GTA 5 Controversy in Australia

• Thread starter FoRiZon
  • 108 comments
I suppose the only way that Take-Two and Rockstar games can satisfy these feminists is making their protagonists all women, all of the prostitutes are men, there is an ability to castrate men, and that women are paid much more than men (By like a 500:1 ratio). I bet the sales would be enormously successful, not because it is a Grand Theft Auto game, but because this type of game would attract the same demographic that loved Fifty Shades of Grey.

I guess Rockstar's excuse for the strange society would be that Vice City changed a lot since the 80's.
:rolleyes:

...Where's the uproar about being able to kill drag queens/transsexuals, by the way? Or the fact that I can go to the countryside and kill every immigrant working the fields that I see? You don't see the game getting pulled from shelves because of "hate" against those two minorities :rolleyes:

I suppose the only way that Take-Two and Rockstar games can satisfy these feminists is making their protagonists all women, all of the prostitutes are men, there is an ability to castrate men, and that women are paid much more than men (By like a 500:1 ratio). I bet the sales would be enormously successful, not because it is a Grand Theft Auto game, but because this type of game would attract the same demographic that loved Fifty Shades of Grey.

I guess Rockstar's excuse for the strange society would be that Vice City changed a lot since the 80's.
I think I was stoned when I wrote this. lol

...Where's the uproar about being able to kill drag queens/transsexuals, by the way? Or the fact that I can go to the countryside and kill every immigrant working the fields that I see? You don't see the game getting pulled from shelves because of "hate" against those two minorities :rolleyes:

Wasn't there a mission where you had to catch Mexicans and deport them?

what about the bible? :D

The Bible isn't misogynistic, it just tells the truth about women being the reason we're all doomed to Hell, and that they shouldn't talk, and that they were solely created so we'd "have something to do." :dopey:

What if I told you there is male prostitutes, I've seen countless cross dressers on this game, and to make sure I'm equal rights I killed some as well LOL.

In case you need another proof that Feminism, in the English-speaking world, has been **** over by a new wave of uneducated morons.

In which way does GTA promote violence over women? Statistically speaking GTA V is the first game in the series to never tell you to do harm or kill a woman. It is also the first GTA to allow you to play as a female character (at least online).

As a matter of fact the only woman who has any relevance in the main storyline is Michael's wife, Amanda, a strong female character who leaves him when he shows his violent nature (only to come back when he's changed... Kinda). Not a role model, but all in all a positive female character.

As a matter of fact the only woman who has any relevance in the main storyline is Michael's wife, Amanda, a strong female character who leaves him when he shows his violent nature (only to come back when he's changed... Kinda). Not a role model, but all in all a positive female character.
TBH, we're talking about the gal who cheats on Mikey multiple times. Great positive character there. ;)

People who blame GTA for violence in the real world are stupid I have GTA 3, GTA 4, GTA 5, GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas and I haven't robed any banks in real life and I don't hit women and I don't steal cars you can't blame the game.

People who blame GTA for violence in the real world are stupid I have GTA 3, GTA 4, GTA 5, GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas and I haven't robed any banks in real life and I don't hit women and I don't steal cars you can't blame the game.

One data point proves absolutely nothing.

Your wrong.

Wow, good comeback. I guess you sure told me.

I've got a friend who has played every GTA game, and he beats his wife, kills prostitutes on the weekend and hijacks armored trucks. And snipes policemen and dogs with his rifle. He's planning a pig-and-dog hunting trip this weekend. I think I might go along, it sounds like fun. We can stop by on the way home and pick me up a Ferrari, I haven't got one yet and there's a rich guy up the road we can steal from.

So you can blame the game for his behaviour, every bit of it.

Oh no! How are we to choose which of these conflicting YET SINGULAR accounts to believe?

Wow, good comeback. I guess you sure told me.

I've got a friend who has played every GTA game, and he beats his wife, kills prostitutes on the weekend and hijacks armored trucks. And snipes policemen and dogs with his rifle. He's planning a pig-and-dog hunting trip this weekend. I think I might go along, it sounds like fun. We can stop by on the way home and pick me up a Ferrari, I haven't got one yet and there's a rich guy up the road we can steal from.

So you can blame the game for his behaviour, every bit of it.

Oh no! How are we to choose which of these conflicting YET SINGULAR accounts to believe?

To blame a game for your behaviour is wrong you are responsible for your own actions and behaviour.

To blame a game for your behaviour is wrong you are responsible for your own actions and behaviour.

So say that.

By starting your whole story about "played GTA, didn't steal or murder" you're implying that there could be a correlation between a game and a person's behaviour, but that there wasn't in your case. And just because one person doesn't get addicted after using heroin doesn't mean that heroin isn't an addictive drug, just as one person playing a game and not emulating it says nothing about how influential that game is on people's actions.

Your example did nothing but detract from your argument. What you're saying here is an entirely different argument, and one that I agree with.

Actually, it's demonstrable that genetic factors, conditioning and outside influences can affect our behaviour. That's the whole basis of behavioural and developmental science.

-

What isn't demonstrable is whether games like GTA5 promote the negative behaviours featured in the game in otherwise mentally healthy individuals. Though they definitely do desensitize players to such violence, just as cable network news desensitizes everyone else to it.

TBH, we're talking about the gal who cheats on Mikey multiple times. Great positive character there. ;)

So did he. What I liked about their relationship is that it is clearly dysfunctional, but not because Michael's a man or Amanda's a woman, but because they're both assholes - it's not a role model, as I said, but it's a positive character in that it doesn't follow too tightly the gender stereotypes we've seen estabilished in many other videogames. I'd actually say that her not being a role model makes her far more likeable and believeable.

(Again, when I say "positive" I do not mean, "a paragon of virtues" or "an example our children should follow", but rather "a well done character that is quite believable both in her deeds and in her motivations. Which is really why GTA V, as... GTA-ish as it is, is quite great)

Back