GTP Cool Wall: 1997-1998 Nissan R390 GT1 Road Car

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 95 comments

1997-1998 Nissan R390 GT1 Road Car

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted SZ and kind of wondered why so many people were calling it uncool. Then I realized that I gave the same vote to the Alfa Romeo and Aston Martin currently polling and noticed that this is nowhere near as cool as those. I have seen the error of my ways.

"Oh my gawd that's a Nissan Are-Three-Ninety-Gee-Tee-One Road Car."

This really tickled me. Couldn't help but hear it with a southern twang.

Jim-Ross-Net-Worth-2014.jpg

BAH GAWD IT'S A DNF FOR MARTAYNE BRUNDHALL! HE'S OUT! OUT! OUT!

Incidentally, I greatly prefer the blue R390 over the maroon one.

Last edited:
Makes me have a nostalgia trip every time I see a picture of one. Looks barmy and I love road going versions of race cars.

But drive one down the High Street and you'd look a right pillock.

Seriously Uncool.

Voted uncool, because a "homologation" special where only a couple are built is like the manufacturer saying "Look what we can build, but 🤬 you because you'll never own it, no matter how rich you are". I don't know, it all seems like a tease. The car has redeeming qualities though.

Homologation specials are generally cool, but this was created in an era where they took racing cars and made them just about road-legal. Most of them will never seen the outside of a museum. Might as well have been made of chocolate. Uncool.

I do love homologation specials, but trying to make a race car into a road car isn't cool at all.

SU it is.

Homologation specials are generally cool, but this was created in an era where they took racing cars and made them just about road-legal. Most of them will never seen the outside of a museum. Might as well have been made of chocolate. Uncool.

Nissan R390 GT1
Dauer 962
Porsche 911 GT1 Straßenversion
Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR
Toyota GT-One

The Toyota in particular looks absolutely ludicrous.

Toyota_GT_One_1.jpg

2 made, one owned by Nissan and other by some unknown car collector. That means that there are concept cars that have more examples made than this thing. It's basically Nissan saying that they could make road legal race car but they won't sell it to anyone. Seriously uncool.

I gave it a cool based pretty much on it being something we likely won't ever see again, let alone from Japan, thanks to regulations. Interesting enough car to not just be "meh".

2 made, one owned by Nissan and other by some unknown car collector. That means that there are concept cars that have more examples made than this thing. It's basically Nissan saying that they could make road legal race car but they won't sell it to anyone. Seriously uncool.

They were only required to build 1 car and selling it wasn't necessary. Screw you FIA!

I save my Sub Zero's for cars like this.
I don't buy in to this ' you would look like a knob driving one' or ' uncool because (it's pretty much a) race car' bull 🤬, it's fast, it's beautiful, and pretty much one of a kind.....very very definitely Sub Zero !
I mean do we all realise if wasn't for race cars we would have a world of boring, uninspiring cars on our roads today :confused:

Most modern race cars have pretty much nothing to do with most modern road cars, but most modern road cars are about as good as they've ever been. Other than vague rumblings of the VRH35 engine being the basis of the engine in the McLaren MP4, I don't really see what a one of one special has to due in terms of overall road car influence anyway.

Last edited:
An ugly homologation special. Most people probably knew this car through Gran Turismo, and it's reputation as another "cheat car" like the Chaparral 2J bring it down to Uncool.

FIA GT1 Homologation.
Gran Turismo icon.
2 known to exist.
Goes 220 mph.

Guess what I voted.
Exactly. What's not cool is the road car's consistent misrepresentation in the GT series. They consistently rate it at only 350 horsepower with a ridiculous top end of 150.

Homologation specials like this are cool. Though it would have been cool if they made a proper production run.

The GT1 road cars are among the best things to be made for the road (even if they weren't actually made for the road). I miss them dearly. The R390 looks fairly cool, even when compared to the others in its class. It's also one of the most extreme Nissan cars ever made and I do really like it when a manufacturer goes to extremes, even if they're not known for it.

A side note, I didn't learn about this car from GT. I actually discovered it's existence... through Test Drive.

Yawn.

Racing cars belong on the track - they just don't make good road cars, whatever the headline performance stats are.

Meh

Latest Posts

Back