GTP Cool Wall: 1961-1969 Lincoln Continental (4th generation)

1961-1969 Lincoln Continental Mk IV

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Once again, incredibly hard one, as it's 100% location dependent. In basically every city centre outside North America, it's terribly uncool, by the sheer size alone. The thing is, when not in tight place where simply fitting on a lane, or worse through the road, becomes an inconvenience in a car like this, it actually is very cool.

@Eunos_Cosmo summed it far more poetically than I can: everything is location - and purpose - dependent. It's odd that people only bring up how poorly a car is suited to a situation it was never designed for when they're going for an Uncool.

It's odd that people only bring up how poorly a car is suited to a situation it was never designed for when they're going for an Uncool.

Because it's likely the situation the car was never designed for is the only one those people will ever encounter the car in.

I'll never see a 4th gen Lincoln Continental cruising the highways of America, so to me it doesn't matter how good it is for that. If I do come across one at all, it's most likely to be in a car show or a museum - neither are cool places to be - and there's a very remote chance I might see one on the road here in the UK, our (compartively) small, narrow roads. So when people in Britain come across an American behemoth, or indeed any wide vehicle (say the latest Range Rover, which is 7cm wider than a 4th gen LC) taking up more room than is really necessary, they won't care what the car is - it's uncool because it's an inconvenience to them.

I'm fairly sure this is one of the reasons classic European and Japanese cars are more likely to get polled as cool - not only to they generally look good, they don't tend to annoy people. Unless they break down and get in the way. Those that have a reputation for that often get marked down.

I voted cool for this car, incidentally, because it isn't an overly gaudy, loud lump like so many American cars of that era were and you could actually look quite sophisticated in just about any setting in one.

Back