GT1 Modding discussion

• Thread starter Jandarman
  • 31 comments
Well, as mentioned already - it's better to write game from scratch than rev-engineer GT1. It's a painly process you know.

Besides that for some unknown reason PSCX Redux doesn't work on my machine. It have nice debugger, but I can't run it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but for success in rev-engineer this game you need at least a team of 4-5 experts in rev-engineering. It's a not one-man job.
So basically either Polyphony makes GT1 open source or AI gets so amazing at coding that it is able to rev-engineer the whole game by itself.

Both options are a pipe dream for now lol

EDIT: maybe a petition for Kaz (or Sony) to make GT1 open source?

Last edited:
EDIT: maybe a petition for Kaz (or Sony) to make GT1 open source?

That's making the big assumption that Sony and / or Polyphony actually still have the source code for GT1. It's been useless for 25 years, and was written on entirely different computers and OS than they use today. Someone would have had to have made a concerted effort to keep that specific version of the code somewhere as a backup for all of these decades, despite it not having any real value to the company due to the game being superseded by its sequel after two years, and most likely not being compilable with modern tools.

There's also the much larger issue - why would Sony want to let other people make their own derivative works using Sony's intellectual property? It doesn't make them any money, and risks hurting the GT brand. This is the hurdle which kills off official mod support in most games, never mind freely giving away all of the hard work it took to create the game too.

Back