GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,803 comments
why did PD decide to include the MFD and laptime in VR mode but didn't include the race order and gaps? I had such an issue yesterday in a lobby, I have no clue in quali where I am, and the race is even worse, not knowing if someone is gaining behind, not knowing if I'm making any progress compared to the leader... Just very blind feeling
Aye. It bugs everyone, and makes no sense whatsoever...
I guess just another one of those low-hanging fruit PD oddities.
I was thinking this will be added/fixed immediately, and here we are a year++ after release with no change on this.
:/

Please @ PD, add all options non vr drivers have, or better, make them fully customizable for vr & non vr (and add tire temp & all... :D).

Last edited:
Re face grime. Its brutal and micro fiber/lens cloths so a good job. For a while. But they fill up with grease and soon will smear it around. Best option is to buy a pack of lens cloths from b&h, then use Zeiss lens wipes first, the wipe up with a cloth.

As for just one more card to the vfd. Yep. We all thought that was going to come the first month…then the second for sure! Yeah..now were here.

Ps: i would have settled for a ‘billboard,’ next to the pit lane with a lap count and small leaderboard. Or whatever. Omg just give me the lap count. Apparently counting to 10+\- is harder than I thought! Lol. Seriously though..can’t tell you how many times i pull up fuel consumption to ballpark myself 😂

I'm seeing double all the time, especially when reading something on my phone or on the monitor, I find myself constantily leaning back and putting my phone further away so I can read
To me, that sounds like getting old. Once you turn over 40 your eyes lose the muscle strength and flexibility in the cornea for close up vision. The VR is a fixed focal length of 2m so not having the constant changes on focal distances may be causing you to notice this more. I would suggest taking the headset off between races to aid in this, which leads to the next point.
Second point, sweet spot. It's so hard to maintain
I ordered this https://amzn.to/3Yw8ow5 from recommendations here. I really made a huge difference in holding the sweet spot and it's much easier for taking off and on between races that may help with the eyesight as well.. It also made the headset more comfortable to wear.

Omg just give me the lap count
That is one thing we do have!

Screenshot 2024-08-04 at 8.50.32 AM.png

Last edited:
To me, that sounds like getting old. Once you turn over 40 your eyes lose the muscle strength and flexibility in the cornea for close up vision. The VR is a fixed focal length of 2m so not having the constant changes on focal distances may be causing you to notice this more. I would suggest taking the headset off between races to aid in this, which leads to the next point.

I ordered this https://amzn.to/3Yw8ow5 from recommendations here. I really made a huge difference in holding the sweet spot and it's much easier for taking off and on between races that may help with the eyesight as well.. It also made the headset more comfortable to wear.

That is one thing we do have!

View attachment 1378157
Bah. That thing!

My bad, it annoyed me and has been off since the first week. Totally forgot.

To me, that sounds like getting old.
Probably, 39 this year :D

I ordered this https://amzn.to/3Yw8ow5 from recommendations here.
Looks great but unfortunately I cannot order from Amazon to Serbia, my options are Aliexpress or Temu, I think I will find some alternatives there. Thanks :)

Its brutal and micro fiber/lens cloths so a good job. For a while. But they fill up with grease and soon will smear it around.
Yup, all microfibers do a great job, once or twice, when they are brand spanking new :lol: I will try your suggestion with the individual wipers!

Honestly the earbuds that came with the PSVR2 don’t really sound any worse than these headphones, in fact, the pretty comparable, but I prefer having something not in my ear.
To reply to myself I actually went back to the earbuds that came with the PSVR2. They actually have more bass but the critical thing was that it is just easier to get the headset off quickly post-race so I can switch back to 2d for for doing screen grabs of the results board. I always take off now between races and I find I can go a long time without messing my head up. For instance I survived 21 races this week!

Last edited:
Did a Super Touring replica race without VR in cockpit view while watching/listening to a real world 2008 WTCC race at Monza. Can’t see how I used to race like this since cockpit view been available GT Sport. I was missing so much road “feel” and visual & audible awareness information while driving.

Reading all these comments... I just had to do it.

View attachment 1376972

I set up everything last night and had my first proper go with this, having basically no previous VR experience whatsoever.

First thing I did was going to VR showroom with my factory red F40, in front of the GT Cafe, and oh my god jesus christ, I almost **** myself from amazement when the image appeared, I was literally reaching with my hand to touch the car. Chrouched down to read the details on the tires, looking at the brakes, the lights, the details are ridiculous.

I spent the first hour probably just switching between cars and admiring the enteriors and exteriors, and then it was time to have the first drive. Jumped back in the F40 and gave it a spin on Grand Valley at sunset. No words to describe the feeling, the seating position, the sound, steering animation, the sense of depth, the surroundings. Tracks seem wider, and I don't know how but I can actually feel the elevation change even without the motion sim, probably the brain doing its things. I felt a bit sick in the first 30 seconds, but it just dissapeared when I processed everything and got used to it, and I kept on driving for the next 4 hours without a single issue. Well, that's a lie, I have issues today because I can't keep my eyes open at work because of the 3AM driving.

Some positive conclusions from the first session:
  • The feeling itself is incredible while driving, really not comparable to the TV, it's like a completely different game, like it's not even a game
  • The best moment of the entire session is when I had my first proper race against the AI, group 3, Spa, cars flying and buzzing around you, in front of you, going throug eau rouge at full speed and competitors are right there 1 meter left or right, it was actually scary at some point, I was literally afraid that I will crash into somebody, I felt like in real traffic
  • When braking too late and hitting someone from the back, even if it's like just a small tap, you get a real sense of space, how long is the bonnet, and the additional feedback/vibration from the headset makes this even more immersive, I was feeling bad like I just caused a real accident :lol:
  • I think I can catch the rear end much much quicker and easier, almost didn't have a single spin, even in the Gr3 Merc at Spa, in the rain, without TC, somehow you just feel the car much better than in 2D view
  • Feeling of the elevation change is mind boggling, tried the 190E Evo at the Eiger 500PP race, and I was left speechless
  • Now all the PD bull**** about collecting cars actually makes some sense, driving the legends even in stock form is an incredible experience, even if they are not usable in races and events, just sit in them and drive around the Ring/Valley/Spa/Eiger and enjoy
  • I actually had no physical issues, I read about motion sickness, sweating, headaches etc... None so far

Some negatives:
  • I definitely have to practice this very much, I'm not nearly as fast as on the TV, but I expected this, it's a process, like changing from the pad to a steering wheel, I kept missing my braking points and I still need to learn what the real track limits are
  • I'm really missing the race order list while racing, I don't know the gaps, that's probably my biggest issue with this, rest of the HUD is more or less ok, but how is it possible that we don't have the option to turn this on?
  • The VR2 itself is a bit picky when scanning the room and maintaining my play area, had to readjust 5 or 6 times, and every time I turn off the lights and the TV because I don't want to wake the kids, it has some issues after a while and I had to rescan the room (even though I'm sitting in the same place all the time, in my sim rig)
  • The sharpness and the clarity is far from ideal, I mean I was not expecting it to be as crisp as on a new 4k TV, but still I believe this could be much better, when I'm driving the car enterior looks sharp and nice but the track in front of me is kind of blurry and pixelated, I hope this will be improved with some later update or even with a PS5 Pro / PS6 / whatever is next
Can't wait for my next session tongiht :D
Welcome to VR2 with GT7...

For those who haven't Experienced it.. you would not believe what is being said here.

No need to be skeptical... Just enjoy

Last edited:
Eagerly awaiting @Bass Addict 's first hands (headset) on impressions ;)
I had plenty of time this past weekend to experience GT7 in VR. As an owner of the previous PSVR headset with GT Sport, I expected a much, much better experience and I wasn't let down at all. :D

Note: I have owned an Oculus Rift, Quest and Quest 2 with a large library of apps. On a side note, I love Home Theater 3D Movies with a JVC projector in a dedicated space. I like the extra dimension to immerse myself in the experience. I also have a small, dedicated space (12' x 5' x 7') with my racing rig, PS5 and a 55" 4K UHDTV with HDR that I sit 36" from the screen. This space is very immersive for a 2D presentation.

I plan on using the PSVR2 to enjoy GT7 in a totally different way. It delivers this in spades! I have a big grin on my face as I slowly go through my favorite cars and locations. In the near future, I will try the online TTs in VR to see how that experience changes and see how long it will take me to match my 2D times.

Thanks again to everyone here and their feedback! 👍

:cheers:

I decided to try the Sony 3D headphones that I had laying around rather than the VR head buds. I think I’ve lost grip with reality :D
They're great! I did just get a set of Pulse Elite headphones and I'll talk about those in a bit.

The VR buds are wonderful as long as you get a good seal. I used mine again last night for a short bit as my Pulse Elites ran out of power.
I wouldn’t ask her. She thinks I look stupid anyway. No point in proving her right!
I feel seen . . .

The resident "Swiftie" refers to me a the "VR Bug" when I'm driving.
How do you like those headphones? How is the sound field? (Lows/Mids/Highs). I am looking for some better cans to use with PSVR2 (My Sony Pulse Elites are garbage), and my JBL wired headphones are OK, but far from perfect (Not nearly loud enough, and they lack low end, similar to the Pulse cans).
I'd like to suggest a couple of things for the Elites.

I wore them over the PSVR2 and they were good . . . but lacked the bass I love in general. The upside is it's easier to hear my family call for me (with the buds I couldn't hear them at all - that's a feature, not a bug) but the downside is the lack of depth in sound.

Then I wore the PSVR2 over my Elites.

Game. Changer.

In addition to hearing music from my phone (various playlists depending on my mood) the sound is so much deeper. As a bonus, it isolates me from the other sounds of the house. Not quite as much as buds . . . but almost.
Re face grime. Its brutal and micro fiber/lens cloths so a good job. For a while. But they fill up with grease and soon will smear it around. Best option is to buy a pack of lens cloths from b&h, then use Zeiss lens wipes first, the wipe up with a cloth.
Camera lens equipment FTW. Dad built his own darkroom in the basement.
Ps: i would have settled for a ‘billboard,’ next to the pit lane with a lap count and small leaderboard. Or whatever.
This. A billboard would be great; I have no problem picking up flags, for example
Omg just give me the lap count. Apparently counting to 10+\- is harder than I thought! Lol. Seriously though..can’t tell you how many times i pull up fuel consumption to ballpark myself 😂
For the GTWS events I would calculate the number of miles/km for the race, figure out my pit strategy. Normally while there may not be a lap counter, there's often (but not always) a working odometer in the car. This gives me a window of a couple of laps for my strategy.

It works for me . . !

Last edited:
Okay, perhaps this is a dumb question but I just noticed that in my race recordings there now appears a GT7 logo imprinted on the video. I hadn't noticed this while racing but perhaps it is there, or it is added in the recording by the game. I never had such a logo for normal flat screen 4k recording; it is only for VR.

Screenshot 2024-08-06 at 9.33.27 AM.png

Is there anyway to switch this off?

Okay, perhaps this is a dumb question but I just noticed that in my race recordings there now appears a GT7 logo imprinted on the video. I hadn't noticed this while racing but perhaps it is there, or it is added in the recording by the game. I never had such a logo for normal flat screen 4k recording; it is only for VR.

View attachment 1378810

Is there anyway to switch this off?
Don’t think so.

Meant to thank you for sorting out all of that lesser tv with the psvr2 stuff this week. Im starting to notice that driving on the sofa…is going to leave a divots if i keep doing it. Much as driving with a pup on each hip is great. Subsequently, ill be moving into either the bedroom, or den eventually where the tv’s are all a bit older as we just buy for the living room, then kick the others to rooms where they will never get watched 😂

@Revengel i can still smell that smell 🤪.

@TheNormsk how are the lenses so far? What is your SPH? I recently went to check mine for the first time, I've got +0.5 on both, bought the glasses, it's a night and day difference when reading something or looking at the small text on my phone, so clear and sharp, but I didn't notice so big a difference when wearing them under the VR, I mean I can do it, no issues, there is actually quite enough space, unfortunately the lack of sharpnes still remains, I guess that's the limitations of the game/console/graphics, not my eyes :D

@TheNormsk how are the lenses so far? What is your SPH? I recently went to check mine for the first time, I've got +0.5 on both, bought the glasses, it's a night and day difference when reading something or looking at the small text on my phone, so clear and sharp, but I didn't notice so big a difference when wearing them under the VR, I mean I can do it, no issues, there is actually quite enough space, unfortunately the lack of sharpnes still remains, I guess that's the limitations of the game/console/graphics, not my eyes :D
Mine is +3 to +3.25 depending on the eye plus negative cylinder and wacko axis. My eyes are a mess. The VR-Lens-Lab lenses are good. Made a big difference and they are a high index type lens so they are about as thin as you can get them. That was the reason I went for them over others. They also have an efficient design so there is no mount next to the nose.

I realized that just in the 2-3 weeks I was wearing glasses while waiting for the lenses that I'd started to scratch the coating on the VR lenses. Luckily not to any noticeable extent so far so these could not have come too soon.

The big visual improvement is the sweet spot is now larger. The periphery is still slightly blurry and the whole image is still softer than a tv but there is noticeable less chromatic (red/green separations) at the edges now and it seems more "put together" if that makes sense.

That said, still waiting for the laser image projected directly to the retina .... aka Ready Player One. :D

Last edited:
The big visual improvement is the sweet spot is now larger.
One other big improvement with lenses instead of glasses is that the arms of the glasses where opening small gaps in the light shield. And thos gaps were letting light in tha was causing reflections on the glasses, very annoying.

Got my lenses basically the day they came out.

VR Optician I think - are those still good?

Anyway - I think they're much better than contacts or glasses.

Last edited:
PSVR2 on PC chat split to new thread.

I think I may have found a change as a result of the 1.50 update. I think the recording resolution when in VR has improved.

I record all my races and occasionally TTs. All recordings prior to 1.50 the HUD would be very pixelated unless I was looking at it. Now since 1.50 (admittedly I've only done two recordings) but the HUD is now recorded with crisp clarity. I can't think on any other reason why this would have changed?

Before:
Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 2.08.08 PM.png

After
Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 2.05.26 PM.png

Last edited:
I think I may have found a change as a result of the 1.50 update. I think the recording resolution when in VR has improved.

I record all my races and occasionally TTs. All recordings prior to 1.50 the HUD would be very pixelated unless I was looking at it. Now since 1.50 (admittedly I've only done two recordings) but the HUD is now recorded with crisp clarity. I can't think on any other reason why this would have changed?

Before:
View attachment 1379379

After
View attachment 1379380
In the second pic, you are looking leftwards, which may be why the quality of the HUD is better. Do you have an example screenshot where the HUD is in a pixelated area, but the HUD itself is high resolution?

Hmm could be but we already see some reports that the overall area that is rendered sharp in VR seems to be larger than before with patch 1.49.
This might also depend on the car, track and probably the weather, etc.

Unwound highly doubt that 1.50 brought such an improvement. A direct comparison of the recordings between 1.49 and 1.50 would be interesting, with exact the same settings for the race.

I think I may have found a change as a result of the 1.50 update. I think the recording resolution when in VR has improved. I record all my races and occasionally TTs. All recordings prior to 1.50 the HUD would be very pixelated unless I was looking at it. Now since 1.50 (admittedly I've only done two recordings) but the HUD is now recorded with crisp clarity. I can't think on any other reason why this would have changed? Before: View attachment 1379379 After View attachment 1379380
Hmm but if you look at the HUD word "position" it looks worse or unreadable on the update screenshot you show.

Also the top image is 967x528 and the lower image is 970x528. Isnt that 1584 pixels missing?

In the second pic, you are looking leftwards, which may be why the quality of the HUD is better. Do you have an example screenshot where the HUD is in a pixelated area, but the HUD itself is high resolution?
If I look at video, it is apparently clearer even when I am not looking at it if the image is not jumping around a lot. It will still pixelate in a fast pan, but overall it looks a lot crisper. I did notice that it will still distort at the very edge of the image so it is like the focal circle has got larger.
Hmm could be but we already see some reports that the overall area that is rendered sharp in VR seems to be larger than before with patch 1.49.
This might also depend on the car, track and probably the weather, etc.

Unwound highly doubt that 1.50 brought such an improvement. A direct comparison of the recordings between 1.49 and 1.50 would be interesting, with exact the same settings for the race.
This is why I am surprised but I did not see any improvement with 1.49. Doing the Eiger TT the HUD was just horribly pixelated with the RA272. Perhaps I need to recreate that and see if that has improved. The RA272 at Eiger?
Hmm but if you look at the HUD word "position" it looks worse or unreadable on the update screenshot you show.
That just drifts in and out anyway from recording compression. Not in the same league as the HUD.

Also...right hand glove looks pixelated.

best tip is to replicate the screen shot identically so it can be overlapped for comparison

Tried to set up PS5 and PSVR2 last night, but as soon as I was entering a race the screen was black excepted all 2D elements like HUD.

Reset my play area twice to no avail.

Wonder what's the issue.

I am at my father's home and no access to TV screen hence the reason I wanted to use VR.

Any clue?

BWX
So the ones that are pre-moistened with alcohol are ok? Seems like I heard somewhere not to use alcohol or cleaners on these lenses. No signs of problems? I'd like to get the Zeiss ones that come 200 to a pack but they all seem to be the ones with alcohol. Just ordered these to try out. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030E4UIQ?tag=gtplanet-20
Hope nothing bad happens to lenses!
Those are good. I use them, and have used them on very expensive kit, and things were good.

@Lomic only had things go weird like that about 6mo ago. Fully cleaned the front lens’s and rebooted everything and it cleared up.

Latest Posts

Back