GTP Cool Wall: 1994-1999 Toyota Celica GT-Four (ST205)

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 77 comments

1994-1999 Toyota Celica GT-Four (ST205)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's not difficult to grasp, it's quite bluntly stupid. There is absolutely no connection between physical accessibility and coolness. Not being able to drive a car has nothing to do with whether or not it is cool. It's like saying the International Space Station is uncool because you'll very likely never live there. Or Picasso's paintings are uncool because you'll never have one hanging in your house. Just because something is not realistically obtainable doesn't make it uncool. It's a nonsensical reason only invented to arbitrarily perpetuate this horrible, baseless, stupid thing that is SUBRC.

Whambulance3.jpg

Thoughtless posts as usual, I see.
This would sting perhaps a bit more if you didn't just go on an impressively whiny sounding tirade about something 13 months after it stopped really being relevant.

What, someone said SUBRC and you felt that was all the in you needed to get something off your chest that is in no way original besides how upset you are about it?

It's not difficult to grasp, it's quite bluntly stupid. There is absolutely no connection between physical accessibility and coolness. Not being able to drive a car has nothing to do with whether or not it is cool. It's like saying the International Space Station is uncool because you'll very likely never live there. Or Picasso's paintings are uncool because you'll never have one hanging in your house. Just because something is not realistically obtainable doesn't make it uncool. It's a nonsensical reason only invented to arbitrarily perpetuate this horrible, baseless, stupid thing that is SUBRC.

Which wasn't what was said, what was said is that race cars aren't road going realistic cars. Most of the cars on the cool wall will never be driven by any of us and are still voted in varying degrees. So if that was what I was saying then I'd have said that. So good rant but you missed the point which in turn shows it was hard to grasp. Also nice prose at the end there.

Which wasn't what was said, what was said is that race cars aren't road going realistic cars. Most of the cars on the cool wall will never be driven by any of us and are still voted in varying degrees. So if that was what I was saying then I'd have said that. So good rant but you missed the point which in turn shows it was hard to grasp. Also nice prose at the end there.
What makes road cars "realistic" and race cars not? They both exist in the real world, no?

What makes road cars "realistic" and race cars not? They both exist in the real world, no?

Well considering the term realistic has various meanings and not a concrete black and white of "does it exist or not?" Perhaps you should look to those, like for example one thing of being cool is drivability of cars especially among there class. Now there is a very limited number of road cars you could realistically drive.

In a real world setting, I don't know what is cool at all about an F1 car. I don't see how a car that lasts for 2000-3000 miles before going bust, needs a full on crew to start and maintain, has to have you have massively dedicated training to actually drive, and can only be driven in specialized areas,etc...is some how cool.

Well considering the term realistic has various meanings and not a concrete black and white of "does it exist or not?" Perhaps you should look to those, like for example one thing of being cool is drivability of cars especially among there class. Now there is a very limited number of road cars you could realistically drive.

In a real world setting, I don't know what is cool at all about an F1 car. I don't see how a car that lasts for 2000-3000 miles before going bust, needs a full on crew to start and maintain, has to have you have massively dedicated training to actually drive, and can only be driven in specialized areas,etc...is some how cool.
Why even apply real world settings to something as cool as an F1 car? It's near-unnatural zoom zippity zoom fast and agile, there really isn't exactly a reason for it to be uncool "in a real world setting" when the car is meant to rip and tear on the track. It does its general purpose, and that should be good enough for the car, and that's why it would be cool.

The ST205 is the ugliest Celica out there and the wing doesn't exactly help that. Couldn't really give a toss about the rallying pedigree either, no matter how good, bad or scandalous it is.

Uncool.

Why even apply real world settings to something as cool as an F1 car? It's near-unnatural zoom zippity zoom fast and agile, there really isn't exactly a reason for it to be uncool "in a real world setting" when the car is meant to rip and tear on the track. It does its general purpose, and that should be good enough for the car, and that's why it would be cool.

Tornado gave a relevant post that @Ettick saw go over his head.

For the same reason we don't vote on hot wheels, race cars are irrelevant to the cool wall and I explained partly why. Who cares what they unnaturally do, other than you obviously.

- Relevant post

He replied with a meme?

Yes he shared equal relevance with a poster that typically goes out of their way to talk down the poster rather than hash out the reasons. I could post up a few threads this same debate has had, it would help skip to the ending.
We don't vote on race cars because me, and many other people were annoyed with the fact that all race car threads just contained pointless arguments (like this one).

Uh no it was a pretty unanimous decision by those who actually have a say in the matter that there was no point to the cool wall having a pool on such vehicles. IF it was just down to the bitching of those who don't like people not having the same opinion as them...then this and many forums wouldn't exist.

Tornado gave a relevant post that @Ettick saw go over his head.

For the same reason we don't vote on hot wheels, race cars are irrelevant to the cool wall and I explained partly why. Who cares what they unnaturally do, other than you obviously.
...Excuse me?

Obviously there is more than just me who cares about "what they unaturally do." The way I see it, you just completely disregarded my post entirely and just went on to talk about how irrelevant my point was.

Not sure if I even should at all take you seriously man, come on.

Who cares what they unnaturally do, other than you obviously.
What they "unnaturally do" is exactly why they're cool, so taking it out of context is a pointless act which really does nothing but pad out your posts with useless rubbish.

Uh no it was a pretty unanimous decision by those who actually have a say in the matter that there was no point to the cool wall having a pool on such vehicles. IF it was just down to the bitching of those who don't like people not having the same opinion as them...then this and many forums wouldn't exist.
Arguing with the guy who ran the cool walls about how the cool walls are ran. Wow.

No...that's pretty much what it was. You might want to read from here onto the next page. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's just...what it is.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...omination-thread.282393/page-74#post-10910828

...Excuse me?

Obviously there is more than just me who cares about "what they unaturally do." The way I see it, you just completely disregarded my post entirely and just went on to talk about how irrelevant my point was.

Not sure if I even should at all take you seriously man, come on.

Well considering I was responding to you and not some collective, or hive mind being. I think the phrasing was fair. And you're excused, I didn't disregard your post, just saw it as the same remarks as the people you echoed and thus thought you could re-read my initial posts.

What they "unnaturally do" is exactly why they're cool, so taking it out of context is a pointless act which really does nothing but pad out your posts with useless rubbish.

Okay, I didn't take them out of context, just gave reasoning to why.

Arguing with the guy who ran the cool walls about how the cool walls are ran. Wow.

What does this have to do with anything? He wasn't the first person to run it nor the last, nor does everyone do it the same.

- Relevant post

He replied with a meme?
And that was exactly as much of a response as his post deserved. If Ettick wanted anyone to take him seriously on the matter, it would have been better for him to actually debate the matter when it was relevant to Cool Wall threads. Except even back then he just treated people like assholes:
Those are mind blowingly dumb reasons to say race cars are uncool.
Instead of, you know, discussing it. Tyger at least attempted that.

So why am I supposed to be impressed that he waltzed into this thread by latching onto something no one actually said to go on a tirade filled with stuff like this:
What a stupid reason.
It's not difficult to grasp, it's quite bluntly stupid.
It's a nonsensical reason only invented to arbitrarily perpetuate this horrible, baseless, stupid thing that is SUBRC.

The matter of race cars on the Cool Wall was settled in August of 2015, and no one ever made much of an effort to justify why it shouldn't have been. It's now October of 2016. In a thread that is only indirectly about a race car to begin with, what does a passive aggressive rant about SUBRC contribute to the thread besides how salty Ettick is that things didn't go his way in threads that are over a year old? What original thoughts are we supposed to gleam by him just repeating how stupid he thinks something is now that many/most of the people who attempted to debate with him aren't posting in Cool Wall threads anymore?

Well considering I was responding to you and not some collective, or hive mind being. I think the phrasing was fair. And you're excused, I didn't disregard your post, just saw it as the same remarks as the people you echoed and thus thought you could re-read my initial posts.
Demeans popular opinion as a "hive mind being", was a crux of his own argument...
Uh no it was a pretty unanimous decision by those who actually have a say in the matter that there was no point to the cool wall having a pool on such vehicles.
Unknowingly calls himself out for hypocrisy.
Who cares what they unnaturally do, other than you obviously.

I could post up a few threads this same debate has had, it would help skip to the ending.
Spoiler alert: it ends with you selectively replying to posts.

Anyone who can dedicate their time to argue against the fact that there's no longer a place for race car nominations here hasn't considered that a dedicated race car Cool Wall might be an option?

Yeah. You can totally do that. It's been 13 months and nobody's stopping anyone from going ahead with it. Or, you know, don't bother giving such obtuse troll posts irrelevant to the car poll a second of your time. Thanks.

This would sting perhaps a bit more if you didn't just go on an impressively whiny sounding tirade about something 13 months after it stopped really being relevant.

What, someone said SUBRC and you felt that was all the in you needed to get something off your chest that is in no way original besides how upset you are about it?
Not really sure how you thought my post sounded whiny. Your post, on the other hand, does a much better job at conveying that particular tone of voice.

If someone wasn't seriously defending GTP's worst hivemind ever "13 months" after it stopped being relevant, then maybe I wouldn't have posted that. But they did, and I felt like calling them out for it. Clearly you would have done the same thing, in fact you did do the same thing earlier in this thread, just in a low quality fashion.

Okay, I didn't take them out of context, just gave reasoning to why.
In a real world setting
Mmmmmkay.
What does this have to do with anything? He wasn't the first person to run it nor the last, nor does everyone do it the same.
Mmmmmkay, what I meant to say was you didn't know the situation but still proceeded to argue with someone who did. An example of stunning logic, again...
Anyone who can dedicate their time to argue against the fact that there's no longer a place for race car nominations here hasn't considered that a dedicated race car Cool Wall might be an option?

Yeah. You can totally do that. It's been 13 months and nobody's stopping anyone from going ahead with it. Or, you know, don't bother giving such obtuse troll posts irrelevant to the car poll a second of your time. Thanks.
An easy fix to a problem which shouldn't really exist.

Not really sure how you thought my post sounded whiny.
Usually only young teens call something stupid as if that is a tautology.

Your post, on the other hand, does a much better job at conveying that particular tone of voice.
Oh, I'm so hurt.

Though, as I said above, if you were going to say anything of particular value on the topic you would have done so where the topic was actually relevant and you had people still willing to discuss it.

If someone wasn't seriously defending GTP's worst hivemind ever "13 months" after it stopped being relevant, then maybe I wouldn't have posted that.
No one was. Though perhaps you can help with something. Tyger pretty conspicuously shied away from his claims that it was a "hive mind" after he was finally presented with stats for who had been voting Seriously Uncool on Race Cars so maybe you can actually put in an effort:
Let's try and get this cleared up. Here's the SU votes from the Corvette C7.R thread:
Cross reference it with this one from the Williams F1 car thread:

Over half of those names are identical. Here's a list for a supercar that might as well be a racecar:
And another race car:
Another race car:
Ditto:
Etc:
Again, a lot of the exact same names consistently; over the course of ~3 months. Which are the ones that don't count as sincere opinions on coolness? That is to say, which are the ones that are kneejerk reactions to try and sabotage (or, rather, "skew") a car's place on the wall because that person doesn't want it polled in the first place, instead of people just voting uncool for types of cars they think they are uncool? And/or the ones who are coattail riding and/or voting against what they actually think?
There's, what, 10-15 people who always or almost always vote seriously uncool on race cars according to the results above? And it's got to be some sort of majority to call those people out as you've done here...
You're making essentially the same argument that Tyger was, and you're needlessly more confrontational with making it, so maybe you'll be able to defend it since calling people out clearly isn't much of an issue for you.

But they did, and I felt like calling them out for it.
If that's what you think that was, by all means.

in fact you did do the same thing earlier in this thread, just in a low quality fashion.
"Low quality" = "didn't just call it stupid repeatedly as if that was an argument."

Demeans popular opinion as a "hive mind being", was a crux of his own argument...

Unknowingly calls himself out for hypocrisy.

Spoiler alert: it ends with you selectively replying to posts.

Your post is quite confusing, I didn't demean anything as hive mind. The user said that they weren't the only one with this opinion. I just wanted them to know that I'm giving their post it's individual respect at that time. As for the hypocrisy I recall many people that actually have the power to tell us what to and to not post being equally against the racecars in cool wall bit, so how me informing someone that I thought what actually was a valid or probable reason doesn't seem like hypocrisy.

@GranTurismo916 gave me a relevant post to inform me more so, nothing wrong with that.

Selective? How, I've tried to respond to everyone who's quoted me. Can you point to my selective actions?

This is for your new post that you quoted me on rather than an edit, which is what I'm doing here...

Also what's with the patronizing attitude? I mean someone calls my actions stupid and I try to rationally explain why I believe the cars are uncool. I mean at this point it has less to do with the reasoning behind SUBRC and more of people seeming to have a personal issue with those who easily believe in SUBRC.

Back