GTP Cool Wall: 1998-2006 Audi TT (Mk1)

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 56 comments

1998-2006 Audi TT (Mk1)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Generally cool.

Except when they're broken down on the side of the road. Then they're not.

Damnit, tree'd by @Tornado :D

Prototype cheered by the masses, therfor produced by Audi. That alone is a seriously cool.
Design : Not a beloved design for me exterior wise. But the whole idea about only rounds is cool, and the interior is gorgeous...

Drivetrain:
1.8t
150Hp = good
180Hp = unreliable
225hp = reliable, strong builts, up to 300hp on stock internals, 400+ on upgraded parts

3.2 = meh, sounds really good, but heavier than the 1.8T on the front axle, thus unupgraded a huge tradeoff on handling for sound. And less reliable than the 1.8T. But tickle it with a turbo and you can see a 5 to 6xxhp figure

Cool.

Cool. Yeah, the design wasn't aerodynamically sound at first, but neither was the GT40. Both will be brought up in the future for their iconic designs. The exterior wasn't even the whole story; the TT's interior had an arguably larger influence on the industry.

Also, baseball seats.

I'd say 'meh' or 'uncool', but considering the TTs that followed it it's definitely the coolest of the breed. It has aged nicely and one in good condition right now would certainly be considered cool (y).

Iirc, they were illogically expensive and driven almost exclusively by rich kids. Uncool.

It's a Mk. 1, my favourite looking TT, and was widely regarded for its concept car aping styling being carried through to production unchanged. The TT however has been dulled over time due to dull diesel engined models and worse looks with each successive generation, but this model avoids this.

I'll give it a cool. Looked very good for the time and still holds up today I think. Also have a soft spot for the 3.2 quattro model, since it is just a Golf R32 with a good looking body. Sure, it has a few b:censored:end owners, but nowhere near the multitude of ones that the new TT or indeed any other Audi attracts.

Never liked the TT. Looks more like a beetle than the Volkswagen Beetle. Why not just buy an S5?

Uncool.

Never liked the TT. Looks more like a beetle than the Volkswagen Beetle. Why not just buy an S5?

Ummm....png

:confused:

These were stylistically a breath of fresh air when they came out, but look oddly dated now. I think future classic status is assured though. I preferred them without the spoiler but it seems everyone booked their early models in to have it added...aerodynamic issues aside, did it invalidate the warranty if you didn't take it back in? Would love to see a spoiler-less one.

Anyway nets off to a cool for me. Should've worn a VW badge though.

Mk I TT vs E85 Z4.

hairdresser vs midlife crisis.

FWD(or faux 4WD) vs RWD (and with the opinion of an I6).

No contest, both are uncool but if pick the Z4 everyday of the week.

What, how is this cool?

Hate hate hate, kill; kill; kill. EXTERMINATE. The original TT is the anti-car of coupes, it was just a golf in a stupid looking audi body, that was less practical.

And why? Because its pretty, no it's not, be honest, the Golf IV is a much much prettier car, only reason it didn't go as fast is because they held it back by not giving it "this" 1.8 engine.

The Golf IV GTI would've been much better if it had the same tune as the TT did, the final 2005/06 car had 240bhp and 320NM of torque, meanwhile the GTI had only 177bhp, and 235NM. Sure, it was a FWD car, but the TT got favoured, and that delayed the dominance of the GTI, and I don't like that.

What, how is this cool?

Hate hate hate, kill; kill; kill. EXTERMINATE. The original TT is the anti-car of coupes, it was just a golf in a stupid looking audi body, that was less practical.

And why? Because its pretty, no it's not, be honest, the Golf IV is a much much prettier car, only reason it didn't go as fast is because they held it back by not giving it "this" 1.8 engine.

The Golf IV GTI would've been much better if it had the same tune as the TT did, the final 2005/06 car had 240bhp and 320NM of torque, meanwhile the GTI had only 177bhp, and 235NM. Sure, it was a FWD car, but the TT got favoured, and that delayed the dominance of the GTI, and I don't like that.

"Ya know, after shopping for six months, driving dozens of different cars, and reading every review I could find, I've come to the conclusion that my needs are best met by one of two cars: the TT and the Golf."

-Nobody Ever

--

Seriously, those two cars were in no way competitors. Nobody cross-shopped them, so the idea that VAG held the Golf back to boost the TT seems pretty unlikely to me.

The MkIV Golf chassis was a dud compared to it's contemporary competition. It would have taken more than a hotter engine to make it 'dominate' anything.

be honest, the Golf IV is a much much prettier car

There isn't much of a discernible design to call pretty, if I'm honest.

only reason it didn't go as fast is because they held it back by not giving it "this" 1.8 engine.

The engine you'd also find in the S3 or Cupra R? VW must have had something else in mind for a hot Golf by that point.

The Golf IV GTI would've been much better if it had the same tune as the TT did, the final 2005/06 car had 240bhp and 320NM of torque, meanwhile the GTI had only 177bhp, and 235NM.

I'm guessing the idea of a VR6-powered, AWD GTI would come across as blasphemous in the Golf world. But that's probably why the R32 existed.

Sure, it was a FWD car, but the TT got favoured, and that delayed the dominance of the GTI, and I don't like that.

The R32 had already filled VW's hot hatch slot halfway through the MkIV's life. By the time the TT quattro Sport became available, the MkV was doing a pretty good job of making us forget about its dud of a predecessor anyway.

Talking to the wrong crowd, surprisingly.

This would also mean for another example using the logic everyone above me has applied, the GT-86 doesn't compete with the Golf GTI, because coupe =/ hatch.

I know, the TT was in a different price bracket, but we've seen the VAG do Audi > VW, but in ways other than performance to justify the premium price tag, usually interior quality.

I would put it out there, the Golf IV GTI was more of a drivers car than the Audi TT was. The TT was a posers car, for people who thought they were cool, the true sign of uncoolness. A real shame this has been miscatergoriesed, I see no redeeming features to this car, at all, versus the Golf IV GTI. Especially none that make it cool, on its own, or in comparison to ANY other coupe from the period. RX-8 (2001) infinitely cooler, Honda S2000 (1999) dominates a TT, Peugeot 406 Coupe (2001) gorgeous, speaking of how about the Alfa Romeo Brera (2005) barely comparable to a TT, Fiat Coupe (1993), there are probably a few others, but how is the TT "cooler" than anything it competes with (directly or otherwise)? Therefore, I can't consider it cool.

I don't think the TT was ever a problem for the Golf, in any way. The performance question has been answered, already, but even in terms of interior quality, at the time, the Golf IV was already noted for being head and shoulders above the competition.

The only reason VW would have for restraining themselves with the Golf would be to clear room vertically for the Audi A3... not the TT.

TT, Golf, A3. Doesn't really matter which one a punter opts for. You develop one platform and spin off a dozen slightly different variations to cover as many market segments as you can stretch it to. Throw in 3 or 4 differing engines that are also used on bigger and smaller platforms across the family. All profits go into the same pot ultimately.

^It's even worse now with the modular platforms.

... GT-86 doesn't compete with the Golf GTI,...

... RX-8 (2001) infinitely cooler,
... Honda S2000 (1999) dominates
... Peugeot 406 Coupe (2001) gorgeous
... Alfa Romeo Brera (2005) barely comparable to a TT

You see who drives Gt-86 and you drives GTI's? Completely different buyer group. At least here...

Rx-8. You mean the ones with the huge engines problems (do not turn off!) or the ones with a tad lesser oil consumption?
Honda S2000. Doesn't fit anything above 1.80m Not even talking about baggages.
406. Seriously? A GT-esque french quality built car against a lightweight low sitting coupe?
Brera. The ones with more electrical problems than a USDM TT?

TT vs GTI. For the engine it's clear. Audi doesn't want to give VW everything. Therfor the engine stayed with Audi, who developed the 225hp variants, that are even from the block an other story than the GTI versions of it.
If you put the R32 aside, VW still had the R5 4motion at that time. Lots of potential with that setup.

You see who drives Gt-86 and you drives GTI's? Completely different buyer group. At least here...

Clarification, buyers of a GT-86 will generally also consider a GTI, and vice-versa. Similar performance, price, type of car (driving oriented).

Rx-8. You mean the ones with the huge engines problems (do not turn off!) or the ones with a tad lesser oil consumption?
Both. Both are infinitely cooler, I didn't say more reliable, RX-8s are renowned for having difficulties if the buyers aren't careful with their maintenance. low maintenance cars aren't necessarily cool.
Honda S2000. Doesn't fit anything above 1.80m Not even talking about baggages.
Yep, still think you're missing the point of cool here, an FR roadster that revs to 9rpm odd by Honda is cooler to me, than a Golf with no rear seats or boot, with an Audi badge that costs more.
406. Seriously?
Yes seriously, it's one of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen, virtually unmatched by cars made after it, can't name more than a few I'd buy for looks alone. See, this car is also FF, but since its so beautiful, it has another quality that makes it cool, to me.
A GT-esque french quality built
meaning good, french have good build quality, its their material quality in the first place which isn't that up to scratch.
car against a lightweight low sitting coupe?
the 406 is a coupe based on a sedan. The TT is a coupe, based on a golf. For their desired outcomes, I favour the 406 any day of the week.
Brera. The ones with more electrical problems than a USDM TT?
Are you just confirming which cars I'm talking about? Or are you trying to give reasons why they aren't cool... Yes the Alfa Romeo Brera, I'm not familiar with the electrical problem count of either the Brera or the USDM TT, if you can accurately list both, then, draw why one is less cool than the other, go ahead.

Otherwise, the Brera may be one of the few cars that is even prettier than the 406 Coupe, personal preference. Also extremely cool with the V6.
TT vs GTI. For the engine it's clear. Audi doesn't want to give VW everything.
You mean to say, the VAG doesn't want to allocate too many resources to the lower brand VW, and instead save them for Audi cars (VW and Audi merged, VW is seen to be the dominant financial player). Yes, they don't, in this case it being a variation of the same engine they could've - and - it's a shame they didn't, because, the TT existed, hence TT gets more power.
Therfore the engine stayed with Audi, who developed the 225hp variants, that are even from the block an other story than the GTI versions of it.
If you put the R32 aside, VW still had the R5 4motion at that time. Lots of potential with that setup.

To me the Audi TT isn't a cool coupe, and I don't like that its place in the VAG displaced the Golf GTI of that generation.

The Audi TT Concept was amazingly cool. Like... amazingly. And they changed it a little bit for production, but still... cool.

And then people bought them. You know which people. And then some people crashed them in one of the most highly-publicised and embarrassing recall campaigns ever - one which actually taught a lot of people in Europe what a product recall was, because we just didn't get them until then.

So it's exactly as amazingly uncool as the concept was cool.

To me the Audi TT isn't a cool coupe, and I don't like that its place in the VAG displaced the Golf GTI of that generation.
Were you similarly bothered when the Corrado did the exact same thing for the previous generation of Golf GTI?

I'm sticking with what I said here. I don't think the TT and the GTi were cross-shopped against each other by very many people at all. I couldn't tell you why VAG decided to not share the TT engine with VW. But I feel fairly confident saying that it wasn't due to a fear of the GTi cannibalizing TT sales.

Back