Funny/Strange News Stories

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

Sad story, but I reckon this defendant deserves some of his own slapping treatment...

There might yet be hope for Groundfish, Dotini, JMoney, ITCC_Andrew, SuperCobraJet and the like.
Nope. Our shortest-expiring ban is around 2wk, several expire on November 6, our longest is sometime in the 22nd Century, and those ones are all permanent.

Nope. Our shortest-expiring ban is around 2wk, several expire on November 6, our longest is sometime in the 22nd Century, and those ones are all permanent.
It was facetious more than anything.

An automatic Impreza might have won Le Mans by 2119...

It might have been the proverbial straw but his shins and knees had already made contact.

Definitely filed under strange.

EDIT:

A good breakdown here:

Last edited:
So she was put under house arrest for doxxing a minor? Not like the Murdoch press to misrepresent the truth.

Last edited:
If he wasn't an adult there may be a limit on the maximum sentence he can receive no matter how pissed they get.
So change that then.

Although there is this:

According to Spiegel, under juvenile criminal law in Germany the length of youth sentences is based on the educational needs of the individual defendant.

There should be no situation where a gang rapist should not spend time in a detention facility. Period.

And there's this:

Psychiatrist Nahlah Saimeh, who reportedly appeared before the court as an expert witness, said in a controversial interview with Spiegel that the gang rape may have been a way to vent “frustration” due to “migration experiences and sociocultural homelessness”.

Protesters in Cologne, 2016, after mass sexual assaults. Picture: Roberto Pfeil/AFP

Protesters in Cologne, 2016, after mass sexual assaults. Picture: Roberto Pfeil/AFP
Dr Saimeh said perpetrators “who live on the margins of society, completely uprooted culturally, linguistically and socially” could face a “mix of emotions of anger, sadness, powerlessness, depression, fantasies of grandeur as a compensation attempt to cope with one’s own misery, and drug use”.

“Disordered, unprepared migration experiences and sociocultural homelessness increase the risk of addiction and psychosis,” she said.

“Sex is also a means of venting frustration and anger, a means of warding off sadness and emptiness, and in a group of men with the same fate it also creates identity and strengthens the group feeling.”

She added, “The victim becomes a pure instrument for their own sexual gratification. It’s about an immediate need, opportunity, inner conviction and the right of the stronger.”

One of her responses:

It is madness.

EDIT: I should make clear: I have little objection to Saimeh expressing her opinion dispassionately. However, if this factors into a sentencing decision as to whether they should be put behind bars then or in some way excuses it then it is wrong.

giphy.webp

Last edited:
So change that then.
How? I'm not a lawyer and I'm certainly not a German legislator so I don't know why minors' sentences are limited.
Although there is this:
It reads like a sensationalised news story that attempts to blame the psychiatrist for the seemingly lenient sentence given to the rapist, simply because she's not using angry and condemnatory language but giving her perspective from the point of view of someone who's studied psychology, which is presumably the reason she was called into court in the first place.

If they expected her to say the rapist is an animal who should be locked up for life or executed perhaps they should've summoned a tabloid journalist instead.

I feel for the victim and can understand her anger but this is why we have courts and not mob justice. I don't think if the kid is released that he won't be monitored closely and prevented from gang raping other people. I hope there's an alternative solution to simply banning black people from entry.

Last edited:
How? I'm not a lawyer and I'm certainly not a German legislator so I don't know why minors' sentences are limited.
So you agree that they are justified in being outraged?
It reads like a sensationalised news story that attempts to blame the psychiatrist for the seemingly lenient sentence given to the rapist, simply because she's not using angry and condemnatory language but giving her perspective from the point of view of someone who's studied psychology, which is presumably the reason she was called into court in the first place.

If they expected her to say the rapist is an animal who should be locked up for life or executed perhaps they should've summoned a tabloid journalist instead.

I feel for the victim and can understand her anger but this is why we have courts and not mob justice. I don't think if the kid is released that he won't be monitored closely and prevented from gang raping other people. I hope there's an alternative solution to simply banning black people from entry.
I edited my post to make my position clearer.

Last edited:
So you agree that they are justified in being outraged?
No, I'm saying that I'm not sure whether minors who gang rape people should be tried as adults and don't have enough legal knowledge to demand the system is reformed.
EDIT: I should make clear: I have little objection to Saimeh expressing her opinion dispassionately. However, if this factors into a sentencing decision as to whether they should be put behind bars then or in some way excuses it then it is wrong.
Expert witnesses don't judge cases or determine sentences. It's not my job whether to say whether psychiatrists should be condemned for stating their opinions. It doesn't sound to me like she was excusing anything though.

Rather, she seems to be providing an alternative reason for why it happened than "Black immigrants are feral animals who are universally predisposed to sexual violence". I think that's because nobody wants to believe this is the case other than those who are opposed to immigration.

Last edited:
No, I'm saying that I'm not sure whether minors who gang rape people should be tried as adults and don't have enough legal knowledge to demand the system is reformed.
How does it feel to you as a person?

I have (very) limited legal knowledge but it seems unjust.
Expert witnesses don't judge cases or determine sentences. It's not my job whether to say whether psychiatrists should be condemned for stating their opinions. It doesn't sound to me like she was excusing anything though.

Rather, she seems to be providing an alternative reason for why it happened than "Black immigrants are feral animals who are universally predisposed to sexual violence". I think that's because nobody wants to believe this is the case other than those who are opposed to immigration.
Should it factor into the sentencing? Should it be used as an excuse (again, she didn't excuse it as far as I can tell but should it be used by others)?

Last edited:
I get that Lake Erie is the Not-so-Great Lake and is a swamp, but gators?

I'm guessing it was someone's illegal pet that they just dumped in the water, but it's really strange to see that story pop up.

How does it feel to you as a person?

I have (very) limited legal knowledge but it seems unjust.
I suspect there are very good reasons why minors shouldn't be tried as adults due to diminished responsibility. A quick Google search suggests that Article 37 of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child prohibits life imprisonment for people under the age of eighteen.

Should it factor into the sentencing?
If they didn't want her expert testimony to factor into sentencing then I don't think they would've called her.

Should it be used as an excuse (again, she didn't excuse it as far as I can tell but should it be used by others)?
Used as an excuse by who? If it's anyone other than the judge then it doesn't have an impact on the case. If it is then I think excuse is a pretty loaded word used by people who didn't feel the rapist was sufficiently punished. Either group psychology is a factor in her rape or it wasn't.

Last edited:
I suspect there are very good reasons why minors shouldn't be tried as adults due to diminished responsibility.
How does the fact that he didn't spend a day in detention feel to you, not whether he was tried as an adult.
If they didn't want her expert testimony to factor into sentencing then I don't think they would've called her.

Used as an excuse by who? If it's anyone other than the judge then it doesn't have an impact on the case. If it is then I think excuse is a pretty loaded word used by people who didn't feel the rapist was sufficiently punished. Either group psychology is a factor in her rape or it wasn't.
So should it affect the judge's decision on whether they deserve to be behind bars?

Back