB just disappeared.

I mean it's great that RB got another point for the constructors race but I didn't expect them to be that off pace

I haven't read any articles yet but am I missing something ?

That is wild.

Completely off topic- does anyone know what happened to VCA/RB ??... I saw that Tsunoda pitted and changed from M to H and I thought "ok maybe they're going for a one stop" - and then RB just disappeared.

I mean it's great that RB got another point for the constructors race but I didn't expect them to be that off pace

I haven't read any articles yet but am I missing something ?
It's safe to assume it was simply Toro Rosso things™

Nothing that team does makes any sense to me anymore.

Lawrence will also move Lance on if it's the only way to keep his team going.

Hence I don't buy the "daddy" putdowns either. Partly because I reckon Lance, while not having the same performance based job security stress that other drivers have, I reckon he has his own unique set of stresses to deal with. I'll bet he doesn't have a Disney Prince life, and Lawrence doesn't seem like the loving, nurturing dad type, either. Maybe he's different at home than at work. Most people are.
Getting a better driver would boost the teams value instantly.
This is good business sense

He also gets protected by the team when he screws up.
Like when the got defended after rear ending Daniel under a SAFETY CAR.

I mean...he's worth more to the money men.
Didn't say his worth was on track. It's cynical but it's true.

It's a shame that Perez, the former People's Champion of F1.5 (people have seriously short memories), has fallen so far back on the circuit. I'd like to know exactly what explains his performance deficit; I've always hypothesised that a team like Red Bull builds a car exclusively tailored to Max Verstappen's driving style, irrespective of their number two's style, but that can't be the only thing.

Coulthard was close to Häkkinen.
Barrichello was always where he needed to be relative to Schumacher.
Irvine lagged behind Schumacher but never this much.
Frentzen kept reasonable pace with Villeneuve.
Fisichella tailgunned for Alonso reasonably well.
Even Bottas, who got awful dog's abuse, wasn't this far back to Hamilton.

Last edited:
Seeing Toto’s non reaction to the 1-2 was pretty sus. I think they knew.

Not surprised that RBR kept Perez, but there is no way he’s in the car next year.

Last edited:
(people have seriously short memories)
Oh, you don't have to tell me. I was having a "discussion" with someone the other day who outright implied he got the RB seat in the first place because of his financial backing. Now, while I have little doubt that played a role in things, he got the seat because of his stellar performances at Force India.

I have to presume the people saying these things weren't watching then and are just going off other people's opinions.

I'd like to know exactly what explains his performance deficit; I've always hypothesised that a team like Red Bull builds a car exclusively tailored to Max Verstappen's driving style, irrespective of their number two's style, but that can't be the only thing.
You and me, both. Massa had a very similar performance drop but was completely rejuvenated at Williams.
Bottas is another one people don't give the proper respect to. He outqualified and outraced Hamilton on multiple occasions on genuine pace.

Bottas was pretty much the perfect #2. He got into Q3 103 consecutive times with Mercedes, it only ended when he switched to Sauber.

Last edited:
You might have to consider the chance that there's no particular problem with Perez and that it is in fact Max that is placing the Red Bull better than the car was supposed to. Difficult to judge unless someone else drives that car.

It's a shame that Perez, the former People's Champion of F1.5 (people have seriously short memories), has fallen so far back on the circuit. I'd like to know exactly what explains his performance deficit; I've always hypothesised that a team like Red Bull builds a car exclusively tailored to Max Verstappen's driving style, irrespective of their number two's style, but that can't be the only thing.

He was always praised for being able to keep a set of tyres going for long stints. I don't recall that ever being a factor or mentioned during his tenure at Red Bull.

Stroll and Magnusson also did.
Seriously now the Merc knew...it seems like a strategy you'd use if your care has no pace. I don't really get tire strategy often times, but get the weight issue. cant remember who i saw that was talking about F1 drivers diet, but they eat like high end fashion models, and have to stay under a certain weight.

Last edited:

The right question in regards to Checo's case would probably be "why he was able to keep up for as much as he did". As much as Checo is underperforming right now, i can't really believe the issue lies entirely on his lack of pace.

You can't really tell me with a straight face that since 2019 RedBull tried filling their second seat three times and all three times in a row the drivers they picked were garbage. And it was their fault.

At this point it is at large part a systemic issue. Checo managed to last as long as he did due to his experience if anything.

No other top team as far as i can recall had such an issue in recent years (correct me in that if I'm wrong), even Ferrari seems to be able to keep its drivers at a comparable pace.

Last edited:
Back