Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.49: Eiger Nordwand, Six New Cars, Physics Changes, & More

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,624 comments
Having missed the PS3 era of Gran Turismo, I am happy to be able to race on the Eiger. I was jealous that I could not test it during GT5 & GT6. It is a shame that we won't get the dirt courses as well, I just watched a few videos on Youtube and the K trail is amazing! Unless there is a surprise here and we get them... I am also worried about how many cars it will handle; my instinct (and only this) tells me it will not support 20 cars.

About the cars now:
F430 Scuderia: Meh, I have already forgot that the normal one is in GT7. I would prefer the 360 Modena. Still, nice addition.
Gallardo: While not the most desirable car, I cannot wait to try it!
Genesis Race Car: Meh, I don't usually drive the Gr.1 (assuming it will be there) fantasy race cars such as LM55, N2025 etc. I don't feel attached to them in the same way as real LeMans prototypes.
M3: To me that's the most important car of this update. I hate BMW cars in games and real life, except for M3s and M5s! Now that we completed the M3s, lets get on with the M5s, especially E39 and E60!
Impreza Rally Car: Glad to see this as well! Let's bring more past rally cars. As mentioned for Gr.1 above, I don't feel attached to fantasy Gr.B cars, I prefer real rally cars. Now on to Delta S4, RS200, quattro S1 and Integrale!
RUF: My issue with RUFs is that I am unfamiliar with them. I will try it but once more I cannot feel attached to sth that I had no idea existed.

Physics update: I am expecting them to be more related to how the tires work, now that they got the insight from Michelin. To me it is obvious they will just replace the old ones (looking at the screenshots). I would also like to see an update for rally behavior, because at this moment is at the verge of unacceptable; I am pretty sure cars don't slide in gravel like they hit a patch of ice. But I am not getting my hopes up; PD failed to address the rally behavior from GT2!

About the cars, REALLY don't care about yet another make believe VGT BS. But the Bimmer and the RUF are cool, specially the RUF: gaming world has been fairly tough on them since everybody can get their hands on Porsches. I will never complain about a new Lambo or Ferrari, even duplicated ones.
Meanwhile, Gemballa...
gemballa_avalanche_showcase_front.jpg

Lucas Ordoñez in the Spanish comments of the Montreal event was talking a lot about the changes to the physics engine after talking with Mikail Hızal, who seems to be one of the main people responsible for beta testing at Polyphony, and the competing drivers.
The changes will focus on the suspensions and tires. According to him, they have made the physics of force transfer in braking, weight distribution and lateral balance more complex and have changed tire degradation. With the new update the tires will wear more with aggressive driving and appear to perform worse at high wear levels (this is something that could be clearly seen at the Montreal event).

In any case, I suppose that the GtPlanet team will be preparing an article about it.
that weight transfer thing has definitely been on my list of things which could be cooler. Hopefully, they go all the way, and it will affect how contact between cars is dealt with in the game.

Something curious I've been thinking about is, with the tires now having Michelin branding, what each tire compound corresponds to is now much clearer. But to me, it's surprising. Or, maybe my understanding of how the tires in the games correlated to the real world is completely wrong.

Idk if they just didn't want 6 separate labels, but all the comfort tires are Pilot Sport 4S tires, while all the sports tires are Pilot Sport Cup 2 R tires.

Pilot Sport 4S are 300 TW High Performance summer tires, which I find surprising because I always thought Comfort Hards were standard all-seasons. It seems like Comfort Hards would be High-Performance All Season tires, at the worst. Which would mean even Comfort Hards would be "too grippy" for some of the more pedestrian cars in the game (e.g. Prius, Alphard, etc)

The Pilot Sport Cup 2 R is a 140TW street-legal track tire. The whole Sports tire family being street-legal track tires makes sense to me, but also confirms even Sports Hards are going to be more tire than what would come with like half of the road cars in the game.

1720448559252.png

For those who wanted the Pikes Peak track, the introduction of Eiger Nordward has something in common. It's also a hilly circuit, tight curves and that's it. The driving pleasure between both circuits is measured in proportion to the length of each of them... The introduction of new Pokal wheels with aero models is interesting. It would be nice if the Ronal and Speedline also came. The new physics, we wait and see, the cars are seen, and Sophy I don't know, I hope it also comes to PS4.

Something curious I've been thinking about is, with the tires now having Michelin branding, what each tire compound corresponds to is now much clearer. But to me, it's surprising. Or, maybe my understanding of how the tires in the games correlated to the real world is completely wrong.

Idk if they just didn't want 6 separate labels, but all the comfort tires are Pilot Sport 4S tires, while all the sports tires are Pilot Sport Cup 2 R tires.

Pilot Sport 4S are 300 TW High Performance summer tires, which I find surprising because I always thought Comfort Hards were standard all-seasons. It seems like Comfort Hards would be High-Performance All Season tires, at the worst. Which would mean even Comfort Hards would be "too grippy" for some of the more pedestrian cars in the game (e.g. Prius, Alphard, etc)

The Pilot Sport Cup 2 R is a 140TW street-legal track tire. The whole Sports tire family being street-legal track tires makes sense to me, but also confirms even Sports Hards are going to be more tire than what would come with like half of the road cars in the game.
My only concern about this tire branding is... What will happen to the race tire branding selection available in livery editor? Some of the cars ingame uses dunlop tires and other brands.

Something curious I've been thinking about is, with the tires now having Michelin branding, what each tire compound corresponds to is now much clearer.
IDK, makes things even more confusing IMO. Michelin doesn't mention "comfort" at all for the 4S and there are no different compounds available for either the 4S nor the Cup 2R. At least not here in Europe, where I live.

IDK, makes things even more confusing IMO. Michelin doesn't mention "comfort" at all for the 4S and there are no different compounds available for either the 4S nor the Cup 2R. At least not here in Europe, where I live.
There aren't different 4S and Cup 2R compounds aside from possibly vehicle-specific versions AFAIK.

My interpretation though is that:

Comfort = Summer Performance, so a Comfort Soft could be a 4S, while CM and CH will be whatever equivalent "lower performance" summer tires are.

Sports = Street-Legal Track, so the Cup 2R could be Sports Softs, while SM and SH will be whatever the less aggressive versions are.

Which is why I wonder why they didn't just do 6 different tire labels to better differentiate them. Or maybe the tire models don't completely fit any of Michelin's lineup and those were the best representative choice?

For those who wanted the Pikes Peak track, the introduction of Eiger Nordward has something in common. It's also a hilly circuit, tight curves and that's it. The driving pleasure between both circuits is measured in proportion to the length of each of them... The introduction of new Pokal wheels with aero models is interesting. It would be nice if the Ronal and Speedline also came. The new physics, we wait and see, the cars are seen, and Sophy I don't know, I hope it also comes to PS4.
Not totally related but showing off the new Rally physics in the trailer, something which (at the risk of offending someone) I'm pretty sure nobody cares about in GT7, makes me think Pikes Peak might eventually happen in the game. Seems weird to specifically showcase that.

Not totally related but showing off the new Rally physics in the trailer, something which (at the risk of offending someone) I'm pretty sure nobody cares about in GT7, makes me think Pikes Peak might eventually happen in the game. Seems weird to specifically showcase that.
Pikes Peak has been completely tarmaced for about a decade. It's not a rally track, just a long uphill road.

There aren't different 4S and Cup 2R compounds aside from possibly vehicle-specific versions AFAIK.

Comfort = Summer Performance, so a Comfort Soft could be a 4S, while CM and CH will be whatever equivalent "lower performance" summer tires are.

Sports = Street-Legal Track, so the Cup 2R could be Sports Softs, while SM and SH will be whatever the less aggressive versions are.

Which is why I wonder why they didn't just do 6 different tire labels to better differentiate them. Or maybe the tire models don't completely fit any of Michelin's lineup and those were the best representative choice?
I guess it was just a sponsorship/business decision and they didn't really think about it as much as we do😉

Pikes Peak has been completely tarmaced for about a decade. It's not a rally track, just a long uphill road.
Oh fair enough. The only game I have it on is Dirt Rally which has a dirt variant, guessing it's supposed to be historical then.

What about all the things that were not talked about? Like bug, fixes, engine swaps et.Cetera
That normally never comes prior to a few days before the update, always been in the detailed post about the update itself, this was just the teaser.

Hype preparation for the fan base.
17 days to go 💀

I’m still confused why this update was revealed so early.

Last edited:
I was just driving a Eiger Nordwand track mod for AC, I get why they changed the location of the pits, the ‘original’ one is kind of a pain in the butt 😅 From that mod compared to the new version PD made, it seems like they may have altered the proportions a bit, narrowed the road and swapped out the old raggedy bridge for a new modern one, plus obviously changed the location of the pits.. I hope the famous jump is still there though…

Very much looking forward to the track… and if it sucks, we’ll still always have the AC mod of the original 😅

The way i interpret the tire compounds is
CH/CM = ecobox tires. The equivalent of a Michelin Defender or Crossclimate tire.
CS = Michelin Primacy
SH = Michelin Pilot Sport 5
SM = Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2
SS = Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 R. The rationale being that its a tire that has tons of grip but will not last long.

I suppose we could have a sport super soft for the Cup 2 R since SM would then take the place of a PSS5, but the way sport hards currently behave in game remind me a lot of Pilot Sport 5 instead of a Pilot Sport 5 S. It just lacks that extra grip but the thermal management is also pretty poor on Pilot Sport 5.

Back