Geoguessr

• Thread starter TB
  • 183 comments
I can totally do well at this!

Wait what.jpg

Wait, what!?

First attempt with a couple of lousy guesses and then a couple of pretty good ones. 7134 points. Similarly meh 8077 on my second go (can't seem to grab the URL for it).

The similarity of run-down places in countries like Brazil is really killing my scores. One random village in Brazil could be a random village pretty much anywhere in South America. Also, turns out bits of Canada look a lot like places in Scandinavia...

TB
Come back when you clear 30k:

;)
timthumb.php

@TB
1st attempt: 25879 Dumped in some kind of beach hotel resort that was impossible to navigate around + terminal internet speed meaning I just had to guess. However, check the one in Wales - 0m away.

Last edited:
TB
Come back when you clear 30k:

;)
:eek:
Not quite what you got, but I'm nearly there. :P

Could you put a leaderboard in the first post? It would be interesting to see what people have got.

Last edited:
Could you put a leaderboard in the first post? It would be interesting to see what people have got.
I would but there are so many different ways of playing (guess without moving, guess with only rotating around your start point, flat out cheating, er... I mean extensive research) there's no easy way to categorize them.

That and I'm busy keeping up on Whammings. Oh, and work. Mustn't forget about work. :dopey:

TB
Oh, and work. Mustn't forget about work. :dopey:
Oh yeah, just that little thing. :lol::lol::lol:

Obviously, that 30+k one was the maximum cheating I allow (as in, search, move about and look in Maps, but don't actually open Street View) I am proud of the 0m I got in the previous one, as that was virtually 10 seconds after landing in Pendine, somewhere I have been and recognised. I didn't even rotate the picture.

@TB
10 SMEGGING POINTS BEHIND YOU: 32384

Last edited:
Thread revival!

Anyone still playing GeoGuessr...? I decided to pay for unlimited gaming and have been wasting epic amounts of time on it!

Thread revival!

Anyone still playing GeoGuessr...? I decided to pay for unlimited gaming and have been wasting epic amounts of time on it!
Err, I think so
upload_2021-1-16_20-34-38.png

For paid members there's a new Battle Royale mode of GeoGuessr, where it's all about finding the country you're in faster than opponents in real time. Perhaps we could run a GTPlanet league?

Did this always require a sign-up with limited access? I remember playing something that was exactly the same a long time ago, but you just jump on and have a go. Don't know if it was this game and they changed.

Did this always require a sign-up with limited access? I remember playing something that was exactly the same a long time ago, but you just jump on and have a go. Don't know if it was this game and they changed.
It's the same thing, the owner just made it restricted like that a while ago.

It's probably the same, I believe Google's licensing for the Streetview API meant quite a few sites needed to charge for the service.

Perhaps we could run a GTPlanet league?

I'd probably be up for this, I'm not that good, but it's just such a fascinating game!

Last edited:
That's rookie numbers. Check the screenshot I posted earlier

Lol, I missed the tally :D

Think my best streak is 5. I've only just realised you can go back to a game and continue, which might help with the patience aspect of it. Do you set any limits or is it just default setting?

At the moment I'm trying to gold everything in Explorer mode... UK, Germany, Romania, Belgium and... Senegal, done.

No time or distance limits - just no Googling anything like places on road signs. The only thing I'll do is use Google Translate to turn Cyrillic letters into Latin so I can at least read the place name. I just have the patience to keep going until I find a clue. A couple of days ago, I ended up going (I measured it afterwards on Google Maps) 91km down a sandy path through a desert to eventually find evidence that my initial thought of "Botswana" was correct.

The first things to know is which countries have Street View images, and it helps quite a lot that's I've managed to learn how to indentify written languages. Through experience, you'll start to notice unique characters in different languages that if you see - that's the country identified straight away.

Flags are useful to look for, but the elite strategy is to look for web domain endings. Things like .de .cl .si .com.ua and .gt are fantastic because they give you the country almost instantly. Just be careful if you're in Europe and you see it on a lorry, it could have crossed borders and that happens regularly.

No time or distance limits - just no Googling anything like places on road signs. The only thing I'll do is use Google Translate to turn Cyrillic letters into Latin so I can at least read the place name. I just have the patience to keep going until I find a clue. A couple of days ago, I ended up going (I measured it afterwards on Google Maps) 91km down a sandy path through a desert to eventually find evidence that my initial thought of "Botswana" was correct.

The first things to know is which countries have Street View images, and it helps quite a lot that's I've managed to learn how to indentify written languages. Through experience, you'll start to notice unique characters in different languages that if you see - that's the country identified straight away.

Flags are useful to look for, but the elite strategy is to look for web domain endings. Things like .de .cl .si .com.ua and .gt are fantastic because they give you the country almost instantly. Just be careful if you're in Europe and you see it on a lorry, it could have crossed borders and that happens regularly.

Yeah, I've picked up on the domain name thing. I've won a couple of Battle Royale's in the first round thanks to .mt! Cyrillic trips me up, generally for me, in a Battle Royale it's a case of waiting to see which countries are incorrectly guessed first... if a few people get it, and there's no wrong answers, it's Russia. If Russia is an incorrect guess, it's probably Ukraine, if Ukraine's an incorrect guess it's generally Bulgaria... though sods law says if I use up all three guesses on those it'll either be Serbia or North Macedonia!

The only time I've googled anything during play was during a 45 minute long hunt around Ho Chi Minh city for a riverside market. Signs saying "Saigon" were all over the place, but nothing I was seeing matched up, so I googled to confirm that Ho Chi Minh was the current name for Saigon, then gave it a best guess... ended up 200km out!

I don't know how the people who get 25,000 points in like 8 secs, do it, there's obviously some cheating going on.

That's now four times I've got my Country Streak into the 200s before it all falls apart since my 409 streak in December. It takes hours to get into the 200s, so it's really annoying for it to fall apart, still so far from my record.

You're still comfortably ahead of my 29 country streak @Jimlaad43 :D

I see they've added Battle Royale stats. I'm apparently on 22 wins from 179 games.
7/15 for me, with an average finishing position of 2.9. I focus on Country Streak too much for mega stats in the other game modes.

@MatskiMonk, how's your Explorer Mode coming along?

My quest for the magical Country Streak of "420" is still fruitless. I managed to get all the way up to 349 before a streak died earlier this week. I went past three signs which clearly told me I was in Ontario #, and once I'd guessed Canada it told me I was in upstate New York... I've guessed places correct with much, much less information than that which is what hurt the most.

I can average about 50 per hour, so you can imagine how thrilled I was to lose 7 hours of streak to still be at least an hour away from my record of 409.

Current streak is 138, let's see if i can get into the 400s again this time.

@MatskiMonk, how's your Explorer Mode coming along?

Slowly, not had much chance to attack it until this weekend. USA, Bulgaria and Botswana golded this weekend. It's always surprising how things don't go as expected... Botswana saw me wasting 20+ mins trying to find the village whose sign I was next to, but wasn't indicated on the map at all. One of those that doesn't seem to tally up when you look at it - but couldn't be anywhere else. You kind of expect it in places like Botswana, but I then spent 34 minutes going around in circles in upstate New York, because it all looks the sodding same!

Getting there slowly...

upload_2021-2-14_15-57-42.png

My quest for the magical Country Streak of "420" is still fruitless. I managed to get all the way up to 349 before a streak died earlier this week. I went past three signs which clearly told me I was in Ontario #, and once I'd guessed Canada it told me I was in upstate New York... I've guessed places correct with much, much less information than that which is what hurt the most.

I can average about 50 per hour, so you can imagine how thrilled I was to lose 7 hours of streak to still be at least an hour away from my record of 409.

Current streak is 138, let's see if i can get into the 400s again this time.

This is a mission and a half!

Last edited:
New Zealand, Ireland and Austria golded in Explorer mode.

Christ New Zealand was a trudge, and Ireland wasn't the easy win I thought it would be either! Austria wasn't too bad, 4 locations were in Vienna!

edit:

They've added some countries to Explorer mode, so despite three golds today, I've got more to do than I did :D

Last edited:
@TB

I know you posted this nearly 8 years ago, but thank you for doing so. I used a round of Geoguessr as an intro game to an evening on navigation for my Scout troop (all online at the moment of course) and instead of taking the 15 minutes I'd planned, it took up the whole hour. We did ignore the rules by moving around and searching, but it kept them engaged in the hunt and my group were chuffed with getting 19m away from a Chicago dry cleaners (said noone ever... until tonight). We never got to the navigation element of the evening but they enjoyed themselves and that's the main thing!

Last edited:
Roo
@TB

I know you posted this nearly 8 years ago, but thank you for doing so. I used a round of Geoguessr as an intro game to an evening on navigation for my Scout troop (all online at the moment of course) and instead of taking the 15 minutes I'd planned, it took up the whole hour. We did ignore the rules by moving around and searching, but it kept them engaged in the hunt and my group were chuffed with getting 19m away from a Chicago dry cleaners (said noone ever... until tonight). We never got to the navigation element of the evening but they enjoyed themselves and that's the main thing!
Sounds like a good time, Roo!

I just played my first game in at least 7 years and despite trying the "famous places" map, they gave me some incredibly obscure locations! Made me feel like a complete idiot! :lol:

Roo
I know you posted this nearly 8 years ago, but thank you for doing so. I used a round of Geoguessr as an intro game to an evening on navigation for my Scout troop (all online at the moment of course) and instead of taking the 15 minutes I'd planned, it took up the whole hour.

I personally think it could be a great teaching tool, there is an educational account you can sign up for, https://www.geoguessr.com/education not cheap, and perhaps not totally relevant to Scouts, but maybe worth a look.

Wow, I never realised you could have a look at all the places you visited after a Country Streak game.

Here's my 409 streak record. Have a look at that :lol:
https://www.geoguessr.com/results/PXE7k9xtP0iE7PLN

I see that you got Guatemala several times, but the distribution was very tight to one area, same with Costa Rica ... I've made mental note of that :D

As for that last guess... I'm not should I'd have gone Bolivia myself, but there was a minibus with a Bolivian flag on the bonnet just around the corner from the start location.

I've yet to tick any more countries off my explorer mode quest. I'm doing it with no limits or restrictions, but I have tabulated the results so far to get an idea of my performance...

upload_2021-3-8_16-49-47.png

The UK being top should not be a surprise, since I live here, but it's funny that Bulgaria wasn't far behind! I'd had it in mind >24,000 was required for Gold for some reason, but it's actually 22,500... so I might impose a 1 hour time limit and settle for a bit less accuracy. Might give Japan another crack later.

Latest Posts

Back