Gran Turismo 7’s New Physics Are Not Entirely Going Well

• Thread starter Famine
  • 398 comments
It's the Countersteer Assist. I think they turned it off. I ran with zero assistance for a couple months and this is exactly what happened with no Countersteer Assist. You can still brake hard at first but as your speed drops you need to let up. Less speed means less down force to keep the butt planted.
Are you suggesting there was an element of countersteer assist always "on" previously? Because the option is still there and I definitely always had it off prior to the update.

Either way, the way cars snap side to side with the assist off is completely unnatural and unrealistic.

The Toyota Space program is going well!

Willow Springs International Raceway_ Big Willow__6.jpeg

These new physics have made the game borderline unplayable. It seems like every car now has issues under braking, some seem to lock up the front wheels while others the rear steps out. All cars also seem to bobble around regardless of how smooth the track is and changing dampening, spring rates or ride height doesn’t really make a difference. The ffb is all messed up, there is no longer any weight transfer or loading feel in turns, the ffb just becomes super light like the front wheels are locked up or scrubbing which you used to be able to feel but now it’s just numb. Been playing around with the settings on my wheel and can’t get it to feel anything like it used to. The only thing that seems to make it better is adding downforce.

I don’t understand why do people have compeletly opposite impressions about it. About weight transfers I do feel like this time it actually exist amd works. For me this physics are much more natural and realistic.

I don’t understand why do people have compeletly opposite impressions about it. About weight transfers I do feel like this time it actually exist amd works. For me this physics are much more natural and realistic.
Is it the wheel manufacturer? I have an F1 Podium, I didn't change a single setting on my wheel after the update and my wheel feels great, I can feel a lot of weight transfer in the car and modulation in the track now. Driving GR cars isn't much different but street cars really woke up, you can feel the tires breaking loose, then sliding, then gaining traction again. The suspension on the cars I have tried so far feel softer.

Is it the wheel manufacturer? I have an F1 Podium, I didn't change a single setting on my wheel after the update and my wheel feels great, I can feel a lot of weight transfer in the car and modulation in the track now. Driving GR cars isn't much different but street cars really woke up, you can feel the tires breaking loose, then sliding, then gaining traction again. The suspension on the cars I have tried so far feel softer.

I have Thrustmaster T300 and feel the same as you.

I had a custom race of jumping cars at the ‘ring and one car in particular, while watching the replay I am 100% sure it went to Frankfurt and Austria and back again at the Nurburgring via cross country at not so safe speeds. I think I even saw the whole of Europe from the air!

Last edited:
"Gran Turismo 7’s New Physics Are Not Entirely Going Well"? Oh I beg to differ. This is an absolutely glorious update; possibly the best ever. I hope when it's fixed, it's added in as an extra mode.
I mean, yeah, the glitch can effect things. I haven't experienced it personally as it seems to effect cars with super stiff suspension settings... but that vid of the bus falling off the cliff and shooting up like a literal rocket, smoke and all, is just fantastic! It couldn't have been planned better.

I'm 100% in for all of this!

It's a shame that this fairly harmless bug (under specific and deliberate settings) will be jumped on by PD, and almost inevitably lead to them fudging the physics to fix it.

It just feels like we'll end up with 99.9% of situations being worse (you know, the ones we'll actually play) to fix this 0.1% scenario, such is PD.

The fact this gets jumped on immediately despite actually negatively impacting nobody, when so many other crappy simplistic bugs have been ignored from the outset that make a mockery of custom races for example.

I know some of you younger folks are probably tired of games being broken are are triggered by things like, but I've been playing GT for 25 years and I can live with one ACTUALLY, REAL and HILARIOUS mis-step. I think PD has earned a bit of grace.
Finally. Well said 👍
There's a heap of whiny moany commentary here - it's just a cutesy blunder really. 😁

However, I get that some kids base their lives around getting the perfect lap and if everything isn't perfect they get triggered and suffer an internal gasket failure, but hey.

I'm just stoked there's a new 'old' track to enjoy - and I do - the bonus of the carpark is another cutesy PD classic.
The new old cars are fantastic too!

For us aged and fat old timers the nostalgia factor is right up there - I'll be happily entertained by this content for a good while now.

The question is simple: Before issuing an update, do developers test it? How is it possible that PD did not notice that cars fly? A big and important update like this should be tested at least 2 weeks before sending to the customers.

It's a shame that this fairly harmless bug (under specific and deliberate settings) will be jumped on by PD, and almost inevitably lead to them fudging the physics to fix it.

It just feels like we'll end up with 99.9% of situations being worse (you know, the ones we'll actually play) to fix this 0.1% scenario, such is PD.

The fact this gets jumped on immediately despite actually negatively impacting nobody, when so many other crappy simplistic bugs have been ignored from the outset that make a mockery of custom races for example.
This! So many people are making an unnecessary big deal out of this. The reason is simple: publicity.

You pretty much have to actively try to break the physics. The real negative effects are to pretty much no one. I too worry they might mess something up in order to address the issue.

The new physics feel so much better to me. The cars feel more lively and more real than before.

This! So many people are making an unnecessary big deal out of this. The reason is simple: publicity.

You pretty much have to actively try to break the physics. The real negative effects are to pretty much no one. I too worry they might mess something up in order to address the issue.

The new physics feel so much better to me. The cars feel more lively and more real than before.
Agree 👍

I think I now understand why there's such a huge discrepancy in regards to opinions.

I encountered a bug today where all cars start to understeer like crazy. They feel like they weigh 50 ton.

I'll do some further testing.

Last edited:
You pretty much have to actively try to break the physics.

The cars feel more lively and more real than before.
For the sake of the argument take a stock Celica or Jimny to any track and do some hard acceleration and braking and then watch the replay and then argue what you see is in any way, shape or form anything like you’d experience in the real world.

Body roll was too tame before, but at least for road cars PD overshot the mark by a mile and then some.

I do feel however dirt driving is tons of fun now, MR cars feel great in general and Gr. 4 cars have gotten more lively and fun across the board.

For the sake of the argument take a stock Celica or Jimny to any track and do some hard acceleration and braking and then watch the replay and then argue what you see is in any way, shape or form anything like you’d experience in the real world.
Think I know what you're referring to. Used Jimny in a weekly mission race on Eiger. The nose dove A LOT under braking, but I did put racing tires on it 😅

In my mind... this was semi-expected. I did put racing tires on something that should only be run on comfort ties (at least in stock form).

Last edited:
I've found that on controller the front tires communicate nothing to me, the understeer is horrendous and drifting feels a lot more like the early release physics of the game. The area between oversteer and facing backwards is a lot less forgiving not to mention that braking/throttle off gives me really bad bump steer. My abarth 500 just swings around if I even think about slowing down.

Think I know what you're referring to. Used Jimny in a weekly mission race on Eiger. The nose dove A LOT under braking, but I did put racing tires on it 😅

In my mind... this was semi-expected. I did put racing tires on something that should only be run on comfort ties (at least in stock form).
It happens with stock tyres as well. There is a couple of areas where I feel the new update is a huge improvement but stuff like the violent nose diving on some road cars just breaks the immersion for me.

Latest Posts

Back