Gran Turismo 7 PS5 Pro Update: 8K Graphics, Real-Time Ray-Tracing On Track

• Thread starter Famine
  • 182 comments
I'd consider a PS5 Pro if it allowed for more cars to race against (appreciate not online, due to backwards compatibility).

Being able to run a 30 car grid would be great and open up some great multi-class racing opportunities.

I know it won't happen, but I can dream :P

there is a mode already that you can use and that is 4K120 VRR but with unlocked FPS which base PS5 goes average 90 FPS

and with Pro it has to be 120 fps for most of the time if not locked
Ahh, I know about the 120fps mode as I used it for quite a while but I didn't know it was 4k. I'll read up on it a bit more.

Just read up on it, so there is a 4k120vrr mode., it's weird because I have a 4k TV with vrr and the reason I went back to 60fps is because it looked much sharper. Maybe I had a setting wrong so will try again.

Last edited:
The loading times are worth the upgrade to PS5. PS5-pro? That's a different question.
I have the Xbox Series X with Forza Motorsport. It definitely loads faster than GT7 on my PS4, but I don’t notice it having any impact on how I feel about the time spent playing a game.

I have the Xbox Series X with Forza Motorsport. It definitely loads faster than GT7 on my PS4, but I don’t notice it having any impact on how I feel about the time spent playing a game.
It takes ages to load a track in Forza Motorsport for me on my Series X. It takes a couple of seconds to do the same thing on PS5. High speed SSD is the difference.

It takes ages to load a track in Forza Motorsport for me on my Series X. It takes a couple of seconds to do the same thing on PS5. High speed SSD is the difference.
If anyone wants to argue about the fun that loading times add to playing a game, I would advice to have a look at this specific case:
Natural Doctrine on a PS4Pro vs Natural Doctrine on the PSP
This is crossplay enabled for multiplayer, and waiting for the PS4default already was a real PITA, so I dont even want to imagine the time it takes the PSP to load up.

But any difference between PS5 and PS5Pro wouldnt be the SSD but instead everything that currently bottlenecks behind.

I'd consider a PS5 Pro if it allowed for more cars to race against (appreciate not online, due to backwards compatibility).

Being able to run a 30 car grid would be great and open up some great multi-class racing opportunities.

I know it won't happen, but I can dream :P
30 car Sophy grids throughout the game.

PS5 Pro is all well and good technically for GT7.

But they still very shy of giving us any info about the SSD size, there will be no point getting this console if the machine has the crappy 896gb of space, you can hardly install anything on it!

At that price point which is franky ridiculous, they need to have at least 2TB of storage standard to warrant such a price hike minus the tech specs show on the presentation.

Sony are closely making the same mistake echoing the days of the PS3 launch when the orignal fatboy was overpriced.

Also Back in 2016, these were the launch prices for the PS4 pro, Sony love their november cycle launches.

At Sony's PlayStation Meeting today, the company unveiled its 4K and HDR-supporting console dubbed the PS4 Pro, will cost USD$399 / £349 / AUD$560 and will launch November 10, 2016.

snapsplaystation-4-pro-about-special-events-2016-on-igntojpg-6d45e8.jpgps5-pro-prices-v0-l9a2qzp200od1-ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg-converter.jpg

Last edited:
ZEE

But they still very shy of giving us any info about the SSD size, there will not point getting this console if the machine has the crappy 896gb of space, you can hardly install anything on it, at that price point which is franky ridiculous, they need to have at least 2TB of storage standard to warrant such a price hike minus the tech specs show on the presentation.

Sony are closely making the same mistake echoing the days of the PS3 launch when the orignal fatboy was overpriced.

Also Back in 2016, these were the launch rpices for the PS4 pro, Sony love their november cycle launches.

At Sony's PlayStation Meeting today, the company unveiled its 4K and HDR-supporting console dubbed the PS4 Pro, will cost USD$399 / £349 / AUD$560 and will launch November 10, 2016.

View attachment 1388363View attachment 1388364
2TB SSD is included in the Pro.

ZEE

But they still very shy of giving us any info about the SSD size, there will not point getting this console if the machine has the crappy 896gb of space, you can hardly install anything on it!

At that price point which is franky ridiculous, they need to have at least 2TB of storage standard to warrant such a price hike minus the tech specs show on the presentation.

Also Back in 2016, these were the launch prices for the PS4 pro, Sony love their november cycle launches.

View attachment 1388363View attachment 1388364
What are you talking about? 2TB was confirmed.

Last edited:
incroyable ! PS5 pro + GT7

fidelity graphics with smoother frame rates at 60FPS :)

• Upgraded GPU => Compute Units, faster memory and faster rendering
  • Advanced Ray Tracing => dynamic reflection and refraction of light.
  • AI-Driven Upscaling => an AI-driven upscaling that uses a machine learning-based technology

and confirmed 2TB SSD

source: blog playstation :)

TY ! :gtplanet:

Last edited:
The $700 price is w/o included tax, right? We Europeans have to pay 800€ to get a PS5 Pro.
Yes, that is without tax. And have no fear, us Americans have to pay tax on it as well (the % depends on the state and county one lives in*). Difficult to quantify a number for the whole country but I'd venture between 6%-10%.

*In a few states they do not have sales tax. However, if they don't get you with the left they'll get you with the right, and to make up for it there's an increase in income tax. There are a lucky few that live close enough to a non-sales-tax-state - but their primary address is in a different state - such they can travel across state boarders to buy products and not pay sales tax. But, that is the exception.

Death and taxes and all that...

I got my PS5 5 months ago. Only bought it because i couldn't stand all the coffee brakes waiting for the green hell to load on my standard (hdd) PS4.
I'm pretty sure GT7 will still run on my PS5 after November 7 ... :D

Will they stop the production of the standard PS5 or can you now choose which version to buy?

I got my PS5 5 months ago. Only bought it because i couldn't stand all the coffee brakes waiting for the green hell to load on my standard (hdd) PS4.
I'm pretty sure GT7 will still run on my PS5 after November 7 ... :D

Will they stop the production of the standard PS5 or can you now choose which version to buy?

You can chose going forward.

4k 120 Is this confirmed somewhere?
It isn´t, I am just guessing. But right not PS5 can run GT7 (in 120Hz VRR resolution mode) in 4K/90fps most of the time. Resolution sometimes drops under 4k and 90 fps also isn´t rock solid, but it´s not so far away from 4k/120fps so I think it’s pretty safe bet PS5 pro would achieve 4k/120.

The GT7 footage from the presentation isn’t very good. It’s focusing on base game content from 2022. Not ideal if you want to appeal to players who haven’t touched the game since it was released. I also think they should have avoided the chase camera footage. It’s so stiff and it makes the game look 20 years older than it is.

The GT7 footage from the presentation isn’t very good. It’s focusing on base game content from 2022. Not ideal if you want to appeal to players who haven’t touched the game since it was released. I also think they should have avoided the chase camera footage. It’s so stiff and it makes the game look 20 years older than it is.
They did that to showcase the real time ray tracing reflection of the yellow Vette next to the BMW. It might be hard to see/notice that if the camera was flying around, especially when GT7 was given about 6 seconds of air time in the presentation.

Jerome

They did that to showcase the real time ray tracing reflection of the yellow Vette next to the BMW. It might be hard to see/notice that if the camera was flying around, especially when GT7 was given about 6 seconds of air time in the presentation.

Jerome
I get that. It’s just they weren’t making the game look as attractive as they could have.

To be fair, this was a PS5 Pro showcase and not a GT7 showcase. But your point is well taken and I think a 15 minute showcase was a disservice to the entirety of the event.

We're deep into the second console generation where this mentality has largely been moot. Sony has to deal with the same market realities that Microsoft does no matter how many rakes Phil Spencer steps on. The (non-Nintendo) console market is stagnant, development costs are ever increasing and customer resistance to higher prices gets louder and louder no matter how often Geoff Keighley tries to run interference about inflation. Sony has neither the desire nor the ability to take it to the extent Microsoft has, but the change in perspective for how much they want you to buy a box with Sony on it to buy their games in just the past five years has been dramatic.
I don't think it will pan out for GT7 because of how long it has already been on sale and it also being a PS4 game, but there should be no surprise from everyone if the next Gran Turismo game falls under Sony's specifically stated PC release cadence for live service games. Sony doesn't get any money from people buying copies of Windows and they probably really wish they didn't have to give Valve any money, but they (just like Microsoft does) still get lots of money from game sales and microtransactions from the gaming market which actually is growing and actually does have people who wouldn't buy Playstation games otherwise.

It's not 2010 anymore. Playstation is no longer a Japanese entity, Polyphony Digital is no longer Sony's main tastemaker and Gran Turismo is far removed from being the notable juggernaut system selling cornerstone franchise that it was before Naughty Dog/Insomniac/Sucker Punch all stopped making 3D platformers. I can't think of any reason Gran Turismo games exist as an anomaly on the market for increasing development costs vs stagnant returns (even ignoring that the way to make the most money with a live service game is to have it on as many platforms as possible), nor any reason to think it is is sacred when the various prestige Sad Dad single player games that Sony in 2024 actually considers their Mario or Sonic have been being ported to PC to good sales for a while now.
Agree with most of this. Business is a constant shell game of shifting landscapes and so so so much propaganda by those who benefit from the facade. Gran Turismo has the real world licensed cars though and this is in fact a huge draw, forza, need for speed and a tiny few others have a small set as well, but grand theft auto and other sims have replicas and "race cars" which are not verifiably correct by 99.99999999% of folks and so their quality can be meh or assumed to be anywhere in between. There is still a huge draw globally for Gran Turismo, which continues to be in the top trending sales charts each month, heck it even has numerous folks "switching" to it (including me) due to others (forza) being absolutely deaf and daft to the community, though the lack of car culture like during the peak in the 90s, is a big part of the shifting landscape.

When Gran Turismo showed up in the late 90s, it was on the pulse of the zeitgeist. Additionally, back then tuned civics could compete with the exotic cars of the time. Tuning was a viable way to go equivalently fast, with the exception of the magnificent McLaren F1. Nowadays the ultra cars that only the 0.0001% of folks can afford and are rarely if ever able to be seen or even sat in, let alone driven, are the new car culture. $130,000 BMW M cars are the new "starting" point for tuning. The economic disparity is so extreme that it has literally broken markets and communities thoroughly.

The literal only way to ever have the chance to "experience" these multi million dollar cars that are the tuning car culture focus is virtually. I never would have believed that nearly 30 years ago rolling along side a McLaren F1 on a public street, that it would likely be the last sort of experience for a lifetime. Maybe some nights in Monaco you might get something similar these days, but things have changed dramatically with ever growing gaps between the haves and have nots.

With folks financing $50,000 economy cars ( for 84+ months, smfh), the PS5 pro price doesn't seem anything but reasonable, but the reality is, that less than a game console generation ago, the bang for the buck was like the NOS equipped 4G63 AWD ride that would eat vettes costing two to three times as much, and now you are being shackled to a proprietary eco system where you will never own your game, and when it gets turned off, you have no recourse, and even when you are allowed to use the product you purchase it is overly restricted by arbitrary rules and online restrictions manufactured to waste your time like without the ability to use your own storage for unlimited replays, liveries, photos. It really is a mess of their own making from these now ginormous corporations, especially in inexcusable "restrictions".

The Stop Killing Games movement needs to catch bigly fire to get the apathetic and acquiescing to exploitation folks to wake up or fall under the bus asleep and lose all their coin fare.

If folks give their money and accept the low quality nonsense and unwanted "improvements" in return, it will only continue that way. Demand more and wait till they deliver on the deal, or pay far far more over time. You'll own nothing and be happy is a choice that can be refused.

Last edited:
To be fair, this was a PS5 Pro showcase and not a GT7 showcase. But your point is well taken and I think a 15 minute showcase was a disservice to the entirety of the event.
Well, yes, it was a PS5 Pro showcase, but I believe all the games were Sony’s own first-party games, so they might as well had gone all in.

The GT7 segment honestly gave me more GT Sport flashbacks than GT7 vibes. The Playstation business has been struggling lately, and it’s not hard to identify where Sony Computer Entertainment lacks brilliance.

Back