GGG: Round 3 - Ferrari Rear-Mid Engine V8 Series

• Thread starter buickgnx88
  • 25 comments

Which V8 Mid-Rear Engine Ferrari is Your Favorite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

buickgnx88

That Guy Over There
Premium
United States
Anoka, MN
The mounting of a V8 engine behind the passengers, but ahead of the rear axle (mid-rear configuration) in a Ferrari traces back to the mid 70's. This configuration is popular for its near 50:50 weight distribution and superb handling, and has been utilized for eight generations to date. Which V8-powered prancing-horse is your favorite?

Ferrari%20308GTS%20QV%20(2).jpg

1985-1988-ferrari-328-gtb-gts-169_1581_969X727.jpg

ferrari-3487-1.jpg

F355
ferrari-f355_key_7.jpg

ferrari-360-9.jpg

F430
xMAM2367_0414280.jpg

acura-buys-a-ferrari_800x0w.jpg

ferrar-488-gtb.jpg

I went with the F355 for my vote, I love the older square styling that has been rounded just enough to look modern. Plus, it's the last of the pop-up headlights!

The mid-engined V8 Ferrari's are always considered the benchmark for this segment of cars in terms of looks and performance, and the latest car is always an improvement on the previous one. For those reasons i find it tough to prefer one over the others, so it has to be the 488.

Definitely the 458 Italia. IMO the best looking of the modern V8 Ferraris and the best sounding as well

The F355 takes my vote. It was wicked in its own way both performance and visual-wise.

For daily driving though, I would pick the 328. Can blend into daily traffic easier.

I'll pick one outside the list, as much of a homologation special as the 288 GTO may have been it was still a V8 mid-engined Ferrari.

I really do love the 360 these days, but it's the CS' slight changes that really make it stand out for me.

The 355 however, looks gorgeous in any form, so it gets the edge.

For me is either the F355 because the manual box and they reached the peak of depreciation these days, so if I could, I would grab one immediately. But the 488, to me, it's the better looking and the blowers only add to the character, a different character. And it's the absolute benchmark of supercars. That's why it is gong to be my choice.

At first I thought 355, but I like the 348 looks just a little bit more.
I prefer the looks of the 348 certainly, but my desire to drive the 355 is a little stronger, based mainly on reading road tests at the time that said it was a massive improvement.

Close with the 360 though, which I've always thought was a really pretty design. And having driven a 488 on a couple of occasions now, it's hard to imagine any of its predecessors are more complete performance cars.

I prefer the looks of the 348 certainly, but my desire to drive the 355 is a little stronger, based mainly on reading road tests at the time that said it was a massive improvement.
Depends on who you ask. From what I gather, the 348 was less forgiving on the limit and was more tail happy, but it was more precise with it's sharp unassisted steering. The 355 introduced power steering and electronic variable suspension and was engineered to be more forgiving, but I'm not sure that's improvement for all drivers.

430. I just prefer the styling to... actually, to most Ferraris regardless of engine or drivetrain layout. The Scuderia is one of my favorite cars ever in terms of styling.

Get your votes in if you haven't yet, poll closes tomorrow evening! At this point, the F355 has a significant lead over all the others while the 328 and 488 are tied for last place.

The 430 was my childhood Ferrari which is probably why I'm drawn to that car the most. Always thought it looked fantastic too.

308 is my pick. May not be the fastest, but it's the best looking out of all the choices, and it still looks like a pleasure to drive. I really like how the front is sharp looking; much better than a rounded front like on the newer Ferraris.

Back