GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,803 comments
Just played GT for the first time in 5 weeks. (Second kid was born 5 weeks ago - been busy) and the VR blew me away all over again. Still the best thing since sliced bread for me.
Congratulations to you and yours for the newest member of the family!

Sorry you've said goodbye to sleep . . . but you expected that (second and all ;-))
Bit bummed out about the upcoming update because there’s really almost nothing in it for me, but god damn - GT7 in VR is AMAZING.
There is the new physics model coming, is that something you are not interested in?

I use sandpaper - it gets rid of 100% of the grease 👍😊

7000 grit probably get you a good polish on there.
I clean mine using the Richie Rich method: when it gets dirty, buy a new one.

Congratulations to you and yours for the newest member of the family!

Sorry you've said goodbye to sleep . . . but you expected that (second and all ;-))

There is the new physics model coming, is that something you are not interested in?
:) Thanks! Looking forward to the new physics and Sophy on the Nordschleife.

What have you been playing? Myself, I've dabbled in some Ultrawings 2 (REALLY looking forward to Aces of Thunder!), and Red Matter 2 (great game!), but I'm always looking to hear what others have been into, to get an idea of what to check out next, since I'm relatively new to PSVR2.
So I've been working on some mental and physical health so the following I would highly recommend
  • Walkabout mini golf - was highly skeptical of this game and its amazing for calming any mood
  • Pistolwhip - Game works out the legs in a good way, also very fun and hard at times game
  • Amazing Puzzles - also highly skeptical until I samples in PSplus, got stuck playing a hard puzzle for 5 hours straight..controller battery died ended up buying it
  • Ping pong game - forgot title
  • C-Smash VR and that new Tennis game
  • Kayak VR update has been pretty fun too

So I've been working on some mental and physical health so the following I would highly recommend
  • Walkabout mini golf - was highly skeptical of this game and its amazing for calming any mood
  • Pistolwhip - Game works out the legs in a good way, also very fun and hard at times game
  • Amazing Puzzles - also highly skeptical until I samples in PSplus, got stuck playing a hard puzzle for 5 hours straight..controller battery died ended up buying it
  • Ping pong game - forgot title
  • C-Smash VR and that new Tennis game
  • Kayak VR update has been pretty fun too
Try Synth Riders (avaliable on PS Plus Premium) and Tetris Effect Connected .... both amazing experiences!

Apart from GT7, of course.

There´s on thing to mention on VR .... I noticed it on Spa after the update. The "glare" on the left window is quite higher. I´m using a white helmet. Could it be that thing that some other users mentioned about interior helmet reflections? It´s quite impressive.

That reminds me of the reflection of my avatar seen in the E36 gauge cluster. I’m racing AI around Goodwood and at some points of the circuit I could barely see the gauges. “My” reflection was so vivid I was tempted to raise my hand to add more shade. Crazy.

The 1.49 update makes life a little more interesting, a bit more of a challenge, but how on earth do people cope with the issue of weight transfer without PSVR2?

I had an hour and a half to try out the 1.49 update yesterday, so first I took out a familiar race car on a familiar track, and quickly concluded that I needed to increase the FF sensitivity from 5 to 6 to get the same level of tyre feedback that I was used to (Fanatec 8Nm). I also upped the max FF force by one notch simply because it felt more natural.

Within a few laps my initial thoughts were that the update gives you more grip and tyre feedback in the bends (assuming you corner on the limit all the time), less forgiveness over the curbs, and even more of a need to control one’s right foot when exiting fast corners …when that back comes round, it really comes round now, and it ain’t easy to stop it! I’ve always trail-braked most of the time but I noticed that it’s very slightly easier to brake harder into the bends now …the car made it round bends that it might have otherwise slid off of when going in too hot.

Next I bought the new Scooby (Impreza) and picked the new World Rally Challenge Gr.B at the Eiger Nordwand Reverse. I mean, after all, they show a Scooby on the race graphic so it must be fun, right?

Well it’s fun, but it ain’t easy! I spent the first ten minutes learning the track, then the next ten minutes coming to the conclusion that I wasn’t even going to pass one other car in stock trim (on hard difficulty level). So I fitted a medium RPM turbocharger, a racing box of gears and set the top speed nice and low. I lowered the suspension slightly, fitted nitro for the climb to the line, and set the power output to 70/30 so that I could rotate the car round the bends on the throttle. I can’t drift to save my life, and I’m no rally car expert, but at least these changes made it possible for me to start passing other cars!

The best I could do after about ten attempts at the race was P3, and that wasn’t the clean drive that I ordinarily pride myself doing - I bounced off competitors more than a few times! I can’t see how I’m possibly going to win the race in the Scooby but isn’t that always the way before you spend the next week perfecting your lines, eking out every last tenth and then surprising yourself one day, only to then wonder why you ever considered that particular race to be a problem!

So the point of this post (yes, I will get there), is to ask how anyone can possibly win a race like this one without a FF wheel and a PSVR2? This race is the perfect example of the need to master weight transfer during breaking before a turn …multiple times each lap.

For example, you floor it from the top of the hill, steady-as-she-goes through the first S bend, then tear round the right hander and oh-so-deftly apply a little brake to stabilise the car without ending up sideways into the tunnel. Then you floor it round the right hander and have to brake at the very point where the camber changes and you need to set the car up for the left-hander.

The need to feel and judge the weight transfer at this point is like nothing I have ever experienced in sim racing before (maybe I need to lower the suspension even further), and it makes for one hell of a challenge. I know I’ve only just started in this car and this circuit, but I can’t ever see myself winning this race. So how do flat-screen racers judge that left hander, for example? In VR with a wheel and haptic feedback, you can feel every nuance of weight shift, but I can’t imagine that you’d get even a fraction of that sensory feedback in 2D - am I wrong?

EDIT: Just had another few attempts. Tyres: RM. Fuel Map 5 (pit on lap 6; runs out of fuel going over the finish line). Gearbox top speed: 220. Found the back end is loser for rotating around the top end at 20:80. Found the suspension height is better for the weight transfer at a height of 100:100. Still only managed P.3 but right on tail of P.2, 5 secs off the win. This is one hell of a challenge, and absolutely superb as a VR experience with all the mountains looming up around you 👍

Last edited:
I was trying to get a clean race bonus at the new Eiger Gr.4 single player race with hard AI and no driving aids the other day, it's not easy. Using the modern WRX rally car, RM tires and 30/70 torque split, 300 on custom transmission, high RPM turbo, slightly lowered suspension, default ABS, and nitrous! LOL

I limited it to 700pp using power restriction even though I didn't have too, just out of habit, didn't realize it till after race. I think I could do it without nitrous now. But on my last race my wheel froze. I would have easily got a clean race win without the wheel freezing. Next I'm going to try to get a clean race win with the '98 Collin McRae car. It's a good challenge which is cool. Usually these single player races are too easy even with hard AI (edit- and clean race bonus). It's really nice to be able to look through the turns properly in VR on this track, helps me out a lot. Funny I golded the circuit experience with auto gears and a controller on flat screen though so they aren't that hard.

Last edited:
PSVR2 now £180 and $200 off in UK and US. Looks like they've finally hit a price point to entice those who were sitting on the fence. Hope we see a big increase in owners as I really want VR to succeed. Hopefully it'll lead to the F1 games ending up on PSVR2 as GT7 lacks the ability to create proper offline championships with qualifying. Love racing Sophy though. I had that eventually becomes the standard ai, although that has improved too. Had a great race as part of the menu books at Interlagos the other day and the AI were making mistakes and being more aggressive in racing against me.

Try Synth Riders (avaliable on PS Plus Premium) and Tetris Effect Connected .... both amazing experiences!

Apart from GT7, of course.

There´s on thing to mention on VR .... I noticed it on Spa after the update. The "glare" on the left window is quite higher. I´m using a white helmet. Could it be that thing that some other users mentioned about interior helmet reflections? It´s quite impressive.
I try that too...not a fan of a lot of the music, even bit the bullet on beat saber and got the daft punk pack...i was kinda disappointed with that games music selection too.

Tetris is probably next

I just saw the updated aces of thunder trailer soo fingers crossed for this game by end of this year

Played GT7 in VR all weekend...since it's been so long since i played I can't tell any difference with the physics

Last edited:
It sounds positive

"there were more PSVR 2 sales yesterday than in the first seven months of 2024 combined".

but then you look at the numbers - a table posted on resetera says there were only 7200 sets sold in that time period. We're still looking at very small sales totals that are dwarfed by the Quest.

It sounds positive

"there were more PSVR 2 sales yesterday than in the first seven months of 2024 combined".

but then you look at the numbers - a table posted on resetera says there were only 7200 sets sold in that time period. We're still looking at very small sales totals that are dwarfed by the Quest.
I think nobody now expect it to beat Quest. Its just need to survive right now.

Good to hear, hoping that helps to keep PSVR2 going for a while because I honestly think it's the best experience in gaming in a long time for me. Haven't played a whole lot of GT7 in VR yet, though.

Also, hoping that with PC compatibility that Steam gives back to PS players and releases some titles such as Half-Life: Alyx on PSVR2.

Last edited:
As far as Sony is concerned it’s dead.
It would have required quite a few, good titles to showcase its capalities.
Also losing opportunities doesnt really help creating an image.
RE7 VR definitly was a beast of a game.
But where was VR2 on any of the more recent ones?

And the lack of first party titles also is more like the message "we dont really wont to get involved with it".

They are just clearing stock.

I’m just happy they made it in the first place because it’s the only way I play GT7. (The best way)
I won’t be playing GT8 if VR isn’t available. I assume there’s a big chunk of us that are VR only players now. I pretty much expect to have to build a PC VR rig in the future and switch to iracing and ACC or whatever good VR racing game is available when that time comes.

I’m just happy they made it in the first place because it’s the only way I play GT7. (The best way)
There are rumors about 2 First party titles for PSVR2. So they are doing „something”
Also, we don’t see much announcements for normal PS5 first party titles either and I doubt they abandoned PS5 ;) I still hope for PSVR2 but definately will be looking for PCVR adapter.

It would have required quite a few, good titles to showcase its capalities.
Also losing opportunities doesnt really help creating an image.
RE7 VR definitly was a beast of a game.
But where was VR2 on any of the more recent ones?

And the lack of first party titles also is more like the message "we dont really wont to get involved with it".
The entire VR market cooled off significantly while they were still in R&D. They were already in too deep to pull the plug, but you could already tell from the very low key reveal (blog posts) that they had very low hopes for the device.

From what I heard it still managed to sell way below their lowered expectations.

It sucks, but that's how it is.

Neither the market nor the technology are ready.

Apple are also learning that right about now.

I won’t be playing GT8 if VR isn’t available. I assume there’s a big chunk of us that are VR only players now. I pretty much expect to have to build a PC VR rig in the future and switch to iracing and ACC or whatever good VR racing game is available when that time comes.
100%

There are rumors about 2 First party titles for PSVR2.
GT8 should be one of them.

Last edited:
Look... I'd love for GT8 to support the PSVR2 because I doubt a third headset is being developed by Sony...

But PD hasn't improved the current PSVR2 experience since launch. If PD doesn't provide QOL updates after the PS5 Pro releases, I wouldn't expect them to support GT8. Sadly.

Look... I'd love for GT8 to support the PSVR2 because I doubt a third headset is being developed by Sony...

But PD hasn't improved the current PSVR2 experience since launch. If PD doesn't provide QOL updates after the PS5 Pro releases, I wouldn't expect them to support GT8. Sadly.
I‘m very very sure that GT7 will be one of the „upgraded“ titles for the ps5 pro and some visual improvements for the VR will be included, too.
But I see your point regarding possible VR UI enhancements that are still sadly missing.

I‘m very very sure that GT7 will be one of the „upgraded“ titles for the ps5 pro and some visual improvements for the VR will be included, too.
But I see your point regarding possible VR UI enhancements that are still sadly missing.
According to what I've read/listened to (Direct Foundry) it seems like some improvements will be baked into the PS5 Pro, thus NOT requiring Devs to do anything. That is our best case scenario with PD cus who knows if/when they'll do anything as it pertains to peripherals.

If we can get enhanced clarity, that'd be a godsend. If I were to be a little greedy, larger grid sizes would be amazing too. Maybe PD is waiting for the Pro model before updating the UI...

We’ve got new rims 2,5 years after release. Rims which were hinted some months after release.
We still didn’t get rain on other tracks even when Deep Forest was hinted.
We still didn’t get new missions and championships. PD added new Music Rallies year ago.

As you can see PD is adding stuff it is just very very slow at it. There could be something new for VR coming, you don’t know this.

Your a video guy, ya?

Remember the a7R? And S..

We nuked a phase and a hassy. Thought we were being smart going with the R..cause resolution. Wow that was fun.

Anyway, sony’s behavior on that little gem kinda gives me hope

From Valve's perspective, why port the game to PS VR2 when users could just buy & play the existing Steam version using the new app?

For those who don't have a PC.

Maybe it doesnt make sense from Valve's perspective but just hopful thinking I guess. Playstation is porting games for Steam players and now have an accessible VR for them as well, so it would be nice to be able to play some Steam games without having to use a PC and buy an adapter.

Back