Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,111 comments
I was playing Astro's Playroom yesterday as I had only completed the first level. My focus was solely on GT7 at the time I got my PS5, so I didn't take the time to appreciate it. Seeing all the news around the new game, I decided to re-install Playroom and complete it.

I genuinely don't think I've had a more fun gaming experience.
I wasn't going to get the new game because I felt I wasn't really a platform gamer anymore, but the Playroom has completely sold me. It almost feels insulting to call it a demo it's that good, so what Team Asobi could do with a "proper" title is quite a thought.

I'll be getting the new Astro Bot game as soon as I can now, and I highly recommend other PS5 users go back to Astro's Playroom if you're unsure about getting it yourself. Maybe you're like me and don't think platformers are normally your style, but end up having a blast.

But alas, this is the GT7 news/discussion thread so I'll not go into further detail.

Last edited:
Every piece of technology is a gamechanger or significant improvement if it's used in it's 100% ideal perfect scenario with no downgrades. Unfortunately, I have never seen it implemented in a manner that to me, makes it worth any of the time and effort that has been put into developing it. It always looks like crap.
You seem to be referring to upscaling in general terms, of which there are many subpar types.

Hardware based AI upscaling has the twin benefit of being much more performative, ie running at an internal resolution of 1080p-1440p. But delivering a final image that is as good, if not better, than native 4K. Unlike the introduction of the SSD or RT hardware, a dev does not need to specifically cater for PSSR. Like DLSS on PC, PSSR is plug & play, the technology will improve as Sony roll out more refined versions.

Nvidia's dominance of the PC GPU market is not because they are delivering 'faster' cards. It's down to their AI tech, which is why they gatekeep it to their latest cards, when it could run on older ones.

Last edited:
You seem to be referring to upscaling in general terms, of which there are many subpar types.

Hardware based AI upscaling has the twin benefit of being much more performative, ie running at an internal resolution of 1080p-1440p. But delivering a final image that is as good, if not better, than native 4K. Unlike the introduction of the SSD or RT hardware, a dev does not need to specifically cater for PSSR. Like DLSS on PC, PSSR is plug & play, the technology will improve as Sony roll out more refined versions.

Nvidia's dominance of the PC GPU market is not because they are delivering 'faster' cards. It's down to their AI tech, which is why they gatekeep it to their latest cards, when it could run on older ones.
I am referring to DLSS, it looks like crap to me.

Hopefully the replay ray tracing quality is the same during gameplay for GT7 in the PS5 Pro. I wouldn't like to see it downgraded in order to achieve 60FPS, unlike Forza Motorsport or other titles

Upscaled 4K only looks better due to the higher frames you'll typically get vs native 4K. Taking the frame-rate out of the equation though, native 4K will always look superior.

Pretty sure that RT should be the same. The only difference is the higher fps.
Stating the obvious here, but there is zero RT in-game on PS5, RT is in replay mode at 30fps.

But with far superior RT hardware PD could improve the quality across the board. We'll have to see if they add any other RT features other than reflections.

With the better GPU, and particularly PSSR, they could improve the quality of effects and particles. Racing in the rain is the one area where you really notice artifacts, windscreen rain effects aren't the best either.

I was thinking of those effects as well. The dirt and sand being kicked up. Staying on track rather than disappearing after a brief minute. Fresh rubber marks remaining on track.
Not sure about dirt build up on cars over a distance and remaining on cars until washed.

Pretty sure that RT should be the same. The only difference is the higher fps.
GT7 in resolution mode renders natively at 2160p. Using PSSR alone should be able to double the framerate (if not limited by the CPU, which doesn't seem to be the case) since this technique (assuming it's similar to DLSS) can render half or a quarter of the pixels (1440p or 1080p) and upscale the resolution, offering a result similar to the native resolution and in some cases with better results because it eliminates shimmering, for example.
Add to that a 45% faster GPU and special ray tracing units that can double or in some cases triple the ray tracing performance as advertised.

I hope that in addition to the current 60fps resolution mode with ray tracing, this field will be expanded. It would be very beneficial to switch to ray-traced shadows, which would eliminate the current abrupt change in shadow cascades, and as a more subtle improvement, ray-traced ambient occlusion would improve the representation of interior details of vehicles and help to more coherently integrate vehicles and their surroundings.

Last edited:
Most people on Twitter and YouTube are debating about how "stupid" 8K is for Gran Turismo 7 or gaming in general but I think it's a pretty neat feature to have, even though I probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference. These technological experiments from PD have always been pretty interesting.

Last edited:
Most people on Twitter and YouTube are debating about how "stupid" 8K is for Gran Turismo 7 or gaming in general but I think it's a pretty neat feature to have, even though I probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference. These technological experiments from PD have always been pretty interesting.
I sit 2 or 3 feet away from my 4K set and I can't see the pixels. I doubt 8K will ever take off unless it's great big massive outside screen.

I sit 2 or 3 feet away from my 4K set and I can't see the pixels. I doubt 8K will ever take off unless it's great big massive outside screen.
4K display.....Ive looked long & hard at 4k as im using a HD e-motion tv & generally view the game replays & YouTube videos at HD 1080 - but for me when compared, I'm not convinced 4K are an improvement, as i expect, just like in real life, the focus of my eyes if looking at the car should be sharp, but the surroundings be a little out of focus, I find 4K give great sharpness but its an all round sharpness & look flat maybe a bit like animations / cartoons ......or do i need to go to Spec-Savers ?

Last edited:
Finally:
IMG-20240910-WA0000.jpeg

Last one was the 500 miles on ovals. Finally popped yesterday.

So Gran Turismo has become a college sport in Japan it seems.
Not sure if it's a new thing, or if they've been doing it for a while, but I've not heard of it until now.

This is being held the day after the Tokyo live event.

They've been doing these exclusive esports events in Japan for a while now, mostly livestreamed on PlayStation Japan's channel.

Goes without saying that no single title is worth buying a whole system for, but Gran Turismo is one of those that had a lot of sway when it comes to a decision like, 'should I upgrade'

However, while the focus is on ray tracing and 8K, that's never been my personal issue with GT7. At no point have I thought, 'wow, this game is ugly'.

Sure, there has been frame rates issues at certain tracks, but there's currently no suggestion that these will be addressed. I imagine it would only get worse while chasing things like ray tracing (it's not like you can turn off ray tracing in certain sections of the lap)

I've said for a while now, the game needs content (heck, I'd take the content they promised us a few years ago at this point) which as you would imagine, is not dependent on which PlayStation you're playing on...

Upscaled 4K only looks better due to the higher frames you'll typically get vs native 4K. Taking the frame-rate out of the equation though, native 4K will always look superior.
Not necessarily true. With upscaling you can let the graphics engine work on a smaller resolution and use that to add more costly visual effects. So even if the framerate would be the same between native and upscaled, upscale would still have the potential to look better.

Goes without saying that no single title is worth buying a whole system for, but Gran Turismo is one of those that had a lot of sway when it comes to a decision like, 'should I upgrade'

However, while the focus is on ray tracing and 8K, that's never been my personal issue with GT7. At no point have I thought, 'wow, this game is ugly'.

Sure, there has been frame rates issues at certain tracks, but there's currently no suggestion that these will be addressed. I imagine it would only get worse while chasing things like ray tracing (it's not like you can turn off ray tracing in certain sections of the lap)

I've said for a while now, the game needs content (heck, I'd take the content they promised us a few years ago at this point) which as you would imagine, is not dependent on which PlayStation you're playing on...
My thoughts exactly. You'd think this community would have learnt its lesson when talking about potential features and improvements, especially when faced with such a hefty price tag.

Game is so empty, all people can talk about is graphical enhancements...yeah, goodjob Kaz keeping that FOMO spirit alive!
And it's funny, much has been made recently of the fact that the next technological breakthrough will be anything but visual. Talk of improved AI and other things which I have no authority to talk about, yet everyone is still creaming about better graphics.

Go outside! It's beautiful!

Back