Global Warming/Climate Change Discussion Thread

• Thread starter ZAGGIN
  • 3,644 comments

Which of the following statements best reflects your views on Global Warming?

• Total voters
Actually hasn't recent history of eruptions on Earth been quiet?

Krakatoa, seems to be the last 'major' eruption (in historical terms), and depending on what you read or doco's you've seen, ejected some 5-11 CUBIC MILES of matter... (one doco I remember said 17) Anyway IMAGINE just 1 cubic mile hole... HUGE.

Although not all of that would remain up there in the sky, but I imagine it'd do some damage to the temperatures for years. Krakatoa is credited a decade of temperature disruption.

Now... think, Krakatoa is now higher than it was when it erupted... and it's not what we should be afraid of... it's a pee shooter...

There are about 12-14 super volcano sites around the world that many are 'overdue' - Yellowstone caldera is normally mentioned here, hey it's only something like 20 miles by 35 miles in size... and activity has increased and worrying ground movements or bulges recorded. It's only 10000-20000 years overdue on it's 240000 year eruption cycle...

If one of these monsters go off, we won't be worried about local temperature fluctuations but world food production being effected, and mass population loss thereof afterwards.

Just sit back, enjoy and watch the show, and hope the main event doesn't show up next door to you in your lifetime.

Mother Nature always holds check, just hope she doesn't want to finish the game.

Wasn't Pinatubo big? Not quite as big as Krakatoa, but Pinatubo was one of the biggest this century, and that was only about twenty (okay... nineteen) years ago.

Didn't have quite the spectacular effects of Krakatoa (brilliant twilight for months...), but it was big.

It's difficult to say that we're having a shortage of eruptions lately... considering that the biggest eruptions in all of recorded history (back thousands of years) have all happened within the last two hundred years. I'd say we're batting above average.

Yeah niky I'll give you that simply by the VEI rating of 6 for both. But in terms of what was ejected I think it was a little smaller...

Edit: The more I go reading the more I seem to have underestimated the size of Pinatubo... maybe because it didn't seem to blow the crap outta itself and leave nothing left?

2nd Edit: Holy Batman! New Zealand's central North Island has had 8... EIGHT!!! recorded 7+ VEI's recorded...

Last edited:
Pinatubo and Krakatoa are nothing compared to Tambora in 1815 - the largest volcanic eruption in recorded history. And an Icelandic eruption at Laki in 1783 is second only to that.

The numbers are hilariously alarming. Tambora threw out 40 cubic miles of material, weighing in at over a hundred trillion tons. Pinatubo in total managed to cough up 17 million tons of sulphur dioxide over its entire eruption, whereas Laki was spewing that out every three days in an eruption that lasted eight months, increasing the death rate across much of Europe by 5% (in Iceland, one in four people and more than 50% of animals were killed) and making the North American winter of that year the longest and coldest ever recorded...

And yet neither Tambora nor Laki nor Krakatoa led to the next Ice Age. Shame.

You know, if the environmentalists really want to stop Global warming, they'll repeal sulphur emissions regulations. We could use the sunscreen.

And yet neither Tambora nor Laki nor Krakatoa led to the next Ice Age. Shame.

You know, if the environmentalists really want to stop Global warming, they'll repeal sulphur emissions regulations. We could use the sunscreen.

Do you live in year round hot area?

273 degrees Kelvin = 0 degrees Celsius/Centigrade = 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Has that answered your question?

Yes I knew that, I just wanted to know what he considered to be warm, but I guess it would just be anything under that. (Same in NY)

I can imagine that if a news reporter pronounces Eyjafjalljokull right that they'd have a party. "Woo, I pronounced it right! Time to get wasted and find some sexy ladies!"

P.S. Speaking of Eyjafjalljokull, how do you pronounce it? :confused:

If you're English-speaking, Eye-yar-yalla-yok-ull. If you want to give it the works and be native, Eye-yat-yak-la-yok-uch. Do it in a slight mock-Dutch accent and you're there.

If you work for Fox News, "The Exploding Mountain".

If you're English-speaking, Eye-yar-yalla-yok-ull. If you want to give it the works and be native, Eye-yat-yak-la-yok-uch. Do it in a slight mock-Dutch accent and you're there.
So, are you going to party then?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure 3 in 4 gun-toting, KKK-lifetime-membership-owning, gay-bashing, non-Christian non-white hating rednecks don't know what a volcano is.
Your ability to create unfunny and offensive stereotypes is astounding. As a fellow member I have to ask that you stop. Not only is it annoying and in no way funny, but it throws things off topic.

If you work for Fox News, "The Exploding Mountain".

I'm surprised they haven't coined a catchier catchphrase... like "Magmageddon" or "Ashpocalypse"...

-

RE: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37371442/ns/world_news-europe/

Interesting newslink, there, Dotini... especially the title...

2nd Iceland volcano issues warning

Wonder when Katla's next videotaped speech will be. What are her demands? Are we looking at a new terrorist cell opening up in Iceland? When will it stop?

This is somewhat off topic from the volcano discussion, but I thought I'd bring this up anyway. So what do think of a "green" Ferrari.

ferrari-599-hybrid-560x373.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/02/ferrari-599-hy-kers-geneva-motor-show-2010/

Honestly, I think a green Ferrari (in both senses) is ugly, and ridiculous. It's like if Toyota came out with a Prius R Turbo. That wouldn't go down to well with the green peace people. A green Ferrari just goes against what a Ferrari should be in my opinion.

Arguably, no-one has done more to put people off flying than Ryanair.

I'm sorry if this is another stereotype from my hormone-fuelled 16-year-old mind, but I've been on a Ryanair flight, and this link here perfectly describes Ryanair's typical passengers.

Pinatubo was a very big eruption.

It's worthy of note that, if Eyjafjalljokull leads to another eruption from neighbouring Katla - and Katla eruptions are always preceded by Eyjafjalljokull eruptions - it'll make Pinatubo look like a sunbed. Katla is a beast.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37371442/ns/world_news-europe/

Well when Yellowstone erupts, game over... and unfortunately it's about due for one of it's mega eruptions. The last time it had one was about 650,000 years ago, which was 650,000 years following the 2nd to last eruption.

While no one knows for sure when it will blow, considering how long it has been since the last one, and considering all the recent earthquakes, and last year's dramatic rise of the Yellowstone plateau, it could erupt within the year...

[YOUTUBEHD]aVUx1JtT-5I[/YOUTUBEHD]

:nervous:

I'm hoping it wont be for several thousands of years, or at least not until after August, as I'm taking my family camping in Yellowstone this summer... wish me luck.

Last edited:
Well when Yellowstone erupts, game over... and unfortunately it's about due for one of it's mega eruptions. The last time it had one was about 650,000 years ago, which was 650,000 years following the 2nd to last eruption.

While no one knows for sure when it will blow, considering how long it has been since the last one, and considering all the recent earthquakes, and last year's dramatic rise of the Yellowstone plateau, it could erupt within the year... :nervous:

I'm hoping it wont be for several thousands of years, or at least not until after August, as I'm taking my family camping in Yellowstone this summer... wish me luck.

Good luck on your trip to Yellowstone, Digital-Nitrate. I've camped out there several times, once on a backroads motorcycle journey from Seattle. It's truly beautiful, awesome and even magical place. Bring cameras. You will have a great time!

Respectfully yours,
Dotini

As for Global warming, I think it's occuring on the earth and human activity is the main cause of this, since we humans have released too much greenhouse gas to the air. Cars, the chimneys of factories(They issue so much smoke) and so on, are thought of the main sources(I'm not pretty sure about whether the chimneys are also one of the sources or not, but I've heard they also help this problem go on) and produce such kind of gas, it reaches the sky and starts warming the earth like it works like a warmer.

We needed to reduce it as much as possible and now trying to do it, well that's rather trying not to make it anymore than simply "reducing" it...

I'm not much familiar with this problem, so I think that's all for me that I can say here right now... :(

As for Global warming, I think it's occuring on the earth and human activity is the main cause of this, since we humans have released too much greenhouse gas to the air. Cars, the chimneys of factories(They issue so much smoke) and so on, are thought of the main sources(I'm not pretty sure about whether the chimneys are also one of the sources or not, but I've heard they also help this problem go on) and produce such kind of gas, it reaches the sky and starts warming the earth like it works like a warmer.

We needed to reduce it as much as possible and now trying to do it, well that's rather trying not to make it anymore than simply "reducing" it...

I'm not much familiar with this problem, so I think that's all for me that I can say here right now... :(

Hi there YellowBird23,

It's probably both correct and virtuous to think that we humans have been making some pretty poor decisions over the recent course of history. I think so too.

However, the more I learn about our place in the overall scheme of the universe, the less convinced I am that we humans are the key factors we assume we are in major swings in earthly climate such as the ice ages, extinction events and sudden warmings as are found in the geological record. Rather, I think that we need to know more - much more - about our Earth, our Sun, our solar system and how they all interact together and with the local and distant features in our galaxy. We are a ship of fools only slowly coming to awareness in an ocean much vaster than ourselves.

It's okay to be a little :( about our human condition (which is pathetic in important ways), but maybe a little premature to blame ourselves and take policy level responsibility for global warming.

Very respectfully yours,
Dotini

Yeah so after this last semester I have to change my vote from the first to the fourth option. The industrial revolution did not help our current state of affairs, however it has become clear to me that it was not the sole reason for the shift in the climate recently.

Yeah so after this last semester I have to change my vote from the first to the fourth option. The industrial revolution did not help our current state of affairs, however it has become clear to me that it was not the sole reason for the shift in the climate recently.

I hesitate to take the choice that anthropogenic global warming is any kind of deliberate or intentional fraud. There is real value in studying the human input into the problem. More like it's an inchoate fraud, or understandable error stemming from incomplete understanding of the big picture with a dash of liberal guilt thrown in.

While no one knows for sure when it will blow, considering how long it has been since the last one, and considering all the recent earthquakes, and last year's dramatic rise of the Yellowstone plateau, it could erupt within the year...

[YOUTUBEHD]aVUx1JtT-5I[/YOUTUBEHD]

:nervous:

Wow, how dreadful this video is... Made me scared :scared:
If it really happens it would totally destroy the (entire) earth, I hope it won't occur for you and your family too... 👍

Wow, how dreadful this video is... Made me scared :scared:
If it really happens it would totally destroy the (entire) earth, I hope it won't occur for you and your family too... 👍

It wouldn't destroy the entire earth, although it will spell immediate destruction to a large portion of northern America. It would also wreak havoc with global weather systems, bringing about mass food and energy shortages, it would kill millions if not billions over a period of just a decade.

It wouldn't destroy the entire earth, although it will spell immediate destruction to a large portion of northern America. It would also wreak havoc with global weather systems, bringing about mass food and energy shortages, it would kill millions if not billions over a period of just a decade.

Thanks for the prompt reply Steve. Hm, but as you say, it would be a certain thing that the eruption will cause a massive-scale destruction of the northern America. So many people, not only who live near the mountain, but also the people who inhabit in the areas not so near would be killed by this big natural phenomenon, not an accident(or incident) brought about by humans.

>Dotini
Thank you for the quick response as well, 👍 Yep. We need to know about our earth, sun, the solar system and so on, how all of them interact each other and what sort of influence they each give... Not to do or stop doing such problem things through learning about them, we'll start awaking to the dangerous things that happen when we did a problem thing for the mechanism about planets and some other stuff.

Back