GPS Lap Timers

• Thread starter Punknoodle
  • 1 comments
Australia
Brisbane
Punknoodle_Nick
I really had no idea where to post this...

I'm in the market for a good quality Lap Timer for when I do sprint meetings in the GT-Four. The official timing is obviously still from the transponder mounted to the front, but I want something that I can look at easily in real time, preferably with a delta, showing me if I'm on a good lap or a not so good lap.

The other thing is I'd like to have is access to my ECU data (Haltech Platinum Sport 1000) so I can see the parameters like throttle position based on track position when I take a datalog. I could quite easily wire a brake pressure sensor to my ECU as well in order to log that. Right now I suck them out with a laptop but without GPS or lateral and acceleration sensors I can't easily analyze where on the track I am.

I don't need a logger dash in my vehicle. While they look pretty awesome and seeing the vital stats of the engine might be nice, it isn't really necessary or worth the cost to me (a good dash like a Racepak with GPS logging is well over $2kAUD, if you want AIM or Motec it goes up). I have a tachometer and a speedo already, as well as coolant temp and boost gauges. The ECU monitors oil temp and pressure, coolant temp, intake air temp, wideband O2 and fuel pressure as well and if anything gets bad it automatically engages engine protection so I don't need to monitor that stuff very closely.

On top of my list right now is the AIM Solo DL. It can connect to my ECU via CAN and get all the parameters I would want to log. I can even choose to display certain parameters on the unit itself. Of course it has GPS (10Hz) and does predicted lap time, delta, best and current laptime displays (all configurable). Looks like a really good unit. It's quite expensive (around $800AUD) but looks nice and clear and well built.

There are the cheaper options out the like QStarz, but it looks like they only do 5Hz GPS and they don't do engine parameters. AIM do the Solo in a cheaper version that doesn't do ECU data but has the same GPS as the DL version.

Currently leaning towards the Solo DL but if anyone else here has any experience with different models of lap timer it would be great to get some input.

Do you know Harry's Laptimer?

http://www.gps-laptimer.de/ (it's in engl ;) )

You can connect it to the engine, to Vboxes, Dataloggers, camera's and overlap everything like you want. And most importantly it's damn cheap compared to other options out there

As for display dataloggers I got this recommanded, quite cheap on the basic kits, yet can do a lot:

http://www.plex-tuning.com/

Back