Gran Turismo 7 PS5 Pro Update: 8K Graphics, Real-Time Ray-Tracing On Track

• Thread starter Famine
  • 248 comments
Again, the GTWS live event is also on the same weekend, taking place on one of the two public days for the TGS. It has live streams and what looks like 900 people in the theatre. What's that telling you about where PD (not PD; SIE) wants the attention of the public?

There's one console station running GT7 at TGS. We'll also likely get a trailer during one of the GTWS streams.

Neither is relevant to there being an update (or not) on what we expect to be Thursday September 26 - two days prior to either.
With so much going on it tells me they won’t prioritize releasing new content on September 26th. Yes, it would be a few days prior to both of the upcoming events but I still think it would be a bit too much PR activity in such a short span of time.

Also, Montreal broke the tradition with Kaz posting silhouette tweets over the weekend. Now they will probably use the Tokyo round to repeat the strategy, showcasing October’s content a few weeks ahead of release. All things considered I’d be really surprised if Kaz posts any content teasers in the next few hours or days. I kind of expected him to do it before reading that GT7 would actively join TGS.

It would not surprise me that there are big optimizations going on that will actually improve things for the PS5 version of GT7 and the additional hardware of the PS5 Pro version will but increase it a bit more. There was a system update yesterday and I swear it improved the lighting in GT7, possibly already employing a default PSSR implementation? One of the night races around daytona that autoplays had AI aggressively battling for position and the lighting in that twilight period with the headlight beam patterns obscurred by leading cars and illuminating the interiors while all the eye candy surrounding the track whirled around the on track action, it appeared to be smoother and the edges softer. The lighting in the garages as cameras pan around them in the idle loop still had the serrated edge look though, plus I wasn't tracking the VRR framerates, yet at this point.

Additionally, after having spent the evening comparing the graphics frame rates and fidelity to iRacing on AMD hardware a fair bit more powerful than the PS5 Pro ( 7950X3D+7900XTX w/240z 32:9 5260x1440 OLED HDR16) that the fidelity of Gran Turismo 7 stretched @2560x1440 VRR avg 90 fps is just leagues beyond what anything else can manage. at ~300+fps graphics settings in iRacing, it is just quite unappealing, especially considering the cost and comparison to PS5+GT7, and honestly anything over 100fps is imperceptible in driving feel (DD+ for both), though anything below 70fps starts to affect lap times and ease of driving smoothly and consistent lap times. While in Gran Turismo with the VRR ranging from 70 - 105 fps at 1440p, it looks far far greater and more detailed and authentic than compared with everything Ultra extreme maxed out getting 45-50 fps in iRacing.

Side note 250hz force feedback/input rates on DD+ with latest 2.2.3.7 wheelbase firmware has been flawless and is connected with a switch between PC and PS5 again. about 48 hours of power on time switching back and forth and zero disconnect issues. Racing is a GO GO GO again! Looks like the 250hz enablement in GT7 exposed the DD+ needed a little adjustment-triple mikuni carb synchronizing style

With all the sim racing hardware that sim racers throw money at, it truly seems like if the PS5 Pro version offered multi monitor support and FULL race UDP data transmission & broadcast/spectate full support, it would be so much cheaper, so much higher fidelity and framerates much higher. 120fps at 4K on triple screens with a Pro mode subscription-every replay always, detailed stat tracking would solidify GT7 as the Olympic esport motorsports for a least the next half decade, and likely really kick the top sim racing field into top gear.

Plus it provides a way to boost Sony console sales for those who have or aspire to triple monitors over time. As Fanatec by Corsair looks to sell their cockpits supporting triple screens, it would only make sense that they would also be encouraging Polyphony Digital/Sony to help provide incentives to drive more sales.

Here's to the Tokyo Nations Cup event showcasing even more beautiful PS5 Pro broadcast quality 4K ray traced race eye candy. Also they need to broadcast in at least six channel surround sound. The 3D tempest 6 and 8 channel AudioTech in GT7 is something that truly is vastly superior. The broadcast streams in mere Stereo, is as lackng as with headphones, like watching a movie through a pair of glasses with tissue paper lenses. GT7 audio positional awareness is unmatched, but in iRacing the competitor tire squeel near, at, and over the limit is a notch above GT7, the tire baking simulator has that.

Last edited:
I don't think PD (or Square for the FFVII Rebirth booth) are much more involved in TGS than answering "yes, sure, go ahead" when Sony tell them "we want to use your game to promote PS5 Pro".

In fact, Square just released FF16 on PC this past week, and that's a much bigger deal than a GT content update.

Edit: Sony even already have a GT7 booth in Japan, they took it to the EVO fighting game championship.

Last edited:
With so much going on it tells me they won’t prioritize releasing new content on September 26th. Yes, it would be a few days prior to both of the upcoming events but I still think it would be a bit too much PR activity in such a short span of time.
None of it's relevant. SIE handles PR, not PD.

PD's events team will be on site at GTWS, while a couple of SIE PR people will be at TGS (usually non-specific, non-brand experts, and some contract personnel). The update is nothing to do with any of these people, and both things are happening in the same city that hosts one of their main offices, outside of working hours!

It's all meaningless with regards to any potential update. Which will have gone through the approval process two weeks beforehand in any case.

I’ll be interested to see what 120Hz mode looks like on the pro. When I got my new tv I immediately tried it, saw that it looked a bit meh ( as documented by DF previously) then switched back to 60.

I’ll be interested to see what 120Hz mode looks like on the pro. When I got my new tv I immediately tried it, saw that it looked a bit meh ( as documented by DF previously) then switched back to 60.
I can say it's not about how it looks, but how fluid it feels. With VRR averaging about 90hz, usually 75 fps - 105 fps, it is so much smoother and realistic feeling. This is on a 250hz DD+ force feedback wheel and I suspect on a controller, it would not have any effect though.

For this reason of fidelity and realistic feel, I often use 1440p over 2160p with VRR.
20240722220706.jpg
20240722220708.jpg

Last edited:
Back