Gran Turismo Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup Announced for 2024 Season

• Thread starter Famine
  • 269 comments
Quiet day here today. Is that because it's now the summer, or because no one really cares too much about the GR GT Cup??
I ducked out of a little Canada Day long-weekend get-together to run the 7PM EDT race in the Americas. My excuse: I had to get back to the party before writing up a report here. That will come tomorrow.

Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of drivers skipped this round though. A sprint race at an unpopular track with the less-popular Gr.4 cars on a summer weekend. There are a lot of factors working against this race.

For a track that I am not fond of, I had a pretty good day! Previous testing had me favoring the WRX.
On the 3 accounts, I had:

Alt-Alt Q2/P2. I grabbed the lead on on the green and held it until the Q1 Mazda caught up. I followed them for 2 laps until we both cut turn 4 ( I was right in his tail and followed him into the turn) and got a 1 second penalty. On the penalty zone, he took the left side and I took the right and P3 and P4 got by us. I got past one of them and ended up P2 at the flag.

Main: Q4/P1. I grabbed the lead again at the light by cutting in between P1 and P2 and took the flag from there. The only drama was loosing time to P2 on the last lap because I was rear view watching and he almost caught me. I also think I had an alias of @icycls in my race (sno?)

Main-Alt: Q4/P2. This time at the green, I went around to the right because the WRX in Q3 took the middle. I led until the end of lap 7 and let P2 pass because I was just slowing us down trying to keep him at bay and would be happy to finish P2.

I have to say, the WRX had great launches on the start enabling me to take P1 before turn 1 in each race. The racing was hard and clean in all of my races and it was a pleasure racing those opponents today. I wish all online races were that great!

Last edited:
After missing the third round, I bought a Supra for this one. I did a 2-lap practice qualifying run, getting down under 2:10.3, then ducked into a full D/S 9 pm CDT room with 17 points for the win. I wore #4 on my Supra, 1 of 12 in the race, with the other 4 cars Subarus. As usual, I spent the 5 minutes of qualifying in the pits, with a second car not taking a time and one leaving the room during qualifying. I would have started near the back anyway as the pole time was 2:07.7 from a Subaru, and the top 9 were all under 2:10.

The race was as bad as expected. I dropped back from 14th to 15th anticipating carnage in turn 1, only for it to not happen. My only 2 passes were from others' misfortunes, and an off as I made that second pass cost me the CRB. At least I didn't even come close to hitting anybody and got 8 points.

For a track that I am not fond of, I had a pretty good day! Previous testing had me favoring the WRX.
On the 3 accounts, I had:

Alt-Alt Q2/P2. I grabbed the lead on on the green and held it until the Q1 Mazda caught up. I followed them for 2 laps until we both cut turn 4 ( I was right in his tail and followed him into the turn) and got a 1 second penalty. On the penalty zone, he took the left side and I took the right and P3 and P4 got by us. I got past one of them and ended up P2 at the flag.

Main: Q4/P1. I grabbed the lead again at the light by cutting in between P1 and P2 and took the flag from there. The only drama was loosing time to P2 on the last lap because I was rear view watching and he almost caught me. I also think I had an alias of @icycls in my race (sno?)

Main-Alt: Q4/P2. This time at the green, I went around to the right because the WRX in Q3 took the middle. I led until the end of lap 7 and let P2 pass because I was just slowing us down trying to keep him at bay and would be happy to finish P2.

I have to say, the WRX had great launches on the start enabling me to take P1 before turn 1 in each race. The racing was hard and clean in all of my races and it was a pleasure racing those opponents today. I wish all online races were that great!
Yeah, that was me on the new 'wheel' alt account (icy.v2)! Thanks for not mentioning my last place finish!

I actually forgot that there was a race today. Then I saw 1x/1x and 8 laps and thought, 'who needs to practice for that?' and jumped in with 3 or 4 laps of warmup. Well, evidently, I need to practice. I didn't have any pace in the supra. Some more time and I would have found it, I think, but I got busy and never made it into another lobby. It also didn't help that I was punted halfway across the infield on lap one.

I have found that is one of the joys of an alt account; it is liberating to just jump in and race and if it doesn't work out, so be it.

But... You had a great day, I was watching the leaderboard from many seconds back and once you took P1 early, you didn't let it go. Congrats!

2nd NA GT1 slot - Q'd 11th or 12th. Actually managed to snag a few spots at the start and made it up to around 6th or 7th. Made mistakes and got penalties and ended up getting shuffled back to where I started by the finish :(

Last slot was much better. Q'd in 6th. Got a nice jump off the line and was in 2nd place after the first couple of corners. Held that for a few laps, then got ran down and relegated to 3rd. Got passed again down to 4th but a couple laps later 3rd spun out coming out of the last chicane and handed 3rd back to me which is where I finished for 204 pts. Pretty happy with that I think.

IMG_3094.jpg
IMG_3093.jpg

The race where many including myself feared for it to act like a daily race, went like a daily race. Qualified 9th of out 14th and immediately the first turn bumps was a sign of what's to come. Everyone including myself was too aggressive and even on the same lap, I gave a GR Supra Gr.4 driver a chance to meet Barry R., the guy disconnected from the race soon after.

Lap 4 and I would get my share of karma at the chicane when another GR Supra Gr.4 thanks to the wheelspin, tapped my car from behind, sending me to a spin. The race after that was just going along in circles and somehow gaining two spots (As one disconnected from a controller issue? And another being sent far behind after trying to recover from over shooting the first turn). 131 points were gained instead of 150 points from 9th which isn't a lot. On the bright side, at least the points now count the two best rounds...

In other some-what unrelated news, the month of July has come. And soon, in final two weeks of the month comes the regional TGR GT Cup. Either today or tomorrow will show the top 40 times to qualify to the quarter-finals (With a GR Yaris Tsukuba time attack). Some might think it will be a very close one.

Gran Turismo® 7_20240630181110.png
Nürburgring GP__9.png
Nürburgring GP__8.png

Hi guys,
I raced the 4th round 3 times yesterday, in the last race I managed a pole start and 2nd. place finish, which I was pretty happy about.
Today went to check the computed rankings and for my total surprise, I was awarded only 59 points instead of 170+.
Am I missing something? Is there anywhere one can report this?

Greetings from Germany

Attachments

• IMG_6084.jpeg
    IMG_6084.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6087.jpeg
    IMG_6087.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 6
Hi guys,
I raced the 4th round 3 times yesterday, in the last race I managed a pole start and 2nd. place finish, which I was pretty happy about.
Today went to check the computed rankings and for my total surprise, I was awarded only 59 points instead of 170+.
Am I missing something? Is there anywhere one can report this?

Greetings from Germany
You only get points for the last race you do, no matter how many slots you actually enter. The 59 points would be for that 2nd place.

Last edited:
You only get points for the last race you do, no matter how many slots you actually enter.
I know that.
The 59 points would be for that 2nd place.
No way a 2nd place yields only 59 points.
See my round 3 (79 points), that was a 10th place start, 4th place finish. Qualifying give points as well. A perfect round (pole + win) will give you 175 points (see a guy named Flo in the pic below in the round 3).

Attachments

• IMG_6088.JPG
    IMG_6088.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 3
I know that.

See my round 3 (79 points), that was a 10th place start, 4th place finish. Qualifying give points as well. A perfect round (pole + win) will give you 175 points (see a guy named Flo in the pic below in the round 3).
It depends on the strength of the lobby DR wise is what's decides the points available.

I know that.

It does not work like that… the reason why you got more points in round 3 was because you were going against higher ranked drivers. Also you get no points for pole position.

I know that.

Qualifying & starting position is entirely irrelevant. All that matters is where you finish, and how your DR relates to the other drivers in the lobby.

I know that.

That's not how it works.

The points you can get in a race are based on the DR of the players involved.

The player Flo probably tanked his DR rating to get into GT2 and raced a couple of races to get his DR back to A. When a couple of players did the same and end up in the same lobby the points available would be higher then usual in GT2.

Also qualifying doesn't give any points. Only the race counts

Now looking at some pics from other posts above I see points earned over 200. Maybe it has to do with the class raced (I'm in GT2 class) and DR B. Maybe I was in a low B and had the last race with mostly drives of DR C, so your points are reduced since you raced usually slower drivers. Anyway, that's than how it is. Was a hard work for so little points 😢

Last edited:
I ran the first GT1 slot -- 7PM EDT -- in the Americas, driving the Subaru from door #6 with 163 points up for grabs. All A/S lobby. I needed a P12 finish to improve on my point total.

For qualifying, I stayed in the pits too long and ended up with only hot lap. I booked an okay-ish 2:05.865, which gave me a Q12 start.

tgr-rd4-start.jpg

I got a great start off the line and jumped to P8 for turn 1. I dropped back to P11 in the jostling around the corner, but picked up a couple spots in lap 1 thanks to someone going off and getting a great run out of Bit Kurve, ending the lap in P9.

Things started to settle down from there. I picked up another spot on lap 2 from a driver taking a penalty. Up to P8.

In lap 3, I decided to spice things up a bit and confound my opponents by taking a wide line at Kumho Kurve. In other words, I had a brain fart and completely missed my braking point.

tgr-rd4-wide.jpg

I didn't make the cleanest of rejoins and ended up blocking the pink Supra behind me. I let them by on the chicane to make up for it, dropping me back to P9.

tgr-rd4-giving-back.jpg

Now, I had to contend with a gaggle of hungry Supras on my tail. Things got rather argy bargy for the first sector of lap 4. I was bumped from behind on a few corners, but I managed to defend my P9 position to the penalty line, where a couple of them fell off, giving me a bit of breathing room.

It didn't last long. A Subaru soon filled the void and was putting the pressure on. I think they were a bit faster than me, but I held them off until they took a penalty on lap 7.

From there, it was stress-free drive to a P9 finish. 108 points. Not great, but right around what I expected, so I can't complain.

Quiet day here today. Is that because it's now the summer, or because no one really cares too much about the GR GT Cup??
A bit of everything. Many distractions at the moment, any race at the NGP is usually a pass, and to be fair to the GR Cup I'm just a bit bored of the whole game at the moment, not just this competition.

I might have a go with the Super Formulas next round. Don't like racing online at GV (especially in road cars) so round 6 is a pass. 7 could be ok - the car selection is good, the track is not. Who knows what we get for the last event in December.

At DR B? Sure it could.

Points are proportional to the average (mean) DR scores of the drivers in the lobby. The winner gets approximately 0.5% of the average DR, and each position thereafter gets proportionally 5% less. The total number of points is around 5% of the average DR.

If second is 59pt, first is ~62pt, and the average DR of the lobby is ~12,420, which is at the bottom end of DR B.

A bit of everything. Many distractions at the moment, any race at the NGP is usually a pass, and to be fair to the GR Cup I'm just a bit bored of the whole game at the moment, not just this competition.
Agreed. A bit of all the above. For me, I am not really playing this game much anymore for a few reasons:

1) I am just bored with it. Game's been out for ~2.5 years now and it's getting stale. Additionally, PD not really doing a whole lot IMO to keep things (aka the Dailies) fresh and interesting doesn't help. Some of that PD can help, but some they can't. I've got like 2,000 hours into the game so it was bound to happen eventually.

2) My personality - my hobbies ebb and flow. I'll get super into something and everything else falls off... then, after X amount of time they switch. Just so happens it's the perfect storm for GT7 to be at the bottom of my go-to things to do, all while it's summer out and a million other things going on.

3) See above, many other things going on in life that are more important and/or fun at the moment leave me little want to play, let alone play competitively. Meaning, I need to practice to be able to play competitively, so it's not always just drop in and do a race or two with a free hour on a random Saturday.

4) The TGR Cup has been quite bad, IMO. I've not done one to date. It's like, I am not even mad, just disappointed type of thing. The LeMans one looked fun but - and I am sounding like a broken record here but don't care - with the limited GT1 slots I wasn't able to do one. I had no interest in the 86 at Suzuka (AGAIN!) or the Prius (Prius?!??) at Laguna sprint races at all.

I did plan on doing this Nurb one just to get something on the scoresheet for me, but other things were more fun so I didn't practice enough (2:03.3 was my best TT) and when it came to race time I just wasn't motivated to give a shrimp about logging in. In fact, I was planning on doing the 19:00 slot but by the time I even remembered the race was happening (thanks to visiting YT and seeing streamers race it) I was too late for that slot anyway. And no way in beans I was waiting two hours for the next one.

Won't be able to do the SF race and the Yaris at GV-S looks boring. Might try to do the Fuji race (which will probably be a carbon copy of the Daily C a few weeks back) but we'll see.

That post turned into a lot longer one than I was planning on!

Last edited:
I wasn't going take part in this round, with the 3pm slot overlapping the F1, 5pm the start time for England v Slovakia and by 7pm I need to be out the door for the nights Body Count gig. Plus my last few GT1 championship races have seen me scraping around at the back off the pace and I've hardly practiced this one.

But who cares about football, I've got the urge to race, I can record the footy and fast forward after the race and catch up in time for the second half live.

First lap qualifying went amazingly well, pretty much matched my optimum time from practice, and was very luck to complete the lap without delay as the car ahead messed up the chicane and came back just ahead of me, but not quite close enough to get in the way and I was side by side with him as we crossed the line. The second lap not surprisingly I blew it, as with a great banker I just went for a crazy lets push the limits lap.

The great lap put me P3 on the grid, which I was pleased with as not expecting to be that on pace. Managed to lose a place during the first few corners, settled down into P4.

As the race went I slipped back one more place to P5. Then just as I got a chance to move up to P4 after a penalty for a driver ahead, I got my own penalty at the chicane, which dropped me back to P6. With a little luck another penalty for a driver ahead got me back to P5.

Not a classic race, pleased more with my speed than execution, perhaps P3 or P4 was on the cards with a bit better driving, but I'll take P5 as easily my best points score of the season.

How could I not race when I've found a livery with both Slayer and Baby Yoda on it.

R04-Nürburgring GP_ (3).jpeg
R04-Nürburgring GP_ (4).jpeg
R04-Nürburgring GP_ (2).jpeg

Last edited:
I thought that it gonna be dull race and didn't expect great results because I suck on Nurburgring GP but finally It was very nice racing!
Another proof that GR.4 races can be actually fun. Only condition is closely matched lobby. In one of mine there was VERY close racing.
Just look at this, three wide at braking zone to turn three. And everybody survived! 😂

20970090129064056.jpg
20970026400287157.jpg

Sadly this picture above happened to me in my first slot (North America GT1 A+), while I got pole and was leading with a 4 second gap in a Subaru. Just went wide trusting there would be some grip and spun me like a top. I felt down to 11th, threw away a 311 point race and more importantly a covenant win that's hard to come by. I'm such a ******* idiot! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I did the next slot and got 3rd in a harder slot. Still got 308 points out of it so points wise not a big loss, but it will never feel the same as winning a slot.

I missed the last two rounds due to traveling, and with it being summer time I think it's the same throughout the lobbies and with no Nations/Manu. But I plan on going back hard with this series. Might not make the cut but I have a real shot of top 15-20 in NA.

Video to come on the bounce back

Last edited:
I did the next slot and got 3rd in a harder slot. Still got 308 points out of it so points wise not a big loss, but it will never feel the same as winning a slot.
At least you got 308 points in the next slot, while I had to call it a day after that first slot in fears of the same scenario later on..
But good points nonetheless!

For the first time, during the Toyota Cup last night, I raced against Igor Fraga. I think that the Toyota Cup does not attract many people and for this reason, Igor was isolated in this race. The rest of the field had my level, around 60,000 points.
I qualified in 6, with the Subaru 4WD I jumped to 4 position at the start. Igor made a break in front quickly, but positions 2 and 3 were fighting in front of me. Lap 2 i was only waiting to gain a place or stay in this position, it was a wonderful performance for me.
I was very happy to see myself already gaining good amount of points..... but a power cut occurred, i stayed into a total darkness. Too bad, this happens sometimes here in the small villages here in Brasil, no luck this time, just the day I was racing against Igor Fraga , my idol. I even couldn't save the replay and apparently no one shared this replay online. Next.

For the first time, during the Toyota Cup last night, I raced against Igor Fraga. I think that the Toyota Cup does not attract many people and for this reason, Igor was isolated in this race. The rest of the field had my level, around 60,000 points.
I qualified in 6, with the Subaru 4WD I jumped to 4 position at the start. Igor made a break in front quickly, but positions 2 and 3 were fighting in front of me. Lap 2 i was only waiting to gain a place or stay in this position, it was a wonderful performance for me.
I was very happy to see myself already gaining good amount of points..... but a power cut occurred, i stayed into a total darkness. Too bad, this happens sometimes here in the small villages here in Brasil, no luck this time, just the day I was racing against Igor Fraga , my idol. I even couldn't save the replay and apparently no one shared this replay online. Next.
That sucks. Igor often streams his gtws races. If he did you can see who was in the lobby and ask them for the replay. I'm sure any fellow Brazilians would have saved the replay.

Being the Canada Day holiday yesterday, I had some time to run a couple tire-wear tests for the next round of TGR -- Super Formula at Catalunya.

For this test, I just ran a full 30-lap custom race (against one other car) on each tire compound without pitting. The idea is to get a rough idea of how the tires wear over the course of the race and the impact it has on lap times as they wear out.

Here's what I found (detailed results in this spreadsheet).

TestOpt timeBest timeAvg timeAvg devTotal time
30RS1:22.3711:22.6651:24.0330:00.80342:00.988
30RM1:22.6631:23.1931:24.0810:00.52042:02.436

pubchart

Tread levels at finish:
TestFront leftFront rightRear leftRear right
30RS0%70%20%55%
30RM40%80%50%70%

A few things struck me as interesting:
  1. I was surprised at how small the difference is between RS and RM both in terms of overall time and for individual laps. I'm not sure why this was. Maybe I'm not attacking the track as aggressively as I should with softs.
  2. In the RS test, the front left tire went fully dead towards the end of lap 28 or beginning of lap 29.
  3. The data is pretty noisy -- sorry, I'm just not that consistent as a driver -- so it is hard to tell exactly where the crossover happens, but to me it looks like it is near 25 laps on RS. I was definitely noticing the grip on the softs deteriorating after that point. I'm not sure if the slower laps in the between laps 20 and 25 were tire-related or just poor driving, but the faster time on lap 25 suggests the tires were still good enough to go faster on those earlier ones.
I might do a few more tests yet, but right now I'm thinking that I'll aim for a 3-5 laps on RMs, then run the rest of the race out on RSs.

Being the Canada Day holiday yesterday, I had some time to run a couple tire-wear tests for the next round of TGR -- Super Formula at Catalunya.

For this test, I just ran a full 30-lap custom race (against one other car) on each tire compound without pitting. The idea is to get a rough idea of how the tires wear over the course of the race and the impact it has on lap times as they wear out.

Here's what I found (detailed results in this spreadsheet).

TestOpt timeBest timeAvg timeAvg devTotal time
30RS1:22.3711:22.6651:24.0330:00.80342:00.988
30RM1:22.6631:23.1931:24.0810:00.52042:02.436

pubchart

Tread levels at finish:
TestFront leftFront rightRear leftRear right
30RS0%70%20%55%
30RM40%80%50%70%

A few things struck me as interesting:
  1. I was surprised at how small the difference is between RS and RM both in terms of overall time and for individual laps. I'm not sure why this was. Maybe I'm not attacking the track as aggressively as I should with softs.
  2. In the RS test, the front left tire went fully dead towards the end of lap 28 or beginning of lap 29.
  3. The data is pretty noisy -- sorry, I'm just not that consistent as a driver -- so it is hard to tell exactly where the crossover happens, but to me it looks like it is near 25 laps on RS. I was definitely noticing the grip on the softs deteriorating after that point. I'm not sure if the slower laps in the between laps 20 and 25 were tire-related or just poor driving, but the faster time on lap 25 suggests the tires were still good enough to go faster on those earlier ones.
I might do a few more tests yet, but right now I'm thinking that I'll aim for a 3-5 laps on RMs, then run the rest of the race out on RSs.

Did you run your test at X2 tyre consumption?

Yep. 2x tire wear, 2x fuel consumption. I was surprised that PD picked a multiplier that would let the softs last so long, too.
Same here, it would had actually make sense if the consumption was double, therefore my question.
With the possibility they have in terms of race config it is really a poor choice

It matches recent Super Formula pretty closely, the softs last most of the race and are clearly better, the mediums basically only exist to be dumped as soon as you get to the pit window. Really wish they went back to the old longer races...

@Moose78 did anyone ever say YOU DA MAN

Unreal effort doing all that. I'm rubbish on tyres so might have to go deeper on RMs than most. I'll be back from Egypt late on the 13th so hoping I'm not jetlagged and hungover for the next race, that won't exactly work wonders for my tyre management / ability to stay on the track.

Also happy belated Canada Day buddy

Back