Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,292 comments
Just because the GTWS events aren't racing on Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, doesn't mean it isn't coming.

If the update drops on the Thursday before, then it only allows for a few day's worth of practice time. PD might feel that it would be unfair to force expert racers to race at a brand new track they aren't familiar with.

Alternatively (and this is a more sensible option from a marketing perspective) PD might be holding back the update so they can preview the new track at the event.

We are long, long overdue a new track.

The schedule for the event is out. There is no new track.

Which diffuculty were you on? I usually find some descent competition on hard, as long as my car is not OP. I find some events much better as far as the racing goes, but yeah, some of the events lack in that aspect.
I immediately set the difficulty as high as it could go in every way I knew how when I fired up the game for the first time near launch. I didn’t find any challenge in standard campaign races, I had to be 100-200pp below the cap/recommendation to make it challenging almost every time, and it again was the same loop of trying to meet the leader in the last few corners. One rare exception was my LS swapped Silvia that was able to race and share corners with the AI in a later (but not final) championship, I think WTC700? The opponents were Group 4 cars.

I’d already seen in the forums how short and underwhelming the campaign was so I took it slow with this play style of making the races harder by entering extra slow cars. I think I spent 3 weeks alone on the Beetle Schwartzwald thing, trying different combos of turbo and antilag and transmission gearing to maximize the powerband, and running the suspension to the absolute limits of peak corner grip without it bottoming out and also being controllable. That really pushed the limit of the slow car strategy. I found it worth my time cuz as long as I finished the races every time I’d still be pooling up some credits that I could use on cars post-campaign. I only kinda sped up the process near the end cuz I wanted to participate in the engine Bonanza back in the day, so I quickly near-maxed out an road car F type for the final championship rather than something a bit more cursed.

But essentially, because I took my time in the standard direct campaign path, I didn’t try the chili races or missions before I lost access to my housemates PS5 that we were sharing at the time (and ironically I think two or three of them had the campaign finished before I did, and I was the only Gran Turismo nerd in the house). I didn’t get around to trying out most of the content non-essential to the final book, and since my moveout I haven’t been in a position where I felt like dropping $500 beyond bills and debt payments was a good idea, let alone on a console just to come back to a game that didn’t appear to have changed anything I had a gripe with (but I’m thinking I might be able hop back in now near the end of the year or early into the new year). Before I left I did some custom races that were mildly more entertaining, but without a fleshed out garage at the time it was still somewhat limited.

I know there’s better AI racing in specific scenarios and select curated events, but it shouldn’t be this hard to dig for certain parts of the game to have enjoyable close racing in a racing game.

True there is still tomorrow, but with no server mainterance up it feels more likely that the update could drop around the live event, it happen last year once to.

You bring up many great points, but forza motorsport is not better as a career mode is concerned, its worse, ac barely has any career at all, project cars just like ac those not have any progression involve with the cars or any option to upgrade,

I dont think people playing gt4 on emulators for arcade mode, its for career mode clearly witch was fantastic in gt4, and looking on the mods like specll and re-tuned for gt4 makes things really intresting.

A new gt game could solve a lot if its done right, specially if it means if gt8 would have full sophy ai integration. While new cars and tracks dosent solve a lot for gt7 it makes it more enjoyable to have cars we want,
But I wasn't referring to campaign mode, I was referring to 'Free Mode' 'Quick race' 'Arcade Mode' etc...

Gran Turismo 7 has a great and very varied campaign mode, but my complaint and that of many is about the Arcade mode, where said mode is very poorly treated since GT5

Instead of moving forward they have gone backwards in this mode, they could have made a perfect Arcade mode for Gran Turismo 7, in the style of Gran Turismo 4 but updated

After all, the GT7 world map (the island) is a tribute to Gran Turismo 4 (Although I prefer the first version that PD showed)

So, if you have fulfilled many things in the campaign and events, why don't you do the same with Arcade Mode?

Let's remember that before Spec 2.0 you couldn't even change cars before going to a custom race, time trial, drifting or quick race...

Now we can change cars before a race in Quick race mode, custom race, drifting, etc... But that should have been at the beginning! (And they only let you choose the cars in your garage)

What I mean by Assetto Corsa and Forza Motorsport is that in both games you have all the cars unlocked without having to do anything

Many people don't want to or can't and they simply want to take a car and race to their liking and test the sensations behind the wheel of each of the more than 500 cars that the game has.

And it's sad that this Gran Turismo doesn't have it, and in fact it's the only car game that doesn't allow you to drive the car you want from the beginning.

And Gran Turismo 4 is played by many people on YouTube thanks to its wonderful Arcade mode, many people love it, and its music is fantastic (and even a meme) and with the mods it improves a lot

I would love for Yamauchi to copy exactly the same Arcade mode from Gran Turismo 4 with Gran Turismo 8, but I have been waiting for many years and I have lost hope

But I will keep waiting because despite the problems I love Gran Turismo and I hope it recovers the Arcade mode as it deserves.

Just because there isn't a new track in the events schedule, doesn't mean a new track isn't coming, though?

I mean sure?

You said: Alternatively (and this is a more sensible option from a marketing perspective) PD might be holding back the update so they can preview the new track at the event.

To which I replied that the schedule of the event is out and your theory is out of the window.

🤷‍♂️

And Gran Turismo 4 is played by many people on YouTube thanks to its wonderful Arcade mode, many people love it, and its music is fantastic (and even a meme) and with the mods it improves a lot

I would love for Yamauchi to copy exactly the same Arcade mode from Gran Turismo 4 with Gran Turismo 8, but I have been waiting for many years and I have lost hope

But I will keep waiting because despite the problems I love Gran Turismo and I hope it recovers the Arcade mode as it deserves.
The draw of GT4 really isn't it's arcade mode, I'm afraid. It's the massive career with dozens of branching paths that keeps people coming back, and that's absolutely the biggest lesson PD needs to take from it's continued fame.

The draw of GT4 really isn't it's arcade mode, I'm afraid. It's the massive career with dozens of branching paths that keeps people coming back, and that's absolutely the biggest lesson PD needs to take from it's continued fame.
I understand perfectly, and I know that Gran Turismo 4's GT Mode is perfect

Even so, there are many people enjoying its Arcade mode

But I think that Gran Turismo 7 has a really good campaign and events

The only thing missing is a Arcade Mode Gran Turismo 4 style

It seems you have missed the part where they just released the schedule for the event and there won’t be a new track.
At GTWS events PD usually include promo features from partners, be it VGT’s or what have you. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is previewed in this manner. Either way, something out of the norm appears to be going on with this months update.

There’s also the big unknown regarding what part GT7 will play in Sony’s PS5 Pro reveal. We know Sony doesn’t have any major AAA titles lined up this year so the expectation is upgraded titles will form a major part of their presentation. We’ve already seen what PD did with PSVR2 and Spec II so I would expect at least one more major update beyond the regular monthly fare.
Is there a way to track the number of current GT4 players?

But if a decent amount of people really are still playing, that's cool.
Retro gaming is a niche activity. No one can really track numbers but I’d be surprised if it was more than a few dozen active players.

Meanwhile GT7 is currently the 21st most played PS5/PS4 title and the leading Sony 1st Party game after Helldivers 2.

Gaming today is a completely different beast to the PS2 days. You can always learn from whats gone before, but many things are viewed through rose tinted glasses.

Last edited:
That’s why I’ll take cars over tracks. I’ll work with whatever layout. I just need to replicate my grids.

Anyway, latest icons up the top.
IMG_4416.jpeg

But I wasn't referring to campaign mode, I was referring to 'Free Mode' 'Quick race' 'Arcade Mode' etc...

Gran Turismo 7 has a great and very varied campaign mode, but my complaint and that of many is about the Arcade mode, where said mode is very poorly treated since GT5

Instead of moving forward they have gone backwards in this mode, they could have made a perfect Arcade mode for Gran Turismo 7, in the style of Gran Turismo 4 but updated

After all, the GT7 world map (the island) is a tribute to Gran Turismo 4 (Although I prefer the first version that PD showed)

So, if you have fulfilled many things in the campaign and events, why don't you do the same with Arcade Mode?

Let's remember that before Spec 2.0 you couldn't even change cars before going to a custom race, time trial, drifting or quick race...

Now we can change cars before a race in Quick race mode, custom race, drifting, etc... But that should have been at the beginning! (And they only let you choose the cars in your garage)

What I mean by Assetto Corsa and Forza Motorsport is that in both games you have all the cars unlocked without having to do anything

Many people don't want to or can't and they simply want to take a car and race to their liking and test the sensations behind the wheel of each of the more than 500 cars that the game has.

And it's sad that this Gran Turismo doesn't have it, and in fact it's the only car game that doesn't allow you to drive the car you want from the beginning.

So you was talking about arcade mode my bad, i never use it so its not a big trouble for me, their is other car games besides gran turismo, where you have to buy or win the cars to have them witch is both forza horizon and the crew series,

The most important improvment for gt8 would in my eyes be a more proper career mode with sophy ai intergration.
And it feels like pd is waiting to put any effort into single player until they can put sophy ai integreted into it.

At GTWS events PD usually include promo features from partners, be it VGT’s or what have you. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is previewed in this manner. Either way, something out of the norm appears to be going on with this month’s update

If a new track was there and ready to show they would race on it. It would show up as “TBA” in the schedule as it always has.

I don’t think anything out of the norm is going on with this month’s update - I think there is just no update this month.

Are you kidding? I got back and play the first 4 GTs just because the career modes were just so much fun. I've probably have played GT2 alone 10-100x over GT7 this year alone.
Really though this is so wild to hear. Every time I boot up GT4 I find another thing to hyperfocus on for the next three weeks.

This.

There are ways to credits people are not taking advantage of I think.
Well yes, but no.
While significantly better players may only need a single lap to achieve the times required, I am not one of those, no guessing where the cut off is:
The time it would take me to get a gold TT to earn 2 millions each week is significantly higher than just doing 3 Tokyo runs.
CE might be a different story as a singular track inclucing sectors with a few trial and error laps propably is faster than 23 minutes (solely aiming for the money).

Anyway, taking away the grind and simply doing it because you want to would be the far end of the solution.

A summary of what's going on with the seemingly non-existent June update and the old Circuit gilles Villeneuve chestnut - plus the potential that for this month, "Famine's law of inconvenience" may have been transferred to me...

from what we know it could arrive next week although not as likely, as next month
Probably, as they often do, PDi chose to focus on the GTWS and moved the update
In a few days we will know how much actually but for now with a "presumed" month's break, we can expect great things to come

Wasn't there an occasion where Polyphony originally intended to use a new circuit at an event, but they had to change their plans as the circuit still needed a bit more development time?

Back