Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 40,914 comments
That's one race more than Ridge Racer 6's career mode. How many races did GT3 or GT4 have again?

But the most absolute overkill career mode in a racing game would be Forza Motorsport 4 with over 1,260 races (including the Porsche expansion).
Honestly, its not about amount of races, but it's structure and progression.

Many modern racing games, like GT7 and Forza failed at it. The only good thing about GT7's career is these multiple chilli-pepper races, they're so good...I would even question why we need Sophy in the first place, but apparently it's much better to get dripfeed of 3 events per month and of course FOMO weekly races...well one of five of them could be something new...yay.

You know my reply was engagement right?

Please do show me where in the License centre is says they're prerequisites to entering races? the License centre's purposes is for people to get better at driving, it's forcing people to do the first license even before you unlock sport mode... why? to try make you a better driver. Going through the next licenses helps you hone those skills further, that's their purpose. Yikes its almost as if you lack any critical thinking and follow a mob of "Game Bad" because it's not an identical replica of GT4
The penalty system should be reviewed, as well as the driving fairness advancement system.I would put the driver's license in points, and when you lose your driver's license points you have to take back your driver's licenses

236 races built up after 2 years of updates, which only surpasses the race count of 215 in Gran Turismo 2. A ps1 game made in 1999...

That's still not enough compared to what Gran Turismo 3 & 4 had, add an extra 200 events and get rid of the chase-the-rabbit system. Then it may be decent.

Oh and it should have proper endurance events added that aren't one and done.

Speaking of James May, I would unironically like the Dacia Sandero in GT7.

One of the most curious parts of Japanese car culture is Dajiban racing. It would honestly be hilarious to see a Dajiban in GT7.
I've never even heard of that before but holy holy schnikes count me in!:drool:

roa100118fea-dajiban-06-1536810808.jpg

Nope, not at all.

GT7 also has those 1 hour human comedy mission races, but they're one and done events basically.

But you're right, it shouldn't be that difficult to build up more single-player events than the rate they're doing. They could easily fix that with the new events we see in weekly challenges by making those permanent, but they don't for some reason.

It feels like a case of purposely doing it to retain player retention, but I don't see the financial gain from that.
Another fix would be an event editor: you create the event, set the rules, classes, cars that can be used, points system and schedule. You can name your event, set a bunch of liveries from your gallery or the community as an option and then share it: Poliphony could create a curated area with a constant rotation of community events and wouldn't need to bother with, you know, feeding their own damn game since the community would do this with much more creativity and scope.

But this is way too much common sense, so no.

Another fix would be an event editor: you create the event, set the rules, classes, cars that can be used, points system and schedule. You can name your event, set a bunch of liveries from your gallery or the community as an option and then share it: Poliphony could create a curated area with a constant rotation of community events and wouldn't need to bother with, you know, feeding their own damn game since the community would do this with much more creativity and scope.
And another thing that would be great in this kind of community thing : being able to share the full tuning of a car.

Would be great too, to be able to race with friends in a lobby and have AI cars too.

That's one race more than Ridge Racer 6's career mode. How many races did GT3 or GT4 have again?

But the most absolute overkill career mode in a racing game would be Forza Motorsport 4 with over 1,260 races (including the Porsche expansion).
Here's every mainline GT's count by my count. Only races and championships are counted, so things like missions and GT5/6s special events are not.

GT1 59
GT2 228
GT3 337
GT4 511
GT5 141 (A-spec only, it doesn't get double credit for B-spec being separate versions of the same races)
GT6 201
GTS 301
GT7 236

So from a length perspective GT4 is the longest by far, then GT3 and Sport, then 2/6/7 all kind of together, then GT5 needing B-spec to pad itself, then GT1 last which is forgiveable as game 1 in the series.

Here's every mainline GT's count by my count. Only races and championships are counted, so things like missions and GT5/6s special events are not.

GT1 59
GT2 228
GT3 337
GT4 511
GT5 141 (A-spec only, it doesn't get double credit for B-spec being separate versions of the same races)
GT6 201
GTS 301
GT7 236

So from a length perspective GT4 is the longest by far, then GT3 and Sport, then 2/6/7 all kind of together, then GT5 needing B-spec to pad itself, then GT1 last which is forgiveable as game 1 in the series.
This is probably why GT4 is so fondly remembered. It had sooooo much to do. It's not about the car count, it's about what the hell you do with what you have. In GT7's case, since it has been drip fed it has never felt overwhelming. Even if it would have come all at once, it is still not impressive at all. Such a wasted potential.

Last edited:
Why are some people talking about GT8 this early? I know GT7 got revealed less than 3 years after Sport debuted, but I really don't expect an GT8 announcement until at least late 2025.
Because the next game is at least in pre-production already and PD isn't the sort of developer which overhauls games: what we got now is GT7 done, bar some content additions. There's no point hoping for a new carreer or singleplayer experience in the current game because one isn't coming.

This means we could realistically see improvements on GT7's shortcomings in its successor, thus we are talking about it.

Last edited:
People are going to end up hating GT8 anyway, and in 10 years time someone will probably make an opinion piece video called:
"Why GT7 is the best modern Gran Turismo"

It seems in a lot of different franchises, communities always consider the current game to be either the worst, or at least bad. Maybe that's genuinely the state of gaming at the moment, or maybe that's more of a community culture thing. Perhaps a combination of both.
People could be more likely to voice their dislike of an active product in the hope that their feedback makes a difference, compared to an inactive product where there's no chance of the developer making changes.

For the record, I am actually hopeful for GT8, but it's not like I'm personally dissatisfied with GT7 really even if I think it can be improved.

Last edited:
Judging a game's quality based on the number of events is stupid.
It isn't when you consider how quickly they lapse. Bear in mind, this is the game which issued the statement "Gran Turismo is back."

That - whether you think it foolish or not - laid the expectation of a more traditional single player experience in terms of events. Couple that with footage of Trial Mountain, a UI which had a similar layout to GT4, and an expectation of a lot of events was set in motion.

At no point did it appear a game focused on a mode barely anyone plays (Sport mode) . Players have therefore been disappointed. This is before you consider the terrible in game economy. Manipulative FOMO car rotation. The scummy flexible pricing of certain cars. The drip feeding of events. The drip feeding of cars. The broken penalty system. The broken lobby system. The antiquated chase the rabbit race format. The unrealistic rolling starts. The absence of qualifying in 99% of races... I could go on

Last edited:
It isn't when you consider how quickly they lapse. Bear in mind, this is the game which issued the statement "Gran Turismo is back."

That - whether you think it foolish or not - laid the expectation of a more traditional single player experience in terms of events. Couple that with footage of Trial Mountain, a UI which had a similar layout to GT4, and an expectation of a lot of events was set in motion.

At no point did it appear a game focused on a mode barely anyone plays (Sport mode) . Players have therefore been disappointed. This is before you consider the terrible in game economy. Manipulative FOMO car rotation. The scummy flexible pricing of certain cars. The drip feeding of events. The drip feeding of cars. The broken penalty system. The broken lobby system. The antiquated chase the rabbit race format. The unrealistic rolling starts. The absence of qualifying in 99% of races... I could go on
Are you even trying to see the good in this game?

Well, 240+ races for a 2 year old game that is still supported is not that bad... It is longer than both GT2 and GT6, and the number is still growing thanks to monthly updates. They could easily reach the 300 mark by 2025-2026 once the support gets phased out. And that is not counting the weekly challenges, the Sport mode, lobbies and Missions. GT7 is indeed a pretty large and longeve game that is still growing and developing.

Altough, I agree with you for the rest regarding the drip feeding, the broken economy, the penalties, chase the rabbit AI etc.

Hopefully, Sophy is going to be implemented in custom races and maybe in the entire single player career as an optional difficulty level. It wouldn't be a bad choice at all in order to make the game more challenging. As far as the penalty is concerned, I really hope they are gonna adjust it ASAP. The economy will remain lackluster as it always was, unless they introduce further well paid endurance races which may happen in this or the next big update at the end of this year. We shall see!

Are you even trying to see the good in this game?
The physics are excellent. Graphical fidelity is excellent. In terms of actual driving, great. I liken it to being shown an amazing looking Sunday roast, yet when eaten you realise it is made from dog meat.
Well, 240+ races for a 2 year old game that is still supported is not that bad... It is longer than both GT2 and GT6, and the number is still growing thanks to monthly updates. They could easily reach the 300 mark by 2025-2026 once the support gets phased out. And that is not counting the weekly challenges, the Sport mode, lobbies and Missions. GT7 is indeed a pretty large and longeve game that is still growing and developing.

Altough, I agree with you for the rest regarding the drip feeding, the broken economy, the penalties, chase the rabbit AI etc.

Hopefully, Sophy is going to be implemented in custom races and maybe in the entire single player career as an optional difficulty level. It wouldn't be a bad choice at all in order to make the game more challenging. As far as the penalty is concerned, I really hope they are gonna adjust it ASAP. The economy will remain lackluster as it always was, unless they introduce further well paid endurance races which may happen in this or the next big update at the end of this year. We shall see!
That number of events is way behind many entries, plus very few are what can be considered championships. For an offline player, you pretty complete the tutorial then it's game over. Sophy can't fix that, judging by Sophy II... it can't fix anything

Last edited:
Back