Weekly Challenge Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GlockPants
  • 4,525 comments
I haven't had the chance to do the weeklies yet but I know last time the Gr B race was there it took quite a few tries to beat it. I tried different cars but I ended up using the new WRX Gr B even with that I was too slow. The thing that helped me was making sure I didn't go too wide on the turn where you come out of the pit tunnel. Once Id id that I was able to make good time on the track. Hopefully that little tidbit helps someone out

kjb
I haven't had the chance to do the weeklies yet but I know last time the Gr B race was there it took quite a few tries to beat it. I tried different cars but I ended up using the new WRX Gr B even with that I was too slow. The thing that helped me was making sure I didn't go too wide on the turn where you come out of the pit tunnel. Once Id id that I was able to make good time on the track. Hopefully that little tidbit helps someone out
Honestly I found the biggest time gain on the AI is from the start line to the corner you mention, you can gain multiple seconds on them through that section if you really push it with a car on like 150/170 downforce.

I remember when this race first showed up, I did it with a Subaru Gr. B (normal difficulty)

One pit for gas only, didn't change the tyres. So I could close the gap on the classic Audi Gr. B.

I'll try it out later and see if the stratey still works.
I didn't use the Subaru group B, just the new one that came out recently.
One thing is certain, am not gonna try it again.

20970603340453825.jpg
20970724735729530.jpg
20970588059698601.jpg

Finished a best of 12th due to the R31 pitting at the finish. 650bhp/1260kg, FM2. Pit stop half distance. RM at the start and switched to RS. Did three races with various changing conditions during the last four laps in all three. Wish this was the “real” Calsonic car just to have a racing tank. Anyway, had nostalgic fun.
IMG_5241.jpeg

20970726216383395.jpg

Finished P2 in the stock powered NSX on RH. Might try fuel management and see if a no stop can work for me.

I only did the Red Bull Ring 10 lapper. Horrible janky frame rates. I checked my TV remote and it showed between 71 and 89 frames per seconds. I checked my usual Le Mans race and it was back to 120 FPS. Anybody else noticed that?

I only did the Red Bull Ring 10 lapper. Horrible janky frame rates. I checked my TV remote and it showed between 71 and 89 frames per seconds. I checked my usual Le Mans race and it was back to 120 FPS. Anybody else noticed that?
And I thought my internet was messing up when I was watching my replay. I noticed some lag in a few areas of my replay. Weird.

Another ok week. Skipping Eiger as I haven't figured it out since the first time this weekly race came out.
Anyway:
RBR in one of my 787's
It was going to be an easy uneventful one, until the rain came out of nowhere at the end of lap 5. Just a crazy downpour. By then I was already in 4th and 1-2-3 were struggling in the rain so an easy overtake. Pitted for IM's and never saw them again. Closest was Tidge by about 34 seconds.
Red Bull Ring__3 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Kyoto in my BTCC 195 hp 240. Decent win by about 5 seconds.
Kyoto Driving Park - Yamagiwa_ (5) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Dragon Trail was fun. RS with only an ECU tune. I had an easier time driving the Mono at the Brands race. It's tough without aero in this car because when you go out of control, you're done! lol Won by about 11 seconds.
Dragon Trail - Seaside__1 (6) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Willow was a mess. What used to be my go-to car for this and other CS races is now f'ed after the 1.49 update. My car has gone up to almost 403pp so had to dial it down a bit. Thus only finished 3rd down 5 seconds. Another lap and I would have gotten them. I'll see if I can set-up a new car this week. Still no idea how these AI cars have the wings and are still "400pp".
Willow Springs International Raceway_ Streets of Willow Springs_ by 2cam16, on Flickr

Tonight I completed the weekly Eiger Challenges. 😅

For Eiger I used the Subaru Gr. B, RH tyres, FM1, one pit at lap 8.

When I pitted, I went for gas only. Didn't change the tyres. That helped me close the gap to the Audi. By accident, I let the crew refuel an extra liter and half of gas, which put me back in the track 3 seconds behind the leader after he pits at lap 9.

Had I been more careful with it or even had driven a faster stint before the pit I'm sure I would've left the pits ahead of the leader. I was still able to catch and pass it right in the next lap anyways.

Final results (normal difficulty)
19211ee732a14-0e321DC53D8D226824E.5AF533D2220C5786_message_442080525515029_1726877052793.jpg

Lap times
19211ee92a41-0e321DC53D8D226824E.5AF533D2220C5786_message_442080534822288_1726877089149.jpg

19211eeab7f18-0e321DC53D8D226824E.5AF533D2220C5786_message_442080527669877_1726877061210.jpg

The final ticket gave me a Porsche Spyder 918. I already have one, but I'll keep the extra unit I got today.

Too many repeats this week for me, and as much as I enjoy Eiger in the Gr.B cars, we need a break from that track for a while. Mono race was really easy, remembered to switch back to the stock tyres and won without issue, car has absolutely no traction though as I was getting wheelspin in 4th gear at 160 kph. Neo Classic races can be a bit of a mix, some are really hard and others are easy. Usually Red Bull Ring is pretty easy with the weather which gives you some different options with cars. I ran my tuned R32 (around 760 PP) and pitted on lap 5 for fuel but I also saw rain coming so I switched to IM and had to baby them for a lap and a half until it rained. The AI got caught out and 4WD in the wet helped me catch up a lot of time, didn't win by much as the 787B managed to pick IM tyres just at the right time but I still had enough pace. Kei races need to be CS or higher, would free up engine swapped cars etc for use, and I'd like to see them at least tweak the suggested PP for some races because Kyoto has cars 15% or more over that number.

Weekly cars:
full

Please do not give up...
I prefer Eiger in normal version, the reverse one at the uphill sector is killing me .
I had a lot of fun with previous Porsche tin car which i run more than 30 times !!!
But this one nope , am bouncing almost in every lap to catch the leader and you need heavy horse power to win this damn thing.
Other than single sitter nothing seems to be attractive.

I prefer to run Nismo 400R stock in custom race at Tokyo east clockwise for the upcoming race at Class of titans for Sunday.

I think sony leave ps plus free for some days so if you like ( and anyone else of course) you can join us .

Last edited:
IF I do this week's challenges the game will be in easy mode and I will be in crash car mode😎
Well, that was the plan. Didn't work out well.

Race 1 - Yamagiwa - Easy Mode
My plan was indeed to crash other cars and maybe get some nice pics. So I chose the Bugatti, did about 1.5 laps, stopped, turned around and waited for P2 to appear on the horizon. Then I drove towards him for a nice frontal crash. Did I get a nice pic? No! Did I get a obscure pic? Yes! Was this fun? No!
1000014925.png

Next race would have been Kei Cars at Willow Springs. But as soon as I started the race, I remembered. I remembered that I did this on hard mode for the Kei Car menu book and that I hated this race so much that I swore to myself to never drive there again.
So it was clear that I will only do 3 races this week.

Race 2 - Red Bull Ring - Easy Mode
I wanted a non-stop race so I chose the (downtuned) 787B. Other cars are really slow on easy mode here so I wasn't even racing but rather just cruising. At lap 6 rain was coming. Short, but heavy, rainmeter showed 2/3. But I said non-stop, so I stayed out on slicks. I spun out 2 times but since I was almost a minute ahead of P2 there was no chance of not winning this.
1000014926.png

Race 3 - Dragon Trail - Hard Mode
No fun for me today on easy mode, so I switched back to hard.
First I used my maxed out Mono on RMs. Easy win, no challenge.
1000014927.png

So I switched to my other Mono. SS tires, customizable ECU, Semi-Racing silencer. Now this was more of a challenge and it took me 2 tries to win this. I'm not a fan of this car! It's slippery, it's lacking traction and, worst of all, it has awful brakes.
Also, the payout of this race is a bad joke and another huge sign how PD is trying to push Eiger. The Porsche One Make last week paid about double the amount and it was about the same length.
1000014928.png

So, that's all for this week. Didn't have much fun this time tbh. I hope next week gets better and I hope we don't see Eiger again. Nordschleife would be nice! Nordschleife is always nice!

Last edited:
Hello again, it's been a long time but I've been completely captured by Persona 5 Royal and Astrobot after it and I stayed away from GT for a while. And I've come back only to see once again Group B at Eiger? Lucky me 😅

Anyways here is what the randomizer picked for me:

Screenshot_20240921-145949.png

Not sure the Impreza will be up to the task at Eiger, since last time with the Sport Quattro I barely won, but we will see.

Ok, here we go again, my race notes :

Race 1 at Kyoto Yamagiwa / Aston Martin DB5
Might be me of course but ... the car's not capable of doing what the 007 movie car does. :lol: Anyway, cool running !

WC_240919_R1.jpg

Car specs : full stock setup / 445 PP
Race specs : RT 4:16,133 / FL 2:07,165 / P1 / CRB

Race 2 at Streets of Willow Springs / Daihatsu Copen
I whole-heartedly enjoyed this, watching @Pigems' video made me smile : Love these little buggers, love the track, great event !

WC_240919_R2.jpg

Car specs : stock setup upgraded with CS tires ( mandatory ) and high range turbo / power restricted to 355 PP for a closer race
Race specs : RT 7:50,044 / FL 1:32,885 / P1 / CRB

Race 3 at Dragon Trail Seaside / BAC mono
Upside : DTS is one of the greatest tracks PD has ever created. Downside : The ( stock ) BAC is everything but straight forward and I needed a lot a laps to adapt.

WC_240919_R3.jpg

Car specs : full stock setup / 642 PP
Race specs : RT 9:06,635 / FL 1:48,420 / P1 / CRB

Race 4 at Red Bull Ring / Nissan R92CP
Business as usual at RBR with the big Nissan. Rain set in at the end of lap 3, just in time to pit for IM tires and a bit of fuel. The AI did stupid things so what could I do but win.

WC_240919_R4.jpg

Car specs : fully tuned to 799 PP by @Turbodatsun
Race specs : RT 15:37,678 / FL 1:26,455 / P1 / no CRB

Race 5 at Eiger Nordwand ( reverse ) :D / Subaru WRX Gr.B
Essential ! For the very first time I felt like having found a good and fluent way of driving these esses. Struggle turned into fun !

WC_240919_R5.jpg

Car specs : stock setup upgraded with RM tires / 664 PP
Race specs : RT 13:29,130 / FL 1:04,464 / P1 / no CRB

The 6-star-ticket gave me a Volcano Red Aston Martin One-77 that I sold immediately. :sly:

@skydragon49
I tried to replicate race 5 the way you did it with the stock WRX at hard race mode. I had to pit one lap earlier and maybe it's because I got into traffic then but I couldn't catch the Audi. Here's my race chart :

WC_240919_B5b.jpg

Since I've found fun now in tackling the reverse esses, I might run this a couple more times ... :cheers:

@ROCKET JOE good job mate!

Glad to know the strategy is viable in hard mode. If it wasn't for the traffic you would've got it.

I believe low 1:06 laps or even 1:05 is possible with one single set of hard tyres which would boost the results. I'm starting to think about the medium tyres as an alternative as well.

Last edited:
037FF6CF-980F-4AC4-AB8A-1523104050AB.png

Eiger reverse Gr.B? It's Groundhog Weekly Challenge!! Somewhat fittingly, I keep trying this event and failing miserably, leading to an existential dread until I feel like throwing myself in front of a truck.

Announcing Bill Murray GIF

-

At least I managed to clear the event on Hard mode this time, Audi Quattro/RM tyres/FM 3 - I ran out of fuel about 5 seconds before the finish line but held on to 3rd spot at least.

Back