Forza Motorsport 4 Color Creation Database [Work in Progress]

Terronium-12

For My Mom, Always
United States
Brooklyn, NY
KR_Viper
I Renown I
FeGOC.jpg

- Image stolen from Kyle and then edited. Thank you, Kyle.

The following has been borrowed from eek5's thread tutorial on the many tips and tricks within Forza's livery editor:

Getting accurate colors

KNN01.jpg

We're done right?

One of the things with creating logos is that you can lay down all the shapes you want but things sort of fall apart when your colors aren't accurate so we'll go a step further and try to get a bit more authenticity. Luckily, since FM3, we are able to fine tune our colors to get exactly what we want.

KNN02.jpg

Color dropper in photoshop. The values we're looking for are the HSB values in the top left (hue, saturation, brightness)

You'll need to use photoshop or another color selector tool and your original source image. You'll notice that the hue value is in degrees (0-360) while Forza uses 0-1.00. To convert basically divide the photoshop hue value by 360. For the example above you'd use 32/360 = 0.089.

KNN03.jpg

Inputting our eyedropped values. That looks better

KNN04.jpg

adjusted red value. See how different the default color was to our fine tuned?

You can find the entire thread here

Now to take this one step further and get accurate manufacturer body color swatches, and while FM lacks the variety of color densities seen in GT5 it's main advantage is exactly this - being able to create (or modify) colors at any given point. For free. With that said let's get things moving, shall we?

It should be noted beforehand that while the calculations involved are effective, they are not going to be 100% precise. You will have to adjust the ranges as necessary until you've acquired the desired color and/or effect - a bit of trial and error if you prefer. You can also take the colors available directly in the game and translate them here, however, it's imperative that it's listed under the name of the color... or at least the closest you can find according to the year of the vehicle.

----​

Legend

L (Left): The foremost first click.
M (Middle): The foremost middle click.
R (Right): The foremost last click before advancing to the next number.

Color Creation Worksheet

(Current Color Count: 202)

----

These are the first few colors I'll be updating and of course you all are free to contribute as well. These will eventually be comprised into a spreadsheet for ease of use. If one of you wants to jump the gun and get that rolling now then, again, feel free.

If anyone knows how to make Midnight Purple, hurry up and post it in here so I can steal it :sly:

Nice tutorial

If anyone knows how to make Midnight Purple, hurry up and post it in here so I can steal it :sly:

Nice tutorial

Done. See the OP.

EDIT: Speaking of the OP it should be easier to read now.

Heh, what makes you think my OCD hasn't had me cataloging these things already? ;)

I'm at the lady's, so no files with me, but if I could make a small suggestion, to keep things neater: I've been recording things with the code of, say, 82L, 82M, and 82R to deal with the portions. Most numbers have three clicks before moving down/up, so Left, Middle, Right made the most sense to me. I have ran into a few times where there's been 4 instances of a number, so I just modify it to L1, L2, R1, R2.

I'll post some of mine up once I'm home!

Midnight Purple II [Nissan]

Color 1

Hue: 85L
Saturation: 33R
Brightness: 33L

Color 2

Hue: 62L
Saturation: 48M
Brightness: 62M

* Use any two-tone special color. You can adjust each color by pressing X or Y.

Turn 10 has failed to make the color of my Civic look anywhere close to accurate. And I can't seem to do much better - I usually just end up with a silver color. If anyone else would like to give it a shot, I'd appreciate it. Its Galaxy Gray Metallic, in case you want more reference pictures.

2007_honda_civic_si_galaxy_gray_metallic_in_iowa_city_iowa_94314809259355266.jpg

If that brownish metallic in the game is supposed to be Galaxy Gray then I can see exactly how it turned out that way.

Well, from within Photoshop anyway. :P

On to the experiments. Shouldn't take any longer than 2-5 minutes of tinkering.

Galaxy Gray Metallic [Honda]

Color 1

Hue: 22L
Saturation: 06R
Brightness: 63L

Color 2

Hue: 33R (Alternatively: 27L)
Saturation: 01L (Alternatively: 09L)
Brightness: 55L (Alternatively: 42L)

Ultimate Opal Black [Nissan]

Color 1

Hue: 09R
Saturation: 26L
Brightness: 12L

Color 2

Hue: 92L
Saturation: 50L
Brightness: 40L

Cool, I'll check that out when I get home! 👍

I'm guessing you sampled the darker shades and the lighter shades and used each of them in the Special Color?

Cool, I'll check that out when I get home! 👍

I'm guessing you sampled the darker shades and the lighter shades and used each of them in the Special Color?

Basically, yeah.

I found one with the metallic sheen gleaming and I wound up with a bit of brown (pretty much the same tint that's in the game) so I had to use a picture like the one you posted above where there's no intense light refraction.

If it isn't accurate let me know.

In FM3 I found someone who had created a very good copy of the color of my 2008 Mazdaspeed3.

Cosmic Blue Mica was only available on the 2007 - 2008 MS3 and I would like to match it if I could. There is a special color that is close but not perfect.

I have been looking for a while for this.

In FM3 I found someone who had created a very good copy of the color of my 2008 Mazdaspeed3.

Cosmic Blue Mica was only available on the 2007 - 2008 MS3 and I would like to match it if I could. There is a special color that is close but not perfect.

I have been looking for a while for this.

A bit of a problem.

Which of these is the right one? 1 or 2

Cosmic Blue Mica [Mazda]

Color 1

Hue: 63R
Saturation: 28R
Brightness: 69L

Color 2

Hue: 64L
Saturation: 26R
Brightness: 40R

Plum Crazy [Plymouth]

Color 1

Hue: 71L
Saturation: 68M
Brightness: 58L

Color 2

Hue: 74L
Saturation: 40L
Brightness: 87L

Sable Métallisé [Citroën]

Color 1

Hue: 10L
Saturation: 41L
Brightness: 65L

Color 2

Hue: 10L
Saturation: 41L
Brightness: 71L

Chameleon Orange [TVR]

Color 1

Hue: 05M
Saturation: 93M
Brightness: 99L

Color 2

Hue: 17R
Saturation: 90R
Brightness: 99L

This is a thread I've never thought of seeing. This is great. Props for the Idea.

Thanks. This is what happens when you're wondering how you can make things more enjoyable than they already are. Now, how this is fun, exactly, I can't tell you. :P

---

Cascade Indigo [TVR]

Color 1

Hue: 02M
Saturation: 92R
Brightness: 51R

Color 2

Hue: 67L
Saturation: 62M
Brightness: 38R

NOTE: Cascade Indigo is an option in the game when buying the Sagaris, however, it doesn't really capture the transition from dark red to a near black very well (at least not to my eyes). One of my favorite colors across the board. If only we could mix three colors...

Back